What happened to SWTOR? Some insight by Jeff Nyman (game tester)

Lhancelot

I find it weird that Star Wars in general always a hard time with games. The IP's track history, with a few exceptions, always had rocky times. You would think with the plethora of source material ranging from canon, EU/Legends, and Disney that it would produce "GOLD" but sadly it doesn't. Companies always seem to be either out of touch with the lore or out of touch with the fans. Companies want to make money. Investors want their return as fast as possible. This supersedes everything else. Will we ever get a good Star Wars game? Is it so hard? If it were any other franchise and done by a start up/independent company, I'd say there's a good chance. However, this is the hand we're dealt.

Said it before, say it again. The SW fanbase is huge and diverse. Everyone can find something unique about it that draws them to it, because the world is huge and appealing. As such, it causes a wide range of opinions about everything related to its unwritten history and future. This is a huge reason yhat you can take Episode 8 discussions from one end of the spectrum to the other. Anything involving SW since the original 3 will be met with a variety of different expectations, and will always be an impossible task of satisfying everyone thats remotely interested. You even said it yourself - everything thats been touched with SW has had hard times meeting its potential for success.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to a chance to read this yesterday and re-read some more of it this morning. It puts a lot of things into perspective, a lot...

Bottom line: They knew very little about what it takes to develop an mmo. All of this is water under the bridge at this point though. If they want this game to flourish they need to listen to their customer base, which it appears they're finally doing indicated by their responses on the PTS forums.

I agree.

And I also think the loot system that everyone was freaking out about is them trying to get the "MMO" thing right, but not exactly certain on how to do it. So they are making their mistakes, but the GOOD thing is, they are willing to make them on the PTS, and then listen to and digest feedback from people testing, and adjust course, whereas in the past, they would have ignored it and gone full speed ahead with what the studio wants.

I agree.

And I also think the loot system that everyone was freaking out about is them trying to get the "MMO" thing right, but not exactly certain on how to do it. So they are making their mistakes, but the GOOD thing is, they are willing to make them on the PTS, and then listen to and digest feedback from people testing, and adjust course, whereas in the past, they would have ignored it and gone full speed ahead with what the studio wants.

Well, it would have been easier on them and the players if they actually learned from the past though, right? I mean why do players have to rage about the amount of RNG that's in the 6.0 gearing system?

The other part of 6.0 that worries me is when it gets coded in. I can't help it, but I really worry about the bugs that potentially will be unleashed with 6.0, seeing just how much stuff they are redoing again.

Not to start a different topic but seeing how rough it's been for them to add in new code on top of old code, well, I have some concerns about this.

So, not only is there cause to be concerned about the actual gameplay changes, there's the technical side of things, too. In this regard I feel for the devs having to try to fit in yet another piece of new code with what is already in the game.

If they could just take the good from past gearing systems and altered parts that were not so good, wouldn't that be easier than re-inventing the wheel so-to-speak? That's the mystifying part of their process for me anyway.

Just for (imo) an interesting read, anyone wondering how we ended up in this mess might find what Kryptonomic wrote months ago on the forums. Krypto was an actual game tester and even worked on SWTOR at one point. (TL ; DR)

A few things like individual job positions i didn't know about but the overall context i had already suspected years ago through various developers and a few tid bits here and there, i filled in the rest myself using my head in assuptions. so i'm not at all surprised there was some "internal problems" going on which is essentially what it boils down to in not so many words.

So as far as Krypto's comments are concerned? most of it is his opinion from his own point of view, there is no way to tell if it is truth or bias on his part, whatever the case the majority of the comments relate to what he thinks is going on which is different from what actually went on, so all we get is this view point and this view point alone.

Trouble is it isn't enough to confirm or deny anything without Bioware explaining themselves to get a balanced point of view and a former tester possibly with a chip on his shoulder could have a personal bias, who knows.

• Dev Post

Just because this gets raised on occasion I wanted to jump in to the thread. The individual you are referencing is not a current or former employee of EA or BioWare and so I would caution insinuation of any internal knowledge here.

