Point of Ilum?

ComeAndSee

What exactly is the point of Ilum? Every time I go there is never any PvP because everyone is just there to finish their quests and leave. Usually I just group up with somebody from other faction and go to the middle and take turns blowing up each others tanks.

This is because compared to the 1,000,000+ accounts created, such a small minority of them have hit level 50. Then those 50s are in Warzones, helping guildies, doing flashpoints, crafting, etc. Doesn't leave a lot of people left over to go to Ilum. Leave it some time and when a lot more people are level 50 a lot more people will be able to visit.

Give it some actual time, we're talking at least a month, ideally more for the majority of accounts that are around now to actually hit 50 and then you will see a more populated Ilum.

Asking these questions 2 weeks into the game when not a lot of people are 50 is like asking why you can't find intellectual debate at a creche. The answer is because there's a lot of babies there and only a couple of adults. You have to wait until they grow up.

Edited by Zetara

This is because compared to the 1,000,000+ accounts created, such a small minority of them have hit level 50. Then those 50s are in Warzones, helping guildies, doing flashpoints, crafting, etc. Doesn't leave a lot of people left over to go to Ilum. Leave it some time and when a lot more people are level 50 a lot more people will be able to visit.

Give it some actual time, we're talking at least a month, ideally more for the majority of accounts that are around now to actually hit 50 and then you will see a more populated Ilum.

Asking these questions 2 weeks into the game when not a lot of people are 50 is like asking why you can't find intellectual debate at a creche. The answer is because there's a lot of babies there and only a couple of adults. You have to wait until they grow up.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything. The zone's design discourages PvP.

This doesn't have anything to do with anything. The zone's design discourages PvP.

PVP can take place with 2 people stood in a square room. If there are people around in an open world environment, PVP occurs. What you are seing right now is not a lot of 50s going and doing other stuff becuse there isn't really a population big enough to do anything meaningful with that planet. In time there will be.

Wait until there are hundreds of 50s all stood around on Ilum, I guarantee you there will be fireworks. This is common sense.

Wait until there are hundreds of 50s all stood around on Ilum, I guarantee you there will be fireworks. This is common sense.

Why? It's not that the PvP is meaningless, it's that it's actually counter-productive.

People are gonna go there for 3 minutes a day and get their daily done, nothing else.

Why? It's not that the PvP is meaningless, it's that it's actually counter-productive.

People are gonna go there for 3 minutes a day and get their daily done, nothing else.

That's their own problem. The point of open world PVP is when you see someone on the other side, you kill them.

Ilum is another place where that can happen. So at 50 you would expect to see alliances o guilds forming as is typical in MMOs and inhabit areas of the planet where it will become a PVP hub and these groups will travel to each other and clash resulting in open world PVP battles. The 'objectives' or 'design' will be largely ignored in favour of bragging rights and pvp battles between opposing factions and clans trying to be the best.

Right now, you have people halfway through the story and common sense dictates that 2 weeks into the game this is quite obviously not going to be happening yet. What you have is the people who speed levelled to 50 wondering why there isn't anything to do, because they have yet to be joined by the masses who will join them in PVP.

That's their own problem. The point of open world PVP is when you see someone on the other side, you kill them.

Actually it's our problem, these are the people we need to be there so that there are enough people to kill and Bioware have failed to make them want or need to stay.

Actually it's our problem, these are the people we need to be there so that there are enough people to kill and Bioware have failed to make them want or need to stay.

No, that's just people being impatient. Enough people haven't reached 50 yet. You need to wait at least a month, maybe 2 for enough people to reach 50. Bioware haven't failed to make anybody want or need to stay, you're seeing a few QQ threads because some people sprinted to the finish line and wondered why it was a bit quiet when everybody else was taking their time, and then 1,000,000 accounts that are currently playing the game. Can't you see how insignificant the amount of people making these threads are? It might seem like a lot, but in reality it's absolutely nothing compared to the player base hapily playing the game.

Give it a realistic amount of time, and you will see it. It's common sense which a lot of people seem to lack these days, too impatient.

Edited by Zetara

Why fight if you can get much more rewards by working together? Common sense...

Then those people are not PVPers. PVP is PVP, PVP is not working together with the opposite faction.I have 4 chars at the moment 1 at level 35, one at 25 and 2 in the teens because I am playing all classes and a republic char, when I hit 50 I will be PVPing. I won't be carebearing with members of the opposite faction to take objectives because that is not PVP and anybody doing this cannot claim to be a PVPer. I will be killing opposite faction players, such is PVP. If I wanted objectives I'd play a WZ and even then with my own team and not the opposite team.

I will bet you actual money, and give you 3 to 1 odds that within 2 months the population of Ilum expands dramatically and open world battles take place.

Talk about common sense.

Take 10 people and ask them to have a little stick fight, wow that looks boring.

Add in another 100 people and now ask them to have a stick fight, wow omg look at the big battle!!!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt in game, after game, after game. It will happen, it is natural.

Edited by Zetara

This.

The only place the argument "its the players fault" works is in sandbox games, or games with RvR systems like DAOC.

The entire point of Illum is to draw people in for meaningful server based objective PvP.

If it fails to do so (no experience myself) that is a Developer problem.

Then those people are not PVPers. PVP is PVP, PVP is not working together with the opposite faction.I have 4 chars at the moment 1 at level 35, one at 25 and 2 in the teens because I am playing all classes and a republic char, when I hit 50 I will be PVPing. I won't be carebearing with members of the opposite faction to take objectives because that is not PVP and anybody doing this cannot claim to be a PVPer. I will be killing opposite faction players, such is PVP. If I wanted objectives I'd play a WZ and even then with my own team and not the opposite team.

I will bet you actual money, and give you 3 to 1 odds that within 2 months the population of Ilum expands dramatically and open world battles take place.

Talk about common sense.

Take 10 people and ask them to have a little stick fight, wow that looks boring.

Add in another 100 people and now ask them to have a stick fight, wow omg look at the big battle!!!

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt in game, after game, after game. It will happen, it is natural.

At the moment we are at the 10 people stick fighting stage except the 10 people aren't stick fighting, they're trading objectives because it's apparently profitable than fighting. Maybe 100 people might make a difference but then again given that people who are trying to stop the trading are getting verbally abused by the traders it looks like there will be strong opposition to actually doing what's intended with the zone. The mechanic is not fit for purpose. Maybe there will be some "true pvpers" and some combat will happen but it's going to be less than it should be. Out of prime time hours you will get objective swapping.

Whether people can be called true pvpers or not is irrelevant. Expecting players to behave in a different way is a solution that won't happen. You can't get the players to do it differently. The only way to do that is make it so they can't trade and that's Biowares job.

Edited by Jargonaut