Character Transfer, Server Populations and You

Hello there Dezzi,

Can you tell me what you mean about a Transfer fee i do not know what you mean. :)

Under "Next Step" about half-way through:

Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.
Edited by Dezzi

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

Well, I also didn't say it would "never" happen.

I simply meant that it's not going to be in conjunction with their first wave of server transfers, it's going to leave a lot of servers even more dead than they were before, and depending on how quickly they alter the eligibility of certain servers, this could really be a disaster in the making for people that actually like playing with the friends they've made to this point.

It's not looking as smooth as you're making it out to be JC. But thats pretty much par for the course.

Hello, my only real question is:

All the characters I play are on The Red Eclipse EU, as far as I know that is a heavily populated server, all I want to do is move one character from Dune Bantha EU to that server so I have all my characters on one server.

Would this be possible or am I forced to move that character and all my others to one destination server so I can have them all.

Honestly, outside of the date, they could've released a lot of this information long time ago to deal with the people who were increasingly frustrated with dead servers over night and quit. I totally get that you can't release information before it's final, but I am pretty sure they had an idea on how they were going to handle this long time ago, but yet choose to keep that information.

BW needs to realize more transparency is needed, especially when 90% of the forum posts are complaints.

Yup, as someone has already stated here, this stinks of a money grab.

As opposed to all the other MMOs where arbitrary server transfers are entirely free...

Of course they're going to charge for some circumstances. Speculating in advance as to what and assuming that it will be your circumstance that gets charged for is just that - speculation & unfounded. By all means criticise when that is what is said, but it hasn't been said yet!

Forcing players to change servers and rename their characters just because you want them to doesn't sound like the greatest business move in history, does it?

I love how its because "I want them too"

Get a grip.

You really think people are enjoying playing on "dead" servers and want to stay there to "preserve" their names?

One question and one comment:

The question:

Will these free server transfers be available to inactive subscriptions? I have friends that used to play that don't anymore, but they could again one day. They are willing to transfer if they don't have to activate their subscription. Similarly, if they don't, if they ever did come back they would be coming back to a dead server. A guess a more important question is do these free transfers EXPIRE?

The comment:

I wish their were a seniority system in place for character/legacy names. I know its selfish, but I created my main on day one of pre-order early access. I'll be quite sad if I lose my character name due to transferring... but it won't be the first time its happened in an MMO.

Yup, as someone has already stated here, this stinks of a money grab.

yes, but it also prevents a wild dash to Fatman, Harbinger, Covenant, etc.

A server would have to hit a critical mass of people to become an attractive destination in a free for all transfer system. However, nobody wants to go to a server that hasn't hit that critical mass. So you'll end up with everyone on ~4-6 servers because those already have high populations and nobody wants to go to any other.

This is a bad idea as well.

They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.

I agree merging of server might have been better but they had the trans code mostly done with the server trans they allready did so this was their fastest route.

But I'm happy there is somthing to get people on the same server again to help stop the flow of people out the door.

As opposed to all the other MMOs where arbitrary server transfers are entirely free...

Of course they're going to charge for some circumstances. Speculating in advance as to what and assuming that it will be your circumstance that gets charged for is just that - speculation & unfounded. By all means criticise when that is what is said, but it hasn't been said yet!

So either they will allow people to change server types (PvE to PvP for instance) or they won't. As this is currently not supported under the arbitrary restrictions--and they are arbitrary--logic dictates that they may allow server-type transfers in the future and that these transfers may require a fee.

Am I supposed to believe that it's just a coincidence that many people want to transfer from a PvP server to a PvE server (or vice versa) but can't, only to have the option to do so later for a fee?

Edited by Dezzi

So here is the most important question I have: Let's say some of our members of our guild don't "get the memo" and don't sign up for transfers. BW funnels us in to a server and they close that server to any new transfers. Will the stragglers who missed the window not be allowed to transfer to where we end up or will they be forced on to the next server? Think this needs to be clarified.

Question on character renames on transferred player...will any sort of prioritization be used to determine which character requires a rename? Or is the mere existence of a name on a server sufficient to force a rename for the incoming character?

Example: I have Luke, of the Skywalker legacy on server A, which is a source server. I've been playing him since Early Access, have him at level 50, etc. On server B, the designated destination server, there is also already a character named Luke, but the person who made him bought the game, played their free month, and left, never having subscribed...does he get to keep the name just because he was on the server first, or do I, as a loyal customer, get to keep the name of a character I've played, and he gets flagged for a rename if he ever comes back to the game? What if there are multiple incoming characters, what is the prioritization of who gets the name? Similarly for Legacy name.