Going to move the thread to off-topic. Thanks all.

-eric

Trouble is it isn't enough to confirm or deny anything without Bioware explaining themselves to get a balanced point of view and a former tester possibly with a chip on his shoulder could have a personal bias, who knows.

Exactly.

I remember when I was invited to work with an internal feedback group for DCUO, and they made us sign NDAs.

Then about a year later another "member" who I didn't recognize went on twitter and started writing loads about how terrible the devs were, how he had told them privately this and that, how they didn't listen, a bunch of internal stuff.

So I contacted the community manager and said, "hey, what's up? Did you know this guy is breaking the NDA by saying this and that and putting the company in a bad light?"

About a day later, he contacts me and says, "this guy is full of hot air. He's never worked with us, he's never been part of the internal testing staff, and he's never signed any kind of NDA."

Good writers can make their POV sound very believable, but that doesn't make it true.

Just because this gets raised on occasion I wanted to jump in to the thread. The individual you are referencing is not a current or former employee of EA or BioWare and so I would caution insinuation of any internal knowledge here.

-eric

That makes sense I was reading and most of it seems like opinion or from his point of view. None of it seems like actual insight.

Edited by commanderwar

Still, that’s no excuse for things like destroying perfectly good gearing systems (4.0) and adding arduous RNG.

This, exactly. It's good to see someone still remembers that this whole thing started to go wrong with 4.0

And let's not forget that this was the point at which the delightfully/infuriatingly unique companions were all lobotomised and turned into the blandly generic automatons that they are today, and also the point at which they began to lag far behind the character rather then keeping up, a problem which has still not been fixed to this day.

Well right. I think the evidence leans in the direction of communication not being very effective most of the time. One particular case of it that sticks out to me is the kotor 2 style jedi robes. The guy's name escapes me atm, but there was the guy who kept asking and asking and asking for the kotor 2 style jedi robes. Then I think finally, someone who attended a cantina brought it up to one of the named folks, like Charles Boyd or Ben Irving, and it wasn't immediate, but some time after that, we finally got a style close to it.

Alec Fortescue. That robe thing was an OCD mind-trip imo.

That makes sense I was reading and most of it seems like opinion or from his point of view. None of it seems like actual insight.

They have to make that disclaimer. Fact is, Eric and the rest could learn something from Krypto. As Lhance mentions, one's anger tends to cool when you drop all the BS posturing and just explain why things are the way they are. Then it actually makes sense instead of thinking the devs must be blind, irrational idiots given the decisions they've made over the years. He may not have been one of BW's, but he should have been.

-eric

That is an important clarification, since the framing of the blog makes it seem like he tested for SWTOR.

Thank you Eric.

It does seem like insight to me. The key is that there was a questionnaire circulating early in SWTORs development that hinted at the idea of having a character finish a story, and making a new one that continued the legacy of that character.

And honestly, its not like Eric or anyone else can confirm or deny anything without BioWare legal getting involved - we're never going to get answers from them.

However, based on the schizophrenic way the game unraveled after launch, combined with some items that really ring true in a lot of ways and seem to clarify a lot of points in very simple terms (not the crazy conspiracy theories players have conjured, but just good ole fashioned incompetency mixed with bad concepts and developmental laziness), which usually the most simple answer is the correct one in most cases.

I am not sure how he might have gotten this information, but if this is a fabrication, it is the best one I have ever seen, because usually fabrication and embellishment go hand in hand, and this was just so understated and matter of fact.

I won't say it paints a complete and total picture, and to his credit, if you read his post script, he says that no one should take his word as gospel, but rather as someone's point of view and how he sees it - he's not trying to sell anyone on anything.

All of that makes this feel very authentic. I have a feeling he may have talked to or known people who worked on SWTOR - none of which gives us the whole picture (which we'd never get anyway), but gives us enough snapshots to really get a handle on what is going on in the studio.

