Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

For the love of god not this again

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
For the love of god not this again
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Willjb
03.24.2021 , 07:22 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOverMind- View Post
Game Update 6.3 - 'The Dark Descent' will be making its way to PTS soon. PTS will also be available on Steam! The team is targeting next week, but it's subject to change. We did not announce a release date for Game Update 6.3. We'll announce a release date after everyone has had a few weeks of hands-on experience with the PTS.

No. Just no. You are doing this on purpose. This shouldn't be subject to change. No.. Don't say a word. NO
^Apparently, you don't take into account the production cycle of industries and to suggest that BioWare is somehow wronging you/ "doing this on purpose" is: Wow. -1

JackieKo
03.24.2021 , 11:55 AM | #22 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
As the moderation team will yet again be cleaning up this thread of the off topic posts, there is a valid question that popped up on why I addressed something publicly.

This is the not the first time I have directly responded to a player(s) in this space due to behavior.

I understand that not everyone is going to agree with how I and my team may moderate the forums, but I believe in having a balanced presence of being a CM liaison between player and dev and also being a CM who enforces rules publicly and privately. Again, the interactions that I saw taking place were not healthy, and on top of that, they were affecting more than just the people who were involved with the conversation.

There will be moments where I can have private conversations with people and there are times when I have to speak out directly because the atmosphere of the forums as a whole is being impacted negatively.

Again, I ask everyone here to please contribute to these conversation in a constructive, respectful, and civil manner.

Please continue on topic.

Thanks all.
Jackie | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

xdjinn
03.24.2021 , 03:09 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOverMind- View Post
If they push the date to release 6.3 that means we have to wait again for pvp ranked rewards and I'm seriously exhausted to wait.. Pvp players do not need to wait the experience from this FP from PTS. So once again they give up their pvp players and they don't give a damn respect about them. Moment of silence please.
they don't give a damn respect to any players tbh, shouldn't surprise you much
http://www.swtor.com/r/XWq2wR - 7 days free subscription. And cookies.

DarkTergon
03.24.2021 , 03:33 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by xdjinn View Post
they don't give a damn respect to any players tbh, shouldn't surprise you much
If 6.3 is delayed, it would be more disrespectful for them to release with the bugs, we've enough issue with bugs as it is.

But i would love to hear why season 14 has to be delayed too, is it tied up to that release, or could they let it go without 6.3

foxmob
03.24.2021 , 08:27 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
But i would love to hear why season 14 has to be delayed too, is it tied up to that release, or could they let it go without 6.3
they've made some disastrous decisions in the past by starting new seasons with significant content introductions that turned rated arenas into a slapstick horror show. I'm not being facetious or spouting hyperbole here either. the rishi arena was broken af when they dropped it, and they dropped it the same day of the new season. players were hitting dead zones every other match (that I was in). I believe it was recently taken out of rotation again?

anyway, it's a very bad idea to start a new season right when you drop new content (maps, big balance patches or game mechanics that affect balance), but that seems to be the M. O. for most games. /shrug
Krack

fabsus
03.25.2021 , 01:03 AM | #26
at that point i just want to drop an articel, written by raph koster about criticism.
this is a must read for every moderator and dev, and a good read for every forums user:
https://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/1...ing-criticism/

maybe this will open our eyes a bit for some empathy,
even if the ways to get some attention are a bit different.

and for all of those, still not understanding why a delay is such a problem,
just imagine if the operation IDs are locked until the next patch. it's just the same.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion.
http://www.swtor.com/r/cyZhrF <--This is my Ref-Link. Feel free to ignore or benefit from it.

TrixxieTriss
03.25.2021 , 03:21 AM | #27
Just stepping back from this to look at the bigger picture (also, Iíve no horse in this race as I donít do ranked pvp since Bioware closed the Aussie servers and yes that still rates as my number one disagreement with Bioware)

So looking at this from the outside. The easiest solution is to disentangle ranked pvp seasons being linked to major patches.

Ie, hard code in that a season starts and finishes on x dates during the year with x amount of preseason time in between.
This way rewards can be guaranteed to be delivered when new seasons start or end (depending on how Bioware wants to distribute the rewards)

If there were 3 seasons a year, you could have 3 month seasons with 1 month in between
If there were 2 seasons a year, you could have 5 month seasons with 1 month in between

Iím sure Iíve read these sort of suggestions before.... at least a dozen times since actual ranked seasons started 7-8 years ago.

Sadly, Bioware often skip over good community driven ideas in favour of ideas that upset customers (players).
I swear the gaming industry is one of the only industries that I can readily think of that can get away with ignoring their customers and doing things that cause extreme disappointment or dissatisfaction and get away with it.

Does anyone remember when EA and Biowareís slogans represented the developers making games for gamers by gamers? Maybe Iím just old, but I remember when game companies use to emphasise the games were being made by gamers for gamers. Then corporate greed got involved and itís been a downward spiral for 20+ years. Itís at the point where whole generations have grown up to just accept that paying for poor services is normal, when the reality is it shouldnít be normal and it wasnít 20+ years ago.

SteveTheCynic
03.25.2021 , 05:49 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
So looking at this from the outside. The easiest solution is to disentangle ranked pvp seasons being linked to major patches.
Hard to say if it's actually *easier*, but it would probably be *best*, easier or not.

