Any chance that crates will be addressed before 6.0??? They are boring and depressing

Opening crates is a "nothing" experience.

252 gear never drops. Nothing else in there is needed. Don't need anymore companion gifts. Don't need 246 or 248 gear and even when I do get some the UC's are too minuscule to bother with...

no use disintegrating, no use keeping...pointless and boring

Please increase chances to get meaningful gear or increase UC rate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im getting real sick of opening crates. Its tedious, uninteresting and gives mostly trash nowadays when we gear up through Ossus. Jedi under siege actually made Command crates totally redundant (except for the few CMT's).For 6.0 I'd want command crates to have better drops (no trash) and taking longer to earn. That way you would not have to sit and open 20 crates every night. Honeslty feels like work. I'd take 2 crates with good drops over 20 crates with mostly trash any day..

Trade the components for masterwork crystals on Ossus.

Things are not gonna change for 2-3 months. It's a waste of resources. What they could do is increase the drop rate for masterwork or monumental crystals coming from the crates. It's not like it matters anymore.

Though i do care a lot about the gifts i get from it. Wouldn't be able to level up my comps without it. Also am happy when i get the augment mats every once in a while.

Edited by Nemmar

That's one of the points I made. A piece of 246 gear, is only like 6 UC's. You need 500 just for one crystal. Do you realize how many crates you have to open to get 500 UC's? The rate is just way too slow and makes opening crates depressing, not rewarding.

So I'm of two minds on this:

1. Yeah, opening the crates is pretty dull, but since I'm still not to anything like tier 2, it's still profitable, to some extent, for me.

2. If they up it enough to make people happy, it won't be very long before we're here with "there's nothing to work towards".

Opening crates is a "nothing" experience.

252 gear never drops. Nothing else in there is needed. Don't need anymore companion gifts. Don't need 246 or 248 gear and even when I do get some the UC's are too minuscule to bother with...

no use disintegrating, no use keeping...pointless and boring

Please increase chances to get meaningful gear or increase UC rate

I wouldn't even expect GC to go away in 6.0 If you read the Spoils of War section it lists Galactic Command in it, so don't expect them to take it out when 6.0 comes out. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20190413

GC is a good gearing method for casual players. I do believe that all players should have acess to a progression road in gear, no matter their prefered play style. Though the most challenging stuff should reward it faster. Edited by Nemmar

GC is a good gearing method for casual players. I do believe that all players should have acess to a progression road in gear, no matter their prefered play style. Though the most challenging stuff should reward it faster.

Agreed, that's why I like how gearing was up until 5.2-5.9 (granted I actually like it for 5.10 as well not counting MH/OH). If they have it basically like it was from 5.2 (think that's when UC's, and Ops drops came back) until 5.9 when the expansion hits it won't be to bad I hope.

That'll just have Galactic Command be more of a supplementary gearing system for those who are willing to do Operations and PvP for gear.

Edited by Toraak

No chance they'll do anything with the crates before 6.0. Waste of resources.

I agree with the others who said, how things were as of 5.9 were very good with regard to gearing. I never understood why so many people were unhappy with it. I'm sure a lot of those same people who weren't happy with it wish they could have that system back.

Now ya know what they mean when they say "Becareful what you wish for, you just might get it."

Truth be told, while I have my preferences of course, there isn't a place in this game they're gonna put new BIS gear in that I'm not going to bust the door down and get at it.

I love gearing, makes everything more exciting to me. Every 6 months we should get new gear. I'm all about carrots hanging from sticks. :w_smile:

I see the OP's point.

Gearing 248 via crates takes awhile.

Gearing 252 via Ossus takes awhile (unless you have a ton of the same class alts, then it's MUCH faster).

Gearing 258 via Ossus...well, still takes awhile, especially if you're trying to do it solo.

Since 6.0 is going to mark the end of the UC's, I'm really not worrying about it too much.

At the Star Wars Celebration Chicago Cantina event they said that with 6.0 end game gear would be easier/faster to obtain. Also, more varieties of set bonuses...which could be cool.

So, yes, from a gearing perspective, command crates are certainly obsolete.

You don't get to do it until you're level 70, and at level 70 you can start Ossus to get 252's.

I see the OP's point.

Gearing 248 via crates takes awhile.

Gearing 252 via Ossus takes awhile (unless you have a ton of the same class alts, then it's MUCH faster).

Gearing 258 via Ossus...well, still takes awhile, especially if you're trying to do it solo.

