Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.14.2017 , 01:38 PM | #881
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Personally I think a moderator would be the way to go but if there were also a penalty for falsely reporting someone (which of course is a stickier situation), the report function could be sufficient. I am for immediate action or at least the threat that there might be immediate action. One or two people booted instantly for "toxic" comments would go a long way to dissuading others from going in that direction.
falsely reporting someone could become murky, yeah, like, with the people that sell their referral. I don't consider that spam (assuming they wait every 30 minutes or so) and aren't repeatedly throwing it up on gen-chat.

Moderators could be a good idea, I've been playing PokeMMO whenever the mood strikes, though rare as it might be. It's a little fan-made mmo that's actually pretty decent. They actually have moderators in-game, I'm not sure if that is what you meant, but that would definitely fix some of the toxicity if only for the stern warnings froma moderator. Heck, I wouldn't even mind grouping with these "moderators", and I'm sure everyone in this thread would agree that playing with one would be neat. It would probably help to humanize the devs, too.

Lecto's Avatar


Lecto
06.14.2017 , 08:03 PM | #882
I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but I see a lot of people complaining about loosing guild property during a merger. That can be solved easily via refunds. I've been a guild leader for most of this game's existence, including the last round of server mergers (which were a blessing at the time). Back then, customer services refunded you the price of forming a guild, your guild bank & any tabs you may have had once you arrived on your destination server. This could easily be done again, but also with regards to guild strongholds/flagships & decos. BW would have to catalog what everyone had, but it would be easy enough for Customer Service to refund the appropriate amount of credits & decos to the guilds GM after mergers were complete.

PS: Please merge, I would like to be able to PvP again.........
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return". ~ Moulin Rouge
Join "Tao Covenant" today!
Twitter: @Lecto10

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
06.14.2017 , 09:41 PM | #883
Quote: Originally Posted by Lecto View Post
I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but I see a lot of people complaining about loosing guild property during a merger. That can be solved easily via refunds. I've been a guild leader for most of this game's existence, including the last round of server mergers (which were a blessing at the time). Back then, customer services refunded you the price of forming a guild, your guild bank & any tabs you may have had once you arrived on your destination server. This could easily be done again, but also with regards to guild strongholds/flagships & decos. BW would have to catalog what everyone had, but it would be easy enough for Customer Service to refund the appropriate amount of credits & decos to the guilds GM after mergers were complete.

PS: Please merge, I would like to be able to PvP again.........
I was here at the last merger, wasn't as easy done as you say. My guild empty our guild banks and our officers took the item, we disbanded our guild, restarted it and then contacted them about getting our bank and tabs back and it took them 4 ....months to get our bank and tabs back. We considered just buying another one but decided no that they were supposed to do this quickly and easy. It wasn't and we were not the only ones that had this sort of problems. So no not easily done and I shudder to think of the mess they make now with more assets.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing. If you like redheads click my Referral link Referral: http://www.swtor.com/r/VkfKqj https://poshmark.com/closet/tmcevoy1121

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
06.15.2017 , 12:34 AM | #884
Quote: Originally Posted by Lecto View Post
I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but I see a lot of people complaining about loosing guild property during a merger. That can be solved easily via refunds. I've been a guild leader for most of this game's existence, including the last round of server mergers (which were a blessing at the time). Back then, customer services refunded you the price of forming a guild, your guild bank & any tabs you may have had once you arrived on your destination server. This could easily be done again, but also with regards to guild strongholds/flagships & decos. BW would have to catalog what everyone had, but it would be easy enough for Customer Service to refund the appropriate amount of credits & decos to the guilds GM after mergers were complete.

PS: Please merge, I would like to be able to PvP again.........
It's nice that you're trying to find ways to help, but in all honesty, while those suggestions are fine, I don't see customer service refunding me all the credits I paid to buy the materials to make 500 dark projects, or the 10 million extra credits I paid, in addition to the 50 million of the ship. To get all the Exo Iso's and war supplies cost me a flipping fortune. On average, I spent 135K for each Exo Iso alone, you need 4 for each dark project and you need 250 of the dark projects to unlock another room + 5million. So, just for the exo iso's alone I spent over 135 million. Nevermind what I've spent on the war supplies, because I have to buy these things off the GTN. Multiply that by two rooms and I've spent over 280,000,000 (if you include the 5mill x2 per room). Never mind all the decorations I've bought for the ship. Some of these decos you can't even buy anymore for any price. Then there is the business of my strongholds for the guilds. I have two guilds, imp and pub side that have fully opened and furnished strongholds.

I've done all this on my own, for the guild I have for mine and my hubby's alts. it's taken me years to do it all.

