Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Swtor put on a backburner


Failtima's Avatar


Failtima
11.21.2019 , 04:17 PM | #61
Define soon for EA's SWs license ending. It extends through 2023. It was a 10 year deal inked in 2013.

And for those several years I see EA being content to let things go as is. Keep it profitable with minimal expenditures. So the same content trickle we've had for awhile with the splash of a bit more on ocassion.

If that's enough for you, as it is for me, then enjoy it while it lasts. If not, then nobody should begrudge you moving on.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
11.21.2019 , 04:32 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Rolodome View Post
I got in the habit of hitting a movement key every now and then for this reason. Character creation is worse though. With that, I don't think there's any way to refresh the session. It just boots you after a while, no matter what, if you take too long. I got in the habit of sometimes taking a picture of a creation in progress if I was taking a while with it, so I wouldn't forget the values.

The things we do to avoid the pitfalls of automation...
Yep, I use my iPhone to take a snap of the settings.

The other way you can do it is at the appearance terminal on the fleet or deco in your strong hold, create a look there, then take a pic and go the character create screen.

My biggest issue creating is the naming. So many times I get booted. Usually I have a name in mind and so many times it’s not available. Now I just create a random, check the name, if it works, I delete the character and make my toon. If not, I keep trying to find a name.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
11.21.2019 , 04:37 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Tsillah View Post
I did this thing not too long ago where you answer a bunch of questions and do some exercises and you find out in which personality area you are. They have 4 basic colours: red, green, blue and yellow.
What I remember from it is that yellow is the more creative side, cooperation comes from green, structure from blue and leadership from red. It's a rough indication.

So in that context I see BW as a company that has a couple of red people and lots of yellow and green. But not nearly enough blue. So all the yellow and green come together and support each other and have endless brainstorm sessions and then 4 years later the couple of red people have to make some decisions and force people to actually get to work. BioWare Magic in these terms is the lack of blue that cause them to crunch and get that side over with.

You need people who are good with structures not just to build into the game but to run your company and teams so that you don't get stuck with your heads in the cloud all the time. With the head in the cloud thing, you also see the reason why they do not hear so well and why they have a hard time implementing changes because they again start brain storming and take too long. Also the creative types tend to care more about ideas than practical applications and what their target audience wants.

Anways, it's a rough analogy based on how I see BW operate, but can you really say I don't have a point in there?
Not a bad analogy. The article I read about Anthems development from idea to implementation was pretty much exactly as you described. It stands to reason that the swtor guys are probably similar p.

Rolodome's Avatar


Rolodome
11.21.2019 , 10:08 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Yep, I use my iPhone to take a snap of the settings.

The other way you can do it is at the appearance terminal on the fleet or deco in your strong hold, create a look there, then take a pic and go the character create screen.

My biggest issue creating is the naming. So many times I get booted. Usually I have a name in mind and so many times it’s not available. Now I just create a random, check the name, if it works, I delete the character and make my toon. If not, I keep trying to find a name.
Thanks for the idea, I might just try appearance terminal for formulating next time I get a hankering to create a character. When I think about it, it seems like a better idea anyway, since the character creation screen limits you to wearing a class-based set of clothes in a class-based backdrop. Appearance terminal could be better for getting a feel for the look in a more neutral environment.

Re: Names, I can get pretty esoteric with my names, like anagrams and shiz, so I don't run into unavailable much, but that sounds like a solid strategy.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

BelorfinSiana's Avatar


BelorfinSiana
11.21.2019 , 11:23 PM | #65
Regarding Bioware "not listening", they've had that problem since at least Dragon Age II. They have this tendency to fix what's not broken.
The Siana Legacy - Star Forge
Isharo Izark; Jorran Reynn; Aldo Fetmirna; Zelorfin; Valurin Raster; Mechinus; Belorfin (Siana); Lucîan

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
11.23.2019 , 08:30 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
I did reply to that...are you stupid ?
Really, where was the response to...

Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious
No, they can't because the game can't support a staff of that size. SWTOR isn't profitable enough to be able the pay for the salaries of 200 or 2000 employees.

