One planet is not an expansion

Darth-Rammstein

Wrath was by no means big. I went from BC L70 and gear cap, to L80, in T6 raid gear in 7 days flat. Arguably, Burning Crusade was their largest expansion. Cataclysm sure wasn't huge, they just upped the level cap and boosted hitpoints and damage numbers on NPCs so it took longer, and used other petty tricks like putting certain gear on certain factions (and I still went from 80-85 in 1 day).

Don't even sit there and try to equivocate SWTOR and WoW, when nobody has even seen Makeb yet except the development team.

Edit: Or you can equivocate, but then that's like arguing before a court of law, with zero evidence in your possession to successfully win your case before the judge, let alone state your case.

You dont have to see Makeb, go replay Alderaan or Belsavis ( minus class story) and thats your Makeb.

Few months ago they themselves called it NON EXPANSION CONTENT UPDATE.

Renaming it to "expansion" wont change that little fact.

Planets... Not planet, but planets :> Maybe it's of a size of Belsavis, Tatooine and Hoth altogether?

Reading dev tracker goes a looooooong way: NO its NOT that big.

Its one zone. One planet. Big as some we already have.

Edited by GrandMike

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If BW adds 1-2 planets a year, I am fine paying $10 for them and some accompanying content, such as a WZ and PvP area, since I like PvP the most of all the endgame activities. Others may get a Op and FP, too.

The story is the best part of the game, and I think most of the planetary arcs were well done. If they put a lot more effort into making the Makeb planetary arc really good, as they indicated it would replicate the earlier quests such as the Revenite and Black Bisector ones, then the story will be engaging and it will be a lot of fun to level your character through it, even more than once.

That was the best part of SWTOR, unlike other MMOs, leveling characters. Having the chance to do so on ones you've become attached to over the past year will be a good experience.

What I am skeptical about is Jeff Hickman and EA actually delivering good content on a regular basis of this nature. Something just doesn't smell right with Makeb - it's seems as though he and EA are trying to leverage everything that they can from it, indicating that other planets like it aren't likely going to be released often, are in development currently.

If this is the case, this game really has no future.

Lotro did a one zone expansion with 5 level increase only and several other 1 zone expansions, swg did 2 one planet expansions, everquest have done several 1 zone expansions, age of conan has done a 1 zone expansion.

Actually, AoC's only expansion is Rise of the Godslayer, which added 5 large outdoor zones, in a whole new country (Khitai).

The "Adventure" pack (Turan) has one new zone.

Free to play games never have a future. It just keeps the servers warm and investors happy until its time to turn out the lights.

However I do feel played with. The word expansion made me think 'chapter 4' of class story. That would have been really cool and something I'd have paid for. Another Belsavis to grind through, no way. I dread having to grind through planets in order to finish off the last story I want to work on (Sith Inquisitor).

This 'expansion' establishes a precenedant that they will never 'finish' the various character endings or the overall story arc which leaves a lot hanging. I guess the money isn't there, but it's depressing when you realize that this expansion meant to revitalize this F2P game -- is actually in fact the writing on the wall, in Blood.

Edited by Solinda

Planets... Not planet, but planets :> Maybe it's of a size of Belsavis, Tatooine and Hoth altogether?

They should really focus on extending the land on the current planets rather then making a whole new planet. Tattoine is a size of a penny, hoth size of a penny, belsavis actually makes it to a dollar of excessively watching your character ride on a taxi speeder without any freedom. Combining them will just be more linear gameplay with a bunch of quest hubs thrown into the planet. They are making it seem that all planets in star wars are very very small.

They should really focus on extending the land on the current planets rather then making a whole new planet. Tattoine is a size of a penny, hoth size of a penny, belsavis actually makes it to a dollar of excessively watching your character ride on a taxi speeder without any freedom. Combining them will just be more linear gameplay with a bunch of quest hubs thrown into the planet. They are making it seem that all planets in star wars are very very small.

Honesty adding more to current planets would have been a better use of resources.

Free to play games never have a future. It just keeps the servers warm and investors happy until its time to turn out the lights.

However I do feel played with. The word expansion made me think 'chapter 4' of class story. That would have been really cool and something I'd have paid for. Another Belsavis to grind through, no way. I dread having to grind through planets in order to finish off the last story I want to work on (Sith Inquisitor).

This 'expansion' establishes a precenedant that they will never 'finish' the various character endings or the overall story arc which leaves a lot hanging. I guess the money isn't there, but it's depressing when you realize that this expansion meant to revitalize this F2P game -- is actually in fact the writing on the wall, in Blood.

Tell me where they said they wouldnt continue class stories.

You are assuming a hell of alot here. They are obviously saving up the class stories for a full fledged expansion. I mean, much of the voice work is already done and the actors were locked in long term contracts. It does not make any sense to assume what you just did.

This is a digital expansion. Its to reinvigorate the game as you said and to test the waters. When they announce a second one with no full expansion in sight then you can start panicking.

Tell me where they said they wouldnt continue class stories.

