Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Season 13 and the Future of PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Season 13 and the Future of PvP
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ChrisSchmidt
07.14.2020 , 10:29 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi friends,

As we alluded to in our Season 12 ending post, we wanted to make sure we had a lot more clarity around what rewards you can expect in Seasons going forward. Season 13 will be kicking off in a few weeks (currently targeting the last week of July), so let’s talk a bit about some of our thoughts on PvP going forward, including upcoming changes and rewards!

PvP Rewards
Longer term, we’re looking at the season and reward structure for PvP to make sure they fulfill our guiding principles: meaningful rewards for meaningful effort, and a compelling reason to play each new season. In the short term, this means trying some new things to see if we can create more healthy queues and a better playing environment. For Season 13, we want to increase the overall rewards earned from playing, and more specifically winning, PvP (especially ranked) matches. There are quite a few changes coming in patch 6.1.2b this week to move towards that goal. Here goes:

Spoiler

Note: In the update kicking off Season 13, all missions will be changed to require wins for completion and rewards.

Requiring wins for mission completion allows us to increase the quality and quantity of rewards, in addition to lowering any incentive to play poorly or farm gear and materials via losses. The goal is to increase the overall quality of matches.

The TL;DR: of all of these changes are you should expect to see an increase in rewards for winning matches, anywhere from 2x to 4x Tech Fragments and Embers, especially if you are disassembling the additional mod and gear rewards.

There are quite a few changes coming to PvP match rewards in Season 13 - let us know your thoughts!

Season 13 Rewards, Replicas, and Beyond
When we moved to bringing back prior Season (Replica) rewards, we did this to help supplement existing Seasonal rewards. In general, we weren’t distributing as many larger, unique rewards as we did previously and so we wanted to make sure there was a larger quantity to choose from. There was also certainly a desire to be able to earn those retired rewards. We know there was friction around the ending of Season 12 and lack of clarity around the Season 3 Replicas. Our plan is to get the rest of the replicas to you in a quicker manner than we have so far, but also to resolve some of the bigger concerns around Seasonal rewards.

Season 13’s unique reward will be a brand new armor set in addition to all of the standard Seasonal rewards, such as the Seasonal Titles, Flairs, Frames, and Battle Flags. Stay tuned to our next livestream or the Season 13 launch article for a sneak peek at the armor set.

Also, throughout the course of Season 13 and into the start of Season 14, we are going to bring out all of the remaining replicas. No more waiting for one to come back each Season! Stay tuned for a future update on exactly when you can expect each drop, starting later this Summer. It is not intended that they return in a sequential order, so we want to be clear in what order they will drop:
  1. Predacious Weapon Set (Season 6) and Commanding Weapon Set (Season 8)
    50,000 pvp tokens for each Weapon Set
  2. Gladiator Weapon Set (Season 5) and Giradda’s Acklay Mount (Season 7)
    50,000 for the weapon set, 200,000 for the mount
  3. Furious Armor and Weapon Sets (Season 3)
    100,000 each for the armor sets (there are 4), 50,000 for the Weapon Set

Reminder that Replica rewards do not use unique currency for purchase so you can start saving now! As mentioned above, replicas were meant as a supplement to Seasonal rewards as we were no longer doing our bigger PvP rewards. The underlying reason that we are moving the replicas out at a quicker pace is that we want to return to doing exactly that! Here is what that means. Sometime (at least a few months) after the Replica Furious Armor set returns, we are going to completely retire the replica rewards from the vendor going forward. We want to make sure we give everyone ample notice, and ample time to get all of the rewards that they want. At that point, it is our intention to move back to higher quality PvP rewards than we have been giving you recently. To be frank, we want to make new, unique PvP prestige rewards worth battling over! This is many months away,so there aren’t a ton of specifics to share yet, but just know that our intention is that PvP should be a fun, fair place to battle it out, and one where you are properly rewarded for those efforts! We will share more when we get closer.

And there it is! Big changes to the rewards you can expect from PvP, details on what rewards you can expect in S13 (images to follow with the Season start), and a roadmap on the remaining replicas. We hope this adds clarity to PvP Seasonal rewards going forward! Stay tuned for more updates, and thanks for making it through the post of many words!

-Chris "BioChris" Schmidt, Lead Designer

septru
07.14.2020 , 11:02 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisSchmidt View Post
To be frank, we want to make new, unique PvP prestige rewards worth battling over!
Please make sure, then, to make these *unique* PvP rewards unique. Don't add reskins to the CM market as you typically have done in the past.

Also, none of the changes to s13 really help group ranked specifically. Yes there is a lot of overall help to pvp, but group ranked specifically needs special help. If it isn't incentivized more than solo ranked no one will play it because finding a team these days is just too damn difficult. TBH to really revive group ranked you need to do more, maybe by increasing the matts by 1.5x in group ranked compared to solo ranked or decreasing the win requirement for group ranked.
-Prum
The only real top 3 operative btw

RikuvonDrake
07.14.2020 , 11:05 AM | #3
liked, followed and subscribed

edit: here are some preview links

Predacious Weapon Set (Season 6) and Commanding Weapon Set (Season 8)

Gladiator Weapon Set (Season 5) and Giradda’s Acklay Mount (Season 7)

Furious Armor and Weapon Sets (Season 3)

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

JediMasterAlex
07.14.2020 , 11:10 AM | #4
Yeah, great post. Keep up the good work, and I hope the wintrading investigations and punishments go smoothly

avenger_online
07.14.2020 , 11:17 AM | #5
Will we get legacy tokens?

avenger_online
07.14.2020 , 11:20 AM | #6
You guys also wrote 50 000 for the furious weapon set, is that all the weapons or like s10 replicas where you buy the weapons individually?

Diefexor
07.14.2020 , 11:26 AM | #7
Will there be another balance pass?

Hatred sin and dps Juggs could use some help in the survivability dept.

Raansu
07.14.2020 , 11:30 AM | #8
Great for ranked, but us regstar plebs would like unranked pvp to be a viable way to get gear/techfrags as well. The daily and weekly are a complete joke. Why does the GSF weekly give 700 frags compared to pvp's 125? PvP's daily is only 25 frags....like come on. I wanna earn tech frags through pvp. I don't want to run daily FP's to be able to earn tech frags at a decent pace to gear my alts.

Evolixe
07.14.2020 , 11:48 AM | #9
Looks like a good start, Chris!

I'm curious to see how these changes will reflect in game.

One little thing though;
  • Warzone Medpacs and Adrenals have been added to PvP Missions.
I see that you're also removing them from boxes.. but I think most of us are already drowning in these at this point

Like in 2 months I think I gathered enough to accommodate me for the amount I've used between the here and now and the time I started playing the game in late '12

I think it's good if the missions reward you with roughly as many as one could be expected to use over the average of the games require to obtain them. But with the amount of them going around right now it might as well not be consumed on use as a quality of life thing. Because nobody that played PvP regularly since these things started dropping from crates is ever going to need any refills anymore unless they have been deleting them
Evolixe | Exilove
Darth Malgus
Watch me live on Twitch

phalczen
07.14.2020 , 11:53 AM | #10
Note: In the update kicking off Season 13, all missions will be changed to require wins for completion and rewards.

Requiring wins for mission completion allows us to increase the quality and quantity of rewards, in addition to lowering any incentive to play poorly or farm gear and materials via losses. The goal is to increase the overall quality of matches.

-Chris "BioChris" Schmidt, Lead Designer

Is the win requirement going to be only for ranked-related pvp missions, or for all pvp missions including unranked and GSF?

Can you look into including any of these reward updates to the Gree event pvp dailies?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.