Given the state of things now, it really makes me appreciate Keith a ton more.

I agree.

Yeah.

Them altering the rng is a huge step in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with having some rng, it's part of the mmo genre, but it can't be the primary source of gearing. Had they released Onslaught without player feedback, the game probably would have folded within a year. No hyperbole on my end in regards to that either, I honestly think the game probably would have closed within a year. The interaction between Eric and others of late speaks volumes as to where this game could potentially go. I've been perusing these forums since Beta and not since then, has there been this much interaction, which bodes well.

People aren't asking for a vendor that automatically gives you 258 gear without work, but we also don't want to spend our currency hoping to get a rib-eye and end up with some mac 'n' cheese... We'll have to wait and see what happens, hopefully the choices they make, everyone will be happy with.

You need to ask yourself however, how likely is this information?

People can be anyone online, particluarly on a forum. Reading those posts, they seemed realistic and reasonable. It is opinion, was phrased that way, but just because Eric tell you he never worked for him/bioware doesn't change any accuracy of the statements. It just becomes a question of whether you believe it. So much information on the webs is opinionated, even on "fact" sites.

If it sounds right to you, ask yourself this... would bioware with all it's silence, really admit to anyone whistle blowing having credency? And likewise, if it doesn't sound right to you, Erics post gave you the clarfcation/assurance you needed.

I am inclined to believe this. It sounds right, it falls in line with a few things I've suspected, and if I was going to pour oil on a fire and lie, this isn't the direction I'de go. These posts merely outline some answers, they don't change or fan any flames like most propaganda does.

Edited by Seterade

People can be anyone online, particluarly on a forum. Reading those posts, they seemed realistic and reasonable. It is opinion, was phrased that way, but just because Eric tell you he never worked for him/bioware doesn't change any accuracy of the statements. It just becomes a question of whether you believe it. So much information on the webs is opinionated, even on "fact" sites.

If it sounds right to you, ask yourself this... would bioware with all it's silence, really admit to anyone whistle blowing having credency? And likewise, if it doesn't sound right to you, Erics post gave you the clarfcation/assurance you needed.

I am inclined to believe this. It sounds right, it falls in line with a few things I've suspected, and if I was going to pour oil on a fire and lie, this isn't the direction I'de go. These posts merely outline some answers, they don't change or fan any flames like most propaganda does.

I find it funky that with how sparsely Eric communicates, he found the time to look into employee records for some guy whose factual claims about the history of the game are extremely minimal and for the most part, is just extrapolating some stuff in a reasoned and speculative manner. Yet he couldn't take the time to address the actual concerns that cause people to believe this stuff and go looking for it in the first place?

Also, I looked at things in a bit more detail. The testerstories page has a "Who Am I" with a LinkedIn page link and a work history of testing. If the guy is not telling the truth, that's quite a lot of effort to go to, to make stuff up and not even link to a LinkedIn page that has SWTOR in an obvious place in the work history, as well as listing testerstories as part of his work history.

I think the most likely explanation is the guy did some form of contract testing, where he was not physically at a Bioware office and was hired out through a third party, and so he doesn't show up in Bioware's records as an official employee, former or otherwise.

Note the sentence in the article:

that included contractors who were doing some development and some testing

I'm rereading it and so far don't see any direct claims that the guy was physically at a Bioware office. He could have plausibly extrapolated much of this stuff from info passed along to him for context and testing.

Yeah.

Them altering the rng is a huge step in the right direction. There's nothing wrong with having some rng, it's part of the mmo genre, but it can't be the primary source of gearing. Had they released Onslaught without player feedback, the game probably would have folded within a year. No hyperbole on my end in regards to that either, I honestly think the game probably would have closed within a year. The interaction between Eric and others of late speaks volumes as to where this game could potentially go. I've been perusing these forums since Beta and not since then, has there been this much interaction, which bodes well.

People aren't asking for a vendor that automatically gives you 258 gear without work, but we also don't want to spend our currency hoping to get a rib-eye and end up with some mac 'n' cheese... We'll have to wait and see what happens, hopefully the choices they make, everyone will be happy with.

