Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

August & September PvP Report

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
August & September PvP Report
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MikeBradley
09.25.2019 , 01:43 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  

Hey All,

As the team continues to be heads down on 6.0 work, and I didnt have much to report on at the end of August, here is a summary of actions weve taken over the last month and a half:

Throughout August and September so far, weve punished 2 accounts for win trading, cheating, or exploiting in PvP. One has been suspended, one has been banned, both have had their ratings reset on all characters.

Why so Few?

Given that this is by far the fewest number of punishments weve administered during any month this season, I feel like it might be worth sharing some of the thoughts that we (and I imagine some of you might) have about it.

• Players are still cheating and win trading, just less obviously, and maybe in different ways that our methods of detection havent entirely caught up to yet
  • Weve been able to gather better, more comprehensive evidence of cheating behavior with the new email for reporting
  • Perhaps fewer players are cheating, exploiting, or win trading in PvP as a result of our actions and messaging

To be honest, I think these is some truth to each of these statements and that some combination of them can be attributed to the lower number of cheaters that we have punished recently. We know this will always be an evolving struggle (cheaters find new way to cheat, we adapt to catch them, they adapt to continue cheating, etc.), but we have seen signs of progress throughout this season. Were hoping to build on that progress with additional systemic deterrents and other improvements in the coming months.

Concerns about Vote Kicking

Ive seen a couple posts expressing concern about vote kicking being used to exploit, abuse, or harass other players in PvP. As Im a data-driven fellow, Ill get with our analytics team and see if we can get enough data points to analyze present vote kicking behavior, compare it to historical trends, see if there has been an increase, look at the cases where we feel like it is being used exploitatively, and try to come up with ideas for how to discourage that. This will take some time, but I will report back as soon as we have any learnings or changes on this front that we can share.

Season 11 Summary

As I mentioned in the last report, season 11 will be ending with 6.0 on October 22nd. This season started in March, so by the end it will have lasted about 8 months in total. Some of you may have seen Dans Web Content Roadmap over on the General Discussion Forums, what articles have already been published, and which ones are upcoming. Look for an article early next week summarizing the season 11 rating breakdown, the rewards, and more about the upcoming season transition.

My next report will most likely align with when we distribute top 96 rewards towards the end of October/beginning of November. I will put together a summary of the actions weve taken throughout the season once weve investigated and finalized the top 96, as that will be our last action of this season. With any luck, I might also be able to share some extra details on upcoming changes at that point, so stay tuned.

Until next time

Mike Bradley | Associate Producer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

benmas
09.25.2019 , 02:12 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeBradley View Post

Hey All,
This season started in March, so by the end it will have lasted about 8 months in total.
Until next time

here lies
3-6 month seasons
2019-2019

"can't believe you fell for this"
Waythuk

The Red Eclipse-->Darth Malgus

omaan
09.25.2019 , 02:14 PM | #3

Concerns about Vote Kicking

Ive seen a couple posts expressing concern about vote kicking being used to exploit, abuse, or harass other players in PvP. As Im a data-driven fellow, Ill get with our analytics team and see if we can get enough data points to analyze present vote kicking behavior, compare it to historical trends, see if there has been an increase, look at the cases where we feel like it is being used exploitatively, and try to come up with ideas for how to discourage that. This will take some time, but I will report back as soon as we have any learnings or changes on this front that we can share.

i alone sent you 6 videos of vote kick being CLEARLY abused for no reason for it... how many more evidence you need? Pls deal with first round quiters in solo ranked who ruin fights and vote kick abusers since they are causing same problems as wintraders.

omaan
09.25.2019 , 02:30 PM | #4

H

Season 11 Summary

As I mentioned in the last report, season 11 will be ending with 6.0 on October 22nd. This season started in March, so by the end it will have lasted about 8 months in total. Some of you may have seen Dans Web Content Roadmap over on the General Discussion Forums, what articles have already been published, and which ones are upcoming. Look for an article early next week summarizing the season 11 rating breakdown, the rewards, and more about the upcoming season transition.

