Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware, why was the change made to stop us customising returning story companions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware, why was the change made to stop us customising returning story companions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TrixxieTriss
01.12.2021 , 11:33 AM | #41
Maybe get an answer today?

JackieKo
01.12.2021 , 01:30 PM | #42 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Not that I’ve found, which is why I’m asking Jackie if she could get an answer from the team. If an answer has already been given, then I apologise and would greatly appreciate if someone can point me to the info.
Hi TrixxieTriss. Had to do some digging. Off the bat, if a companion is considered a guest companion, meaning that they have not permanently joined your party, and you equip them with items, you can lose them if you lose the companion or reset your quest. The change made was to prevent that loss from happening as we did not want players to lose those items.

Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I begin to wonder what the definition of "guest" for a companion actually is ?
Guest companions can fall under two categories. One type of guest companion is that they are temporary and never officially join your party. The second would be that the company is considered a guest until they officially become your companion. That generally happens once an arc is completed.

I'm going to have additional conversations and see if a list can be made that categorizes companions as such, so it'll be helpful to know when you can or not customize them at all. It sounds like that would benefit players who are part of the RP communities as well. That might be a bit difficult to create as story affects this a bit, but I'll see what can be done.
Jackie | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

ceryxp
01.12.2021 , 01:58 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by snordoc View Post
You actually can colour-sync companion clothes. In the companion clothing window (companion tab of your character window), click on the small shirt button next to the upper left corner of the head gear slot. A new menu with personalisation options will appear in the lower left part of the window.
You can, but it's buggy and in some cases it doesn't work.
In my experience the inconsistent colour syncing occurs when you mix and match armour pieces and do not apply a dye. For example, on one character I had tried to create a unified armour theme for all Alliance military members. I chose to use a black-red colour scheme, to match the Alliance banner/flag deco, and the chest piece I chose already used those colours. So I picked out the rest of the uniform, applied each of the pieces to all applicable companions, and colour synced the outfit. When the companion was summoned the outfit would appear correct, but when I dismissed the companion and they were either placed in a stronghold or when in the Alliance base on Odessen the outfit would not be colour synced. After I applied a black-red dye then they would appear correctly as a deco in strongholds and in the Alliance base.

So, the bug is that companion outfits do not always colour sync well if there is no dye applied, but applying a dye seems to correct for the bug.
~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~
Friends of SWTOR Referral program - My Referral Link
New players can get a Jumpstart Bundle. Returning players can get a Preferred Friends Bundle & 7-days of premium time. Bundles are given on first use only.

DarkTergon
01.12.2021 , 03:13 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by JackieKo View Post
Hi TrixxieTriss. Had to do some digging. Off the bat, if a companion is considered a guest companion, meaning that they have not permanently joined your party, and you equip them with items, you can lose them if you lose the companion or reset your quest. The change made was to prevent that loss from happening as we did not want players to lose those items.

Guest companions can fall under two categories. One type of guest companion is that they are temporary and never officially join your party. The second would be that the company is considered a guest until they officially become your companion. That generally happens once an arc is completed.

I'm going to have additional conversations and see if a list can be made that categorizes companions as such, so it'll be helpful to know when you can or not customize them at all. It sounds like that would benefit players who are part of the RP communities as well. That might be a bit difficult to create as story affects this a bit, but I'll see what can be done.
Thank you Jackie for getting back to us, and sticking around. I know we can be scary sometimes, but our bark is worse than our bite
{stupid is a hard barrier}
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMlVrbO_mAU&t=19s My Coruscant stronghold
Click for free goodies 💖💖💖💖

eabevella
01.12.2021 , 09:05 PM | #45

Thanks for the response, you are great.

TrixxieTriss
01.13.2021 , 06:22 PM | #46

Thank you Jackie for getting back to us. While I’m happy you were able to find out the info and follow it up for us (thanks again it means a lot), I can’t say I’m happy about the explanation you were given of why companions customisations and gear is locked when they return of when you are first taking them on as companions.

I also completely understand that you can only tell us what’s been explained to you and you’ve not been here for the 9 years of game history. So this isn’t on you in any way.

After thinking more about the explanation, the more it rubs me the wrong way because for 9 years we’ve been able to do this. For 9 years this wasn’t a problem. And I know for a fact that my returning companions over the years have had their gear mailed or returned to me before the start of the chapters (which still happens by the way).
You can still even go to a terminal on Odessen and claim old companions back after they’re dead. I’ve done this with both Vette and Torian after you decide who Valin kills,

So while the explanation makes logical sense, it’s also a little bit “soft” in substance when there were already features in place to prevent people losing gear. But let’s say for arguments sake some people were losing gear due to bugs in the old system, then I can understand why a change of some sort needed to be done to stop those bugs. But that’s not part of the explanation?

And even if a change was needed to be made to prevent people losing gear, surely a better one could have been implemented that did not stop people from RPing with their companions. Aka, as soon as you “lose the companions” at the start of Kotet, all of their gear could have been mailed to the character (like it is when they first show back up in the story). This system could then also be used if later on a player decided to kill off or decline a companion becoming a permanent member of the alliance.

Anyway, I am grateful for you finding out what you did. I hope my feed back can help with developing a better way to adjust this system so that players aren’t locked out of RPing with their companions until they stop being guests (which is too late because the cut scenes and interactions are over by then for 99% of companions).

Raistalion
01.14.2021 , 05:08 PM | #47

I find this change really disappointing. I customize all of my companions in the main game and given the number of alts I have it is very important that i am able at least to apply the Appearance Customization so that each character has distinct companion as soon as possible. i really liked that I could pre-load those Customizations for KOTFE/KOTET and now any future characters I run through those episode will just be the Generic ones. Please at the very least can you find out some way to work around this issue that isn't just the lowest hanging fruit for the appearance slot? The companions being in new gear is fine, but just like TrixxieTriss says, some of us have spent Real Money through the market to buy Cartel Appearances or put in time to acquire other specific appearances. Not being able to see them on screen anymore just... sucks... I miss my Sith-Eyed Kira.
(Vedros anima est mea!)