That's not an excuse, that's just a fact about how businesses work.
You made no response to that, nor did you reply to...

Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious
And when in 8 years has Bioware Austin shown that they are capable of delivering a "real" expansion?

It should be overwhelmingly obvious at this point what type of content Bioware Austin puts out, what they consider an expansion to be, etc.
You made no reply to that^ either.

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
What do you think this was?
The one thing you cherry-picked out of everything I said.

Multiple people have throughout the thread have pointed out things that you're incorrect about, but you keep arguing with them as if what they're saying doesn't matter or counts

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
And we know why you didn't mention it.
Because I didn't see it. What sense does it make to quote me in one post & not another? You made back to back posts responding to me instead of just including it all in one post. I paid no attention to that post because I figured any post you were making in response to me would have me quoted on it, or at the very least be the next post directly after one of mine, go figure.

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
Anyway I am done with you. I said what I needed to say.
If that were true you wouldn't bother to keep responding.

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
BW doesn't like it,when I talk,so they delete my posts.
Or someone reported you for violating TOS.

My posts got deleted. Does that mean they hate me? No.

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
Bye Felicia...bury your head in sand and make sure you stay subbed and buy from Cartel Market.
Didn't you say you've been with the game since launch? You keep complaining about the state of the game, thet things they're not doing, etc, but it's pretty obvious at this point what Bioware (Austin) is capable of. So if that's the case & you don't understand that, doesn't that mean you're the one with their head buried in the sand?

Again, the situation with Anthem is no different than the situation that's existed at/with Bioware Austin for quite awhile now. They get pulled off SWTOR to work on games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, & Anthem, however we've seen development stretches where Bioware Austin hasn't been helping out other games & they're still not able to produce anything on the same scope & scale to that of the vanilla game & that's because (no matter how much you deny it) they don't have those same level of resources to work with anymore. That has been extremely obvious (for a number of people) for a while now. We know they can't continue things like Class Stories. It's something that has come up at basically every Cantina Tour & they've explained why it's just not possible anymore.

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
11.23.2019 , 08:49 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
Do you even know,what I posted that got deleted? Probably not...but I do.And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid is still there...so that wasn't the problem.
Really, because that post isn't there anymore. I guess it was a problem after all.

Quote:
And what I posted wasn't calling anyone names.
............................

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
I did reply to that...are you stupid ?
Since when is calling someone stupid not name-calling?

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
Yeah you just keep making stuff up.
...............................

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
And what I posted wasn't calling anyone names.
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec
I did reply to that...are you stupid ?
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
Take away STAR WARS from this game and what you have is Anthem to it's core.
Really, because most people claim(ed) that SWTOR was just WoW with a Star Wars skin.

If Anthem draws a parallel to anything else it's Destiny more so than SWTOR. SWTOR was EA/Bioware trying to get in on the WoW craze while Anthem was their attempt to go after a smaller online space like that of Destiny (Warframe, etc)

Quote:
Again we WHO SUB OR BUY SOMETHING FROM CM are saying WE SUPPORT THIS GAME. I am not saying I support Anthem or Dice's SW Battlefront 2 or Respawns' Jedi Fallen Order. I am supporting SW THE OLD REPUBLIC and I expect devs to do the same.
But that's not how the business works. The money WoW makes doesn't all go back into WoW. A lot of it goes into R&D for other projects like Overwatch, Heroes of The Storm, etc. Blizzard has been very open about the fact that they put a number of projects into development that never see the light of day. The money WoW makes allows them to R&D stuff like that to that degree.

SWTOR has been the same way since it launched. The large majority of what it makes goes back to EA, not SWTOR, & you know that. You've known that for a while now & so have a lot of other people. So, if that's the case why are you still supporting them?

The devs (Bioware Austin) have no control over this situation. It's not like they don't want to SWTOR be the best game it can be or whatever, but there are so many things beyond their control that often times prevent them from being able to do the things they want to do. And that's not an excuse, that's just the way things are. What you need to understand/realize is that the answer to why something is the way it is can't always be a satisfying answer. That's just unfortunately the way things are.