Sith warrior story fail, Malavai Quinn

Lassiec

Quinn has no reason to rat you out to Arcann. He had to choose between betraying Baras or betraying the PC, and he decided to betray the PC. Unless we find out he's been a faithful servant of Arcann all these years (and I highly doubt it, considering how patriotic he is towards the Empire), the situation is not similiar at all.

It could, of course, be written in a way that killing Quinn would make sense. For example, he could still be fighting for the Empire and accidentally target some ex-pubs who now work for the alliance. The player gets to kill him for his betrayal all those years ago, and the PC has the justification of revenging his men.

Not that I care if there's an option to kill him or not. No way in hell I would ever kill Quinn. :p

My SW liked and respected Quinn a lot, so when the betrayal happened it was a vibroknife into his chest. So I RP's my SW killed Quinn. Because my SW will forgive a lot, failure, weakness, cowardice even... but treachery. No. That is punishable by death.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my female Marauder who married Quinn, well, let's just say she was a little rough with him afterwards, and now he wears an eye patch since that point in the story. There's way's to get your point across without killing him outright.

And I usually like Quinn, although after running with other comps for a while, I went back and played with him on a Warrior (I have 3 Warriors, female Mara and a pair of male Juggs), Quinn sounded very snotty.

If I decided to play through on a different character, maybe I'd actually use some of that cybernetic/cyborg armor from the CM, would be a fun little bit of roleplay.

I have five Sith Warriors, 4 female and 1 male, on my main server and female sith warriors all over on other servers. I love Quinn and from my personal perspective, the betrayal happened back in early 2012, and we're in mid 2016. It affected me hard the first time, but now? Meh. I just RP around it. What's done is done. When he comes back in KotFE, I'm not going to torture, main, cuss, or kill him. It's been 4 years for me as the player and like 7-8 years for my Warrior who married him, forgave him, let him back into her bed, had a kid with him (via legacy tree) and all the other 'you're forgiven, now shut up and rub my feet'.

To kill him in KotFE for something he did in Vanilla does seem petty to me. You don't have to like him, but killing him cause he betrayed you. ****, if that happened there'd be no people left in places I lived for the slights they've brought on to me. I see it as, if you do it in game by being petty, you'd do it or something similar in real life.

Game or not, some things need to be let go.

I looked at it from two perspectives.

1.) Realistically even my DSIII warrior would have killed Quinn. Whether Quinn really wanted to betray me or not, he still at least put on a show because he was actually working for my enemy the whole time. How much vital intelligence did Quinn feed Baras? How much could he potentially feed to somebody else who had more to offer than Baras or the Warrior at any given time?

The game won't allow me to make that choice, though, so I went with dialogue options that were the most in character given the circumstance, and it still wasn't as bad as the BH getting stuck with Gault or Skadge when trying for an archetypal playthrough. So I force choked him, threatened bodily harm if it ever happened again, and...I guess essentially forgave him.

2.) This forces you to "justify" an out of character reaction. Again, easier with the warrior than, say, the bounty hunter and Gault. If you completed Quinn's companion story arc he really is an invaluable resource. He probably isn't completely impossible to replace, but it would definitely be difficult. Right now, he's far more valuable alive than dead. Look how loyal he was to Baras, whom he owed his career to. Now he owes the warrior not only his career, but is life.

If you have completed Quinn's story and still don't see how he's probably fairly irreplaceable any time soon then I don't know what to tell you. Traitor or not, he's an incredibly valuable asset and the warrior could easily justify even trusting him again based on Quinn's tendency to remain loyal to those who directly benefit his livelihood, career, and reputation, and the only ones who have earned that loyalty are Baras and then the warrior.

My warrior attacked Quinn in a fit of rage after destroying his pathetic droids. Quinn is painfully aware of the warrior's resources and that there is nowhere Quinn could escape to if he failed again, and understands quite well that he cannot defeat the warrior without first cultivating alliances and relationships that would not simply fly under the Warrior's (and his crew) nose unnoticed. He's probably being watched very closely. When he asked my warrior if he planned on telling the crew, my warrior told him that yes, he will eventually tell them. By now he's probably being very closely watched by everyone else.

That puts him not only on the warrior's naughty list, but Jaesa's. Oh god. She hunts "rogue" sith. She kills them. I don't think Quinn could hide from her if the warrior permitted her to punish him.

While we all play our characters as we like, and loldarkside is super fun, the story is written with a loose archetype in mind. You don't get as far as the warrior did by being a bumbling, impulsive fool with the self control of a small budding sociopathic child. The kind of person who makes it as far as the warrior does in the Empire is probably capable of recognizing the continued value in a traitor like Quinn far outweighing the satisfaction of killing him.

