Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

Fellow-Canadian
01.22.2019 , 12:49 PM | #131
After doing the Ossus grind for a couple weeks it's made me now hate it. I can't even bring myself to log in and play anymore as it's now become a chore or a job I don't enjoy doing and I'm not even getting paid here! It isn't fun to do the same boring loop on every character. This isn't a fun way of playing the game or getting better gear.

I don't like that I now have to juggle armour shells on multiple characters and if I don't then it will take an insane amount of time just to gear one character. I found myself needing to create a spreadsheet to keep track of which character has which shell piece for the other characters. I think gearing is becoming more and more complicated to the point I need to track characters with spreadsheets it's getting a little too much.

Tying gear to reputation is a huge mistake. You lock people into doing content that they may not like because there is no alternative way to gear. Wasn't the RNG loot crates and crazy expensive crafting materials enough of a barrier? Someone thought we needed to get rep points involved now too?

The bugs with new armorings being incompatible with old ones is a huge problem for me. It means I can't incrementally update my gear but I must purchase everything at once or it doesn't work. Mods and enhancements only working in static slots is a huge inconvenience too. I know Bioware said they'll fix them, but they haven't so far so it's still part of the game.

All I'd rather do is just PVP and enjoy myself there, but it means knowingly giving up viable ways of getting better gear. I'm okay with that. I'll optimize the gear I have so it's perfect at 252 bolster and won't pursue gearing upgrades further. I'm not going to bother with this dumpster fire of a game update because the effort just isn't worth the payoff.
The Canadian Legacy
Check out my PVP videos on my YouTube channel.

PennyAnn
01.22.2019 , 08:55 PM | #132
Quote: Originally Posted by Fellow-Canadian View Post
The bugs with new armorings being incompatible with old ones is a huge problem for me. It means I can't incrementally update my gear but I must purchase everything at once or it doesn't work. Mods and enhancements only working in static slots is a huge inconvenience too. I know Bioware said they'll fix them, but they haven't so far so it's still part of the game.
Just to note:
Bioware did NOT say they would fix the issues with set bonuses not matching with older sets. They said only that it was not intended.

There has been absolutely no promise to fix any of this mess, and if you will notice, almost zero discussion of the problems even. They are being quiet as a crypt about the disaster of bugs that was 5.10.

The main reason I believe is because they cannot figure out how to fix it. The game's code contains so much spaghetti of overlapping bits combined with a skeleton developer team working on it that this will likely remain the case. Perhaps they will figure it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath and suggest that no one else do that either. There are lots of things Bioware didn't intend to happen or change, and more and more of those things will likely remain in the game, as fixing them tends to break 10 other unrelated things, causing all those interns on loan from Anthem too many headaches to bother.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Do not correct a fool or he will hate you;
Correct a wise man, and he will appreciate you.

Click here to use my Referral Link

Fellow-Canadian
01.22.2019 , 10:50 PM | #133
Quote: Originally Posted by PennyAnn View Post
Just to note:
Bioware did NOT say they would fix the issues with set bonuses not matching with older sets. They said only that it was not intended.

There has been absolutely no promise to fix any of this mess, and if you will notice, almost zero discussion of the problems even. They are being quiet as a crypt about the disaster of bugs that was 5.10.
Scheduled to be fixed in 5.10.1 in Feb.

You may want to go back and check the dev tracker because they have talked about it. Just guessing you missed some posts.
The Canadian Legacy
Check out my PVP videos on my YouTube channel.

DawnAskham
01.22.2019 , 11:08 PM | #134
Quote: Originally Posted by PennyAnn View Post
Just to note:

The main reason I believe is because they cannot figure out how to fix it. The game's code contains so much spaghetti of overlapping bits combined with a skeleton developer team working on it that this will likely remain the case. Perhaps they will figure it out, but I'm not going to hold my breath and suggest that no one else do that either. There are lots of things Bioware didn't intend to happen or change, and more and more of those things will likely remain in the game, as fixing them tends to break 10 other unrelated things, causing all those interns on loan from Anthem too many headaches to bother.

