Powertech spec on the road to 50?

Hearst

I was just curious as to what your thoughts were as to the best tree to spec in to -on the way- to 50.

I know we've all discussed the PvE and PvP merits of level 50 builds ad infinitum, but playing my Powertech while slowly creeping up the Advanced Prototype tree is a bit... slower and less engaging than my experience as an Arsenal Merc in the past.

Would you suggest going with Pyro or Shieldtech on the road to 50?

Because right now with the low tier Adv. Proto skills, I honestly just kind of feel like a gimped Mercenary without as much range... and only a few melee/close range attacks to distinguish myself, even then.

I know this is a class that kind of starts slow and comes into its own as it gets its later skill points and abilities fleshed out, but what are your suggestions for Warzones/solo questing until then?

It seems odd that I have to wait until the 20-24 range to even get grapple/high energy cylinder. I figured I'd get those abilities much sooner into the tree.

Any opinions (other than pointless flaming) would be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind, I am definitely more interested in PvP and solo questing for the sake of XP than rigging a build specifically for flashpoints and ops.

Thanks in advance.

A lot of people complain about AP's being too slow in the beginning. I can see that being the case, too. But it might be worth it. I think most people are playing Pyro, then Shield, with pick ups from the AP tree, since they have some good early ones that benefit the other trees.