Question on Legacy...I understand that if I merge characters each with a Legacy, highest wins...but that seems to imply that all progress on my other legacy is lost. Is that correct? Or is there going to be some way to merge the Legacy Experience? If not, why not?

Hey Devs-

If 1.3 is focused around Group play, why the hell are you making it hard to move a GUILD, the only GROUPS some of us have been relying on for the past few months? I'm still holding on to a thin shred of hope that my server is targeted as a destination, because this seems like a bit much of a burden to shift onto your playerbase to rectify your post-launch kneejerk reaction to open way too many servers. Great option for you unguilded folks, but guilds are getting the shaft here.

I completely agree!!! Transferring the full guild should be a given, name, bank, ranks and all. Thank GOD my guild is still healthy and active...but that sure as hell isn't because of anything Bioware has done. This is horrible! I can't even send a flipping mass email to my guild members...how the **edit** am I supposed to facilitate an entire guild move in LESS than 6 days?!

You won't even tell us what servers we can go to yet?! Holy crap guys...what the hell!? We have lives outside of this game...and to be frank, this game would suck if weren't for those players in my guild. THEY are what I play for...not Legacy unlocks.

Decide quick! VERY quick! We NEED this information ASAP!!!!

Thanks for the update.

I do have a question. Is the naming prioritization ONLY based on whether there is an existing legacy/character? Because I don't think it is fair to ask subscribing players to rename their characters for inactive accounts.

There should be at minimum prioritization for active players. If the inactive player decides to resubcribe, they can change their name instead.

Please let us know if this is being taken into consideration.

Thank you.

This is a bad idea as well.

They should merge servers to preserve communities/guilds etc. This is the best answer. Once the server pops stabilize then allow a paid transfer service to be implemented. The only reason this isnt happening is because of "bad press", which is asinine because SWTOR is swimming in bad press as it is.

It's not the best answer because merges, in the past, have always been incredibly buggy at best, rendered the game unplayable for most at worst. And here we have a game that is complicated with Legacy, which makes merges more complicated than any other MMO.

No thanks.

Rift's solution last year was the best, most smooth solution ever. Transfer, then eventually shut down servers. Transfers have yet to actually disrupt communities/guilds in other MMOs, and to expect it suddenly, magically will here is to fly in the face of history.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

may i change the type of server too? i have 1 toon in 37 lvl at pve (dead)server, and i want to move him to a pvp server.

regards

Not yet, but you may be able to later which "may require a transfer fee."

So here is the most important question I have: Let's say some of our members of our guild don't "get the memo" and don't sign up for transfers. BW funnels us in to a server and they close that server to any new transfers. Will the stragglers who missed the window not be allowed to transfer to where we end up or will they be forced on to the next server? Think this needs to be clarified.

I bet they could use the "paid" service to meet up with you later.

;)

This whole game is mismanaged all the way through. Amazing really.

It's not the best answer because merges, in the past, have always been incredibly buggy at best, rendered the game unplayable for most at worst. And here we have a game that is complicated with Legacy, which makes merges more complicated than any other MMO.

No thanks.

Rift's solution last year was the best, most smooth solution ever. Transfer, then eventually shut down servers. Transfers have yet to actually disrupt communities/guilds in other MMOs, and to expect it suddenly, magically will here is to fly in the face of history.

Rift alos lost a lot of players that were interested in returning because of the exact reason I brought up.

Care to give some citations to back \up your "doom and gloom" concerning server merges?

I love how its because "I want them too"

Get a grip.

You really think people are enjoying playing on "dead" servers and want to stay there to "preserve" their names?

Um, that's me. I have a small circle of friends who play, I play with then and only with them. We have our guild, I have my name, I'm having fun and not feeling like I am missing out on content. I'd stay on a 'dead' server and avoid the hassle, or risk losing my favorite names which is part of how I enjoy the game.

Future versions of the Character Transfer Service may allow more options in your choice of destination servers and may require a transfer fee.

I am not paying for your screw ups, BEAware. If I can't transfer without a fee and my server dies I will leave the game (I am on my 3rd one and I am not doing it again) I have given you enough. Hopefully it won't come to this but I am skeptical about your intentions with these transfers when looking at the above quoted line.