And the way to do that is to *not* have the dates hard coded (er, that's why, in part, it requires a patch, because it's hard-coded)(1), but instead to change the dates to be read from configuration:
* The season is active or not. The clients (on our PCs) get their indication of that from the server.
* At each daily reset, the server reads a configuration value to decide if the season is active, and which season it is.
* Option: at each *weekly* reset, if the changes of season are always linked to the weekly schedule.
* Something along the lines of [mumble mumble mumble](2) to handle people who are logged in *at* the weekly reset.
* New assets for a previous season's rewards are shipped in a patch chosen by the studio. It's hard to decide exactly how it should work.
Does anyone remember when EA and Biowareís slogans represented the developers making games for gamers by gamers? Maybe Iím just old, but I remember when game companies use to emphasise the games were being made by gamers for gamers. Then corporate greed got involved and itís been a downward spiral for 20+ years. Itís at the point where whole generations have grown up to just accept that poor services are normal, when the reality is it shouldnít be normal and it wasnít 20+ years ago.
You're only old if you think you're old, but I have a vague recollection of slogans like that, but it might have been Activision or Ubisoft or Imagic(3). Or lots of others.

Then again, I remember when Activision, Imagic and EA between them gave a firm lesson to Atari in how to get pretty-looking graphics out of the *extremely* limited hardware of the Atari 2600. Maybe that makes me less young than I might appear. When the video game crash of 1983 happened, I was 17...

(1) If it's hard-coded, the only way it can be changed is by a patch, where they deliver a new version of the code where the value is hard-coded to a different value. If it's decided by configuration (a) it isn't hard-coded, and (b) it can be changed without a patch.

(2) I have no idea what goes here, but it isn't really important when describing the top-level structure of the thing.

(3) That's a slight joke. Imagic were fatally wounded by the stuff in 1983, and never recovered, and they eventually succumbed in 1986, but they did good stuff on the Atari in the meantime.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
?REDO FROM START
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

OlBuzzard
03.25.2021 , 09:51 AM | #29
Just stepping back from this to look at the bigger picture (also, Iíve no horse in this race as I donít do ranked pvp since Bioware closed the Aussie servers and yes that still rates as my number one disagreement with Bioware)

Ie, hard code in that a season starts and finishes on x dates during the year with x amount of preseason time in between.
This way rewards can be guaranteed to be delivered when new seasons start or end (depending on how Bioware wants to distribute the rewards)

If there were 3 seasons a year, you could have 3 month seasons with 1 month in between
If there were 2 seasons a year, you could have 5 month seasons with 1 month in between

Iím sure Iíve read these sort of suggestions before.... at least a dozen times since actual ranked seasons started 7-8 years ago.

Sadly, Bioware often skip over good community driven ideas in favour of ideas that upset customers (players).
I swear the gaming industry is one of the only industries that I can readily think of that can get away with ignoring their customers and doing things that cause extreme disappointment or dissatisfaction and get away with it.

Does anyone remember when EA and Biowareís slogans represented the developers making games for gamers by gamers? Maybe Iím just old, but I remember when game companies use to emphasise the games were being made by gamers for gamers. Then corporate greed got involved and itís been a downward spiral for 20+ years. Itís at the point where whole generations have grown up to just accept that paying for poor services is normal, when the reality is it shouldnít be normal and it wasnít 20+ years ago.
Going out on a limb here and I'll try not to put a chain saw in the hands of someone who's responsibility it is to do what is right ( if you catch my drift) !!

*** The PvP community is often more volatile (for whatever reason). It's also one of the most difficult to navigate from a development point of view since the idea of "balance" is often reviewed so differently by so many different people from so many different walks of life. IMO .. this is one job I wouldn't want.

The truth of a debate in this aspect of the game often like a three edged sword:
* The point of view from each of the two people involved ( two sides)
* The actual event that has transpired ( 3rd side )
Trying to find common ground can be like walking through a minefield !

*** Suggestions ... thoughts on the game from players: this is often a challenge as well. I'm certainly glad that BW finally took to heart what was suggested regarding the changes in the UI. Several good suggestions have been made that would help expand or return parts of the game that worked really well in the past:
* companions: ( several really good suggestions are available on this subject)
* Strongholds : One new one just around the corner ... hopefully a couple more that have been suggested might be done as well.
* new class: Would add new desperately need content !

These are just a few quickies so that we don't go off topic !!

Point is that there are some really good ideas that the team can use to springboard from ... make the idea their own and really add something special that we could enjoy for a long time !!

*** Game designs and gamers: this has been something of a sore spot as well. Like it or not developers get a bit testy on this subject !! It really is their vision of the game / story that is being told. I know.. I know ... we're the paying customer. I get that. But there is a LOT MORE to this thesis of gamer vs developer. I wont spend a lot of time on this since it is somewhat sensitive. And frankly out of respect to the one person who I KNOW is reading this.. I really don't want to stir up trouble !!

IMO .. the statement I made earlier (using an idea and making it their own) is the best we can hope for. Heck ... for as long as I've been here I can think of only two or three ideas (maybe 4 at best) that are worth anything !! Soooo what would I expect (at best). I would like to think that IF THAT idea were used BW / TEAM would do their best to make that idea as much fun and top notch as possible AND free of BUGS . ( You had to know I was going to say that ) .

The rest is up to BW !!
I sense a disturbance in the force ....
What was ... is no longer
"Tear down this wall"

foxmob
03.25.2021 , 11:10 AM | #30
I had always assumed that was the case simply because of allocation of resources priority. like...all hands on deck for the (certainly) more important patch installation. worry about non-CM ($$$) stuff like seasonal rewards afterward. I do know it takes some human eyes to weed out cheaters. b/c musco (iirc?) stated in the past that they do so.

anyway, I hope that's the case, because if they're just doing it with the patch for the sake of doing it with the patch...lul. but I think more than hope that it has to do with tying up resources.
Krack