Should there have been a SWG 2?

Nebbycat

No. SWG was never wildly popular anyways. I think at most it had 300k which is good dont get me wrong but you are never coming to keep all your subs from your highest point anyways. Plus that sandbox goes against the core beliefs of bioware in general and telling a story requires somewhat of a linear approach.

No. SWG was never wildly popular anyways. I think at most it had 300k which is good dont get me wrong but you are never coming to keep all your subs from your highest point anyways. Plus that sandbox goes against the core beliefs of bioware in general and telling a story requires somewhat of a linear approach.

This.

SWG never actually had any storyline that lasted a particularity long time. The longest I can think of is back in NGE during the Legacy quest line which took you from 1-60ish, and even during that I couldn't really make sense of everything that was going on.

The different theme parks were kinda cool, but they were all finishable in less than a day.

SWG was great, but some things definitely needed to be fixed.

The crafting system was very great, but I'm not sure how I felt about crafted armor and clothing having no level requirement, even when stated with 35's in them.

Brb running around with my level 22 Bounty Hunter with the same gear as my level 90 Bounty Hunter minus Heroic Jewelry & Weapons.

Whats funny is....where was all this talk bout SWG when it was.....ya know around?

It was there. Just by die-hard swg fans. I played the game for 8 years and it was average at best, but thats my opinion on it. Some people disagree, but the game isn't the holy grail of MMO gaming like people make it out to be.

SWG was great, but some things definitely needed to be fixed.

The crafting system was very great, but I'm not sure how I felt about crafted armor and clothing having no level requirement, even when stated with 35's in them.

Brb running around with my level 22 Bounty Hunter with the same gear as my level 90 Bounty Hunter minus Heroic Jewelry & Weapons.

Lol, **** you don't know what SWG was.

Played 2004-2011.

Gave one example.

Combat was horrible. It looked like crap and had a horrible feel and flow to it.

Class diversity was also horrible. Pretty much everyone had the same expertise.

PVE and PVP content was also horrible. They had no idea on how balance either one of them.

The one aspect that they somehwhat did well was the socilzation that it provided with the non-combat professions. No faction restrictions. The chronicles and story teller. Crafting was good, but not as a great as it was. Space combat was also decent.

Whats funny is....where was all this talk bout SWG when it was.....ya know around?

Where have YOU been for the past 8 years? After 1 - 2 years of poor decision making by SOE a huge amount of players complained. SOE is just very skilled at ignoring and doing the exact opposite of what their community asks of them.

Combat was horrible. It looked like crap and had a horrible feel and flow to it.

Class diversity was also horrible. Pretty much everyone had the same expertise.

PVE and PVP content was also horrible. They had no idea on how balance either one of them.

The one aspect that they somehwhat did well was the socilzation that it provided with the non-combat professions. No faction restrictions. The chronicles and story teller. Crafting was good, but not as a great as it was. Space combat was also decent.

Agree on most of those points.

The main aspect that really made me want to puke was the story or "Legacy."

The amazing Legacy that my toon experienced in SWG: All shall fear the Dark Jedi who single handedly saved grandmas from penny thugs and outwitted several half naked men with wooden staffs that can parry lightsabers! (True Story)

Ironically, the SWG legacy ended 'not with a bang but with a whimper."

outwitted several half naked men with wooden staffs that can parry lightsabers! (True Story)

Well, there is precedent.

Freakin' Felucia. Hated the crap out of that planet for this alone.

As to the topic... I don't get a few things about this. If SWG was doing well enough to remain successful, I doubt it would have been killed. It was always one of those games that SOE had on life-support for the longest time (something they're exceptionally good at doing). It doesn't surprise me that LucasArts (as they had a hand in killing it as well - I don't know why people tend to attribute it solely to SOE in the matter) would rather kill it to avoid confusion and because it's not exactly doing a lot with the license.

'To all good things must come an end.' It was bound to happen sometime - it may be best to just move on.

SWG was a social MMO through and through, if you could get into a good guild with nice people it was an awesome game.

Creating your own cities, establishing a society, furnishing your house and making a piece of a planet your very own. There was nothing just quite like it.

Being a Jedi was speciel, people had real respect for the handful or so Jedi Masters on each server, you were always wary around Bounty Hunters and planets were immense and interesting to explore, creating camp sites and just chatting with your friends in the wild.

Everything could be crafted, you'd need to create your own machines to gather the resources, then survey the best area to place them, I've even seen entire communites built up around especially resource rich areas, giving a feel of colonization that no other game has ever been able to match thus far.

You could create everything, even your own starships, and space combat was multiplayer and awesome, you could even have people aboard your ship if it had room for it, having people man the guns and repairing internal damage in battle.

It might not have had great story or interesting combat, but really, what MMO other than TOR has EVER had a great story, and what MMO has ever had interesting combat?

It wasn't a perfect game, but it brought people together to have fun, and that I think, is what a MMO should be all about.

As to the topic... I don't get a few things about this. If SWG was doing well enough to remain successful, I doubt it would have been killed. It was always one of those games that SOE had on life-support for the longest time (something they're exceptionally good at doing). It doesn't surprise me that LucasArts (as they had a hand in killing it as well - I don't know why people tend to attribute it solely to SOE in the matter) would rather kill it to avoid confusion and because it's not exactly doing a lot with the license.

I don't think that SWG was on life-support.

It wasn't doing well, that's for sure. But I feel like the game had mostly recovered from the NGE around 2007. I will always prefer Pre-NGE SWG to Post-NGE SWG, but at that time the game felt that it had become what I think the developers had wanted it to be when they made the big change.

