Let's face it. The Massive Companion Grinding isn't fun and why the Comp Nerf is...

Sardorim

Such a huge issue.

The Comps before the nerfs made actually doing the Alliance stuff not a super chore just barely manageable. With the nerf everyone's slowly realizing how much of a grind the Alliance stuff really is and are rightfully angry as it isn't pretty insane.

Such a huge issue.

The Comps before the nerfs made actually doing the Alliance stuff not a super chore just barely manageable. With the nerf everyone's slowly realizing how much of a grind the Alliance stuff really is and are rightfully angry as it isn't pretty insane.

Yes its a grind, but thats what MMO end content tends to be.

Lets assume they put the companions back the way they were and you can do them really easily - what are you going to do when they are all done and all the companions are at max influence before the end of December.

With nothing new due until well into next year surely that is worse than slowly grinding them out?

Such a huge issue.

It's supposed to be a grind. This stuff is the KotFE expansion solo endgame.

If this is grind then i can't imagine you people grinding rep with Netherwing and Ogri'la back in the old days. Or Arathi Basin reputation for the Defilers Tabard after the nerf.

Edited by Kaedusz

Yes its a grind, but thats what MMO end content tends to be.

Lets assume they put the companions back the way they were and you can do them really easily - what are you going to do when they are all done and all the companions are at max influence before the end of December.

With nothing new due until well into next year surely that is worse than slowly grinding them out?

Sigh.. let's see end of December finish my Jedi knight, only 70 more alts to go, oh my!! what will I do!!!

And No.. it wasn't a grind with 4.0, it was fun. So now we know an MMO doesn't have to be a grind.

Sigh...

If this is grind then i can't imagine you people grinding rep with Netherwing and Ogri'la back in the old days. Or Arathi Basin reputation for the Defilers Tabard after the nerf.

Ragnarok Online at 1x exp rates, up to 99, then reborn and up to 99 again at a slower EXP rate.

You will go clinically insane.

Sigh.. let's see end of December finish my Jedi knight, only 70 more alts to go, oh my!! what will I do!!!

And No.. it wasn't a grind with 4.0, it was fun. So now we know an MMO doesn't have to be a grind.

Sigh...

That completely misses the point. The fact that you have 70 alts is really not 'normal' as this game goes. More power to you, Im working on my 5th and in time hope to have 16-20. However we are not 'average' or 'normal' in that regard. They didnt design the end game content for people with 70 alts to grind out over and over again, its for people with a few and that 'content' has to last them until they release more.

Such a huge issue.

I had always considered your what you are calling a 'companion grind' a progression consequential to normal game play. I could care less if I ever get Rank 50, because to be honest, having a stronger companion really doesn't please me. The stronger my companion becomes, the easier the game gets until it reaches a state where it feels like 'Spectator Mode'. I don't need or want a companion buff, they are fine in 4.02.

The 'Alliance Grind' is again natural progression consequential to gameplay. Heroic missions are more accessible to me now since there are handy terminals and warp buttons to get to them, they are fast and easy and generate credits for me stack and buy shinys, which is the only reason I continue to play. The crates have money in them, and companion rank tokens (gifts), so if handing them in is going to increase my alliance rank, that is a bonus, not something I have to 'grind'.

What you are calling a grind, I am calling playing a game I enjoy. I doubt I am the only person who thinks this.

That completely misses the point. The fact that you have 70 alts is really not 'normal' as this game goes. More power to you, Im working on my 5th and in time hope to have 16-20. However we are not 'average' or 'normal' in that regard. They didnt design the end game content for people with 70 alts to grind out over and over again, its for people with a few and that 'content' has to last them until they release more.

Well, darn it, those other folks should just L2P like I do... :p

I had always considered your what you are calling a 'companion grind' a progression consequential to normal game play. I could care less if I ever get Rank 50, because to be honest, having a stronger companion really doesn't please me. The stronger my companion becomes, the easier the game gets until it reaches a state where it feels like 'Spectator Mode'. I don't need or want a companion buff, they are fine in 4.02.

The 'Alliance Grind' is again natural progression consequential to gameplay. Heroic missions are more accessible to me now since there are handy terminals and warp buttons to get to them, they are fast and easy and generate credits for me stack and buy shinys, which is the only reason I continue to play. The crates have money in them, and companion rank tokens (gifts), so if handing them in is going to increase my alliance rank, that is a bonus, not something I have to 'grind'.

