Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

PorsaLindahl
02.15.2018 , 05:27 AM | #11
When I saw the title I though "Oh God, 'R_R' is back under an alias since he's on a time out. And having 5 threads deleted just wasn't enough."

Then I saw the name. I hope Ylliarus isn't 'R_R'.

Things like this won't happen overnight. Also remember that it takes years to develop a game. So even if Uncle Mickey is waving the SW banner at other companies, it could still be 5-6+ years before we see anything tangible come out. So while EA has the exclusives to publish the game, it doesn't stop Uncle Mickey from "recruiting" another company to create a new MMO (not some lame app) and just hold the publishing until EA's license expires or gets revoked.

LunaticFringer
02.15.2018 , 06:46 AM | #12
In all likelihood all this means is that Disney is in backup plan mode and probably is shopping the IP around due to backlash against EA at the moment over this past year's consumer complaints.

All we can do is keep rehashing the same info over and over again though.
  • Because of how game code law works (sounds silly, but it's a thing) if EA loses the license Bioware, probably, owns the codes for the game.
  • Bioware, while controlling ownership of their developed SWTOR code, would not be privy to just hand SWTOR over to someone else.
  • Even with the two above bullets in play, it wouldn't stop someone from doing a non-profit emulator of SWTOR.

Basically, once/if EA loses the license SWTOR as a live game would shut down.

Due to legal jargon it essentially is easier for all parties involved if a new game is made then. Basically, everyone that was here through the mess with SWG transition to SWTOR has a good idea what will happen.

Edit/Add: I, personally, think Disney will probably keep the license with EA till 2023 but could use the "breach" in contract performance (?) to develop some games with these other potential game Publishers to have some Star Wars games ready to go in 2023 during the transition period. However, I do think Bioware put all of it's eggs in one basket with Anthem and SWTOR, unfortunately, is taking the brunt of that development slump.
"The Utinni must flow!" ~JÓlen Storm, The Star Forge!
Refer a Friend Link
The Dream is Playable Jawas and a Twerking Emote!

Ylliarus
02.15.2018 , 07:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
When I saw the title I though "Oh God, 'R_R' is back under an alias since he's on a time out. And having 5 threads deleted just wasn't enough."

Then I saw the name. I hope Ylliarus isn't 'R_R'.

Things like this won't happen overnight. Also remember that it takes years to develop a game. So even if Uncle Mickey is waving the SW banner at other companies, it could still be 5-6+ years before we see anything tangible come out. So while EA has the exclusives to publish the game, it doesn't stop Uncle Mickey from "recruiting" another company to create a new MMO (not some lame app) and just hold the publishing until EA's license expires or gets revoked.
Ylliarus is an independent entity. It does not exist in this universe and it simultaneously does. We are an enigmatic enigma, an unknowable mystery. To attempt to comprehend us, is like looking into the void. You will see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing. But the void will stare back at you and you... will become us.

All jokes aside, no, I am not R_R. I assume that must have been someone who was creating a fuss about it earlier in order to stir up trouble. I assure you that is not my intent and those who know me on these forums already probably know that I was just genuinely curious to the thoughts of others on this subject. Also, my question is very genuine: what will EA losing their Star Wars license mean for SWTOR. I absolutely want to create no fuss, no problems nor do I want to stir up anything, just have a friendly discussion with you folks here and gain insight on the subject as I am not that knowledgeable about how things work in the gaming industry :P
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

DarthDymond
02.15.2018 , 07:42 AM | #14
There is a difference between the 10-year exclusivity agreement that EA signed with Disney in 2013, as opposed to the lifespan / renewal period of EA's license for using the Star Wars IP in connection with this specific game.

The 2013-2023 agreement was just a contract wherein Disney agreed "Hey, EA, for the next ten years, in exchange for [REDACTED] we agree that we will not enter into any agreements with Activision, or Sega, or CD Projekt Red, etc., etc., etc., to produce new mainstream Star Wars games or develop any in-house -- you're the only one who gets access to the license for mainstream video games during that time."

Before that agreement, LucasArts made all kinds of one-off agreements with different publishers and developers to make Star Wars games, which is why you had Petroglyph making Empire at War at the same time that Pandemic was making (the original) Battlefront II, and LucasArts was making Republic Commando in-house.

