Community Q&A Blog Discussion: June 22nd, 2012

CourtneyWoods

Going to be working on means latter. The Nerf is now. So he's saying DO NOT USE A SHADOW TANK NOW. They are worthless until we balance bosses, which isn't happening in this patch or any time soon (as there is no eta, and they are not even sure how they need to approach it)

Any reasonable Dev team would have included in that answer "that is why we have decided not to go ahead with any changes to tanks until we have have had a chance to rebalance boss fights and ensure they are in line with expectations first"

What we got was "nerf first, ask question later. For all we know this change is going to complete gimp you vs. today's content (in fact that's what our internal numbers are saying) but you're just going to have to deal with that until we change raids. Why do we care if you spend a few months unable to tank?"

This is the line that boggled me, regarding how they design armor sets:

Have you seen the higher level consular sets? They make male characters look exactly like a clown, or a drag queen. Sorcerer gear isn't much better, but at least the lower level stuff actually looks like something a Sith might wear. If your goal is to not make characters look like clowns, you have utterly and completely failed.

Haha i never thought of it like that but you're right, the high level consular stuff does look like something a drag queen would wear, or a Brazilian go go dancer for that matter. Really really bad.

Edited by JamieM

If this actually comes true I will personally hunt you down and...and... I dunno... buy you a drink or something...

Lol you're the one JeramieCrowe.

Seriously regarding the state of the game, what we can expect with Turbine (LotRo and DDO) system they can keep both of the best systems:

• $15 monthly for people willing to play
  • F2P for others
  • RMT for the most casuals with a few tokens given away to premium memebers.

TSW is already charging $9.90 for new character slots.

Personally I find it a Rip off but a I see it coming that way. And BTW that was a smart move from Funcom.

Actually I'd be willing to pay for dual specs option in TOR.

Lol you're the one JeramieCrowe.

Seriously regarding the state of the game, what we can expect with Turbine (LotRo and DDO) system they can keep both of the best systems:

• $15 monthly for people willing to play
  • F2P for others
  • RMT for the most casuals with a few tokens given away to premium memebers.

TSW is already charging $9.90 for new character slots.

Personally I find it a Rip off but a I see it coming that way. And BTW that was a smart move from Funcom.

Actually I'd be willing to pay for dual specs option in TOR.

Yeah, EQ2 charges $10 per character slot, too.

Really.....I can't believe it happened the way he said it did, especially since he says they don't want us looking "like clowns" since that's exactly what a lot of that stuff looks like.....literally.....

It didn't happen that way. They changed the process, as he said.

The problem with using fan work comes down to ownership rights. There's a bit of legal work involved when someone submits something as a non-employee. Things like contests, however, take care of the legalese up front by requiring contestants to accept an agreement that usually acknowledges that their submission will lawfully become the property of the contest sponsor if they're chosen (sometimes they don't even have to be a winner).

I think fan made armour is a great idea. They could just tick a terms of agreement when uploading images. Problem solved.

The problem with using fan work comes down to ownership rights. There's a bit of legal work involved when someone submits something as a non-employee. Things like contests, however, take care of the legalese up front by requiring contestants to accept an agreement that usually acknowledges that their submission will lawfully become the property of the contest sponsor if they're chosen (sometimes they don't even have to be a winner).

If legality is the problem couldn't they just make a 'sticky: terms & acknowledgment of submitted content' or something of that nature with the terms of posted material / artwork becoming property of BioWare to use freely as they so choose, and if a person disagrees with this transfer of ownership they are not to post the material in the forum? ... If not then perhaps they should host a contest, get the community externally involved, make it feel like our game rather then your gross profits.

