Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really wish Bioware would stop putting so much effort into how shiny the foliage in the game is and fix balance problems and bugs.

I just imagine the devs sitting around a table coming up with their priorities for 1.5 and saying, "you know, we still have some major bugs to address, and the DPS classes need some serious balance fixes, but there is a rock somewhere on Tatooine that doesn't look just right. Let's get right on that."

You know what came first to me, wth this game is going!? I've played 2 hours of Guild Wars 2 and got hooked and then there is this ***** of **** in the "star wars" universe. I'm one die hard Star Wars fan but it seems it wasnt enough

Who honestly cares about that when the game is in rough condition? I really question whether or not you are trying to enrage your own community by posting stuff like this when there are so many other problems. Truly mind boggling.

WOW! This is really awesome! Great job!

After seeing the before/after pictures and reading the article, you can really see a huge difference in how the light is effected by what it passes through.

Just gives me more reason to believe that the longer this game is out, the better it gets. Thank you for the hard work!

You know what came first to me, wth this game is going!? I've played 2 hours of Guild Wars 2 and got hooked and then there is this ***** of **** in the "star wars" universe. I'm one die hard Star Wars fan but it seems it wasnt enough

Cant argue personal opinions, but the way I see it, it''s the other way around. I tried GW2 played 40hours and really wanted to finish story but was totally unable to, while the engine is good and graphics crisp, the gameplay is a diablo ripoff and totally boring, spamming 3-4 buttons hoping ull get a good result at the end of the total mayhem on screen. no life no immersion no connection to people no strategy nothing really. People are starting to quit it in mass. SWTOR with all its early flaws is by far the best MMO and keeps getting better, if it continues like this within 6 months it'll be virtually perfect and will quadruple the subs base. I couldn't care less about starwars and its universe, but I am totally addicted to this game regardless.

Of all the replies, this is one of a very few who hit the nail on the head.

BioWare has (had) a reputation for making good games. But on this one they've seem to of dropped the ball on many occasions.

This is something that was not a priority. There are so many other things that have greater necessities than making the scenery greener.

BioWare. I just don't know.

It's because EA got their greedy little fingers into BW's part of Star Wars.

Yeah i had 6 days of early play, made a 50 trooper before the end of dec, quit in jan (just came back 4 days ago) and the reason wasnt so much graphics but being angry and how small the game was in comparison to some older MMO's out there.

I cant speak much on the dps balance thing because i'm not a pvp'er (i never understood what the big deal about that was in another mmo..but whatever) but I'm on a planet, but i cant explore the whole or even half the planet? I'm speeding along on a planet and theres this mountain range in the background..oh wait no its just a background.

You will never be able to ever make it to that mountain range. You can only explore in what ill call straight lines. You just cant go off on a tangent and find far off places, and battle some random strong npc that no one else has found yet.

Its easy to get long winded on this point because..heh i really love star wars and i'm still angry because this game should have been alot more..a whole lot more that what it is.

fix general performance and environmental performance first.

I cant agree more. my character gets stuck on a load screen more times than i can count in just the 4 days that ive been back.

I go do black hole dailes , click on the shuttle,hmmm go to ship...............loading screen.............go afk come back......loading screen. ok if that only happened once..fine but thats happened alot. group died in an OP. click to revive at med station........loading screen...well i wont finish that op tonight. after restarting the game a few times im finally back in..out the op group of course..and standing on the planet i was on like 2hrs ago

Ive been gone awhile so i cant complain about alot that could use a fix but..who knows maybe its just me. If so direct me to a fix i need to make. I'll say this..i will not load a third party program (this ram drive business) just to be able to play a game smoothly especially if that game is less robust than the 4 other games (2 of which are beta) that i have no lag / fps , loading screen hang up problems.

Looking forward to it, IF it doesn't break things like the 1.4 update. I still have members of my guild that DC at 2-3 hr intervals due to the memory leak. With some tweeking, I've mangaged to get a good 8 hrs in without a DC. I usuallly log out for a while to make sure that my memory dumps so I can go back and play later.

I think its great wen BW takes graphic aspect seriously forward (I am hoping for future texture pack!), and really takes time on updates, moreover we all want to see good improvements.

I am looking forward to update 1.5...

Edited by sandisrd

I think guild wars 2 is an example of what the graphics in this game should have been, I still don't understand why bioware went with this cartoony graphics. The game is going to look old very soon, specially with the new games and new engines coming out.

hopefully they have plans for graphical improvement in the future, more than shiny plants.

I think guild wars 2 is an example of what the graphics in this game should have been, I still don't understand why bioware went with this cartoony graphics. The game is going to look old very soon, specially with the new games and new engines coming out.

hopefully they have plans for graphical improvement in the future, more than shiny plants.

Having been a beta tester, they are slowly moving to a more realistic look for the characters. Gradually over time the skins have become more an more realistic (facial hair stubble, blemishes, and the rest). In beta they were dressed up versions of Clone Wars, now not so much. Hopefully they will continue to move in that direction.

fix general performance and environmental performance first.

Shaders play an important role in graphical performance. We do not know what they changed, asides from it looking different the code may also have been optimized further to enhance performance. Beyond that, performance is not all too bad. In many areas a 100+ fps is not impossible, and an fps of approx 50 - 60 in warzones is also not out of the question; on highest settings at 1080p.

Shaders play an important role in graphical performance. We do not know what they changed, asides from it looking different the code may also have been optimized further to enhance performance. Beyond that, performance is not all too bad. In many areas a 100+ fps is not impossible, and an fps of approx 50 - 60 in warzones is also not out of the question; on highest settings at 1080p.

