Flashpoint Meridian - Malgus Knockback AoE - What?

His triangle/cone knockback AoE.

I spend an entire fight running away from this and it knocks me back anyway. At the end of the fight i get knocked back off the platform even though, as before, I'm stoood waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of the AoE.

Party wipes.

Take two:

I stand in this AoE out of bewilderment at the start of the fight and I do NOT get knocked back. For the rest of the fight I make an effort to run into this AoE and I don't get knocked back. Until right near the end, it's the last time I'll probably see this AoE. I run into it. It knocks me back and off the platform.

Can someone please explain the mechanic of this stupid attack? Because it's inconsistently a piece of garbage going by my experiences.

Edited by NayaruLovegood

Except for glitches, the main idea is to always position yourself so that any knock back will not toss you over the edge, even if that means taking time away from doing damage. In the early stages of the fight that simply means being on the 'inside' of Malgus, relative to the edge. Later on that does become a bit trickier, but doable. Edited by JediQuaker

Yeah I've passed it a few times before now by just ignoring there's an aoe telegraph at all and assuming it's going to knock me back whatever I do but this time I was trying to be logical and figure it out. This seems to be one of the few "there is no logic" encounters. x) Edited by NayaruLovegood

I was coincidently in that FP just last night (for CQ, VM). I particularly noticed how often other players got towards the 'outside' of Malgus while fighting. It was close a few times, but luckily no one got tossed off.

The end of that FP is annoying. I always get a momentary feeling that the game has glitched because it so suddenly transitions. 😏

If you are targeted by Malgus you are knocked away no matter if you stand in the violet coloured display or not, that thing is more for the rest of the group as those who also stand in the telegraphed direction are knocked away too (at least in MM). For the end phase with the shadow void growing in the middle of the platform, you have to make sure to stand close enough while not standing in the other big violet circle as that heals Malgus for every person taking damage from it (mdps can't avoid a few ticks but should run out of it) and yet not too far away from him and not too close to the edge to get knocked off the platform, think of a tangent along the dark void that just avoids getting into the shadow stuff and lets you end up just before falling off the platform.