8v8 Solo Ranked

TheJollyRogers

4v4 solo rank is a tragedy. Only a handful of classes are represented properly and almost every match-up is some form of 4 dps vs. 4 dps. The leaderboards don't matter because no one takes solo seriously anymore.

So let us solo queue for ranked objective warzones. I can actually attempt to win games on my Mercenary if it's Novare Coast or Civil War. It's much easier to pull off wins when I'm not shoved into a small ring with Rocky Balboa-powered classes. I can kite people away from points, stop caps and plant bombs.

Have a separate leaderboard if you need to. Especially now since tokens just let us get a bunch of meaningless titles and aesthetic changes. The main reason I'd want to do ranked 8v8 is because it still requires people to wear 2018 gear.

More people would queue if their classes weren't completely worthless in the current rendition of solo ranked. At least let us have fun if we happen to enjoy a class that can't compete.

Edited by TheJollyRogers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4v4 solo rank is a tragedy. Only a handful of classes are represented properly and almost every match-up is some form of 4 dps vs. 4 dps. The leaderboards don't matter because no one takes solo seriously anymore.

So let us solo queue for ranked objective warzones. I can actually attempt to win games on my Mercenary if it's Novare Coast or Civil War. It's much easier to pull off wins when I'm not shoved into a small ring with Rocky Balboa-powered classes. I can kite people away from points, stop caps and plant bombs.

Have a separate leaderboard if you need to. Especially now since tokens just let us get a bunch of meaningless titles and aesthetic changes. The main reason I'd want to do ranked 8v8 is because it still requires people to wear 2018 gear.

More people would queue if their classes weren't completely worthless in the current rendition of solo ranked. At least let us have fun if we happen to enjoy a class that can't compete.

Two years too late to the party. They tried that, claimed "Not enough people played".

The ONLY way this could work, is if the following creteria were implemented with it:

• The solo queues are cross-faction matches.
  • The game would only start when each team had the same amount of healers and at least 1 tank.
  • The game limited the number of healers and tanks to NOT exceed 2 of each per team.
  • Allow other players to backfill in for those that DC (but only if they are the same class role)
  • 2018 expertise gear requirement.

Yeah then, this could be a lot of fun. Otherwise without the above, no this would be horrible. You would

likely have to remove ELO though. And just make this a queue-up-and-get-comms kind of game play

where season rewards would be purchased with said comms. So this would be a time-invested type

of ranked play. I don't see how they could POSSIBLY keep any kind of ELO system when you don't

control how the 7 other people on your team perform each and every match, yet they affect your rating.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Two years too late to the party. They tried that, claimed "Not enough people played".

No they didn't. They had grouped ranked 8v8 objective matches.

But, yeah, this is probably my most desired feature right now. I still have some hope that they're planning on implementing this for 4.0 and that the recent changes were setting the stage for it.

Not gonna happen.

Three months ago I would have said that they'd never implement a minimum expertise requirement for ranked. I also would have told you that trying to get them to raise the cap on WZ commendations was a loss cause and that they would never even consider lowering the prices on gear. I would have referred to the suggestion that they might do away with ranked comms or actually allow players to transfer commendations between characters as the silliest ideas ever.

And I would have been dead wrong.

The simple truth is that they're starting to consider new solutions and give more credence to player feedback. No, we're not getting everything we ask for but we are getting more than I would have expected us to. As long as there's a credible argument for ranked objective matches (and I believe there is one) then they might just happen.

Three months ago I would have said that they'd never implement a minimum expertise requirement for ranked. I also would have told you that trying to get them to raise the cap on WZ commendations was a loss cause and that they would never even consider lowering the prices on gear. I would have referred to the suggestion that they might do away with ranked comms or actually allow players to transfer commendations between characters as the silliest ideas ever.

And I would have been dead wrong.

The simple truth is that they're starting to consider new solutions and give more credence to player feedback. No, we're not getting everything we ask for but we are getting more than I would have expected us to. As long as there's a credible argument for ranked objective matches (and I believe there is one) then they might just happen.

Those changes are pretty simple to do and take little effort. 8v8 ranked on the other hand would require a massive amount of work because now they have to balance classes around pve, 4v4,8v8.

You also have to consider the practically dead pvp population on every server except harbinger and even them team ranked is barely existing. BW has pretty much no reason at all to waste time bringing back a format that they considered a failure to begin with. If they didn't feel that way we wouldn't be stuck with 4v4 right now and they wouldn't have removed 8v8.

Its not going to happen.

