I have Geared My shadow To atleast Full Black hole,

My stats are

25 DEF

65 shield

60 Absorb

25K Hp Without stim.

Dread guard healing relic

Dread guard abosorb proc relic

Basically I would like to start tanking harder content EC HM onwards)

Most people have started to go down the endurance stacking route than mitigation

Im not really sure if i'd be better of with higher HP say 27/28k

Just want some peoples opinions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ,

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My stats are

25 DEF

65 shield

60 Absorb

25K Hp Without stim.

Dread guard healing relic

Dread guard abosorb proc relic

Basically I would like to start tanking harder content EC HM onwards)

Most people have started to go down the endurance stacking route than mitigation

Im not really sure if i'd be better of with higher HP say 27/28k

Just want some peoples opinions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ,

If it was me I'd swap the dread guard healing relic for the elite war hero's or war hero's defense relic. Your other stats are good, I think you are a bit light with defense raiting. Try getting your defense un buffed to 28% or better.

Most People Would say the same, Unfortunately I do not play PVP Nor am i going to grind it, any way i have 0% Experience in PVP im not about to start now im afraid, Sure i could do with some more Defense, but im not going to get too much out of it.

If it was me I'd swap the dread guard healing relic for the elite war hero's or war hero's defense relic. Your other stats are good, I think you are a bit light with defense raiting. Try getting your defense un buffed to 28% or better.

I actually swapped the Elite War Hero Defense relic for the Dread Guard Healing one. I lost 1.5% Defense rating and gained about 600 HP, some power and additional healing.

I also noticed during my EC HM run last night that the bonus self healing was invaluable through Ops bosses. My relic alone healed me 6K during Firebrand & Stormcaller.

Anything I can do to make my healers happy, I am up for.

In terms of Best in Slot, if you're using the low-thrash rotation, your ideal HP should be around 28.3k. That's not really arguing from a cushion or "time to live" standpoint, it's just the point at which the value of Endurance is balanced against the mitigation stats w.r.t. itemization. I say "w.r.t. itemization" because Bioware's mod system actually encourages mitigation stacking to an annoying extent, since the 27B mods have a higher stat budget than the 27 mods. Thus, what you want to do is use mitigation enhancements (Bulwark and Bastion), and the 27B mods.

Your relics look pretty good, though I would swap the proc absorb for the PvP defense, since the mitigation contribution is higher at your point in the DR.

You should definitely be fine to tank HM EC from that point, maybe HM TFB as well. NM EC is pretty hard even in mostly 63s, but it's also a matter of coordination (getting cleansed through scream on zorn, good tank swaps, good puzzle form, and of course all the coordination in Kephess with interrupts, dozens of adds, and Kephess himself).

Right now, PVP relics would be superior to your proc relics, but if you grit your teeth and gear yourself up, you should pass that point.

Just keep getting your 27B reinforced and robust mods, bulwark and bastion enhancements, and use your augments to fine tune your balance of defense and absorb. At that point you should be fine on endurance, shouldn't need many fortitude mods unless your healers complain.

It's really nice how easy it is for tankassins to gear compared to DPS or healers.

Edited by MantorokTwelve

Seems Many people would Say go for higher defence, sure I could let go of 5% Absorb and convert to Endurance/DEF

As for PVP relics, I assume people mean The WH ones....

As for shield i basically dropped All accuracy to get that , seems most people follow suit...

Its Hard to say just because something has a DR that it is pointless to go above it, For instance, There is not alot of point having 60/ absorb When i could lower it and get something with more benefit out of it,.

I haven't Actually Tried tanking the harder content Yet, Since im practically Guildless and Im in no position to learn going Pug runs ( Not Ranting at pugs) :cool:

Edited by ialyxxiieee

Seems Many people would Say go for higher defence, sure I could let go of 5% Absorb and convert to Endurance/DEF

As for PVP relics, I assume people mean The WH ones....

As for shield i basically dropped All accuracy to get that , seems most people follow suit...

Its Hard to say just because something has a DR that it is pointless to go above it, For instance, There is not alot of point having 60/ absorb When i could lower it and get something with more benefit out of it,.

I haven't Actually Tried tanking the harder content Yet, Since im practically Guildless and Im in no position to learn going Pug runs ( Not Ranting at pugs) :cool:

Haven't checked comparisons of Def/Absorb at higher DR levels but you won't actually be dropping 5% for "something more beneficial" generally, as(at least back in Rakata) absorb is your best mitigation stat. Personally, my BiS Dreadguard list has all defense 27b mobs but full absorb augs. Runs about 450 def/700 shield/550 absorb/26k hp IIRC(This was made in Askmrrobot, I don't have that set yet.) I'll do some math later to see if I can tune it to be any better.

My stats are

25 DEF

65 shield

60 Absorb

25K Hp Without stim.

These are mine in full DG with two EWH defense relics.

33 Defense

45/65 Shield

50 Absorb

28k Health

I swap to a DG absorb relic for more health when fighting bosses that ignore defense. In the end, none of these stats really matter if your teammates aren't up to the task.

33 Defense

45/65 Shield

50 Absorb

28k Health

I swap to a DG absorb relic for more health when fighting bosses that ignore defense. In the end, none of these stats really matter if your teammates aren't up to the task.

You're leaning quite a bit too heavy on Defense IMO. You'd get more out of switching a bit out for Absorb. Also, your shield seems low are you using Accuracy enhancements? I have roughly that shield with still full Rakata enhancements.

I'm in the mitigation camp. Mitigation increases the value of each hp and most healing in this game is for X hp instead for % of health. In a sustained boss fight, your mitigation will really pay off in terms of stress on your healers.

