Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

You guys really underdelivered here, you know that?

You promised transfers coming soon, so that friends could play with friends, and all get together on the same server.

My guild, being on a dying PvE server, and wanting to make the eventual move to a PVP server, had to make a call based on the information you gave. Being the GM, I rolled another toon on a better (but not heavy, as we took that into consideration as possibly being restricted) populated server, which was RP-PVP. I did this shortly before 1.2 hit. I restarted the guild and started recruiting there, with the promise to my members that transfers were coming in summer, and the rest of our guild members would join us then. My original members? No longer able to queue up, have stopped playing, with the plans of coming back at 1.3, when these transfers were promised. I was going to transfer my other character as well, and planned to pay for it.

Now, transfers are coming on time as promised, but they are free only with heavy restrictions. I understand a heavy population restriction. Having a pool of choices for servers to transfer to within the population restriction restraints would have been perfect. Instead, you tell us which servers are even available to transfer from, and then which ones we can go to. To top it off, PvP servers are not an option now as the guild was originally formed on a PvE server.

Now, rated matches are going to start, and several of my core members on the other server are permanently unsubbing due to the vague statement of a possible future of paid transfers with no foreseeable ETA.

Now I'm short members, and the guys I've reformed the guild with on the other server won't get what was promised to help support the guild in rated WZ's.

The crappiest part about it? I like my guild, but my core members are real life friends who I've been gaming with for years. Now I'm torn between staying with my guild and riding this out to see where the game ends up, or joining my friends in another game.

I've been with you since the start BW. Stuck up for you plenty of times, even sometimes while having to grit my teeth slightly, but I've stuck by you. And yet here we are again, with another overpromised and underdelivered situation. It's unacceptable service.

I believe you missed the part that they are doing it in Phases.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reposting:

I totally understand and agree with how you're doing naming changes in transfers; and what I'm suggesting might not be feasible and it might be too much work. However I will explain why I am asking for it.

Here is the scenario.

I am transferring a character to a server. His name is PinaColada. However, there is already a character on the server named PinaColada. However, my character is level 50 with 7 days played. The character on the server is level 1 with less than one hour played. BUT because I am transferring *I* need to change my name.

I think there needs to be a way for the transfer mechanic to take this into account.

I have 53 days, 13 hours of play time on my main character.

If somebody is playing a character actively on a server, I can totally accept that. However, if a name is sitting as a placeholder on a level 1 I really should get the preference. Or if a character has 2 or 3 hours of playtime, it should default to a played character.

I would hate to lose the name; but I can lose it if someone is using it. I know it might be extra work and I know it almost 100% isn't going to happen.

But if I have 1284 more hours of time played in the game than the guy who's played for an hour who already has the name on the server...let me keep it.

This is all well and good, right up until you add Legacy levels into the mix. At that point, you can't simply transfer characters over without losing massive amounts of Legacy XP and perks.

Once Legacy is added, now the entire process becomes a "Sort And Compare" operation... where the existing characters on the destination server need to be loaded, analyzed, and then compared to the incoming characters from the origin server, to determine total analytics and figure out which Legacy level is being adopted, which Legacy perks and unlocks from one server get initiated over on the other server, etc.

This analytics process is the bear. I suspect this City of Heroes game has nothing like Legacy bunking up the works. And even you admit that they had to ADD character transfers into the system, meaning it wasn't there at launch, even as simple as it was on their servers.

Not troling or arguing, but just stating the way City of Heroes has done it successfully, imo, is that instead of Legacy they used global handles. In my mind, they are similar in concept in that they identify your identity, regardless of what your toon's name is or even what server you are currently playing on.

You could log onto another sever and if someone on your main server knew your global handle, or in SWTOR terms Legacy name, they could still chat with you. This made each Global Handle unique and unable to be duplicated since they were GAME WIDE and not SERVER ONLY WIDE. I only wish they would have implemented legacy like this, where it was more than just a last name on a toon that gave you unlocks. It really wasn't used as an identification tool globally but could have been expanded into so much more.

Had they done it different, perhaps they could have avoided some of their issues. I do not know for sure the complications, but it seems that they could have been avoided had Legacy actually been thought of more than just a simple reward system based on the tracking of one servers accomplishments. What's done is done and I am willing to accept it for what it is, but I was shocked when I discovered how limited Legacy was when a game that I played over 7 years ago had a similar system without the flaws. Just my two cents...

reposting:

I totally understand and agree with how you're doing naming changes in transfers; and what I'm suggesting might not be feasible and it might be too much work. However I will explain why I am asking for it.