If I were to lose all this stuff, it would be devastating and I would quit. No ifs, ands, or buts. The amount of money both credits and real life dollars I've sunk into the game is daunting if I think about it too much. So I really don't think customer service can refund me all that I've put into it. They can be assured of one thing, another pair of reliably paid subs would be out the door. So pardon me, this kind of loss makes it impossible for me to sympathize with someone wanting a faster queue time.
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
06.15.2017 , 12:49 AM | #885
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post

Honestly, servers do NOT need to be separated. PvE, PvP or RP...they should all be able to coexist without any issue. Pretending they're separate is one of the greatest mistakes MMO designers make imo. .
Now that is a profound observation and one that should never be forgotten. Kinda like flavors of ice cream is still ice cream!
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.15.2017 , 12:53 AM | #886
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
It's nice that you're trying to find ways to help, but in all honesty, while those suggestions are fine, I don't see customer service refunding me all the credits I paid to buy the materials to make 500 dark projects, or the 10 million extra credits I paid, in addition to the 50 million of the ship. To get all the Exo Iso's and war supplies cost me a flipping fortune. On average, I spent 135K for each Exo Iso alone, you need 4 for each dark project and you need 250 of the dark projects to unlock another room + 5million. So, just for the exo iso's alone I spent over 135 million. Nevermind what I've spent on the war supplies, because I have to buy these things off the GTN. Multiply that by two rooms and I've spent over 280,000,000 (if you include the 5mill x2 per room). Never mind all the decorations I've bought for the ship. Some of these decos you can't even buy anymore for any price. Then there is the business of my strongholds for the guilds. I have two guilds, imp and pub side that have strongholds.

I've done all this on my own, for the guild I have for mine and my hubby's alts. it's taken me years to do it all.

If I were to lose all this stuff, it would be devastating and I would quit. No ifs, ands, or buts. The amount of money both credits and real life dollars I've sunk into the game is daunting if I think about it too much. So I really don't think customer service can refund me all that I've put into it. They can be assured of one thing, another pair of reliably paid subs would be out the door. So pardon me, this kind of loss makes it impossible for me to sympathize with someone wanting a faster queue time.
This. This is enough to prove a merger would be a bad idea. UNTIL BW can find a way, that no one will lose absolutely nothing, and all other problems associated with a merger it really isn't an option. If someone wants a little faster queue time, then they can pay a measly 90 CC and transfer to a bigger server, might I suggest either Harby, or EH.

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
06.15.2017 , 01:11 AM | #887
Once our guildship was fully unlocked and loaded with pricey decos members lost interest in it and the newer folks don't really bother with it. Guilds I've joined since I've never gone up to the guildship because the novelty has worn off.

It would really be lame that some kind of guildship/guild tab inconvenience was the reason the devs felt apprehensive about merges. In the scope of things they are just castles in the sand...........
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

AscendingSky's Avatar


AscendingSky
06.15.2017 , 01:18 AM | #888
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
Once our guildship was fully unlocked and loaded with pricey decos members lost interest in it and the newer folks don't really bother with it. Guilds I've joined since I've never gone up to the guildship because the novelty has worn off.

It would really be lame that some kind of guildship/guild tab inconvenience was the reason the devs felt apprehensive about merges. In the scope of things they are just castles in the sand...........
Ah, the "X doesn't matter to me personally and therefore I decree X must be unimportant to everyone" form of invalid argument.

By that same 'logic', since I don't care for PvP and rarely engage in it anymore (and I have never touched ranked at all), therefore PvP is unimportant to this game. Therefore, again by that same 'logic', trying to increase PvP pops is NOT a reason to merge servers, because I don't care about PvP and therefore PvP is not important to anyone, so why would we go through the hassle of merging servers to increase pops for something that doesn't matter? Wow, it would really be lame if we went through with server merges over something that didn't matter, right? After all, in the grand scope of things your ranked PvP ratings, your valor ranks, and all your PvP achievements are just castles in the sand, numbers in a database that mean nothing in the real world...

See how silly and unreasonable that sounds? Your argument that "I don't care about guild ships and therefore preserving guild ships isn't important" sounds just as terrible. Think of other people's playstyles for once please. They're just as valid as your own. We all pay a subscription to this game, same as you. Our interests and issues deserve equal consideration to yours.
#FixStrongholds
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

kvandertulip's Avatar


kvandertulip
06.15.2017 , 04:17 AM | #889
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
Think of other people's playstyles for once please. They're just as valid as your own. We all pay a subscription to this game, same as you. Our interests and issues deserve equal consideration to yours.
This is true, but the people who have legitimate concerns about server population and those who don't have any ability to play certain aspects of the game because their server does not support it are not being given equal consideration by the anti-merger people. Half of them are writing off those concerns completely. Everyone in this thread is pushing their own agenda for what they want for the game, yourself included.

Bioware's chosen course of action to the "between a rock and a hard place situation" they are in, is to do nothing. The end result of that choice is the game is going to die faster than it would otherwise.

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.15.2017 , 04:27 AM | #890
Quote: Originally Posted by kvandertulip View Post
This is true, but the people who have legitimate concerns about server population and those who don't have any ability to play certain aspects of the game because their server does not support it are not being given equal consideration by the anti-merger people. Half of them are writing off those concerns completely. Everyone in this thread is pushing their own agenda for what they want for the game, yourself included.

Bioware's chosen course of action to the "between a rock and a hard place situation" they are in, is to do nothing. The end result of that choice is the game is going to die faster than it would otherwise.
That is untrue, it has been stated multiple times how server transfers are only 90 CCs. That's a quick, easy solution until Bioware are ABLE to transfer everything, without anyone losing ANYTHING. That is the main issue here, guilds, and how a bunch of people are going to lose not only their guilds, but millions upon millions of credits and other belongings.

There isn't anyone on this forum that can say that a measly 90 CCs is an expensive compromise. Is it ideal? Probably not. Will you be able to transfer all characters in one go? Probably not, but you (general you) can move them over slowly. I suggest starting with your favorite characters.

You will have your (again, general your) faster queue pops, and no one will need to lose their assets. Surely, this is a reasonable compromise where everybody wins?

If I am wrong, please correct me and inform me who is getting the raw deal? I'll wait.