While on the subject of mods, don't downplay to the benefits of willpower. This is why I'd recommend against taking too many of the B mods. If you stack too much mitigation and endurance, you end sacrificing a lot of damage. Lower damage per second directly equates to lower threat per second. Nobody cares how great your survivability is if you can't keep targets attacking you instead of your DPS and healers.

I'm in the mitigation camp. Mitigation increases the value of each hp and most healing in this game is for X hp instead for % of health. In a sustained boss fight, your mitigation will really pay off in terms of stress on your healers.

While on the subject of mods, don't downplay to the benefits of willpower. This is why I'd recommend against taking too many of the B mods. If you stack too much mitigation and endurance, you end sacrificing a lot of damage. Lower damage per second directly equates to lower threat per second. Nobody cares how great your survivability is if you can't keep targets attacking you instead of your DPS and healers.

Using full Force Wielder and 27b mods and you'll do fine on threat. I can hold threat with the very occasional taunt in Rakata atm against players in 61/63 mods, and BiS DG has something like 300-400 more WP.

There are some Good thoughts in this thread. Though i know im happy going down the Mitigation route,

Though there really hasn't been any definitive answers.

Im quite happy with my setup, but without a concept of a goal i,e maximise stats to optimize damage done to mitigation were not going to get anywhere by yelling our preferences,

I would Prefer to see tips such as, Dump 10% absorb for ........ and so on... Most people are going on about 27mods like ive stated Until i start clearing content im not actually accounting for this gear.

I have to find a guild that actually wants to put time into learning these fights, though i researched tactics its seems so many guilds are clan oriented, were if your not in the main raid group, your stuffed out,. maybe im ranting either way thanks for all the tips :o

There are some Good thoughts in this thread. Though i know im happy going down the Mitigation route,

Im quite happy with my setup, but without a concept of a goal i,e maximise stats to optimize damage done to mitigation were not going to get anywhere by yelling our preferences,

I would Prefer to see tips such as, Dump 10% absorb for ........ and so on... Most people are going on about 27mods like ive stated Until i start clearing content im not actually accounting for this gear.

I have to find a guild that actually wants to put time into learning these fights, though i researched tactics its seems so many guilds are clan oriented, were if your not in the main raid group, your stuffed out,. maybe im ranting either way thanks for all the tips :o

Check my guide, generally you don't want to drop 10% absorb for... anything.

Using full Force Wielder and 27b mods and you'll do fine on threat. I can hold threat with the very occasional taunt in Rakata atm against players in 61/63 mods, and BiS DG has something like 300-400 more WP.

The occasional taunt is fine for most of the content in this game. Unfortunately there are boss fights where losing aggro for even a split second will wipe the group. If the tank loses aggro on The Writhing Horror, you get adds that will wipe the group due to the incubation mechanic. On the tank bosses in EC, you can instantly lose two dps if one of your double destruction taking dps pulls aggro right before the cone attack.

Shadows, in my experience, have less of a problem in this regard than Vanguards or Guardians because we tend to have the higher dps in tank spec.

There are certainly guilds out there that run progression operations with the exact same set of people from week to week. So if you're looking to get into such operations, those probably aren't the guilds for you right now. I would recommend trying to find a guild that is looking to build up a progression element and be part of that process. Looks the the main lockout you want to hit every week is HM EC. A guild that wants to get into progression operations will likely still be running that and using it as a ready check for the content that drops level 63 gear.

We recently took a new dps, and a brand new inexperienced healer into our raiding group. Got them some 27 equipment from the guild bank and threw them into the fray. Cleared TFB HM a few times, moved on to EC HM. If you're on Red Eclipse, give me a shout and the invite will sort itself out. :D

33 Defense

45/65 Shield

50 Absorb

28k Health

I have similar stats. Cept I have, full time, DG Imperiling Serenity relic and DG shield amplification (+455 absorb for 6 seconds, etc) and only 38% absorb, but it works great. I statted myself around imperiling serenity + deflection (which gives me a lovely 87.xx defense chance) for those moments where I really need to buy myself 12 seconds of invulnerability to melee/ranged :)

Also, something that can be shielded can be defended against, and vice versa as far as I've researched.

Edited by JediNg

I have similar stats. Cept I have, full time, DG Imperiling Serenity relic and DG shield amplification (+455 absorb for 6 seconds, etc) and only 38% absorb, but it works great. I statted myself around imperiling serenity + deflection (which gives me a lovely 87.xx defense chance) for those moments where I really need to buy myself 12 seconds of invulnerability to melee/ranged :)

Also, something that can be shielded can be defended against, and vice versa as far as I've researched.

Yes, they can. BUT You're sacrificing WAY too much absorb and hitting a heavy DR on your defense. For overall best mitigation of damage you want your Absorb about 100 points AHEAD of defense. You're sacrificing half your absorb for what, 3% more defense then BiS which has 60% absorb and 30% defense?

EWH relic(Defense) and the DG Absorb proc relic are roughly equal to eachother, with the DG Healing relic being BiS.

Edited by ckoneful

Yes, they can. BUT You're sacrificing WAY too much absorb and hitting a heavy DR on your defense. For overall best mitigation of damage you want your Absorb about 100 points AHEAD of defense. You're sacrificing half your absorb for what, 3% more defense then BiS which has 60% absorb and 30% defense?

EWH relic(Defense) and the DG Absorb proc relic are roughly equal to eachother, with the DG Healing relic being BiS.

Yes I am, and I like it that way :)

Looks good :)

Edited by JediNg