Going to be working on means latter. The Nerf is now. So he's saying DO NOT USE A SHADOW TANK NOW. They are worthless until we balance bosses, which isn't happening in this patch or any time soon (as there is no eta, and they are not even sure how they need to approach it)

That is also not what they said. Shadow tanks are perfectly viable. Honestly, I don't remember the last time I saw a group wipe in PvE content because the geared tank was taking too much damage. If your group wipes, it's because somebody missed something in the mechanics of the fight or you are undergeared. This will have a far greater effect in PvP, where Shadow tanks are clearly OP. I understand that those playing Shadows like to be OP. I liked it when my DPS Sage was OP. I got nerfed. I moved on. I suggest you do the same.

"There will definitely be more slots appearing in the near future. Stay tuned for details."

This is great news for me, I had to leave a 50 back on my old server because I want to make a Cathar when they come out, and that 50 had no self supporting crafting, where all my other guys had maxed crafts (and where at least lvl 41) after reading this I just transferred him, the key words in this v.s. the original post about extra slots where "near future", that gives me hope. Now all I worry about is that they may make it fee based for something that should have been there already to allow for one of each advanced class/faction.

Regarding the Assassin/Shadow changes..... That's a pretty weak response, considering all of the pages and pages of not only concern but also data that players have posted in the PTS forum. I have to say, I'm really disappointed in Bioware on this one. The effect on actual tanks seems unjustified, and the explanation is lacking, to say the least.

I've always played my Assassin in full tank gear and full tank spec, but there's hardly any reason to do it (even before the 1.3 changes). I've started building a DPS set, because it just makes more sense for most situations. Shield/Absorb is practically useless in PvP, and I can swap my shield for a generator and barely even notice any difference in survivability.

Is anyone seriously supposed to believe that a triple nerf (actually quadruple if you consider that Overcharge Saber also takes a small hit) is all due to the class "slightly overperforming" in PvE?

In my opinion, with all the other changes to relics, adrenals, etc. in 1.3, these classes should have been left alone to see how things balanced out. Many tanks are not only getting hit by the class nerfs, but by the loss of these other defensive items. Changing so many things all at once doesn't seem to make much sense and it seems like a poor way to "tweak" things. Kind of like tapping in a nail that has popped up... with a sledgehammer.

6 questions... and 2 of them one liner answers. This is not the purpose of a Q&A, we are supposed to come here and be tantalized with hints of future content and see answers to questions the Devs haven't answered before. The business process to how armor set art is designed? Are you serious? What a waste of time, I'm not an Administrative Assistant, I don't need this info. I'm sure of the thousands of people that read that entry the only valuable nugget was that you had to change the process to stop the failure of things like the Operative PvP endgear(seriously neon yellow? We are a stealth class tyvm) from happening ever again. There are PLENTY of questions that are thoughtful and not too heavy or hardcore for the Devs to answer and they pointedly avoid them. It saddens me to see such great questions in the forums and no answers...

Is it just me or did you read the loot table answer and have your head explode?

Maybe I am just tired, but wow, by the third senetence I felt like I was taking the SAT or something.

It's a technical response for an intricate automated system. No surprise there. I'm extremely thankful they chose to answer it, and it's proving very useful to my current in-game research project.

I read it to mean they are going to look at (1) diversifying the type of damage bosses do, with at least some of them doing more weapon damage as opposed to force/tech damage, and/or (2) Allowing tanks to shield force/tech damage.

Option 1 would seem an easier potential fix as it would only affect PvE. If you allow force/tech damage to be mitigated by shields, you would need to seriously re-balance every classes damage for PvP purposes, as the fact that force/tech damage can't be shielded is an important aspect of balance between the classes and their potential damage output.

Option 2 would ALSO validate all the PVP tank gear that has tonnes of defensive stats that are only somewhat useful vs. weapon attacks. Giving direct Force/Tech damage a chance to be mitigated (with a lower mitigation amount -- maybe half the effect compared to white attacks, or whatever is deemed suitable -- would answer the "problem" that pretty much all tanks in PVP wear the DPS gear) -- and hence the perceived overperforming, by actually making PVP tank gear worth using in PVP as a tank.