What you are calling a grind, I am calling playing a game I enjoy. I doubt I am the only person who thinks this.

Yes pretty much this.

How on earth is somebody going to max all 19 companions in 1 month, even with OP companions. :rak_02:

The real question is, why would you?

There's no real reason to max more than the companion you intend to take along. It's not like you need influence 50 to unlock the legacy presence boost, like you used to at launch with max affection.

I can see having 2-3 maybe even as many as 5. Think of companions like colors of lightsabers. I have about 6 gems that I rotate through. Changing the color of my lightsaber on my jedi changes things up. Having a stable of companions to pick from gives you a few more outfit choices. :D

That and I still have this nagging feeling that low influence companions have a greater chance of getting "dead" from the story if I pick the wrong light color at the end.

I can see having 2-3 maybe even as many as 5. Think of companions like colors of lightsabers. I have about 6 gems that I rotate through. Changing the color of my lightsaber on my jedi changes things up. Having a stable of companions to pick from gives you a few more outfit choices. :D

That and I still have this nagging feeling that low influence companions have a greater chance of getting "dead" from the story if I pick the wrong light color at the end.

As it currently stands, there's no "choice" for who dies. Companions die based on decisions bioware made, and it has nothing to do with your personal choices or if you failed to give them enough necklaces during their lifetime.

Things were slow and dull in other games in the past, therefore things in this game here and now should be slow and dull because that's just how it is.

The fact that we don't have much new content is a perfect justification for the devs to make the content that we DO have to be monotonous and choppy.

This set of solo content in particular needs to stay monotonous because people were NEVER EVER EVERRRRR able to solo H2s prior to 4.0. Also take for example solo mode flashpoints- there is such a risk there of dying and such a challenge that all other solo content should be modeled thus.

For my grand finale, please consider the final fight of the solo content of Shadows of Revan. I won't spoil anything, but your involvement in that boss fight is crucial in the extreme throughout the entirety of the fight. If you leave for even three seconds, you will die.

Edited by UTlNNl

Ragnarok Online at 1x exp rates, up to 99, then reborn and up to 99 again at a slower EXP rate.

I can vouch for that,back in the day Ragnarok was a true grindfest,cant believe how many hours i spent leveling my characters hehe.

Now they complain about the grind in Swtor? they really have it easy these days,they should go play Ragnarok or Lineage then come back and then lets see if their opinion changes.

I can vouch for that,back in the day Ragnarok was a true grindfest,cant believe how many hours i spent leveling my characters hehe.

Now they complain about the grind in Swtor? they really have it easy these days,they should go play Ragnarok or Lineage then come back and then lets see if their opinion changes.

Killing -millions- of enemies for less than 0.01% exp each? Yeah, sure, why not? xD

Things were slow and dull in other games in the past, therefore things in this game here and now should be slow and dull because that's just how it is.

The fact that we don't have much new content is a perfect justification for the devs to make the content that we DO have to be monotonous and choppy.

This set of solo content in particular needs to stay monotonous because people were NEVER EVER EVERRRRR able to solo H2s prior to 4.0. Also take for example solo mode flashpoints- there is such a risk there of dying and such a challenge that all other solo content should be modeled thus.

For my grand finale, please consider the final fight of the solo content of Shadows of Revan. I won't spoil anything, but your involvement in that boss fight is crucial in the extreme throughout the entirety of the fight. If you leave for even three seconds, you will die.

I like you. You make me laugh.

ikr, i remember spending 3 months killing Smokies to get a Kitty Band, those drop rates were insane... i just have to laugh every time i see someone call anything in these new games a grind...

How on earth is somebody going to max all 19 companions in 1 month, even with OP companions. :rak_02:

Who said anything about 1 month? Fallen Empire came out on the 27th october (20th with Early Access) so by the End of December people have had 72 days of that content.

Im betting lots of money that quite a few people will have multiple characters grinded out by then.

The French MMORPG Dofus has a "Heroic" server where if you die, your character is reset and you restart at level 1. There's also the "Epic" server where this only happens if you die in PvE content.

Old days? Try EQ1 and hell levels. With class-and-race based EXP requirements. It took an Iksar Shaman twice as much EXP to go from 54 to 55 as it took a Barbarian Warrior.

Some of us were around in the bad old days, and while we may look back on those days with nostalgia - Some of the aspects of it are things we really don't want to see again.