FPS doesnt necessarily mean performance issues. I have around 110 FPS while alone and still get like 60-70 in a raid setting. Some things will bring my machine to a crawl. Other things will make me hitch/stutter or lag spike. Other things give graphical issues. Other things have UI problems/load screen problems/long load times/screwed up things when you shut the game down/memmory leaks/ability lag or no fire or registered fire with nothing happening or ability no fire with a cooldown anyways.... all those things have nothing to do with FPS and everything to do with performance.

Edited by Soluss

FPS doesnt necessarily mean performance issues. I have around 110 FPS while alone and still get like 60-70 in a raid setting. Some things will bring my machine to a crawl. Other things will make me hitch/stutter or lag spike. Other things give graphical issues. Other things have UI problems/load screen problems/long load times/screwed up things when you shut the game down/memmory leaks/ability lag or no fire or registered fire with nothing happening or ability no fire with a cooldown anyways.... all those things have nothing to do with FPS and everything to do with performance.

FPS is a good performance indicator, as if something brings your machine to crawl you obviously don't have a 100FPS there. A lot of which probably boils down to hardware and/or driver issues however. As personally I have no slowdowns. So either it's a hardware problem per se, or the game is conflicting with certain drivers or vice versa.

Also in terms of loading screen issues, I have none with the average loading screen taking roughly 5 seconds. SSD's work like a charm. Sure on traditional HDD it may take time, however, that's primarily a hardware issue moreso than a general performance issue.

As for the last part of your text "ability lag or no fire or registered fire with nothing happening or ability no fire with a cooldown anyways"... I couldn't descramble.

FPS is a good performance indicator, as if something brings your machine to crawl you obviously don't have a 100FPS there. A lot of which probably boils down to hardware and/or driver issues however. As personally I have no slowdowns. So either it's a hardware problem per se, or the game is conflicting with certain drivers or vice versa.

Also in terms of loading screen issues, I have none with the average loading screen taking roughly 5 seconds. SSD's work like a charm. Sure on traditional HDD it may take time, however, that's primarily a hardware issue moreso than a general performance issue.

As for the last part of your text "ability lag or no fire or registered fire with nothing happening or ability no fire with a cooldown anyways"... I couldn't descramble.

Look man, I have no reason to lie. I get 100FPS most of the time. You also should not need an SSD to run a pos game.

As for the part you cant descramble if you dont know about ability lag or delay or fires that dont happen then you are just lying. Its well documented here.

As for everything else... no its not a damn hardware issue. Just because you dont have problems doesnt mean other people do. Enough of hardware issue crap. I can run any game, on max settings without a hitch, except this one. This game doesnt have the graphics to have such ****** performance. Its their crappy coding and their crappy engine, not my hardware.

There was a similar update with 1.4 who brought very bad performance problems including low FPS and stuttering for alot of people also including crashing and texture glitches that are still not resolved right now. Make sure you test your patches appropriately before you implement them.

:mad:I had this problem big time with both my Nvidia and Radeon machines after 1.4 - still can't use my Nvidia machine even after the patches. For me, the problem seems to worsen as the number of players active in a given instance increases.

:) Even so, I must add that I love the graphics in the game and welcome the effort that goes into updating/improving them.

:mad: BUT each new update also needs to bring fixes to exisitng problems - nothing irritates me more (and it seems just about everyone else!) than when a new patch only adds to the list of exisitng issues.

:)I have been playing 1.5 on the public test server on and off for the past week - completed Tython and Coruscant so far. The graphics run considerably smoother (for me, anyway) on my Radeon than the current 1.4 version on the live server. Hope this is true for others trying it too. Still, there are considerably fewer other players active at the same time on the PTS.

ignore the naysayers

yes other things need changing in game right now and maybe other things need fixing

but the finished results in this feature are amazingly different. I work in graphic design and those before and after pictures are like chalk and cheese the new look really pops out at you.

Whoever the guy is in charge of this project needs a slap on the back or at least a few hours off work

courtesy of the management.

This is a job well done and to all the trolls and pessimistic folk just remember

a positive thing towards the game is just that a positive. This change will make your online star wars

world look nicer and come alive. Embrace the good things and by all means moan about the bad.

But dont whine over something as good as this

Edited by R-Tee-Doo-Tee

your working on makeing grass n tree,s look better !!

how about fixing bugged lore items and bestiary codex,s

i.e.

Persons of Interest: Darth Angral (Knight) - Currently unobtainable

Beastiary: Terentatek - Currently unobtainable

Lore: Jedi Weapons - Currently unobtainable for the Jedi Knight

Species: Sullustan - Currently unobtainable by the Jedi Knight

Titles: Taris - Currently unobtainable (Mission-Giver was removed)

Organizations: Taris - One of the two, the Settler's one is currently unobtainable

your working on makeing grass n tree,s look better !!

how about fixing bugged lore items and bestiary codex,s

i.e.

Persons of Interest: Darth Angral (Knight) - Currently unobtainable

Beastiary: Terentatek - Currently unobtainable

Lore: Jedi Weapons - Currently unobtainable for the Jedi Knight

Species: Sullustan - Currently unobtainable by the Jedi Knight

Titles: Taris - Currently unobtainable (Mission-Giver was removed)

Organizations: Taris - One of the two, the Settler's one is currently unobtainable

Making game prettier vs. codex… I'll take the graphics upgrade thank you.