Once 2023 rolls around (or, less likely, if they decide to use some escape clause before then), Disney/LucasArts can go back to that original spreading-the-license-around approach for future games (which, as a consumer, I hope they do), or they can go ahead and sign another exclusivity deal with EA or another company for future games. But that probably won't directly affect existing games. No one went around burning all the copies of The Force Unleashed II in 2013 when EA got the exclusive rights, and you can still buy Empire at War on Steam.

An ongoing title, like SWTOR does probably have some sort of renewal period (or conditions under which the license can be pulled from it), but whatever contract controls EA's continuing use of the Star Wars license for this game would have been inked back somewhere around 2006-2008, whenever development actually started. That's the agreement that would include terms for whether that license has to be periodically renewed and, if so, how often.

One caveat to all that: EA having this exclusivity agreement does give it some "skin in the game" when it comes to the Star Wars IP -- if SWTOR, based on its own performance / profitability, is sitting right on the borderline between EA keeping it running vs shutting it down, then taking away EA's larger interest in the IP might very well be enough to nudge it over the edge to pulling the plug.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

keladoruk
02.15.2018 , 08:05 AM | #15
Honestly I did expect Disney to shop around every time the gambling system called lootboxes is mentioned in the news Star Wars and Disney is mentioned along with EA and this is being mentioned in main stream news at least once a week now and with the new bills going forward will only increase so its hurting Disneys kid friendly brand.

But what happens to swtor depends on how angry they are with EA if Disney decide they want to distance themselves from EA then they could pull every deal and the game would shut down within 30 days of that happening look at Marvel Heroes.

Most contracts will have clauses that allow them to pull a deal if the company does something that will harm the brand name and well EA has done this so it effects all Disney properties licensed by EA.

Celise
02.15.2018 , 08:14 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by exfell View Post
Possibly losing an exclusive license does not automatically mean EA would not be able to retain licenses for their existing products. That could happen of course but it's by no means given. Depends on terms of current license(s), negotiating, and Disney's licensing policy.
it's more likely Disney will revoke their license for all future games and any in the making, EA hasn't been doing anything good with the license for years and they have been treating their only SW MMO like dirt. their recent BFr2 is a disaster site and the next game that was in production was yanked from Visceral and hasn't been seen since because EA didn't like the story for that game.

What it amounts to is that EA has only managed one game with any success to the IP and ironically it's the one that Bioware has developed and run for them without the exclusive contract before hand and they are now looking to kill off.
If Disney has any hope in getting Star wars games into player hands, they can't rely on one big game company, it would simply be more profitable for them to pull the contract from EA and put smaller contracts into many hands. a more varied and dynamic star wars player base is needed.

LunaticFringer
02.15.2018 , 08:17 AM | #17
Unless they do pull the license outright, I suspect we've got at least a year left. If we consider anything drastic off the table, then most of what happens with SWTOR probably depends on how well Anthem does at this point. However, as someone pointed out in another thread, even if Anthem does well... it just seems unlikely SWTOR will benefit from it in any way, shape, or form so to speak.
"The Utinni must flow!" ~JÓlen Storm, The Star Forge!
Refer a Friend Link
The Dream is Playable Jawas and a Twerking Emote!

ZionHalcyon
02.15.2018 , 08:30 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Eshvara View Post
Someone made multiple threads on this subject and they got removed. His reasons were to cause a stir however!
I can't blame Disney, EA seems to have failed every SW game they made and they are reckless with how they handle their games and studios.
Yeah. The concerns are legit but you can't go spamming the forums. Plus as he was trolling then the other trolls who wanted to fight with him came out and then the whole thing ended up one big trollfest.

kodrac
02.15.2018 , 08:31 AM | #19
They could "grandfather" this game since it predated the exclusivity contract with EA.
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
You are not some champion of logic, teaching the uninformed about the finer points of the fallacy of argumentation. Nor are you a Community Manager working for Bioware, though at least your prolific posting would be an improvement.

IanArgent
02.15.2018 , 08:33 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
What it amounts to is that EA has only managed one game with any success to the IP
I know a lot of people don't like mobile, but Galaxy of Heroes is many things, but unsuccessful it is not.

And it has more than a splash of TOR content - HK-47, Darth Nihilus, several Sith Empire mooks (Trooper, Assassin, and just now Marauder).
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't