Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
06.20.2017 , 01:29 PM | #971
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaveat View Post
There is an old quote that applies to tech too:
"In War, all things are simple. But, individually, the simple things are hard to do."

The overall process is simple: Backup up the guild sections of each servers database, merge, then restore the guild section of each (old) servers individual DB into the new merged DB.

The complication is that the guild identifiers for each server are probably not universally unique, only unique for that individual server. So, you would have to create a unique ID for each server, apply it to existing guilds on each server, Backup, then run the restore process on the merged server DB.

The process would be the same for every non-universal identifier for each existing server.

[/endofline]
Once again, if it were truly that simple, then why did BW not do that during the previous two serer merges, when it was only guilds and guild banks involved and consequently, there were far fewer "unique non-universal identifiers" involved?

IntegrationArch's Avatar


IntegrationArch
06.20.2017 , 01:30 PM | #972
yup....

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.20.2017 , 01:30 PM | #973
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Some of those "cosmetic items" had a real dollar cost not to mention the time invested in obtaining them. A lot of people for mergers seem to be of the opinion that what is best for them is best for everyone. There are in fact wrong in that assessment.
What is something that had an actual dollar amount to buy?? Name some of those things that you bought with real money, that you think will be lost. You've got me perplexed as to what on earth it could be...

And stop with that stupid lie. I'm thinking about what is best for the GAME, not myself. DEAD servers are a cancer...they need to be removed. They do actual HARM.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DWho's Avatar


DWho
06.20.2017 , 01:34 PM | #974
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
What is something that had an actual dollar amount to buy?? Name some of those things that you bought with real money, that you think will be lost. You've got me perplexed as to what on earth it could be...

And stop with that stupid lie. I'm thinking about what is best for the GAME, not myself. DEAD servers are a cancer...they need to be removed. They do actual HARM.
Any deco that came out of the cartel market cost CCs (cartel packs, direct purchases) which cost real money. The definition of DEAD is the problem. JC, Shadowlands, Ebon Hawk, Harbinger and even Begeren Colony (sorry if I misspelled it) are not dead. The PVP servers are dead.

As to an Example: "Jace Malcom Commemorative Statue" came out of a cartel pack which cost CCs and thus real money

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.20.2017 , 01:34 PM | #975
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
How about we ask all the PvPers to lose their PvP ratings, valor levels, titles, and achievements during a merge in the bargain? That's all 'just cosmetic', right? They don't actually affect anything in game, right? So surely that shouldn't stand in the way of mergers either...
Apples and oranges. You're talking about player achievements, some of which have in-game impacts (like valor level). Those have all been worked out to move intact in our current system anyway...so...why use that as an example exactly? None of those are lost.

Decos can be replaced. Players can't.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.20.2017 , 01:38 PM | #976
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Any deco that came out of the cartel market cost CCs (cartel packs, direct purchases) which cost real money.
I'll give you that...but those should be able to be replaced by Bioware imo. I don't expect consolidation to not impact them...they obviously have **** to work out, but that's also why they get paid to manage the game.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

AscendingSky's Avatar


AscendingSky
06.20.2017 , 01:41 PM | #977
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Apples and oranges. You're talking about player achievements, some of which have in-game impacts (like valor level). Those have all been worked out to move intact in our current system anyway...so...why use that as an example exactly? None of those are lost.

Decos can be replaced. Players can't.
1) Many decos cannot be replaced anymore, either due to extreme rarity or the fact they are literally unobtainable in the game at this point (Makeb Gazebo, anniversary decorations, etc.)

2) The point I was trying to make is that it's not fair to tell ME that what's important to ME doesn't matter just because it's not important to YOU. It's not fair to tell me that it's okay if everything that is important to ME will be sacrificed to benefit OTHER PEOPLE, when said other people aren't having to sacrifice anything of their own in exchange. Your logic seems to be "X is not important to me, therefore X is not important at all." Well, PvP isn't important to me; by your logic, it would be alright for me to advocate for PvPers to give up everything THEY have worked for to benefit ME. Yet somehow I think you would protest against me taking that stance.

Kriff, none of them even spent real money on PvP, whereas many decorators like myself have spent A LOT of real world money on those decorations you think aren't important! You say players can't be replaced? If all my work and investment in this game is taken away, I WILL QUIT, and I know a lot of people personally who will join me. We've already had in-guild and in-community discussions about the situation.
#FixStrongholds
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

Chelz's Avatar


Chelz
06.20.2017 , 01:50 PM | #978
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
Some of those "cosmetic items" had a real dollar cost not to mention the time invested in obtaining them. A lot of people for mergers seem to be of the opinion that what is best for them is best for everyone. There are in fact wrong in that assessment.
Then stay on your dead server with your cosmetic item, and when you are alone, you can spend hours looking at it. IT'S A DECO, GET A GRIP MAN!

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.20.2017 , 01:54 PM | #979
Quote: Originally Posted by AscendingSky View Post
2) The point I was trying to make is that it's not fair to tell ME that what's important to ME doesn't matter just because it's not important to YOU.
I don't care about anything else you wrote, but this set me off...I expressed MY opinion. MINE! Not yours, MINE. You are free to speak for yourself. I don't type for anyone but myself. IN MY OPINION, decos are the least important part of any merger. I don't care if NONE transfer...it's that much of a non-issue to ME. If you can express how important to YOU they are, allow me to express how little I care about them. My strongholds are literally decorated with Meat Trees...that's how little decorating matters to me.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm simply saying I don't care about decorations. 99% of them CAN be replaced, the people leaving because the servers are dead, can't be. Dead servers are a cancer, decos are cosmetic.

However...realizing that they are an issue to people like you, I'm perfectly fine with Bioware trying to figure out a way to move most, if not all of them, for people (as I said above).
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

DWho's Avatar


DWho
06.20.2017 , 02:00 PM | #980
Quote: Originally Posted by Chelz View Post
Then stay on your dead server with your cosmetic item, and when you are alone, you can spend hours looking at it. IT'S A DECO, GET A GRIP MAN!
Would love to but in a server merger I don't get a choice