Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The 5.10 Gear Changes Don't Work. Devs, Don't Be Stubborn.

olagatonjedi
01.21.2019 , 12:55 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by IoNonSoEVero View Post
It's not the same as quoting Fleet numbers. We all know most people don't hang out on the fleet. I certainly don't.

But given the length of time it takes to earn any gear at all via Ossus it's a reasonable assumption that if people were invested in the grind and trying to earn those 252s every week, it would still be busy. The content's only been out for a month, and it's supposed to be repeatable, so for the place to be a ghost town now does show a lack of interest.

If you want to think the devs walk on water and the game should be tailored for their personal amusement, and that this gear grind is something people love, I suppose you can do that. But I don't think most players feel that way.
There is maybe 30-45 mins of WEEKLY content available for progression. The best part of Ossus is that "grindjng" gear doesnt require you to spend your entire week there. Simple one small 30-45 minute session and you are done. They hit it perfectly with this content update.

olagatonjedi
01.21.2019 , 12:58 PM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
Except the new system punishes the people who like to play alts and as a result it punishes the people who donít want to play every aspect of the game. Conquest had one time per legacy activities prior to the revamp, the revamp didnít invent those, it just doubled down on them and then some. Using alts didnít circumvent anything. The old system allowed everyone to get involved too, but gave us a lot more freedom on how. The only ďcheesingĒ was using lockouts, and not everyone did that. So, as I said, YMMV. What was good for you and yours was horrible for me and mine.

So now that conquest has a ton of alt unfriendly restrictions are you winning a lot of planets now? Are the titles you won worth sacrificing a lot of other peopleís enjoyment? Are you still going to push for #1 once you have Galaxy Conquerer or is having your guild name on the planet enough motivation to keep winning since there is no other reward for winning?
Sour grapes. BW has already stated the new system is working better now.

Noerra
01.21.2019 , 01:09 PM | #123
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
All you need is a set of legacy gear to transfer mods into it and you can store it in your legacy vault. There is one in each faction base on Ossus, near to where you pick up quests. I just park my toons there now

And don't worry about world boss fights and your performance. The bug is easy and at the droid about 95% of the fights end up with a lot of people dying all the time, respawning at medcenter and running back to continue the fight. Still I haven't witnessed a complete wipe like ever. Just make sure not to release/respawn when the boss gets down to around 10%, you won't have time to run back in time. You'll get better the more you do it.

EDIT:
Take a look at this thread. I go by that to help me with what I need long term and what 252 is safe to RE on the spot. All crit implants and the like bite the dust immediately, crystal purchases here I come.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959289

Not sure why I do it but hey I'm chugging along towards getting decked for content I'll likely never touch lol. If that's not causal I don't know what is.
Oh i feel so stupid now. I knew about moving mods been doing it with extra gear from command boxes on earlier tier. Just somehow didn't realize you can do the same with this stuff too. Thanks again. also for encouragament

PiiTarr
01.21.2019 , 02:07 PM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Well, the initial heavy RNG element of Galactic Command was intended to be fun and look how that turned out...
No, it was not intended to be fun, it was intended to prolong the grind and keep players subscribed longer. It was called "exciting" by the person who was trying his best to sell it to the playerbase. Galactic Command was essentially SWTOR's attempt to introduce elements that were felt to be highly successful in mobile games, like EA's Galaxy of Heroes. The removal of ops passes, limiting CXP and endgame gearing to subscribers, random daily CXP bonuses for various activities, and RNG gearing were all meant to incentivize players to subscribe and remain subscribed for longer than it took them to go through whatever new content was released. It was purely a business decision and it blew up in their faces, and that's why it was (slowly) changed to be more player-friendly.

Edit: They've even admitted to some of this, but I can't remember where atm, whether it was in the dev tracker posts or live streams or whatnot.

PiiTarr
01.21.2019 , 02:10 PM | #125
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
Sour grapes. BW has already stated the new system is working better now.
Please link us to where they have stated the new system is "working better."

Jdast
01.21.2019 , 02:21 PM | #126
Quote: Originally Posted by PiiTarr View Post
It will be in the same phantom post / stream where Phalzcen challenged him to provide proof / link that BW plans to build off GC in 6.0.

Still waiting, Olag.

/snicker

Dasty

PiiTarr
01.21.2019 , 02:24 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
It will be in the same phantom post / stream where Phalzcen challenged him to provide proof / link that BW plans to build off GC in 6.0.

Still waiting, Olag.

/snicker

Dasty
I was actually betting he would call out my inability to link anything in my post just above it, though I was talking about information that was put out years ago and he's talking about something that was months ago, so there is that.

Noerra
01.21.2019 , 02:29 PM | #128
No, it was not intended to be fun, it was intended to prolong the grind and keep players subscribed longer. It was called "exciting" by the person who was trying his best to sell it to the playerbase. Galactic Command was essentially SWTOR's attempt to introduce elements that were felt to be highly successful in mobile games, like EA's Galaxy of Heroes. The removal of ops passes, limiting CXP and endgame gearing to subscribers, random daily CXP bonuses for various activities, and RNG gearing were all meant to incentivize players to subscribe and remain subscribed for longer than it took them to go through whatever new content was released. It was purely a business decision and it blew up in their faces, and that's why it was (slowly) changed to be more player-friendly.

Edit: They've even admitted to some of this, but I can't remember where atm, whether it was in the dev tracker posts or live streams or whatnot.
For me that system was fun. It allowed me to do what i liked the most and still slowly gain gear and other nice surprices! I want to stress though that as ONLY gearing system (like it was on start) it was stupid idea and it should never be only way to get gear. Having galactic command working on side of the ordinary style gearing system it guarantees everyone gets something out of what ever they do (and there keeping players busy doing different things) and for those who get their gear mainly from ops etc it gives bonus gear on the side.

PiiTarr
01.21.2019 , 02:32 PM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by Noerra View Post
For me that system was fun. It allowed me to do what i liked the most and still slowly gain gear and other nice surprices! I want to stress though that as ONLY gearing system (like it was on start) it was stupid idea and it should never be only way to get gear. Having galactic command working on side of the ordinary style gearing system it guarantees everyone gets something out of what ever they do (and there keeping players busy doing different things) and for those who get their gear mainly from ops etc it gives bonus gear on the side.
Yes, I should have been clearer about referring to how it began, not how it wound up.

olagatonjedi
01.21.2019 , 03:57 PM | #130
Subjectively "working better" as in they stated that participation is up, and more rewards are being given. Its on these forums in gold if you feel so inclined.