Sure, the subscription list wasn't top notch by any standard, but it was doing a lot better than some of SOE's other games. Typically with SOE we see a common trend that shows that a game is dying, and is probably going to be shut down soon. It always starts with going F2P, and then SOE implements some other gimmiks to keep people intrested, but ultimately the announcement of shut down is released.

With SWG it was different. The F2P came months after the announcement to shut down, and it was only available to active subscribers, and access for new subscribers was shut down. I really believe what the Developers posted on the forums about them being taken by surprise with the shut down. They were activly pumping out new content, and the things that they were putting out around 2009-2011 were pretty big projects, really, and I don't think so much work would have been put into them if they had been thinking that the game was going to shut down.

What happened is that the contract that LucasArts had given to SOE for the Star Wars IP was going to expire and they had two choices. Either renew the contract, or shoot the horse. It doesn't surprise me that Lucas decided to pull the plug. After all, Lucas loves monay, and it was obvious from the initial announcement that SWTOR would be a lot more successful than SWG after the success of the KOTOR games, and BioWare's reputation for making a good story. LA decided to go with the option of what would make them the most money, and that's really no shock.

But it was probably for the best. There really is no way that both games could have survived together. Once SWTOR was released only a handful of loyal players would have been left in SWG, even after the initial sparkles of TOR had worn off, and people were going back to their previous game - the subscriber rate would still be a lot lower than before TOR was launched. Had that been the case, then there's no doubt in my mind that SWG would have gone down the path of previous SOE titles like The Matrix Online, and go F2P and everything else that encompasses a dying game. If that had happened I think the whole thing would have been a lot sadder than when the announcment came out of the blue.

SWG did do a lot of things right, though. But, I credit that to the style of the game being a sandbox. I think there are things that every game should take from SWG, mostly it's crafting and player housing system. But then again, there are plenty of things from other games that SWG should have taken.

It really is dissapointing though how it all went down. SWG went out with a wimper, not a bang.

Edited by LrdStryfe

It did well for it's time, but I don't think a game of that style would last as a new release in the age of WoW's MMO-Lite players <_<. Everyone seems to prefer being told what you're supposed to be, rather then creating your own role. /shrug

So no, they shouldn't of.

Where have YOU been for the past 8 years? After 1 - 2 years of poor decision making by SOE a huge amount of players complained. SOE is just very skilled at ignoring and doing the exact opposite of what their community asks of them.

What I mean is where was all the talk of how SWG was so great and everything when it was still around, not talking about all the complaining.

Of course TOR is going to be better in a lot of ways than SWG, SWG is ancient. But, i'd sooner have SWG back than a boring linear game like SWTOR, anytime of the month! Everywhere I went, it was devoid of life, everything was static. If you're going to have something that is centrally story driven, then by default it will be linear.. side quests are a bonus... oh! Like Skyrim (Elder scrolls)... Fable....

For an 'MMO' I think BW should have had a look around the market place at what MMOs are like, before developing this.

It's as though BW started working on KOTOR3 Single player and some bright spark must have said 'Wouldn't it be good if it had some online content!?' and someone said 'Yeah! gosh darn it! Let's make it 'LIKE' an MMO!! Yeeeeeee HAAAAAAA!!' :cool::rolleyes::D

In fareness, I like the game, but not as an MMO.. Not on your life!

Edited by nite_shade

SWG was a social MMO through and through, if you could get into a good guild with nice people it was an awesome game.

Creating your own cities, establishing a society, furnishing your house and making a piece of a planet your very own. There was nothing just quite like it.

Being a Jedi was speciel, people had real respect for the handful or so Jedi Masters on each server, you were always wary around Bounty Hunters and planets were immense and interesting to explore, creating camp sites and just chatting with your friends in the wild.

Everything could be crafted, you'd need to create your own machines to gather the resources, then survey the best area to place them, I've even seen entire communites built up around especially resource rich areas, giving a feel of colonization that no other game has ever been able to match thus far.

You could create everything, even your own starships, and space combat was multiplayer and awesome, you could even have people aboard your ship if it had room for it, having people man the guns and repairing internal damage in battle.

It might not have had great story or interesting combat, but really, what MMO other than TOR has EVER had a great story, and what MMO has ever had interesting combat?

It wasn't a perfect game, but it brought people together to have fun, and that I think, is what a MMO should be all about.

I shed a tear to this post, I miss SWG soooo much!! (pre NGE)

SWG was great when it first launched. My friends and i loved it. The fact your could build your own home where you wanted and decorate it was amazing. I put mine on the side of a cliff on Tatt where no one else lived. Had a great view.

I had one person I bought my droids from. It was a blast putting in the order and checking to see if it was ready day to day.

It was a great game until the dreaded "update". Then it fell apart. I quit soon after the update.

SWTOR is the first MMO to bring me back. I'm loving it!

To all the Starsider server people... remember at launch the guy who would dance at the spaceport all the time? LOL

What I mean is where was all the talk of how SWG was so great and everything when it was still around, not talking about all the complaining.

Mostly confined to the actual game. Most of the complainer/nestalgic flashback voices were people who were burned by the cu or nge change overs, now those voices are mixed together with the die hards since the galaxies people were scattered to the wind. Today, it's a cluster **** of people with wild views about 'what galaxies was', looking down on other peoples experiences with disdain when 'what it was' depended on what combat style happened to be active (pre-cu, cu, base nge, nge-post auto aim, nge-post 35's etc etc.) during their playtime. Hah. xD

SWTOR is the first MMO to bring me back. I'm loving it!

I think People need to really understand what an MMO is, an online game doesn't make it an MMO.. I play BF3 and the likes but it doesn't make it an MMO.

If my life was linear, I would be sooooo bored!!:eek: