Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Icykill_'s Avatar


Icykill_
06.22.2017 , 11:24 AM | #1081
Quote: Originally Posted by IntegrationArch View Post
This HeroEngine link below shows a bit dated specs but i do oracle cent OS cluster, apache, and microsoft cluster server & version 32 bit to 64 bit data upgrades, including metadata.

SWTOR does use the best core engine over oracle with scripts and other jobs in Microsoft Windows. So SWTOR metadata is robust and extensible. (Its not like its COBAL or foxpro)

So all these platforms can talk and bump up if it was funded. There are a plethra of great migration wizards and tools as well.

We need a gofundme page to help Keith's fight.

http://wiki.heroengine.com/wiki/Intr...Hardware_Setup

Ref circa 2012 on 32 to 64 bit upgrades
https://docs.oracle.com/database/122...htm#UPGRD12354
The problem is this Hero Engine is a child of bridzilla and Frankenstein because they used an alpha/beta version and heavily edited and customised it. I remember reading somewhere that they can't even get any help from the Hero Engine guys because of it. On top of that, all the original coders have left the game and I hear they are still trying to work out what they did in certain areas.
I doubt porting to a 64 bit system is as easy as you would think it should be. But this cluster F of modified code would likely break if they tried.
RIP APAC Players 😢😢😢😢💦
Please click this Refer a Friend link for free stuff

IntegrationArch's Avatar


IntegrationArch
06.22.2017 , 11:32 AM | #1082
It's not impossible. Do not try... Do. All migrations break stuff, everything is often custom, you just script and reindex and truncate you way out of it. Visual Application Debuggers are much better than they used to be too. Oracle support can be used or they colud farm out super complex frankencode off shore or even overseas for much less than domestic.

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.22.2017 , 11:34 AM | #1083
Quote: Originally Posted by Deewe View Post
Be careful of what you ask because it might already be on the way.

I'm afraid the next Battlefront could be SWTOR killer.

You'll have massive fast paced multiplayer SW action. Add a couple of MMO elements and well start to be worried. Top that with micro-transactions and sand box elements and you don't even need a shovel to dig SWTOR grave. Both EA execs and the majority of the players will be more than happy to perform an euthanasia on the aging elephant and incinerate it.

Almost forgot, contrary to SWTOR, they do have the big budget both for development and marketing.
idk brah, most battlefront games I played (at the least 1 and 2, mainly 2. I haven't played Battlefront 3) the combat was literally a mess when it came to the Jedi characters, and they were so thoroughly OP that I refused outright to play as one of them. They were so difficult to play, and watching the Darth Maul clip for Battlefront 4 (I refuse to call it Battlefront 2) the combat doesn't look like it has changed much.

It might be different if EA brings out a PC game, but Battlefront is a PS game, totally different platforms. I understand what you're trying to say, but they're both completely different.

IntegrationArch's Avatar


IntegrationArch
06.22.2017 , 11:36 AM | #1084
Current EA Starwars Battlefront reboot is PS4/XBOXONE/PC. An xboxone user can not match with a PC user however. Battlefront is not a mess it's very graphic but strickly combat PvP. No guilds, no RP, no Lore, no crafting. No content really. Arena Graphics are crazy good.

B2 will be better based on Celebration and interviews, B2 will have 3 separate time periods for Arenas but it wont be SWTOR.

In fact, SWTOR is like a Rock Band you never stop liking for your entire life and always turn up on the radio when you hear your favorites, so there will always be a place for it, always be players but it just needs performance update and refreshing on the edges.

Savej's Avatar


Savej
06.22.2017 , 11:54 AM | #1085
Interview with Keith on Bad Feeling Podcast. And while Eric says "we aren't talking about merges" Keith spent several minutes talking about merges.

X-Server: not gonna happen (officially) but it's not the engine's fault

Nothing is set in stone yet but the current thinking is to open new server(s) and encourage people to transfer. The new transfer system would handle guilds, guild assets, friend lists, etc.. He spun through several details and commented on logistics issues over merging things like legacy banks. I encourage people to check out the podcast and the reddit thread.

fushnchips's Avatar


fushnchips
06.22.2017 , 12:06 PM | #1086
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
Interview with Keith on Bad Feeling Podcast. And while Eric says "we aren't talking about merges" Keith spent several minutes talking about merges.

X-Server: not gonna happen (officially) but it's not the engine's fault

Nothing is set in stone yet but the current thinking is to open new server(s) and encourage people to transfer. The new transfer system would handle guilds, guild assets, friend lists, etc.. He spun through several details and commented on logistics issues over merging things like legacy banks. I encourage people to check out the podcast and the reddit thread.
http://badfeelingpodcast.com/audio/p..._162_final.mp3

there is the pod cast going to listen to it now
Pineapple on Pizza for life

Free stuff for you and me click here : Refer a Friend

OneHit's Avatar


OneHit
06.22.2017 , 12:23 PM | #1087
In the podcast they did say something really amazing was coming. But the last time they said that it was about open world PvP in Iokath. So it could be total ****. I'm sure it's years put either way at this point.

Like seriously though. Can we start a go fund me page to help these guys. Cause I'll put my money where my mouth is an fork over the 60 for a new expansion. Even if we have to hire a new team ourselves.

And just throwing this out here. I of course alone don't have the means. But how much does EA want for swtor? What's the I don't want to sell it number?

Savej's Avatar


Savej
06.22.2017 , 12:32 PM | #1088
Quote: Originally Posted by OneHit View Post
In the podcast they did say something really amazing was coming. But the last time they said that it was about open world PvP in Iokath. So it could be total ****. I'm sure it's years put either way at this point.

Like seriously though. Can we start a go fund me page to help these guys. Cause I'll put my money where my mouth is an fork over the 60 for a new expansion. Even if we have to hire a new team ourselves.

And just throwing this out here. I of course alone don't have the means. But how much does EA want for swtor? What's the I don't want to sell it number?
I was a cartel market contributor (whale) for awhile but not anymore. All I can say now is that my sub is ending in a few days until BW shows us they care about server pops.

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
06.22.2017 , 12:44 PM | #1089
Quote: Originally Posted by Savej View Post
I was a cartel market contributor (whale) for awhile but not anymore. All I can say now is that my sub is ending in a few days until BW shows us they care about server pops.
Not trying to single you out, but at the same time I'm not really sure what would convince you they care about server pops. Ultimately, the only thing that's going to help server populations is for the game to attract more players, and that happens only by adding/making changes that cause more people to want to subscribe. Server merges and cross server queues are a temporary fix to address queue times and ultimately do nothing for retention. Those who want to remain will remain, and those who find nothing to hold them to the game will still leave. Declining populations are a symptom of a larger problem, not the cause of the problem, and until there is something concrete to bring in more players (new or old) and retain them, there will continue to be population issues, even if they were to implement the suggestions made in this thread.

Edit: So from my point of view, anything they are doing behind the scenes to improve the game and retain players is showing they care about server pops, though we may not see the results right away, since these things all take time to design, test, and implement.

TyonYlle's Avatar


TyonYlle
06.22.2017 , 01:03 PM | #1090
Quote: Originally Posted by OneHit View Post
Like seriously though. Can we start a go fund me page to help these guys. Cause I'll put my money where my mouth is an fork over the 60 for a new expansion. Even if we have to hire a new team ourselves.
Just make a page, I'm sure other people will join it. Maybe even contact BW directly?