Here is the scenario.

I am transferring a character to a server. His name is PinaColada. However, there is already a character on the server named PinaColada. However, my character is level 50 with 7 days played. The character on the server is level 1 with less than one hour played. BUT because I am transferring *I* need to change my name.

I think there needs to be a way for the transfer mechanic to take this into account.

I have 53 days, 13 hours of play time on my main character.

If somebody is playing a character actively on a server, I can totally accept that. However, if a name is sitting as a placeholder on a level 1 I really should get the preference. Or if a character has 2 or 3 hours of playtime, it should default to a played character.

I would hate to lose the name; but I can lose it if someone is using it. I know it might be extra work and I know it almost 100% isn't going to happen.

But if I have 1284 more hours of time played in the game than the guy who's played for an hour who already has the name on the server...let me keep it.

^^ Exactly this. I don't mind losing a name to someone that is currently using it or even recently unsubscribed, but is over a certain level. I just don't want to lose my name (which isn't even a name in common usage, so not in crazy demand) to a level 1 created by someone on the trial or who was on early access but never even entered a registration code in.

We are a nearly 500 people community that rerolled from Kinrath Spider to The Fatman. Will you disappoint us again keeping us from playing again with our first toons by not letting us transfer those toons at Spider to The Fatman? :(

I believe you missed the part that they are doing it in Phases.

Yea their phases are

1. Dead servers get Free Transfers to same server type pre defined only by us

2. Everyone Else .. gets to pay us to fix their unhappiness with the game

Everyone should be getting atleast 1 chance at a free transfer. Right now only certain people are and they've done LITTLE to dispell that fact.

I already canceled sub auto-renewal weeks ago.

Therein lies the problem. I love TOR. I complain because I care about what happens to TOR. If I didn't care, I'd be happily playing Diablo III and waiting for Mechwarrior Online, and Titan, among others without ever bothering to waste my time here.

Always funny how fanboys accuse others of "whining", but when they complain it's always "constructive criticism" about even more trivial issues. At least the labeled "haters" are complaining about the game or a company rather than being inward focused in attacking other players.

So true. I feel exactly the same way about SWTOR cipher_nemo. I complain because I want the issues that concern the players who leave, to end. There are MANY! They are numerous! They're legit.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

So basically a portion of your comunity is getting screwed? Some of us want to change server types since population but also play styles of a current server type may not fit us. Thanks.

I really like this game but i'm not willing to lean over and take a beaten because your company can't get its crap together with transfers / mergers in a timely fashion and only seem to care about one part of the larger problem.

FREE TRANSFERS FOR ALL!

Edited by Kindara

I'm ecstatic with the announcement, and can't wait to play against different talent.

I could care less about the name change stuff, however if I did have a preference it would be for active subscribers to be able to keep their names if an unsubbed account on the destination server own that name. I know people had legit reasons to unsub, but the loyal customers should come first. With as long as this has taken though, I dont want it be prolonged anymore!

So basically a portion of your comunity is getting screwed? Some of us want to change server types since population but also play styles of a current server type may not fit us. Thanks.

I really like this game but i'm not willing to lean over and take a beaten because your company can't get its crap together with transfers / mergers in a timely fashion and only seem to care about one part of the larger problem.

FREE TRANSFERS FOR ALL!

Where did he say it's going to stay permanently that way forever and evermore?

FREE TRANSFERS FOR ALL!

Not getting screwed this isn't the first mmo to have these server types. As a matter of fact they are pretty standerd. It is not thier fault if you picked a server that doesn't fit "your" play style.

I am however sure at some point they will allow the mix matches to happen but I wouldn't look for it soon. Like someone else posted earlier it took blizzard 5 years to do tranfer from one server type to another and almost 2 years to even have transfers.

So this went to the box. Feel free to check if you have rights.

I had two main characters on a server that lost theri populations.

You promised character transfers and told us to keep playing. I did and I waited. I now have six characters wit a lot of time and effort on their crafing skills on one server and two lvl 50s and a legacy on the original.

Apparently you saw fit not to allow me to combine these assets. Apparently you saw fit to not give a date on when I could pay to do so. I feel there is no sense of achievement to be had leveling alts anymore. I feel there is no urge to level six more alts on the server you will designate my mains to.

I feel there is no fun in playing under these circumstances and after enduring a disappointment after another the fact that you chose to not deliver fully on character transfers, I am done and disgruntled.