Exactly precisely this.

It still astounds me that there are people here who are still claiming Eric hasn't been any more active than any other time this go round for PTS. The feedback and action has seriously been the best I have ever seen since Beta 2, where I was also a tester.

By nature, most players are impatient and most people by nature get their head around a narrative, and then just like to whine ad nauseum on that talking point without actually looking at facts.

• Game development moves slow, and released MMO items likely had work started on them a year to a year and a half prior to "release"
  • A producer would not cancel what was already in the pipeline to start over with his vision when he takes over, because of that long lag time - they'd do what they could, and then when all that content is flushed, they would have their own content behind it in the schedule.
  • This means it could be up to 2 years before you know what a producer is about.

Now, assuming everything we read is true, here is how I interpret the order of events:

• Keith becomes producer
  • Keith knows communication at BioWare has sucked, and tries to remedy that by getting developers more involved in the forums
  • Keith goes on reddit, and hints at big plans for the game to some people who say they are quitting (along the lines of his confidence that what they have planned will win these people back).
  • Keith, Charles, and the developers then get CRUCIFIED over KotFE in a thread where Chales Boyd attempts to reconcile the really weird character direction the Emperor was taken into in that expansion. None of which any but Charles perhaps deserved it (although he did NOT deserve as contentious as it became), as Charles tried to use prezel logic to defend the weird change in character of the Emperor, and then, we got a long period of radio silence. They're human too, and probably needed a break from the mob. (Besides, if you read what Jeff wrote, Jeff is right that the separation is needed, as relaying information is what a good COMMUNITY MANAGER'S role is.)
  • Hiring at BioWare Austin for SWTOR picks up as they have openings for the first time in a while for a few positions, while no departures (hints at team expanding).
  • We then start at the beginning of this year to see a re-engagement with the community first. SWTOR influencer program back from the dead. Eric starts showing up in the forums more. SWTOR twitter starts advertising community influencers. Daniel Steed brought in. This is where the first real Community Management from Eric Musco shows up for me - being the part of what Jeff referenced and what is expected of an MMO Community Manager.
  • In March, we get the "Under the hood" article, which is the first real proof that the developers are making improvements to the Engine again in a substantial way. This hasn't happened under past producers to my knowledge.
  • Ossus gets released. While not perfect, there was some good PTS feedback, and they tried to be a little more active in getting information back from PTS to the developers. It also revealed Malgus is back, which corrects a perceived slight and misuse from the original Vanilla game, giving the first hint that the story backlash from the aforementioned Kotfe thread debacle was received loud and clear.
  • More engagement in the forums from Eric, and more community engagement leading into the announcement of Onslaught. Breaking with BioWare tradition, we actually get a respectable and healthy amount of information initially about the expansion, instead of their usual MO of releasing the name and a couple of production stills and then keeping quiet about it until it hits PTS.
  • Eric has several Onslaught discussions and explanations over the months. Not a ton, sure, but far better than the absolute radio silence we're used to prior to Keith taking over.
  • Which leads me to PTS, where they are doing extended testing, more than any other expansion, and have already proven they are listening to player feedback and are ACTING ON IT.

All that, plus some things I can't mention here, give me some hope on everything.

Look, Keith or Eric aren't going to be on here daily holding our hands and singing kumbaya to make all our feelings better. But objectively, it feels like they found the happy medium of how these things are supposed to go, and it just feels like in terms of the team, the healthiest BioWare has ever been in terms of steering the game.

And I am not about to crucify Keith like some have for not turning the game around in 2 months or something stupid like that. These things take time, and Onslaught is his first REAL crack at it.

So, let them keep taking in feedback on PTS, and when it is done and they launch, lets see what Keith's got...

I find it funky that with how sparsely Eric communicates, he found the time to look into employee records for some guy whose factual claims about the history of the game are extremely minimal and for the most part, is just extrapolating some stuff in a reasoned and speculative manner. Yet he couldn't take the time to address the actual concerns that cause people to believe this stuff and go looking for it in the first place?