My next report will most likely align with when we distribute top 96 rewards towards the end of October/beginning of November. I will put together a summary of the actions weve taken throughout the season once weve investigated and finalized the top 96, as that will be our last action of this season. With any luck, I might also be able to share some extra details on upcoming changes at that point, so stay tuned.

Until next time

Is there a chance 6.0. will be Delayed which results in delaying end of season 11 too? That might take tonnes of time to end the season to be honest....

JediMasterAlex
09.25.2019 , 03:25 PM | #5

Just a reminder to pay close attention to the last few days, and particularly the very last night of the season. That's when a lot of the wintrading for top 3 spots happens.

And thank you for finally resetting a certain formerly top 3 jugg from Star Forge that I had been mentioning for months. One more wintrading loser gone from the game.

Delani
09.25.2019 , 03:49 PM | #6
Change the way you distribute top 96. For the majority of this season, group reanked has not been active and has 1/8th of the participants solo ranked has.

Change top 96 distribution and add another tier so that group ranked individuals who are less than 1500 rating are not recieving top 3 rewards or reward top 4 participants in solo ranked and top 2 in group ranked to make up for the population disparity.

Delani
09.25.2019 , 03:53 PM | #7
Also, a way to shut down cheating all together is to disincentivize the reasson why they are cheating. Which is the reward itself, make it so that people feel they no longer have to cheat because the reward is more attainable. Lets be honest, this games ranked population is small and ver small compared to some of the other competetive games out there like Fortnite, WoW or League of legends so many people who try to q ranked are usually facing the same people anyway. Therefore the reward in itself does not have an appropiate representation of skill but rarity. Make the rewards less rare and it will shut down cheating all together.

Not only that, the general pvper community will be more inclined to q ranked if they beleive the reward is worthwhile. By making the rewards more accessible it creates greater incentive to even partake in ranked and deal with the toxicity that comes with it. Bigger population results in less chances to manipulate matchmaking, a better and more sufficient elo system ( due to more bodies in the q), and less players complaining about low skilled players being on their team because they will have their own bracket to play against one another.

We as a community are attacking this from the wrong angle, we need to focus on getting more people into ranked instead of stopping cheating because cheating is inevitable. One way of doing so is by altering and changing the distribution of rewards.

omaan
09.25.2019 , 04:21 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Delani View Post
Change the way you distribute top 96. For the majority of this season, group reanked has not been active and has 1/8th of the participants solo ranked has.

Change top 96 distribution and add another tier so that group ranked individuals who are less than 1500 rating are not recieving top 3 rewards or reward top 4 participants in solo ranked and top 2 in group ranked to make up for the population disparity.
90% of all team ranked participants just wintraded their top 96 and gold spots by paying/asking friends,guild mates or even randoms to queue and loose against them. I personally know 6 of such players on DM server. Those who has less than 60 wins in team ranked should get no rewards at all

Delani
09.25.2019 , 04:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
90% of all team ranked participants just wintraded their top 96 and gold spots by paying/asking friends,guild mates or even randoms to queue and loose against them. I personally know 6 of such players on DM server. Those who has less than 60 wins in team ranked should get no rewards at all
I dont mind them recieving gold rewards but its not fair for them to recieve top 3 rewards because of the reasons you listed above.

I think changing the disparity to 4-2 or even 5-1 would make up for the disparity to be honest. Or for this season alone, add another tier for top 96 so that group ranked players have to q again lol

Lhancelot
09.25.2019 , 04:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Sounds like a points system based on number of wins is needed. Remove ELO, just keep track of wins and you will have people queuing non-stop for ranked. Make it so a certain number of wins is needed for rewards.

This would encourage participation. This would also create a scoring system that would be impossible to manipulate with losses.

Also, tracking match throwers would be easier because more matches would need to be won for players to place high on the list of all participants.

I'd suggest adding a "Most Wins" category to replace the irrelevant top 3 best of the best classes seeing how every single one of these are cheated for and truly indicate nothing in regards to who is actually the best of the best.

ELO is what causes all of the cheating, match drops, win trades, and all the other poor behaviors witnessed in ranked, especially towards the end of each season when the cheaters come out in full force.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.