Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Artificing - The utterly useless skill

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Artificing - The utterly useless skill

Morkatog
12.31.2011 , 05:15 AM | #1
I know there are other topics about this, nonetheless I wanted to offer a structured post on my thoughts on artificing, and why it needs drastic patching:

While lvling:
Every single planet offers blue quality mods for all your modable slots, and you can upgrade them every 4 levels.
If you want to match this (since you can't beat it) your only choice is to create a truckload of items, disasemble them until you get the blue formulas, and then stick to those, or repeat the process until you get the epic formula.
The chances of getting these formulas is slim at best, I'd say no more then 10% tops.

As a result you're stuck wasting valuable time and valuable credits. Not only will you outlevel whatever it is your trying to craft, but also you will drain your credits so severely that you might not be able to afford your (flying) skills.

At lvl 50:
- Why you don't need to bother with hilts and armour slots in your modable gear:
The first thing anyone should, and will do once they hit lvl 50 is farm the crap out of Ilum.
You will get grade 23 epic items (vs 22 epic at best from artificing) which will fill up your hilt (etc.) and armour slots from all your gear. Already after the first day you can grab 2 of these items, so in a few days you have filled all your armour slots in your modable gear.
That pretty much means whichever profession can craft items for those slots had better not waste time on it.

- As for the epic enhancement slot, colour crystals and offhand slots:
For the offhand slots it's a lot cheaper to farm hardmodes etc. to get equal gear or better, compared to spending a few hunredthousand credits on getting a single epic formula.
The enhancement slot I haven't been able to find a replacement for, but having already reverse engineered at least 20 blue grade enhancement items without finding an epic formula, this is beginning to look like yet another credit drain of which I wonder if it's going to be worth it.
As for the colour crystals, it's great that at least we can make blue quality gems without having to discover the formula, but it would be nicer if there was more diversity in stats, for example willpower, power, and strength.

I'm curious to hear the ideas / feelings from other people on this.

AsheraII
12.31.2011 , 05:30 AM | #2
-The foci, shields and generators I make far outperform the very rare mission reward. EVEN the green basic foci, shields and generators are generally better. Foci, shields and Generators are actually the most important pieces made by Artificing, not the Lightsaber mods.
-It's not unheard of for people to outlevel the content they do by 1 or 2 levels, so what they get from Artificing will always be better than what they get from missions or vendors on their current planet.
-Artificing, as in, making things yourself, is simply more fun.
-Not everybody cares for the lvl 50 gear. There are pleny people who'd rather reroll after finishing their class arc than start the raid-grind.

But as I said: the Foci, shields and generators are the important Artificing blueprints. The only flaw they have, is that there are NO basic blueprints for Jedi Shadow / Sith Assassin Tank shields (Endurance/Willpower/Shield/Absorption instead of Endurance/Strength/Shield/Absorption, which are Guardian/Juggernaut Shields instead)
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

timowade
12.31.2011 , 05:33 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
-The foci, shields and generators I make far outperform the very rare mission reward. EVEN the green basic foci, shields and generators are generally better. Foci, shields and Generators are actually the most important pieces made by Artificing, not the Lightsaber mods.
-It's not unheard of for people to outlevel the content they do by 1 or 2 levels, so what they get from Artificing will always be better than what they get from missions or vendors on their current planet.
-Not everybody cares for the lvl 50 gear. There are pleny people who'd rather reroll after finishing their class arc than start the raid-grind.

But as I said: the Foci, shields and generators are the important Artificing blueprints. The only flaw they have, is that there are NO basic blueprints for Jedi Shadow / Sith Assassin Tank shields (Endurance/Willpower/Shield/Absorption instead of Endurance/Strength/Shield/Absorption, which are Guardian/Juggernaut Shields instead)
i agree here, when at 50 i will reroll, hopefully after ive done this a few times the bug fixing will be done and new content will arrive
Tis not what they can do for you,
Tis only what you can do for all...

OmegaAI
12.31.2011 , 05:35 AM | #4
I got extremely lucky a few days ago and went from 2 green recipes to 2 purple recipes in about 5 REs. I guess those babies will make me some money on the AH once I start mass-production
Sadly, Artifice is just as useless as all the other crafting professions. They all have the same problem (maybe with the exception of Biochem), they are huge money sinks until you have purple recipes.
Ctrl + Alt + Bingo

ademnus
12.31.2011 , 05:44 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by OmegaAI View Post
I got extremely lucky a few days ago and went from 2 green recipes to 2 purple recipes in about 5 REs. I guess those babies will make me some money on the AH once I start mass-production
Sadly, Artifice is just as useless as all the other crafting professions. They all have the same problem (maybe with the exception of Biochem), they are huge money sinks until you have purple recipes.
dont count on those epics flying off the GTN
translation
Will the owner of a gray Death Star please move your non-moon planet-killing spacestation? You're blocking a fire hydrant.

Morkatog
12.31.2011 , 05:52 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post

Interesting points you make there about the focus items etc. I guess I'll start to focus on those formuli more soon as well. However that doesn't mean that the other items need to be as useless as they are at the moment.

I have to disagree however about outlvling the mods you get. Personally I still consider it quite an effort to get enough blue quality items from artificing while lvling. Even 2 lvls lower the blue mods from commendations are stronger then the green ones from artificing 2 lvls higher.

As for starting a new character. I have to admit that I can't wait to start a sith warrior alt (I'm a lvl 50 inquisitor atm). However I want to wait until legacy becomes available in a patch to see what that will add to the experience of creating an alt, as it is what it's been created for in the first place.