Companions

Amunra-amunray

Range companions leaving their support frozen stiff with no support is unrealistic for a companion. NPC s advancing so close to a person to attack them you cannot target melee or range to damage them. Don't make the game dynamic without included this same process for all NPCs including companions. Range should be acting like melee companions in that way they followed the next agro target and most of all they follow you as a player.

This is not the Jedi way this is the "bully/hacker way" and I still feel subscriptions will continue to decline.

But farm building Clones seems to be where the SWTOR universe is currently. Most of the new subscribers I spoke to want no part of this mess. To make money you need a member base and this design is Imperial at best and does not fit the design of the origin of the story. Darth Malgus is not the hero Luke.

And don't be threatened by hackers, exploiters and bullies saying they will remove their subscription. As there are plenty of other games they can play if the style and class of this game does not suit their interest.

Range companions leaving their support frozen stiff with no support is unrealistic for a companion. NPC s advancing so close to a person to attack them you cannot target melee or range to damage them. Don't make the game dynamic without included this same process for all NPCs including companions. Range should be acting like melee companions in that way they followed the next agro target and most of all they follow you as a player.

The ranged-companion thing is a deep-seated sytemic bug that affects all companions, but ranged above all. They are working on a fix.

Instead of creating another companion thread that follows suit in the same passive-agressive vein as all the others (fix companions or people cancel their subscription, no threat!), you could have browsed only a few entries further down and participate in the official one where Eric himself addresses the issue:

Hey folks,

One of the things that has come up quite a bit since 5.10 is a number of Companion issues. I posted yesterday letting you know that one of the more prominent issues (ranged companions not attacking) was likely going to be fixed in 6.0. What I wanted to do was make a bit of a bigger post explaining what these issues are, their current status, and when they are likely to be fixed. Let’s dive in.

Ranged Companions Not Attacking

This issue is a bit of an interesting case. The common belief is that this is a bug which was introduced in 5.10. That is understandable since it certainly became more noticeable with that update. However, this issue has actually been around since launch. After the reports we received from 5.10 we began doing a deep dive into what was going on. That is where we discovered a pretty substantial issue with how Companions were built which is causing this to happen. Due to this being an underlying issue with all Companions it requires a larger systemic change then just a standard bug fix which is the reason why the fix is taking so long.

An update from yesterday, I was being conservative in saying that it will be fixed for 6.0. Upon double checking with the team they believe that it may actually make it in before then in 5.10.4 in the summer. This is of course still dependent on testing and verification, but you may see it before 6.0 after all.

Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance

One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.

Companions are a critical part of SWTOR and so we take issues with them very seriously. We know that sometimes changes don’t come as quick as you would like but know that we are working to get these types of issues resolved as fast as we can! We thank you for all of the reports around these issues as they were very helpful in isolating the root causes to work towards addressing them. And of course, thank you for your patience as we work to get them resolved.

Thanks everyone!

-eric

Instead of creating another companion thread that follows suit in the same passive-agressive vein as all the others (fix companions or people cancel their subscription, no threat!), you could have browsed only a few entries further down and participate in the official one where Eric himself addresses the issue:

I disagree. forums are helter-skelter. most people don't frequent them. even if you know how the dev tracker works, it's an idiotic way of finding information from BW (it's still random and sorted by what? a time stamp?). no. I'm sorry. it's not unreasonable for someone who experiences systematic failure of a basic game feature to stumble into forums and start a post on the topic rather than weed through the plethora of garbage that gets dumped here every day.

edit: but thanks for the quote. that is helpful. ;)

Edited by foxmob

I disagree. forums are helter-skelter. most people don't frequent them. even if you know how the dev tracker works, it's an idiotic way of finding information from BW (it's still random and sorted by what? a time stamp?). no. I'm sorry. it's not unreasonable for someone who experiences systematic failure of a basic game feature to stumble into forums and start a post on the topic rather than weed through the plethora of garbage that gets dumped here every day.

And I disagree with you. The solution has nothing to do with the Dev Tracker. There's this nifty little thing called a Search Box. It would have been far easier (and less redundant) to see if anyone else had reported "companion problems" rather than starting yet ANOTHER thread, especially one so difficult to boil down into plain language.

Edited by HoloTweed

I agree with you. Not everyone spends a lot of time on game forums.

To be honest, my main issue is not even the fact that the op decided to not look around before creating this thread, which is why I quoted Eric since it is a genuine issue with the game, but with the manner in which he put it down. I admit, it triggers me to read yet another thread where someone casually threatens downfall in subscription/population/revenue if that particular thing is not happening like that one person wants it.

Edited by Phazonfreak