Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA Might Lose Their Star Wars License?! What Does That Mean For SWTOR?

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
02.15.2018 , 03:10 AM | #1
I just woke up from a lovely sleep, grab my phone and Google shows me a link to this article:

http://www.cinelinx.com/game-rumors/...star-wars.html

According to this article, Disney and Lucasfilm are unhappy with what EA has been doing with the franchise in the gaming world and are supposedly looking at ways to take the exclusive right to make Star Wars games away from them. Instead, according to the article, they are considering to give the right to make Star Wars games to Ubisoft or Activision.

So this is yet another rumour/article that shows there is a storm going on behind the scenes that we are barely aware of. But the important question I want to ask is what this will mean for SWTOR. If EA loses their right to make Star Wars games does that mean Bioware will have to shut down Star Wars The Old Republic? Or is there a possibility that the SWTOR title will be taken over by Ubisoft or Activision and continue under their care?

EDIT: Also, to be clear, I am reading in the posts that there was another poster who had been spamming the forums with the same rumour earlier. To be clear, I am not that same poster and I wasn't aware there had been a poster spamming the forums with this rumour. I do apologise however for unknowingly and unwillingly spamming the same rumour they spammed. Had I known that something of the sorts had happened I would not have made this thread!
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Asmodesu's Avatar


Asmodesu
02.15.2018 , 03:18 AM | #2
It would be shutdown, or receive no more updates or content, is the most likely thing. Being an mmo that kinda requires more content constantly to keep it going it's not exactly easy to switch it somewhere else.

If it were to happen that EA lost it I might be surprised if they changed it to somewhere else, but unlikely since it is EA's game even if with Star Wars IP. With LotRO the new devs bought out the rights to develop it etc, so it is plausible Disney may go that kind of route but I don't know the specifics of their contract with EA.
Always a Theron fan!
Member of the Order of Zildrog - Theron Protection Agency
Safaia - a melodramatic sith, Revanite and Wrath

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
02.15.2018 , 03:21 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
It would be shutdown, or receive no more updates or content, is the most likely thing. Being an mmo. If a single player game it'd be easier to just switch developer and publisher but with an mmorpg that kinda requires more content constantly to keep it going it's not as easy.

If it were to happen that EA lost it I might be surprised if they changed it to somewhere else, but unlikely since it is EA's game even if with Star Wars IP.
I see, so shutting it down and rebooting it under either Ubisoft or Activision wouldn't be possible either? I saw some talks here once that there was another MMO (Final Fantasy I think? Not sure) that shut down for half a year or something and was later rebooted and a huge success. Could that work for SWTOR?
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Asmodesu's Avatar


Asmodesu
02.15.2018 , 03:27 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I see, so shutting it down and rebooting it under either Ubisoft or Activision wouldn't be possible either? I saw some talks here once that there was another MMO (Final Fantasy I think? Not sure) that shut down for half a year or something and was later rebooted and a huge success. Could that work for SWTOR?
Final Fantasy first release was shut down and rebooted by the developer/publisher because it was riddled with issues and it's reboot was completely different to the original, from memory (i played both for a time) and a thoguh huge success the company in charge of it did not change names, it didn't change hands. Which is the main difference here if EA gets shafted for the rights to develop and publish Star Wars is that a completely different company would need to take the reins, and then it's up to that company and Disney whether SWTOR is even included, and whether to bother with it at all, fully reboot so it's no longer the same game or continue it.

LotRO was the closest example of an mmorpg changing hands, I used to play it but do not know all those details. I only know a group purchased the rights to handle it completely off the originally holder etc and they did that so they could pump up development of content for it.
Always a Theron fan!
Member of the Order of Zildrog - Theron Protection Agency
Safaia - a melodramatic sith, Revanite and Wrath

Eshvara's Avatar


Eshvara
02.15.2018 , 03:28 AM | #5
Someone made multiple threads on this subject and they got removed. His reasons were to cause a stir however!
I can't blame Disney, EA seems to have failed every SW game they made and they are reckless with how they handle their games and studios.
#Arcannite
For The Empire

yashma's Avatar


yashma
02.15.2018 , 03:40 AM | #6
When Disney does revoke EA's right to the SW license..SWTOR's gonna go with it

exfell's Avatar


exfell
02.15.2018 , 03:56 AM | #7
Possibly losing an exclusive license does not automatically mean EA would not be able to retain licenses for their existing products. That could happen of course but it's by no means given. Depends on terms of current license(s), negotiating, and Disney's licensing policy.
Ref linky http://www.swtor.com/r/LCKynR
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
Ah, 5 people demanding it and 5 people against it - Ladies and Gentlemen, I present "The Majority".

Mournblood's Avatar


Mournblood
02.15.2018 , 04:09 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Asmodesu View Post
LotRO was the closest example of an mmorpg changing hands, I used to play it but do not know all those details. I only know a group purchased the rights to handle it completely off the originally holder etc and they did that so they could pump up development of content for it.
LotR Online has been going for 11 years and went through a total of 5 publishers. Eleven years and five publishers. The game is still running, and released a major expansion (Mordor) last year. It's my opinion that it has endured this long for three reasons: a very loyal player base, the willingness to transfer the license to a new studio to continue content development, and EA has never gotten their claws on it.
Mourne, Founder

Asmodesu's Avatar


Asmodesu
02.15.2018 , 04:16 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
LotR Online has been going for 11 years and went through a total of 5 publishers. Eleven years and five publishers. The game is still running, and released a major expansion (Mordor) last year. It's my opinion that it has endured this long for three reasons: a very loyal player base, the willingness to transfer the license to a new studio to continue content development, and EA has never gotten their claws on it.
It's still going strong, it's great. Not just because of dedicated players but devs/publishers dedicated to keeping it going too, needs someone to make+maintain it as well as those to buy it/spend money on it. Its been lucky, I kinda miss that game. Played it for a few years before KotFE was released for swtor, likely will go back to it if swtor keeps disappointing me.

I don't know EA and Disney's history of transferring licenses hence why I am quite sure it won't happen, mostly because EA is a filthy company at the moment.
Always a Theron fan!
Member of the Order of Zildrog - Theron Protection Agency
Safaia - a melodramatic sith, Revanite and Wrath

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
02.15.2018 , 04:58 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
According to this article, Disney and Lucasfilm are unhappy with what EA has been doing with the franchise in the gaming world and are supposedly looking at ways to take the exclusive right to make Star Wars games away from them. Instead, according to the article, they are considering to give the right to make Star Wars games to Ubisoft or Activision.

So this is yet another rumour/article that shows there is a storm going on behind the scenes that we are barely aware of. But the important question I want to ask is what this will mean for SWTOR. If EA loses their right to make Star Wars games does that mean Bioware will have to shut down Star Wars The Old Republic? Or is there a possibility that the SWTOR title will be taken over by Ubisoft or Activision and continue under their care?
Two points:
* According to the article, EA has only released two SW games: Battlefront and Battlefront II. I don't know which game it is we play from that list. (OK, perhaps they meant "during the exclusive license period", but it would have been a good idea to be more specific.)
* If Disney/LFL is considering changing the IP license, either to make it non-exclusive OR to sell it to someone else, those negotiations will take a while, so nosing around now isn't a bad idea, even if the plan is to let the current contract expire at its natural end.

So it's largely noise based on nothing but speculation. When there's something more concrete, I'll pay attention. Until then, noisy noise is noisy, sorry.

EDIT: also, doing things that launch these sort of rumours is a good way to put pressure on EA to clean up its act.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.