This is probably worst idea ever. Solo 8v8 Ranked, literally lmfao.

I wouldn't mind it. It would definitely function WAY better than 4v4 solo. We'd probably see more healers and tanks in the queue as well.

Edited by Raansu

You think queue synching in deathmatch arenas is bad? You think having voice matters when people just use it to call out focus targets? You'll cry your eyes out when you see people queue synching in objective matches, and using voice to coordinate across a Civil War, Huttball or Novare.

And with 8v8, it will be much less likely for a few randoms to disrupt a queue sync in the less populous faction. There's also the slight problem that individuals will be less able to carry, making the solo rating even less meaningful.

Deathmatch is the best game mode for solo ranked, because it's the simplest and requires the least coordination. Objectives would take all the flaws of solo ranked—wildly different skill levels, no coordination, queue synching for advantage, etc etc—and magnify them.

Edited by MiaowZedong

You think queue synching in deathmatch arenas is bad? You think having voice matters when people just use it to call out focus targets? You'll cry your eyes out when you see people queue synching in objective matches, and using voice to coordinate across a Civil War, Huttball or Novare.

And with 8v8, it will be much less likely for a few randoms to disrupt a queue sync in the less populous faction. There's also the slight problem that individuals will be less able to carry, making the solo rating even less meaningful.

Deathmatch is the best game mode for solo ranked, because it's the simplest and requires the least coordination. Objectives would take all the flaws of solo ranked—wildly different skill levels, no coordination, queue synching for advantage, etc etc—and magnify them.

Queue syncing is what it is and there's little that cane be done with it. Personally if I had my way I'd completely remove solo ranked, but if it had to stay, 8v8 would be a way more viable option simply for the fact that every AC can function in 8v8 unlike 4v4.

That said, 8v8 is far more popular with pvpers than 4v4 (the fact that solo ranked struggles to get pops and regs pop constantly even with the "big bad premades" running around says a lot about how much people prefer 8v8.) so queue syncing would be less of an issue. The only reason its an issue now with 4v4 is really due to the low pop faction of most servers on the republic side. I see that being less of an issue with 8v8 but it could also be easily fixed with cross faction or cross servers.....or hell merging all the servers into one server.

The biggest problem though would be what would happen to reg warzones? I mean, if you split 4v4 and 8v8 solo ranked or even replace 4v4 with 8v8 you're now splitting a bigger pool of players from the regs. And what about groups? I run 2 man groups quite often and would probably stick to regs simply to be able to play with my friend. But then the queue might be more dead because the solo players will get mad at the big bad premade of 2 players (yes I've seen it happen.....its sad how bad players bicker) and most would probably stick to solo 8v8.

There's all kinds of problems with solo queue, which leads back to my original stance. I don't think solo ranked should exist, ESPECIALLY 4v4 solo ranked. It 100% does not work and never will work. Ranked should be groups only. I wouldn't mind if 8v8 solo ranked existed but I would still overall feel that solo ranked shouldn't be a thing.

Edited by Raansu

Here's the thing though: if arenas were actually popular, queue syncing would be a constant problem. One faction is always going to be weaker and the people queuing for that side sparse. As long as you have four friends who are geared setting up a queue-sync would be trivial. The fact that we don't see this constantly is a testament to just how reviled arenas truly are.

Besides, long term cross faction needs to be a thing for ranked, either way. It makes it easier for the weaker faction to get matches and ostensibly kills queue syncing. But that's a different fight though …

Personally, I think some form of server merge is coming. I think the 90CC transfers were a way for them to gauge which servers to merge where.

Who knows what their reasoning was but that's certainly a possibility, but at the same time it comes across to me as a why bother situation. Not really making money off of 90cc transfers and if you're going to merge anyways why does it matter where people go?

I love the idea but see a few problems

1) The rage will be strong with visible ELO. People entering without augments will get raged on if the team loses and the other team members can see their ELO loss as a "reminder".

2) Queue syncing. Some people will queue sync in order to get into the same match

3) Large guilds (or popular PVP voice servers) will give the team with most people on same voice in a team an advantage.

Edited by vennian

BW should give regular war zones a hidden ranking and enable matchmaking. This would solve many issues like missing healers and premades vs. PUGs.

Only the top 100 players of every server should be visible on the leaderboard, the rest should stay hidden.

If a valid matchmaking is not possible, a random grouping would be ok, but the game should not count for the ranking (except of a penalty for quitting).

I would guess, that the number of balanced matches would increase and people would have a chance to compete with none FotM classes.