stuck on quick play mode until download finishes

zeeSTARhelper

hey first time poster here, but im stuck on the quick play mode until the game finishes downloading, heres the thing there is nothing downloading and i was playing fine earlier in the day post update, ive already uninstalled and re installed the game and nothing, also when i have the launcher up it doesn't say anything is downloading it's been stuck at 0.00% for over 2 hours any suggestions? Edited by zeeSTARhelper
FIXED

there are a number of threads on this, there are some fixes that work for some people but not others. Disabling BitRaider and doing a full game download seems to be the most effective fix so far. Or wait for a dev response.

FIXED -- error in launcher config file

After experiencing the same issue (characters not available for play after latest update), I've been able to resolve the matter by fixing - of all things - a spelling error in the SWTOR launcher configuration file.

In my case, it had to do with the BitRaider app apparently not handling the update properly due to, as it seems, a simple spelling error in the 'launcher.settings' file. This file is located in the main game directory ('\Program Files (x86)\Star Wars-The Old Republic' for me).

Close the game, then open the launcher.settings file in Notepad. Look for the following line:

, "bitraider_disable": false

and change this to

, "bitraider_disable": "false"

So yes, just add 2 parentheses like in the other lines. After this change, the following happened for me:

- After starting the launcher, the game started to update again, re-downloading some 320 items, including most of the 'Asset' folder (around 25 GB?).

- It reported an error with 66 of the files, and prompted me to press 'Repair'. Which I did.

- Lengthy repair procedure

- I pressed 'Play' again, and was greeted by a server selection screen, followed by the character selection screen with all chars available for play. Tested & worked. Yay!

based on what you have described with the re-download repair you have switched to the non-streaming client - does your launcher no longer have ST at the bottom left? I'm not sure about putting the boolean false into quotes, but hey if it works.

Does the streaming client have to be removed to fix this bug? I'd like to hear from a dev, as I cannot access the game at all currently other than new character quick play.

based on what you have described with the re-download repair you have switched to the non-streaming client - does your launcher no longer have ST at the bottom left? I'm not sure about putting the boolean false into quotes, but hey if it works.

Does the streaming client have to be removed to fix this bug? I'd like to hear from a dev, as I cannot access the game at all currently other than new character quick play.

for me the st was in the bottom left corner and i could launch the game but was only allowed to start a new character was not allowed to play my pre existing characters until a DL finished that never progressed in in the process of applying his fix and will update

After experiencing the same issue (characters not available for play after latest update), I've been able to resolve the matter by fixing - of all things - a spelling error in the SWTOR launcher configuration file.

In my case, it had to do with the BitRaider app apparently not handling the update properly due to, as it seems, a simple spelling error in the 'launcher.settings' file. This file is located in the main game directory ('\Program Files (x86)\Star Wars-The Old Republic' for me).

Close the game, then open the launcher.settings file in Notepad. Look for the following line:

and change this to

So yes, just add 2 parentheses like in the other lines. After this change, the following happened for me:

- After starting the launcher, the game started to update again, re-downloading some 320 items, including most of the 'Asset' folder (around 25 GB?).

- It reported an error with 66 of the files, and prompted me to press 'Repair'. Which I did.

- I pressed 'Play' again, and was greeted by a server selection screen, followed by the character selection screen with all chars available for play. Tested & worked. Yay!

worked like a charm thank you sir

• 3 months later...

and change this to

Had the problem today and this fixed it. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

and change this to

Not counting my chickens just yet but the download is now running at least. Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

and change this to

This fixed it but just an FYI, it was about a 1.5 hour download for me.

Do the Launcher fix. the other "re-install the whole game" stuff sucks and is unnecessarily time consuming. I want to "PLAY" the game, not spend my day resolving technical issues that are WAAAAYYYY over my head. Yes, this is just as confusing as options trading analytics to some people. It was hard enough for me to download the game the first time. Go beyond button pushing and i'm lost. Just ask my guildmates. Maybe Ruffolofi(sp) should get hired?? :D:D Not saying the current development team is bad, just that more eyes looking at this massive amount of code can't hurt and ol' Ruffy has proven to helpful. Thanks to the SWTOR team for all the work. I LOVE this game. Edited by ImpNavScout

and change this to

Thx... attempting this now. Taking forever to reload the ENTIRE FRIKKIN game...

*BW/EA/SWTOR TEAM - this is beyond ridiculous, and completely unacceptable for a solution. I tried every other "fix" option posted - nothing works.

Greatly disappointed :(

J

Brilliant. This worked for me.

and change this to

This does appear to fix the issue, but I'm doubtful it does so for the reason you think.

I'm pretty sure editing the file invalidates the hash and kicks off a repair/re-download of some sort.

I initiated the same fix, and it does appear to be downloading now. However, a quick view of the file shows the edit removed along with other info (such as my saved account name).

This "fix" is actually just breaking the game in a way that forces repairs to kick in.

This does appear to fix the issue, but I'm doubtful it does so for the reason you think.

I'm pretty sure editing the file invalidates the hash and kicks off a repair/re-download of some sort.

I initiated the same fix, and it does appear to be downloading now. However, a quick view of the file shows the edit removed along with other info (such as my saved account name).

This "fix" is actually just breaking the game in a way that forces repairs to kick in.

Quickplay mode is unique to streaming aka bitraider

disabling bitraider switching to non streaming is a new game install and it fixes the issue as quickplay does not exist in non streaming , and a steam install will also fix this as it too is non streaming and quickplay doesnt exists

see https://answers.ea.com/t5/Troubleshooting-Guides-Info/Guide-How-to-Switch-to-Non-Streaming-Launcher/m-p/4867417#M27

and change this to

After trying several other supposed fixes this actually worked for me. I just wanted to say thank you so very much! I truly appreciate your help.

Do the Launcher fix. the other "re-install the whole game" stuff sucks and is unnecessarily time consuming. I want to "PLAY" the game, not spend my day resolving technical issues that are WAAAAYYYY over my head. Yes, this is just as confusing as options trading analytics to some people. It was hard enough for me to download the game the first time. Go beyond button pushing and i'm lost. Just ask my guildmates. Maybe Ruffolofi(sp) should get hired?? :D:D Not saying the current development team is bad, just that more eyes looking at this massive amount of code can't hurt and ol' Ruffy has proven to helpful. Thanks to the SWTOR team for all the work. I LOVE this game.

co-signed in that I just want to play by hitting "play" not jerry-rig code. Super frustrated :(

and change this to

I guess I should have read this more closely. It seems to be reloading the entire game. NOW I CAN'T PLAY AT ALL!!!! I AM REALLY MAD ABOUT THIS!!!!!