Since 6.0 is going to mark the end of the UC's, I'm really not worrying about it too much.

At the Star Wars Celebration Chicago Cantina event they said that with 6.0 end game gear would be easier/faster to obtain. Also, more varieties of set bonuses...which could be cool.

So, yes, from a gearing perspective, command crates are certainly obsolete.

You don't get to do it until you're level 70, and at level 70 you can start Ossus to get 252's.

You don't need a lot of alts on the same class. You can use MWS to buy 252 and 258 gear for any spec on a character. So using any alts can speed up gearing in 5.10. For the current gearing yes 5.10 did make GC obsolete, but it appears from that post I linked it's coming back in 6.0 to some degree.

Edited by Toraak

Things are not gonna change for 2-3 months. It's a waste of resources. What they could do is increase the drop rate for masterwork or monumental crystals coming from the crates. It's not like it matters anymore.

Though i do care a lot about the gifts i get from it. Wouldn't be able to level up my comps without it. Also am happy when i get the augment mats every once in a while.

That or make it easier to trade in those unassembled components for the master work crystals.

Is all of that still back on the station for the fleet ?

I like the gifts and the mats that drop from the crates. Every now and then it's nice to get a new silly pet.

For gearing itself, though, the drop rate of anything of quality is abysmal. I've had characters go through 100 levels without ever getting a single gold gear item. It's almost always relics and implants that aren't even right for your character, or green junk. I've never seen a single 252 item or crystal in hundreds and hundreds of crates. Yeah, theoretically you can turn it all into UCs and exchange it for crystals, but the exchange rate is ridiculous and not worth it IMHO.

Having said that, I like the concept of the crates and being able to dissolve things for UCs. I wish they'd just tweak the drop rates somewhat.

I like the gifts and the mats that drop from the crates. Every now and then it's nice to get a new silly pet.

For gearing itself, though, the drop rate of anything of quality is abysmal. I've had characters go through 100 levels without ever getting a single gold gear item. It's almost always relics and implants that aren't even right for your character, or green junk. I've never seen a single 252 item or crystal in hundreds and hundreds of crates. Yeah, theoretically you can turn it all into UCs and exchange it for crystals, but the exchange rate is ridiculous and not worth it IMHO.

Having said that, I like the concept of the crates and being able to dissolve things for UCs. I wish they'd just tweak the drop rates somewhat.

I might agree with this if the drop rate that was disintergrated into "scrap" (for lack of the appropriate term) ... didn't take an eternity to get one single part for one single character... My goodness I've done a LOT of grinding in my time (like over a period of 15 + years in 3 different games ) ... BUT YIKES !!! This one takes the cake.

IMO ... If BW wants to salvage the latest crate system:

1. Make them more relavant (as you pointed out)

2. At the VERY least it should not take an eternity to get a character / alt fleshed out.

3. That should not make all of the TOP end stuff available. THE REALLY good stuff should be limited to crafting and or OPS .. or equally tough PvP or PvE awards.

4. THE REALLY extreme super duper ..." look what I've got" drops MIGHT happen in a crate ... but RARELY.

(YEAH ... I KNOW ! I get it !)

just my own $.02 worth... (and that's probably ALL it's worth this AM)

:D

This week's BadFeelingPodcast referenced an interview the devs did for one of the bloggers. I don't have the exact quote, but my recollection is something along the lines of "there's still going to be crates of some kind."

They did say that pvp and pve gear will stay the same and expertise is not coming back. However, they may consider Bolster up to the gear rating max, and how gear will matter/differentiate/be impactful is in the set bonuses you grind out and tactical items.

I kind of like that idea.

My (foolish?) hope is that the Spoils of War takes all the good things from every gearing system previous, including Galactic Command.

This week's BadFeelingPodcast referenced an interview the devs did for one of the bloggers. I don't have the exact quote, but my recollection is something along the lines of "there's still going to be crates of some kind."

They did say that pvp and pve gear will stay the same and expertise is not coming back. However, they may consider Bolster up to the gear rating max, and how gear will matter/differentiate/be impactful is in the set bonuses you grind out and tactical items.

My (foolish?) hope is that the Spoils of War takes all the good things from every gearing system previous, including Galactic Command.

I tend to agree with you 100% on this !

Yikes. Well, not going to pretty it up, if this is true and they dont make wzs max bolster, it been a fun 5 years (sorta... well 2 years ago it was a fun 3 years) but I'll be gone thats for sure.

grinding pve level of time for equal gear is why this expansion failed for so much of the pvp community. I hope they dont do anything rash... it would be so easy.. wouldnt it bioware.

