‘Tis the Season (For Love) – A Modest Suggestion

Karameck

Considering today’s date, I thought now would be an appropriate time to broach the topic of Romanced Companions in SWTOR.

I think there are many concerns floating around that our favorite Love Interests (LIs) will be neglected by future patches, and those who have been given the option to be killed off/exiled in the game (99% of them) have gone the way of the dodo. While I am hopeful that the Dev team will still throw us a few bones here or there, I recognize that with a smaller team our expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

While I would love nothing more than fully voiced, real cutscenes, for all of our beloved companions, my suggestion is far more modest, and I think very reasonable. I think the current staff are grossly underutilizing the mailing system for LIs. The letters received after vanilla and during key moments in KOTFE/KOTET from romanced companions were a very nice acknowledgement that those companions still existed, and cared about us, when it wasn’t feasible to actually work them into the cutscenes.

When it comes to budgeting time and resources I would think that cranking out at least one letter from our in-game spouses every couple patches or so would be more than doable. The bang for your buck on producing them is through the roof, and it will go a long way to giving those who view their LI as a major part of the in-game experience some more content to work with.

Imagine logging in on Valentine’s day (or whatever the Star Wars equivalent is) and finding a surprise love note from your favorite companion?

SWTOR Story Writers are missing a huge opportunity here IMO.

After the reprehensible behaviour of the Republic on Iokath my full on Light Side Sage would barely even bother listening to an appeal for help from most of the Republic Leadership.

But if Nadia came and said her family, friends or someone she had promised to help were in trouble he'd be there in a shot - because Nadia has never let him down, and he has never let Nadia down and will not start doing so now.

Have fairly generic story hooks that could apply to multiple LIs and you have a ready made story-driver for any players who care about their LIs (and at this point I'd bet there's more that do, than those that don't).

All The Best

I'm still waiting for decorations to support the Ronto farm that Corso promised! :D

I would love to see more cut scenes with our romanced companions, or at least messages.

Some of them still haven't had proper weddings.

Not to mention, Odessen is due for a huge end-of-war party! That would be the perfect time for some follow-up conversations with all of our key companions.

Not to mention, Odessen is due for a huge end-of-war party! That would be the perfect time for some follow-up conversations with all of our key companions.

That reminds me of when GW2 released the "get your Roller Beetle mount here"(1) Living World episode. There was a spate of glitches in the new zone which made it essentially impossible to get into the beginning of it.

The glitches were, in typical GW1/2 fashion, hotfixed while the servers were up(2), and while we were waiting, there were people lined up outside the entrance to the new zone, sitting there all in a row on their Griffons, all done up in different colours. It looked pretty snazzy and gave a real party feel to the moment.

(1) The fastest MMORPG mount I've seen anywhere. It's capable of breaking 130 mph, they say, which puts its top speed, in SWTOR mount-speed terms, at something like +700%.(3) Imagine riding a jet-powered ball-wheel unicycle... (And no, watching anime on the other screen while riding the RB is not feasible.)

(2) GW1 and GW2 servers never go down for maintenance, no matter how heavy the patch is. There's an in-game announcement that the new build will soon be available, then once it's released, you get a two-hour (90 minutes for game-debreaking hotfixes, usually) warning during which time you can log out and get the patch, or if you don't log out, you get bounced out anyway when the time's up.

(3) In a race between you on your SWTOR mount at Piloting V and me on the Roller Beetle, well, quite frankly, you might as well be painted on the road, or maybe riding Kai Zykken's log.

At the VERY least, they need to fix the "returned" LI companions (well, all of them really) so their mouths move when they speak. I can't even fathom how they allowed that huge immersion-breaking bug to happen (because they already worked) but it takes you out of the game when comps use telepathy when you've SEEN them "talk."

It's almost as bad as if they didn't have run or standing animations anymore. Seriously, why not just pose them as mannequins? BW made them talk like dummies.

I think it would ALSO be a great gift to the players if they recorded a handful of LI-version remarks for each LI character (nothing too graphic you PERV) and made sure that only romanced LI's said them. That gesture would go a long way towards restoring some faith in the devs and the game and remembering that we're playing characters and WANT to feel immersion.

Oh, yeah, and fix the leveled comps being replaced with level 1 versions. This needs to happen within the next week... 2 max... or I'll feel compelled to once again un-subscribe. I'm not waiting another 2 1/2 months for a fix that actually breaks things even worse.