Good bye.

I have a question and I would like to provide feedback on a use case that I hope will be considered by the Bioware team:

Will the available server transfer be limited to the region you are in? For example, transfers from east coast servers to another east coast server?

Some of us need the ability to switch server regions. I signed up for an east coast server (even though I live on the west coast) to be with my old SWG guild but my guildies never materialized or quit soon after launch. Now, in addition to being on a low population server, I'm stuck in the wrong region. I'd like to be able to transfer to a west coast server with a high population.

Suggested solution: allow a choice of server to transfer to (east or west) for each original server located in the U.S.

I'm happy to pay for such an option; it's too bad the paid selective transfer is being delayed though I understand the reasons. One more bit of feedback: now that I've experienced life on a low population server, I would gladly trade it for the occasional inconvenience of server que login time.

I'm already dangerously close to letting my subscription lapse. I'm not changing my character's name for any *********** reason. Period. The Devs should have thought of this a long time ago. Seriously. Did it occur to NO ONE that if you merged servers you'd have a naming issue? Are you really that *********** stupid? That was a rhetorical question btw.

Hi Rogoo,

As mentioned in the blog post, we will be maintaining server types. So it will be RP-PvP to RP-PvP.

Respectfully, this is a major mistake. With all 3 North American RP-PVP servers, we still wont be looking at populations anywhere near what they were on opening week.

Ven Zallow is dead, and the other two are low Standards. Even when combined, we will still have low populations compared to what the server is capable of running.

So this went to the box. Feel free to check if you have rights.

I had two main characters on a server that lost theri populations.

You promised character transfers and told us to keep playing. I did and I waited. I now have six characters wit a lot of time and effort on their crafing skills on one server and two lvl 50s and a legacy on the original.

Apparently you saw fit not to allow me to combine these assets. Apparently you saw fit to not give a date on when I could pay to do so. I feel there is no sense of achievement to be had leveling alts anymore. I feel there is no urge to level six more alts on the server you will designate my mains to.

I feel there is no fun in playing under these circumstances and after enduring a disappointment after another the fact that you chose to not deliver fully on character transfers, I am done and disgruntled.

Good bye.

They never said they won't allow it eventually. :rolleyes:

Respectfully, this is a major mistake. With all 3 North American RP-PVP servers, we still wont be looking at populations anywhere near what they were on opening week.

Ven Zallow is dead, and the other two are low Standards. Even when combined, we will still have low populations compared to what the server is capable of running.

*EDIT* Nvm, misread.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

We are a nearly 500 people community that rerolled from Kinrath Spider to The Fatman. Will you disappoint us again keeping us from playing again with our first toons by not letting us transfer those toons at Spider to The Fatman? :(

I think what they are trying to do is level the populations some so not everyone, their buddies, and their kids are transferring to Fatman making him so fat they roll him around like a beach ball. Fatman can only be so fat before he explodes. :mon_trap:

Wholeheartedly agree on the server types issue. I get that it would take more work to do, but should be something to be done down the road if for nothing else than to bring other characters in an account together under one legacy if desired.

There are accounts with more or less abandoned characters on PVE and PVP servers who'd appreciate being able to bring those over to where they currently play.

I see a lot of people are getting quite concerned with the upcoming transfer system, but you all need to keep a kool head and wait to see what is officially going to happen when the system is in place and what servers are we all going to be able to transfer to.

Coordination is a must.

Wholeheartedly agree on the server types issue. I get that it would take more work to do, but should be something to be done down the road if for nothing else than to bring other characters in an account together under one legacy if desired.

There are accounts with more or less abandoned characters on PVE and PVP servers who'd appreciate being able to bring those over to where they currently play.

This entire thing is looking to be a marketing gimmick to make the people, myself included, who have been angry about populations shut up.

This is such a poor, simple and weak handed attempt at fixing this issue that it blows my mind. Just open up 15 servers to move to, and close the rest.

BE DONE WITH IT. KILL THE LOW POP SEVERS SO WE CAN PLAY A MMO.

The more I read about this the more I'm horrified.

Hi Rogoo,

Does this include East/West coast for US servers? I was hoping to move to a west coast since I mostly play during West coast primetime so more players would be available. Or is coast not taken into account?

Hi Rogoo,

In the EU there is now only one english RP-PvP and it's light, so how will that wrk then ?

So unless you combine the frensh/english/german and plain RP servers into one you got a problem.

Edited by Lord_Karsk