Wow this makes me really sad :(

Eleonora

I feel like venting, so, sorry I guess.

Back in March my account got hacked and a couple hundred dollars worth of cartel coins was bought with my card (which didn't even have the money so I got hit hard with charges).

BioWare banned my account as a result. I got reimbursed but didn't get unbanned until a few days ago.

Like many of you, I have a whole lot of characters and some of them I don't play much anymore unless I need to craft something.

So just now I was looking for my smuggler because she's my money farming character... and after going back and forth a few times, I realize she is gone. Deleted. She had maxed biochem and several million credits (which I'm sure the hackers relieved me of first) and was very special to me.

I'm really unhappy, and I don't even know if I want to reroll her or not. This is just sad.

EDIT: And now her name is taken too, so whoever got "Hollie" on Ebon Hawk, GG I guess.

Why are hackers such a-holes?

Edited by Eleonora

Back in March my account got hacked and a couple hundred dollars worth of cartel coins was bought with my card (which didn't even have the money so I got hit hard with charges).

BioWare banned my account as a result. I got reimbursed but didn't get unbanned until a few days ago.

Like many of you, I have a whole lot of characters and some of them I don't play much anymore unless I need to craft something.

So just now I was looking for my smuggler because she's my money farming character... and after going back and forth a few times, I realize she is gone. Deleted. She had maxed biochem and several million credits (which I'm sure the hackers relieved me of first) and was very special to me.

I'm really unhappy, and I don't even know if I want to reroll her or not. This is just sad.

EDIT: And now her name is taken too, so whoever got "Hollie" on Ebon Hawk, GG I guess.

So... you lost millions of creds and a lot of time because your account was banned... and you're sad because the name was taken ? *facepalm*

How can you be hacked in this game by the way ?

First there is your login and password that ONLY you should know.

Second there is the app with your security key which is bound to your phone and account.

And Third , every time i try yo log into another computer or log in / out many times the game sends me a e-mail with a code to activate the game again.

The only way I can think of someone getting hacked is being dumb (like letting your account logged) or using credit spammers.

Edited by Suplax

So... you lost millions of creds and a lot of time because your account was banned... and you're sad because the name was taken ? *facepalm*

Second there is the app with your security key which is bound to your phone and account.

And Third , every time i try yo log into another computer or log in / out many times the game sends me a e-mail with a code to activate the game again.

The only way I can think of someone getting hacked is being dumb (like letting your account logged) or using credit spammers.

Yes, I am bummed about the name because it is the only thing irreplaceable. Creds and such suck to lose but they can be replaced.

As for the rest, I wish I knew, I am a very careful internet person. In fact, I don't even use my real name online and don't use facebook because I'm so thoroughly paranoid. My internet security is high. I never share passwords with anyone, even the people I'm closest with.

From what I can tell after the fact: Somehow they managed to force my account to use another email address, unhooked my security key, logged in and charged hundreds of dollars worth of cartel coins. Probably sent out some spam emails while they were at it I'm sure.

I have no idea how it happened, no idea how they managed it. Clearly I had a security breach somewhere, I'm personally blaming yahoo, since I believe most of that could be traced back to a compromised email account. Again though, never EVER share my passwords and all my secret questions are lies! (LOL)

So no, I don't know.

Sorry to hear about that. I don't know how you feel about special letters in your name, but if you really want to make "Hollie" again, you could try these:

ô = alt 147

ø = alt 0248

í = alt 161

ì = alt 141

ï = alt 651

It won't be exactly the same, but it'll be pretty close. Hope that helps.

Real stand-up guy here. :rolleyes:

Honestly most account hacks have nothing to do with any type of brute force break in..... It's a Con job.

It's likely they contacted the Email provider CS or SWToR phone CS and talked someone into giving them access....or both.

Reason I say those two in particular is because they were able to remove the security key feature......

It is usually a human breaking protocol that leads to your account being hacked if it is not your own error.

Edited by Soljin

I actually would dread losing a cherished name over any material asset in my MMOs. Like the OP said, credits and such can be replaced. Even with using special characters, it's never really the same. Though, you might try giving Hollie a surname and make use of the new space feature (OP has been gone long enough that she may not know about that). So, make your new gal "Hollie Smith" (or whatever).

Another option is to reach out to the new Hollie and ask for the name back. That may require providing them with a free rename token. But you're on Ebon Hawk (as am I), and most players are willing to be helpful. I have crafting alts and, if a player contacted me to acquire one of their names, I'd probably go along with it.

Edited by Thoronmir

I actually would dread losing a cherished name over any material asset in my MMOs. Like the OP said, credits and such can be replaced. Even with using special characters, it's never really the same. Though, you might try giving Hollie as surname and make use of the new space feature (OP has been gone long enough that she may not know about that). So, make your new gal, Hollie Smith (or whatever).

Another option is to reach out to the new Hollie and ask for the name back. That may require providing them with a free rename token. But you're on Ebon Hawk (as am I), and most players are willing to be helpful. I have crafting alts and, if a player contacted me to acquire on their names, I'd probably go along with it.

Yup Ebon Hawk is the south of SWTOR, we are all friendly folks, and have nice hospitality, but if you mess with us or someone we are friends with we just point to the shotgun over the fireplace mantel. :D

I know how you feel. My account was hacked back in september of 2015. Lost everything they could vendor. Then they deleted all my characters. I got them restored, but the items were not. It has taken me almost a year to get some of the characters geared up again. I just lost interest in playing the game though.

Since I did not play much before, after the hack it has become a chore to even log on. I have friends, and any Corellian League members that se this, you know who I am, I think you guys. I really should start playing more.

I'm just curious did you have a security authorization key thingy? Like the app on your phone or the physical key generator?

They should be able to restore the character, I'd call her Miss Hollie, with three snaps and all y'all.

Yeah, like I said, the advent of spaces in names opens up new options to replicate the name.

The first thing ... and I mean the very first thing after the OP reads this post ... should be making an alt to hold whatever name she decides to give Hollie. I'd hate for some troll to see your suggestion and make a "Miss Hollie" just to, you know, act like a troll.

Yeah, like I said, the advent of spaces in names opens up new options to replicate the name.

The first thing ... and I mean the very first thing after the OP reads this post ... should be making an alt to hold whatever name she decides to give Hollie. I'd hate for some troll to see your suggestion and make a "Miss Hollie" just to, you know, act like a troll.

Indeed, if I were near my terminal and could log in to the game I'd reserve it and offer it up for free if needed :)

From what I can tell after the fact: Somehow they managed to force my account to use another email address, unhooked my security key, logged in and charged hundreds of dollars worth of cartel coins. Probably sent out some spam emails while they were at it I'm sure.

I have no idea how it happened, no idea how they managed it. Clearly I had a security breach somewhere, I'm personally blaming yahoo, since I believe most of that could be traced back to a compromised email account. Again though, never EVER share my passwords and all my secret questions are lies! (LOL)

So no, I don't know.

Sorry to hear you were hacked. It does happen in SWOTR, but not like it does on many other MMOs. There is plenty of security protocols available to users to prevent this with SWTOR.

From your description above, and given your network was secure, they probably either phished you or hacked your email and then entered from there. That does happen to be one of the easiest ways to dismantle an SWTOR account. But even then, they would have had to have your secret questions (assuming you used no security key) as well.

Phishing is probably the most popular approach, and while some attempts are pretty lame, others come across looking valid on first blush.