You are assuming a hell of alot here. They are obviously saving up the class stories for a full fledged expansion.

Hence why this patch should not be called an "Expansion". We've been scammed.

Edited by siegedeluxe

We do, since they said it will be the same size as the larger planets currently in the game. So the same size as say Belsavis, Corellia or Hoth. Which is ridiculous for a paid expansion.

Hoth is huge, but mostly empty. If you had a planet the size of Hoth but filled it with stuff it would be more than big enough for an expansion priced at $10. The size of the landmass doesn't equal how much content there is.

You dont have to see Makeb, go replay Alderaan or Belsavis ( minus class story) and thats your Makeb.

Few months ago they themselves called it NON EXPANSION CONTENT UPDATE.

Renaming it to "expansion" wont change that little fact.

Good lord, that was MONTHS ago and it'll be almost a year since that statement until it'll be released. Do you ever stop to think how much stuff they've added to it since then? You have NO clue how much content there is. Maybe you should wait until we know everything before freaking out.

Good lord, that was MONTHS ago and it'll be almost a year since that statement until it'll be released. Do you ever stop to think how much stuff they've added to it since then? You have NO clue how much content there is. Maybe you should wait until we know everything before freaking out.

Good lord.

Makeb CONTENT UPDATE announced in June was supposed to have:

Makeb

Level cap raise

Op

FP

They even havent announced THAT much yet rofl. And it has been in production since BEFORE game launched and schedualed BEFORE the end of 2012. But they sure have renamed it to expansion and put a price tag on it 2xrofl

Edited by GrandMike

Good god, honestly.

It's $20 NEW. Twenty. Just because you can find ONE PLACE overcharging people for it doesn't make that the case. It's like saying "well this one guy on my block wants $10k for his 1987 ford 150 with no engine or transmission, must be what it's worth." Lol. Get real dude. Even if you buy it on Blizzard's own website is it cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Mists-Pandaria-PC-Mac/dp/B0050SZBP6

Ok, Walmart for the Expansion and the Collector's Edition:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria-PC-Mac-PC-Game/21365541

http://www.walmart.com/ip/World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria-Collector-s-Edition-PC-Mac-PC-Game/21365542

$39.96

----------------------

For K-Mart for just the Expansion:

http://www.kmart.com/activision-world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-pc/p-018V005296799000P?prdNo=1

$39.99

And for the Collector's Edition:

http://www.kmart.com/activision-world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-collector-s/p-018V005296800000P?prdNo=2

$79.99

----------------

For Best Buy for just the Expansion:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/World+of+Warcraft%3A+Mists+of+Pandaria+-+Mac/Windows/4005215.p;jsessionid=C0FCA4DD5DB7009E95327D2E967367CC.bbolsp-app05-56?id=1218446801938&skuId=4005215&st=world%20of%20warcraft:%20mists%20of%20pandaria&lp=1&cp=1

$39.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/World+of+Warcraft%3A+Mists+of+Pandaria+Collector%27s+Edition+-+Mac/Windows/6411359.p;jsessionid=C0FCA4DD5DB7009E95327D2E967367CC.bbolsp-app05-56?id=1218734648504&skuId=6411359&st=world%20of%20warcraft:%20mists%20of%20pandaria&lp=4&cp=1

$79.99

----------------

So yeah, it appears that ONLY Amazon has it for less and that the Actual Stores and the Store's online site has it for $40+. So look I actually made my case and showed that Amazon is actually underpricing the Game.

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100002176

Digital Download is $30.00 and the Physical Copy was $39.99 but is now $30.00. Could that be because it is, oh I don't know, the Holiday Season?

Edited by Altyrell

Actually, AoC's only expansion is Rise of the Godslayer, which added 5 large outdoor zones, in a whole new country (Khitai).

The "Adventure" pack (Turan) has one new zone.

Actually SOM in LOTRO wasnt called an expansion, and you got it for free if you took 6 months sub plan.

Ok, Walmart for the Expansion and the Collector's Edition:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria-PC-Mac-PC-Game/21365541

http://www.walmart.com/ip/World-of-Warcraft-Mists-of-Pandaria-Collector-s-Edition-PC-Mac-PC-Game/21365542

$39.96

----------------------

For K-Mart for just the Expansion:

http://www.kmart.com/activision-world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-pc/p-018V005296799000P?prdNo=1

$39.99

http://www.kmart.com/activision-world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-collector-s/p-018V005296800000P?prdNo=2

$79.99

----------------

For Best Buy for just the Expansion:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/World+of+Warcraft%3A+Mists+of+Pandaria+-+Mac/Windows/4005215.p;jsessionid=C0FCA4DD5DB7009E95327D2E967367CC.bbolsp-app05-56?id=1218446801938&skuId=4005215&st=world%20of%20warcraft:%20mists%20of%20pandaria&lp=1&cp=1

$39.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/World+of+Warcraft%3A+Mists+of+Pandaria+Collector%27s+Edition+-+Mac/Windows/6411359.p;jsessionid=C0FCA4DD5DB7009E95327D2E967367CC.bbolsp-app05-56?id=1218734648504&skuId=6411359&st=world%20of%20warcraft:%20mists%20of%20pandaria&lp=4&cp=1

$79.99

----------------

So yeah, it appears that ONLY Amazon has it for less and that the Actual Stores and the Store's online site has it for $40+. So look I actually made my case and showed that Amazon is actually underpricing the Game.

http://us.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=1100002176

Digital Download is $30.00 and the Physical Copy was $39.99 but is now $30.00. Could that be because it is, oh I don't know, the Holiday Season?

