Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bultitudes_Loke
07.03.2015 , 08:59 AM | #5671
Hello all, I return with a shorter offering this time... picking up right where Part 1 left off

Prompts: Allies, Catching Up, Do The Math
Characters: Sab’thaan the Unmasked (Bounty Hunter), Ezka’ryon the Backstabber (Smuggler)
Title: A Quick Mark and an Old Friend (Part 2)
Words: A paltry 600-ish
Spoilers: None.

A minor trigger warning for memories of brutal Sith warfare. Nothing too graphic, but my sensibilities may be different to yours.

Spoiler

Author's notes:
Spoiler

Striges
07.03.2015 , 10:11 AM | #5672
We haven’t had a Month of Meta in a while. This time the theme is: Senses. Five fridays in July, five senses.

Week of July 3, 2015
Sight: Humans are a visually-oriented species, so sight is one of the easiest senses to evoke in a story and most writers use it automatically. We describe how a room looks or our character’s physical appearance. We tell the reader what our character sees. It is the most basic scene setting tool. This week’s challenge: make the character’s vision a central part of your story. Having trouble? Take it away. Maybe it’s too dark to see. Maybe they’re temporarily blinded. Maybe they’ve always been blind. Experiment!

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Rites of Passage - Sort of related to the cultural theme, there are tons of different rites of passage our characters go through. Some are common across cultures, like weddings. Some are specific to a culture, like coming-of-age ceremonies. And sometimes they are just an internal realization that your life has changed. Feel free to take this in any direction you would like.

House of Something - The many and various worlds of Star Wars have many and various buildings (or large vehicles) that reflect their builders’ culture. Sometimes the style of architecture is really striking. Sometimes it’s less interesting than the events transpiring all over it. Write something involving a building or monument your characters have encountered.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

frauzet
07.03.2015 , 03:07 PM | #5673
It's been only two days, how can I have fallen behind already?

Comments and Replies:
Spoiler

I wrote another one of those little stories for brightephemera's challenge over on tumblr.
"Write some dialogue about an object or event. Do not name the object or event. Try to evoke an emotion (or two!) of your choice about it."
I think I at least managed to talk about an object and an event in this little piece for Nikeo's background.
Index for Nikeo before 'Graduation Party'
It also fits the prompt 'Best Buddies'

Title: The Gift
Char: Nikeo
Coruscant, 9 ATC, no spoilers
Spoiler
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Lunafox
07.03.2015 , 08:19 PM | #5674
@Frauzet You certainly evoked my curiosity with your challenge piece. I can't help but wonder what's in the box now lol. Nothing bad, given the cheer I felt between Ragan and Nik.

@everyone I'm sorry I've fallen a bit behind. But it is great to see so many people contributing to the thread, and seeing all the variety of great stories.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

AKHadeed
07.04.2015 , 11:37 AM | #5675
Hi guys. And can I note I love all the gritty first person that's been around here lately? I'm not saying it's my boo, but it's totally my boo. In case you somehow couldn't guess.

@Frauzet: Ikle Thorns melts my heart, FYI. Kid needs a hug.

So I wrote this at work (it was a slow day). Other Hadeed is still off gallivanting around, so it's unedited, except in my unfortunately lackadaisical style. It's for the Legacy prompt. S'called "Dear Sweet Baby Sister." It's here because I've been playing Kitzha Irons, Angie's smuggler sister, a lot. It contains no fighting because I decided to have people talk about feelings instead, which may have been a tragic mistake. And it takes place just before the last one.

Spoiler

More comments are incoming. At least a few. For realsies this time.
Shaaaaaaaaan!

Oliverthefighter
07.06.2015 , 11:23 AM | #5676
Title: Wrathful Exposure
Prompt: sight (ish) bear with me
Characters: SW Crew And My LS Warrior, Oedicar
Spoilers: The Quinncident, Sith Warrior Rishii story

The Hand's perspective:
Spoiler

Oedicar's perspective:
Spoiler

Author's note:
Spoiler

Second Author's note:
Spoiler

Third Author's note:
Spoiler

Oliverthefighter
07.06.2015 , 09:17 PM | #5677
My apologies for the double post, but my AC broke and I can't get to sleep because of the heat, so I wrote this story to pass the time.
Prompt: Tools Of the Trade
Title: The Broken Cypher
Character: Oranis and Agent Crew
Spoilers: Main story Agent Spoilers.
I hope you all enjoy!
Spoiler

Author’s note:
Spoiler

Kudos to anyone who can tell that I have spent way too much time thinking about the meaning of the storylines.
Spoiler

Edit: I changed perspectives halfway through writing, a few errors needed to be fixed.

Diviciacus
07.08.2015 , 09:03 PM | #5678
So I'm stuck with a story, and I'm looking for some advice (and obviously this is the most superior place to ask).

I have a character seeking advice from a couple of lore characters. In writing the story, it feels a little repetitive, not in the answers my character is given, but. in the fact that logically, my character has to explain everything three times. Almost like a quest in-game >.> (Oh hey, go find item/do the thing/person here. then there. then that third place)

What do?
Nonne mei fratres congruitis nobis nostram cruore ferroque humum recipienda esse aut Imperium Aeternum quae omnia speremus peregerimusque vere perdat?
Conquering the Darkest Places, the ongoing misadventures of a Sith doing what's right by her.

Lunafox
07.08.2015 , 09:56 PM | #5679
Quote: Originally Posted by Diviciacus View Post
So I'm stuck with a story, and I'm looking for some advice (and obviously this is the most superior place to ask).

I have a character seeking advice from a couple of lore characters. In writing the story, it feels a little repetitive, not in the answers my character is given, but. in the fact that logically, my character has to explain everything three times. Almost like a quest in-game >.> (Oh hey, go find item/do the thing/person here. then there. then that third place)

What do?
Well, assuming you can't get them on a holo conference call and discuss it all together, what you might try is varying up the circumstances in which you speak to these people, so that it seems to have more variety. Com-ing everyone from the ship would get dull...but you could com one, meet another in a bar...or even have an accidental run in with the third in an unexpected place. (Like you both get arrested and thrown into the same cell or something). Or you could space out the conversations with other scenes that bring something to your story, so it's broken up a bit. I hope that helps you.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

AKHadeed
07.08.2015 , 11:06 PM | #5680
And if worst comes to worst, just glaze. "She told him the situation" or "I filled him in" works pretty well if you're in fear of repetition. You can always pick the interesting notes back up!
Shaaaaaaaaan!