Unscheduled Maintenance - August 20th

EricMusco

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dozens of items sale costs gone and not refunded, though I am way better of than those who listed 100s of items with large sales costs as many do.

If they have that many things they're selling, for that high of prices, they aren't hurting for credits.

This actually makes me laugh at those people who list items for obnoxious prices like 99,999,999 in the hopes of tricking an accidental quick-clicker.

You forgot to say...

AND GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

truthfully ... That's probably what I should have said... I'm old enough that this sort of stuff shouldn't get to me any more. It does get a bit tiresome though !

Sorry ... just ..

I'll calm down ... eventually !!

;)

Haven't you figured out yet people have forgotten how to say Thank you and only know how to complain. (And yes before someone jumps down my throat I lost credits too but it is the exploiters fault and this may be the only way they could do it without being down longer and if that happen more people would complain)

I know ... You are quite correct.. and yes.. I lost credits too !! But how much more would we all stand to loose if something had not been done !!

I'm personally appreciative of the action that was taken !

Ugh !!

As serious problem surfaces threatening the GTN and game economy ... people complain !!

... blah blah.. blah ... NOT FAST ENOUGH !!

Time passes ... for reasons that we really may not understand ... BUT the problem is solved !! (We genuinely hope) And people still complain:

Where is my deposit ... Why did this happen in the first place... Gripe! GRIPE ! ...GRIPE !!!

Never mind what is going on behind the scenes that we haven't and (frankly DON'T need) to see !!

Never mind that had this problem had it been left alone would have caused a LOT of serious problems...

Never mind the fact that it has no doubt taken a lot of hours away from 6.0 which is just weeks away...

And YES !! I am acutely aware that there are bigger fish to fry later on ... and other matters that really do need to be attended to !!

But to be perfectly honest ... some times I really feel like telling some of you who gripe moan and umm... complain all of the time at every single thing that happens !!

(in the words of my generation)

UP YOURS !!!!!!

I'll probably earn a red card for that ... but honestly ... give it a rest !!

Try thanking Eric and his team for at least trying to get to the bottom of this !!

So I was kind of just watching on this one, but I don't see the problem with the complaints. Average player is not to blame for a few bad apples exploiting and causing issues. Having to deal with downtime and canceled listings because probably like .0001% of players used some exploit is rather obnoxious.

Is it a minor inconvenience overall? Yes. But it's more of an inconvenience for some than for others. I wouldn't want to be one of those people who put up 100 listings or what have you and now has to relist them all.

I don't see any special reason to be thankful to Eric and team for doing this. They are just doing their job. Part of their job is catching exploits, to keep their game from going off the rails.

How about this? I thank Eric and team, and you thank the players who have had to put up with the inconvenience of losing tons of listings and losing expected playtime due to surprise downtime.

Thanks Eric and team for catching this and doing something about it.

Now your turn. :)

It's currently a toss-up of whom I want to date in my next life:

a) Ol' Buzzie, for being sensible, if a bit erratic;

b) Casira, for always being sensible; or

c) Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

Hugs,

Dasty

P.S. I was absolutely right that the idiot dupers would over-reach. <<sips martini #2>> They should have kept skimming off the black/black dyes but got greedy.

P.P.S. Dang, I'm good. <<sips martini #3>> I said they would get greedy and move on, which they did -- to Grand Chance Cube. So....

P.P.P.S. I called it that they would move beyond the black/black dyes because they are morons.

Query to the forum: Why I am so brilliant? :rak_03:

Answer: I'm a Hutt. :rak_03:

Edited by Jdast

Hey everyone,

We are going to be bringing all SWTOR servers offline for a quick maintenance. We expect to be down for approximately one hour. This maintenance is to address an in-game exploit. As a part of what we are doing during this maintenance, players will find that all of their GTN sales have been expired. Once we come back online you will find any GTN sales that you had waiting for you in your mailbox.

With the exploit resolved, we will be conducting a thorough investigation of what has occurred. Once we have completed our review, we'll let you know the status and the actions we have taken.

-eric

Thank god. Been waiting for you guys to address this :D

Aww! Poor thing. The economy was being destroyed by these scams. And who knows how deep this went into the GTN. Even the ones who had max listings up on many alts, barely if anything, lost 100k...easily made back. Chump change if you're a GTN player.

So chillax. Ridiculous to whine when they do anything to help.