What does it matter how much it cost in <insert something> when you can get it for 20$.

I have stores with overpriced stuff all over the city lol Im sure i can find MOP for 60$. And? rofl

Edited by GrandMike

We do, since they said it will be the same size as the larger planets currently in the game. So the same size as say Belsavis, Corellia or Hoth. Which is ridiculous for a paid expansion.

Why do you think it's ridiculous? Just asking.

It seems fair to me. Some of those planets took forever! with Heroics, Bonus Series, etc.

Idk, it just seems pre-mature to whole hardheadedly bash it before you know for sure what's in it. Not saying you are, but some are. i hope it's allot and it's good, but the amount will be subjective. Some will think it's enough, some won't....in my opinion, right now we don't really know for sure.

I am a glass half full kind a guy.

Sorry EAWare but a single planet is not considered an expansion for any mmo. $10 isn't a lot of money but it shouldn't cost anything to subscribers to be honest. You have made a killing with the f2p shop, it's not like you're not making money off this game already! Not to mention you can't even purchase it with CC coins, just seems to me like another nickel and dime grab from your loyal fans.

And who is twisting your arm to buy anything ?

To give you all a better idea of Makeb's scope, it's a planet of equal size to our larger planets and it contains a variety of areas – sprawling mesas, underground caverns, garden estates, and more. It introduces faction-specific storylines, new Heroic missions and bosses, repeatable mission series, and new Datacrons! The 5 new levels will occupy players for a fair amount of time, and there's plenty of content to get you there (including a lot of stuff tucked away for the explorers out there). Keep in mind that this announcement is just the start – as we approach Makeb's launch, you'll see more details about the content coming with Rise of the Hutt Cartel!

Keep in mind you told us the speeder for Lifeday would be amazing and it was put together in 2 minutes and the community thinks it sucks. You'll have to do better if you want more money.

As a lover of SWTOR and a so called basher of this expansion let me say I have never said 'SWTOR sucks', The Dev's suck, ' This new stuff is crap and it sucks''.

I see this as a cash grab for the December figures and worry at the sign that this game is doing so badly that they ask for pre-orders on an 'expansion' without giving any details past the planet and levels. This could do a lot of damage to a minority of players and I am now officially worried, for the first time, for the future. The 11,000 cartel coins I had planned to buy on a monthly basis, and did last month, are now on hold until I know what is going on.

P.S love you too

1st off, what do you need 11,000CC's for each month? Am I missing something?

2nd, I worry to b/c I really like the game. I think they are in it for the long haul but you have to remember something. They went into this thinking this was going to be a sub only game for a loooong time maybe even forever. Then the mass exodus and they had to change. Now what they said before it was F2P changes and doesn't apply anymore b/c the business model changed. It sucks but we subs are paying for the exodus....in a way. There are MMO's that are out there and are sub only that still charge for their expansion so it's not unprecedented. Some even charge more. But I hear you. I was nervous when they went F2P. Why I try to help the F2P's whenever I can to hopefully keep them around and turn 'em into subs.

I'm ok with the 10 dollars for subscribers for the expansion, it's a steal really, what I'm NOT happy about is that subscribers will STILL have to pay to unlock the Cathar in the Cartel Market....

True, though at the same time I wish they would announce how much it will cost using Cartel Coin, that way people who don't feel like spending money to buy CC can know how much to save up or at least have for when the Cathar gets added. Given it would be nice if Subscribers either got the Cathar for free or had another way of getting them.

I'm ok with the 10 dollars for subscribers for the expansion, it's a steal really, what I'm NOT happy about is that subscribers will STILL have to pay to unlock the Cathar in the Cartel Market....

ooooo yeah no no. That me no likey either. I bust out the Pom Pom's for Bioware on a daily basis but that kinda sucks.

Good lord.

Makeb CONTENT UPDATE announced in June was supposed to have:

Makeb

Level cap raise

Op

FP

They even havent announced THAT much yet rofl. And it has been in production since BEFORE game launched and schedualed BEFORE the end of 2012. But they sure have renamed it to expansion and put a price tag on it 2xrofl

Just because you call it a CONTENT UPDATE doesn't mean it is one.

Just because you call it a CONTENT UPDATE doesn't mean it is one.

mmmm, THEY called it content update.

In fact it was specifically called "NON EXPANSION CONTENT UPDATE" rofl

You want to know why they called it like that, since you seem to dont know? Because IT IS ONE.

Edited by GrandMike