Also, I looked at things in a bit more detail. The testerstories page has a "Who Am I" with a LinkedIn page link and a work history of testing. If the guy is not telling the truth, that's quite a lot of effort to go to, to make stuff up and not even link to a LinkedIn page that has SWTOR in an obvious place in the work history, as well as listing testerstories as part of his work history.

I think the most likely explanation is the guy did some form of contract testing, where he was not physically at a Bioware office and was hired out through a third party, and so he doesn't show up in Bioware's records as an official employee, former or otherwise.

I'm rereading it and so far don't see any direct claims that the guy was physically at a Bioware office. He could have plausibly extrapolated much of this stuff from info passed along to him for context and testing.

He also could know people at BioWare (or knew) and had notes from them as well. People in that industry tend to make a lot of connections, as it helps with finding work given how volatile the industry can be.

Not to mention, it doesn't fall into the pattern most lies do with some form of extreme hyperbole.

Remember the Kotaku article from a guy who touted himself as a BioWare insider, complete with a past history of being right, who said that BioWare was going to go under if Anthem flopped?

I got roped into it at the time, but going back, it just had a lot of hyperbole, reeked of someone trying too hard, and like he wanted the spotlight for his "big scoop", and most lies do end up feeling like that.

However this Jeff guy, his post read like any of his other tester posts, his explanations had an extreme LACK of blame and hyperbole, and were very matter-of-fact. He didn't seem out to get anyone; he just stated what he felt he knew. That LACK of drama gives a lot of weight to what he said, and that it jibes with not only a lot of our own experiences with the game, but also even with the leaked questionnaire prior to the game's release while it was still in development, gives this thing a HUGE boost in credibility in my eyes.

He also could know people at BioWare (or knew) and had notes from them as well. People in that industry tend to make a lot of connections, as it helps with finding work given how volatile the industry can be.

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. Even if only a contractor, he probably made connections with some people who weren't. People who at this point could be so long gone, it might be impossible for Bioware to verify such a thing internally. With layoffs factored in, odds are most or all he knew were axed. And if there is anyone there still who knew him, they probably wouldn't speak up on it if asked, to avoid being targeted with some kind of disfavor because someone they know painted SWTOR's history in a not-so-great light, publicly.

But yeah, nothing about his story or profile seems invented to me. Like you say, nothing about it seems hyerbolic or particularly biased. It's a lot like the tone of Raph Koster's posts on SWG, as I parse it; like he's more trying to explain why things happened the way they did than he is passing judgment.

All of that makes this feel very authentic. I have a feeling he may have talked to or known people who worked on SWTOR - none of which gives us the whole picture (which we'd never get anyway), but gives us enough snapshots to really get a handle on what is going on in the studio.

IMO, the thing is according to the OP (Lhancelot) Kryptonomic work on Swtor, if he already lied about that, then there no reason for me to trust anything he says IMO for me at least.

IMO, the thing is according to the OP (Lhancelot) Kryptonomic work on Swtor, if he already lied about that, then there no reason for me to trust anything he says IMO for me at least.

We assumed such because of in-depth knowledge given here that Rings true to us who have tested this game before and also aligns with much of the background knowledge we already do have. Him and I both made the same mistake of labeling him as a former BioWare tester but that is entirely our error and not the testers.

Also as has been stated, having been a contractor, he could have been contracted out to work on SWTOR and Eric's post about him not being an employee of BioWare or EA would still hold true. After all having dinner contractor before, I know you buy actual employer in those cases was the Contracting agency and not the people who I was deployed to to complete work for.

As it is, a lot of this has to do with the past and Eric's post likely has to do with either PR or legal wanting to make sure they are covered from those perspectives. I also think it's important that given our player base often lacks perspective, that they distance themselves from this now so that it doesn't detract from the current development team given that these are things that happened under previous development teams working on SWTOR.