His reply also validated what I'm going to be doing tomorrow, which is to stack Endurance/Power augs in every slot of my PVE set that hasn't got an aug in already -- at the very least, I won't be QUITE so easy to 2-shot, AND it increases the healing I get via my nerfed TKThrow (now 8%) and Battle Readiness (10%). My DPS is further screwed, but the rest of the raid will have to make that up with their own augs.

Edited by Ancaglon

• Dev Post
So why have a Q&A session with question and answers we've already asked and already know the answers to?

We may revisit a question or even repeat an answer on occasion because it can be easy for many players to miss the answer, or because we want to remind everyone that it's something we're aware of/working on/thinking about. Sometimes it helps for us to repeat information - even if there's nothing new to say, we want to at least remind people we're working on things so they don't think we've forgotten.

As HeavensAgent mentioned earlier, the Q&A is not generally the venue we'll use to answer the most frequent questions. Our goal with it is to answer mechanical questions where we can, give some insight into the development process, and occasionally recognize requests and feedback. We will continue to answer the bigger questions by posting standalone blogs and news articles to address big topics - such as our series of blogs about 1.3 and our information about character transfer.

So - if you have a question about how something works, why certain decisions were made, or other concrete and detailed questions, the Q&A is the perfect place for them! For questions about topics like transfers or upcoming updates, we'll continue to provide as much information as we can through other blogs, news articles, press releases, launcher promos, and other high-visibility methods!

We may revisit a question or even repeat an answer on occasion because it can be easy for many players to miss the answer, or because we want to remind everyone that it's something we're aware of/working on/thinking about. Sometimes it helps for us to repeat information - even if there's nothing new to say, we want to at least remind people we're working on things so they don't think we've forgotten.

As HeavensAgent mentioned earlier, the Q&A is not generally the venue we'll use to answer the most frequent questions. Our goal with it is to answer mechanical questions where we can, give some insight into the development process, and occasionally recognize requests and feedback. We will continue to answer the bigger questions by posting standalone blogs and news articles to address big topics - such as our series of blogs about 1.3 and our information about character transfer.

So - if you have a question about how something works, why certain decisions were made, or other concrete and detailed questions, the Q&A is the perfect place for them! For questions about topics like transfers or upcoming updates, we'll continue to provide as much information as we can through other blogs, news articles, press releases, launcher promos, and other high-visibility methods!

Hey Allison, I have an idea, how about some kind of "stickied" FAQ so people can easily review questions which have already been answered. Then if someone asks again, we can reference them to the post.

Im just wondering this is my first time asking but Is there anyway that We can change the classes ability to carry heavier armor, I mean if we can synthweave armor up to heavy, yet we can't use it, are the developers in the process of creating maybe some kind of craft bonus to make things like armor or better weapons that couldn't be used before, available for the crafter after he has mastered the crafting ability, i noticed the difference in the armor i can wear and the armor that i can only make and i think it would be awesome to be able to do it if you have the crafting ability mastered as a bonus?

Hey Allison, I have an idea, how about some kind of "stickied" FAQ so people can easily review questions which have already been answered. Then if someone asks again, we can reference them to the post.

That, or when someone asks a question in the thread for the next week, allow us to link them to the answer that's already been given without our posts being moderated.

I'm not saying there's anything conspiratorial going on, of course, but you certainly don't need to be adding to that image...

Greetings,

You will be happy to know that we do indeed have a place our players may go to see what questions have been answered in past Community Q&As. Check out our Community Q&A Archive for a list of topics and links to the answers.

We hope this helps!

Greetings,

You will be happy to know that we do indeed have a place our players may go to see what questions have been answered in past Community Q&As. Check out our Community Q&A Archive for a list of topics and links to the answers.

We hope this helps!

Again, allowing us (the community) to link within the Community Q&A questions thread to answers that have already been given would go a long way toward not only avoiding the waste of space for repeats, but would also foster the community that BioWare says they wish to engender.

Edited by JeramieCrowe