They alluded to correcting set bonus issue - but that it was not an easy fix (they actually said fixing the set bonus for 'new' gear would be easy, but fixing the existing bugged armor in-game is not).

They also said slot locked mods was intentional.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...03#edit9681903

I believe the two are linked - the change they made to enable slot lock mods contributed to the set bonus issue.

I believe they made a choice during PTS to go forward with the slot locked mods and the bugged set bonus rather than forgoing the change to slot locked mods and leaving the gear as it had always been (with stacking bonus).

As such, they deserve a double helping of contempt.

Costello
01.23.2019 , 01:12 PM | #135
Maybe if the post could some how be linked to master mode content or something being tested on the PTS it would get some notice by the devs.

It doesn't seem they read the general forum any more. So needs to be posted in the PTS forums to be seen as credible feedback.

Lhancelot
01.23.2019 , 01:47 PM | #136
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
I have no idea what you all are talking about in the above posts.
They talking about how bad the gearing system is now, and how it should be changed to a more alt-friendly and enjoyable more customizable gearing system. Basically just go back to any prior gearing system.

Even Irving's "EXCITING" crate box system was better than this new Ossus one complete with locked in mods.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

phalczen
01.23.2019 , 03:48 PM | #137
Thanks for that. There are obviously reasons to hate and like what 5.10 layed on top of Galactic Command. I tried to make a point, as have other, that there are some facts that canít be denied, although maybe thereís some subjectivity in whether those facts are advantages or disadvantages. The truth is that there isnít a lot of new information here compared to when the 5.10 masterwork data crystal system was proposed or when it was on test. The same objections then are there now. Many of the same features are shared with GCís initial presentation. Love or hate it, it is our system for the foreseeable future.

Iíd like to see UC disintegration rates go up across the board for all tiers of GC and for 252 pieces.
Iíd like to see higher drop rates of 252 gear and MDCs in tier 4 crates.
Iíd like to see that the MM GFTM raiders are actually rewarded with a faster pathway by reducing the insane resource material requirements.
Iíd like to see some assurances from developers that Galactic Command in its current state isnít being scrapped in 6.0

I have other wishes but those are the main ones.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Jdast
01.23.2019 , 07:21 PM | #138
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
They talking about how bad the gearing system is now, and how it should be changed to a more alt-friendly and enjoyable more customizable gearing system. Basically just go back to any prior gearing system.

Even Irving's "EXCITING" crate box system was better than this new Ossus one complete with locked in mods.
Complete and utter rubbish. By your own admission, you haven't touched the game for a couple months.

Stop talking about things you haven't played.

People like Phalzcen and I have credibility, because we have played both systems. You do not.

Some of us have the capability of distinguishing between 5.0 and 5.2 and 5.6.

Learn to nuance until your subscription runs out. I can explain the math but it's not on your side. To suggest the current system is worse than 5.0 is pure poppycock. Both abstractly and mathematically.

We get it. You hate the game and you want it to tank.

Dasty

DarthNillard
01.23.2019 , 07:42 PM | #139
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
Complete and utter rubbish. By your own admission, you haven't touched the game for a couple months.

Stop talking about things you haven't played.

People like Phalzcen and I have credibility, because we have played both systems. You do not.

Some of us have the capability of distinguishing between 5.0 and 5.2 and 5.6.

Learn to nuance until your subscription runs out. I can explain the math but it's not on your side. To suggest the current system is worse than 5.0 is pure poppycock. Both abstractly and mathematically.

We get it. You hate the game and you want it to tank.

Dasty
Your credibility and $4.99 will get you an extra value meal champ....

Jdast
01.23.2019 , 07:58 PM | #140
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthNillard View Post
Your credibility and $4.99 will get you an extra value meal champ....
Take a look at my critique of the current system...based on ACTUALLY PLAYING IT.

If you're going to slam me, at least do us the courtesy of actually having read the thread.

Oh, I love being called champ. <<swoon>>

Dasty

P.S. And I'm upset by the $4.99! I spent $9.99 at the truckstop and got a boyfriend and a nice slice of pecan pie on the side with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...

<<takes long sip of martini>>