After all, Eric doesn't expressly deny on behalf of BioWare that what Jeff is saying is true. He simply clarified one point and then urged caution.

If BioWare legal felt threatened by what Jeff posted and I knew it to be provably incorrect, they would have issued a much stronger statement.

Right. I got to lol at that one.

A person could easily be privy to the information he shared without having been "an actual employee of BW." That was a clever way to try to discredit Jeff, though.

I suppose if people want to believe Jeff Nyman has a chip on his shoulder, or completely made up everything he wrote about SWTOR's early development that's fine too. For me much of what Jeff wrote fills in a lot of blanks, so-to-speak.

I don't view what he wrote as critical except for perhaps some of the information he shared regarding the typical responsibilities of a game's community management and how that area of the game has really been sketchy at best.

Now i am a liar? I take offense to that. Lying means to deliberately be deceptive and I have no reason to lie about anything here.

I am just sharing posts Jeff Nyman wrote. I am fairly certain there is an explanation of him being directly involved with SWTOR as a tester of sorts somewhere either in his posts on the forums or on his personal blog somewhere I am going to try to find it.

Let's say worse case scenario he was never "an actual BW employee," that hardly discredits what he writes. As Rolodome points out, people do contractual work in technical fields all the time, having never been an actual employee of a company or business they did work for.

One thing he writes on his blog/article is this:

A SWTOR Context

There is a lot of sentiment around the game Star Wars: The Old Republic, it’s current development, and it’s possible future. I’ve found in a few of these conversations that people do appreciate a bit of context. Historical context is often the best of all.

Perhaps people remember this post regarding former developer Daniel Erickson.

A lot of the discussions I’ve seen here suggest it’s helpful to call out a few points from Daniel’s interview. I dusted off some of my own notes from the time but because mine will be largely (if not entirely) anecdotal, I wanted to fill in some aspects of what Daniel said. I don’t ask nor expect anyone to outright believe anything I say here. I can only hope that a certain level of cohesion with what we see now will resonate with folks.

"Anecdotal" would indicate personal experiences he himself experienced being shared from memory, memories based on personal accounts. Anyway, I didn't "lie."

Edited by Lhancelot

Now i am a liar? I take offense to that. Lying means to deliberately be deceptive and I have no reason to lie about anything here.

I am just sharing posts Jeff Nyman wrote. I am fairly certain there is an explanation of him being directly involved with SWTOR as a tester of sorts somewhere either in his posts on the forums or on his personal blog somewhere I am going to try to find it.

Let's say worse case scenario he was never "an actual BW employee," that hardly discredits what he writes. As Rolodome points out, people do contractual work in technical fields all the time, having never been an actual employee of a company or business they did work for.

One thing he writes on his blog/article is this:

A SWTOR Context

There is a lot of sentiment around the game Star Wars: The Old Republic, it’s current development, and it’s possible future. I’ve found in a few of these conversations that people do appreciate a bit of context. Historical context is often the best of all.

Perhaps people remember this post regarding former developer Daniel Erickson.

A lot of the discussions I’ve seen here suggest it’s helpful to call out a few points from Daniel’s interview. I dusted off some of my own notes from the time but because mine will be largely (if not entirely) anecdotal, I wanted to fill in some aspects of what Daniel said. I don’t ask nor expect anyone to outright believe anything I say here. I can only hope that a certain level of cohesion with what we see now will resonate with folks.

"Anecdotal" would indicate personal experiences he himself experienced being shared from memory, memories based on personal accounts. Anyway, I didn't "lie."

No you misunderstand, I was not at all saying you were the Liar I was referring to Jeff Nyman, who you had stated worked at swtor, I thought you meant that Jeff had stated he had work for SWTOR, so if this is the case I find it very hard to believe anything Jeff said now with Eric's post. Now if Jeff didn't say anything about working at swtor I take it back about Jeff. I have only read what been posted on the fourms not the actual website so far.

Sorry for the misunderstanding

Edited by commanderwar