If you decide to just go alone to the ship with Malavai rather than have another companion tag along its a little more believable that you'd let him live. Other than the Warrior, no one else is aware of his betrayal. Because of his skills, he is still useful.

I think this has a lot to do with my perspective on it. Every time I did it I went with Quinn as my active companion. Nobody else knows about it as far as I can tell. Letting him live was a little out of character, I think, but not jarringly so, and it's easy enough to rationalize and justify.

Edited by eldefail

I just finished the vanilla story on my second SW, and took the romance options with Quinn this time around. Of all the romanceable companions, he is the most passionate. He is passionate about the empire, passionate with the SW and at the time of his betrayal, passionate about his debt to Baras. I would not kill him even if I was allowed to, there are better ways to have him atone for his betrayal.

It has a lot to do with head canon and my head can come up with a lot of canon where this fellow is concerned.

• 4 years later...

Bump. All these years later.

I cannot believe I am unable to kill Malavai Quinn after he openly betrays me and tries to kill me. A perturbing lack of choice. I am a new player btw.

I cannot believe I am unable to kill Malavai Quinn after he openly betrays me and tries to kill me. A perturbing lack of choice. I am a new player btw.

You can, but much, much later in the story. It's still slightly lame that you can't do it at that time, but at least there's a way.

>:C

I always end up forgiving and marrying the boy, he's just too good-looking and smart to kill. Plus, he really has great manners when not stabbing you in the back! Perfect husband material :D

Edited by Ylliarus

>:C

I always end up forgiving and marrying the boy, he's just too good-looking and smart to kill. Plus, he really has great manners when not stabbing you in the back! Perfect husband material :D

Would be even better if he was also a romance option for male SW

I know, right? I am still waiting for that as well :(

Same. He doesn't suit my female SW, but i have a male one that would be perfect with him

Wouldn't they be cute together ?

Well, they opened DSJaesa, Kira, Nadia, Elara and Vector as SGR for the previously straight romances, we can hope they'll do it for Quinn as well

Edited by Goreshaga

Same. He doesn't suit my female SW, but i have a male one that would be perfect with him

Wouldn't they be cute together ?

Well, they opened DSJaesa, Kira, Nadia, Elara and Vector as SGR for the previously straight romances, we can hope they'll do it for Quinn as well

Love the picture! I agree they'd be a perfect fit :D

And yes, let's hope so! At least we know Charles Boyd is aware of people wanting it :)

Love the picture! I agree they'd be a perfect fit :D

And yes, let's hope so! At least we know Charles Boyd is aware of people wanting it :)

Thanks ^^

I guessed that if i could not romance him, at least i could have tons on screenshots of them together :D

Let's hope he's the next one to be added then.

Thanks ^^

I guessed that if i could not romance him, at least i could have tons on screenshots of them together :D

Let's hope he's the next one to be added then.

Maybe Malavai will become a little bit more relevant to the story again, now that Impside you can rejoin the Empire as the Hand :)

There was an option to kill him at one point, but it was removed from (iirc) the third closed beta or first open beta version of the game.

At that time, and for some time after the release of the game, you only got your 5 storyline companions plus the ship droid, and the storyline companions were each limited to a specific role (melee tank, ranged tank, melee DPS, ranged DPS and healer). Quinn was the Warrior's healer; and while the ship droid could be used as a healer, the fact it could not equip a weapon effectively gimped those Warriors who chose to kill him for his betrayal.

Instead of saying "you made a choice, and choices in this game have consequences", BW opted to appease the kids who didn't want to accept the consequences of their own choices, and removed the option to kill him.

Now that you can have any companion fulfill any role, returning the option to kill him would make sense. The current volume and flexibility of companions mean there would be no consequences to that action. But I assume the animations and assets for that scene have been removed, and would need to be rewritten from scratch. Because if it was just a matter of re-enabling deactivated assets it would probably be a popular option.

Edited by Erevan_Kindelar

Maybe Malavai will become a little bit more relevant to the story again, now that Impside you can rejoin the Empire as the Hand :)

Hope he'll be relevant again, but he turned against Acina when my Warrior sided with the Republic on Iokath and asked to join the Alliance, so i hope he'll be relevant also for Warriors who chose the Republic, because i clearly don't want to have to kill him. :(

Now that you can have any companion fulfill any role, returning the option to kill him would make sense. The current volume and flexibility of companions mean there would be no consequences to that action. But I assume the animations and assets for that scene have been removed, and would need to be rewritten from scratch. Because if it was just a matter of re-enabling deactivated assets it would probably be a popular option.

Thing is, he is part of the Iokath storyline for all characters, so giving back the option to kill him after the Quinncident woud require to rework Iokath as well at least for Warriors who killed him

Edited by Goreshaga

• 4 weeks later...

I hope so too!! I really wish we will get a bit more content with him or at least emails or something. I love his mails! :p