Edited by Seterade

I've found a use for them on my Guardian. I need to compile a set of DPS gear for my alt spec, so I'm hoarding crates until I get a good 100 or so, then I'm going to mass open them all at once looking for Vigilance 248's. Duplicates I'll rip the mods out of for my tank gear.

Yikes. Well, not going to pretty it up, if this is true and they dont make wzs max bolster, it been a fun 5 years (sorta... well 2 years ago it was a fun 3 years) but I'll be gone thats for sure.

grinding pve level of time for equal gear is why this expansion failed for so much of the pvp community. I hope they dont do anything rash... it would be so easy.. wouldnt it bioware.

PvP gear has to be one of the toughest to get right for about any MMO. I remember a few years ago (not THAT may years.. but a few now) WoW screwed up big time. The Rogue was so overpowered it was rediculous. At any rate that is no excuse for not really putting a LOT of added attention to that aspect of this game.

Even though I only do PvE .. I have been envolved in PvP games before (including WoW) .. and know how important it is to any MMO community. If I had to wait an extra few weeks to get my part of the new 6.0 it would be worth it as a whole to see the PvP community come back to life again. I really do understand just how important it is to the overall health of the game as a whole !

Best of luck to those who are holding on to hope with the new release !

Well, they've made efforts to emphasize that you will be able to play your way. Besides sounding like a Burger King commercial, I presume that means expanding on the nature of:

• earning the new Spoils of War "crates" through pvp activities
  • pvp-sourced tactical item drops, or pvp-only occurrences for the set bonus gear you might want

Musco apparently gave an example in the interview along the lines of, and this was not an actual example, but, say, a tactical item that only dropped during an event, like the Rakghoul event. We don't really know what these tactical items are going to be yet, aside from the directive for us to brainstorm and be crazy with ideas/suggestions. But I could imagine that if someone wanted a specific Tactical item X to benefit them in pvp, that perhaps said Tactical Item X could only drop as a pvp reward, or require certain pvp objectives (like achievements, valor, a currency, a certain # of wins, whatever); or be more likely to occur from pvp activities.

I think that bringing Bolster to the max rating and still having a "gear grind" or gear progression for tactical items or set bonuses you might want for pvp is probably more desirable than a system which mandates pve activies to efficiently/expeditiously get pvp gear. And balancing pvp around utilities, tactical items, and set bonuses seems a reasonable alternative.

Edited by phalczen

Well, they've made efforts to emphasize that you will be able to play your way. Besides sounding like a Burger King commercial, I presume that means expanding on the nature of:

• earning the new Spoils of War "crates" through pvp activities
  • pvp-sourced tactical item drops, or pvp-only occurrences for the set bonus gear you might want

Musco apparently gave an example in the interview along the lines of, and this was not an actual example, but, say, a tactical item that only dropped during an event, like the Rakghoul event. We don't really know what these tactical items are going to be yet, aside from the directive for us to brainstorm and be crazy with ideas/suggestions. But I could imagine that if someone wanted a specific Tactical item X to benefit them in pvp, that perhaps said Tactical Item X could only drop as a pvp reward, or require certain pvp objectives (like achievements, valor, a currency, a certain # of wins, whatever); or be more likely to occur from pvp activities.

I think that bringing Bolster to the max rating and still having a "gear grind" or gear progression for tactical items or set bonuses you might want for pvp is probably more desirable than a system which mandates pve activies to efficiently/expeditiously get pvp gear. And balancing pvp around utilities, tactical items, and set bonuses seems a reasonable alternative.

I made a post on the pvp forum to this effect, and I am a supporter of this idea.

hey! tbf, "tactical" items are an improvement. eventually all games progress and items needed for end game go up. I mean it may be more to do, but whos to say itll be hard?

want to hear some serial wishful thinking that I would do if I ran swtor?

a) set wz bolster to 1 tier above nim gear and make set bonuses the only deciding factor. in this case this tactical items would only serve to make cllasses unique and fun. like the skill trees did

or b) tactical item will not work in pvp zones, and/or there will be seperate tactical pvp item that Only work in pvp zones, and in traditional expertise grind design will be far far cheaper and less grindy than pve TI, maybe even built in to expertise sets.

I personaly would go with A, B is more settleing for what is more likely to happen

PS: would you mind either dming me the link to this interview, or posting it? I would very interested in this and I was unable to find it on my own.

Edited by Seterade