I had about 160 listed items, but I’m not concerned about the loss of credits. It think fixing and banning these exploiters is worth losing 100-200k because I was losing more than that with these people destroying the market.

Never made a forum post before, but I'd just like to say:

A HUGE thank you to Eric and the dev team for stopping this exploit so close to a big expansion, AND having the kindness to wait for the double XP to end first. It's a small kindness and consideration, you didn't have to do it, but you did. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

The lost deposit in in-game credits for hundreds of listings? Pffttt... :p chump change....and it's not even real money! 10/10 will gladly pay it again for such a serious exploit fix.

p/s: Hopefully you'll also investigate all those who curiously defended those exploiters as having just "hoarded a lot of platinum items..." despite all evidence pointing otherwise (new armor sets, and far, far too much quantity), and even turned around and accused the OPs (more than one thread IIRC) who reported the bug as being the exploiters themselves. The OPs definitely should've kept to PMs to report it, but those who adamantly defend what is an obvious exploit do bear investigating.

Edited by MatchaDream
typo

No rollback! Basically, we are just going to expire any existing auction, anything that happened prior to that point should be untouched.

-eric

Expire auctions would have been OK. But you guys cancelled the auctions and now all players not involved in the exploit had to pay the cancelation fee.

What was so difficult to expire the auctions compared to canel them?

What about some compensation for the lost cancelation fees?

Never made a forum post before, but I'd just like to say:

"The lost deposit in in-game credits for hundreds of listings? Pffttt... :p chump change....and it's not even real money! 10/10 will gladly pay it again for such a serious exploit fix."

You realize some of us pay real money in the Cartel Store for crates to sell, to make in game money, so at the end of the day, yes it is costing real money. Not all of us are running around with a billion credits, nor do I enjoy spending 20-30 minutes re-posting everything I just posted. I'm glad it resolves an exploit that was undermining the game, but it was a poorly thought out approach that punishes players who were abiding by the rules.

Edited by Maker

So I was kind of just watching on this one, but I don't see the problem with the complaints. Average player is not to blame for a few bad apples exploiting and causing issues. Having to deal with downtime and canceled listings because probably like .0001% of players used some exploit is rather obnoxious.

Is it a minor inconvenience overall? Yes. But it's more of an inconvenience for some than for others. I wouldn't want to be one of those people who put up 100 listings or what have you and now has to relist them all.

I don't see any special reason to be thankful to Eric and team for doing this. They are just doing their job. Part of their job is catching exploits, to keep their game from going off the rails.

How about this? I thank Eric and team, and you thank the players who have had to put up with the inconvenience of losing tons of listings and losing expected playtime due to surprise downtime.

Thanks Eric and team for catching this and doing something about it.

Now your turn. :)

For whatever it's worth:

I can understand what you're saying..

Could the situation have been handled any better? Possibly. All of us take that responsibility daily to try to do better.

Could I have done better ? Ummm in short : YA THINK? … yes! I should have. My bad. That's on me and no one else !!

The lost deposits … good grief we all did (all of us who sell on the GTN). BUT... IMO … it's well worth it.

The "small percentage" of players involved ?? The number of people is not the point. The simple fact is that the scale of items showing up on the GTN was of a major impact and really did need to be addressed. A couple of items is on thing … but from what I've seen there were in some cases several THOUSAND of the same item. That's HUGE !

"Thankfulness" IMO.. a little something we should all practice a little more often... Including yours truly !

BTW.. it should be noted this is not a rant on your post. IMO.. we are both correct to a point. We could both learn from each other !

That said... I still support the sudden shut down of the servers in order to help fix the issue.

Nearly 300 items cancelled... not as much as others but still an inconvenience. Trying to clear out years of cartel crate dups and just when I thought i had a handle on pricing I'll have to rethink my model. LOL

Will I rage quit and stop my Founders subscription, most definitely not!

Thanks to Eric and team for trying to stem the exploit. The response may seem arbitrary and extreme to some but like real life the "needs of the many"...

Let's hope this puts some sanity back in the GTN!

all items were cancelled, which means, we've all lost our deposits. When it's only a couple of items, it doesn't really matter, but some have hundreds up. *grabs some popcorn and sits down* time to see the **** hit the fan ;)

Honestly for the negligible amount of credits lost to items being cancelled instead of expired isn't really going to have a massive impact. I'd rather they close an exploit than worry about a few thousands of credits.

You know, to be honest, some of the folks here that are not happy with how Bioware handled this, have a point. I mean, this was going on long before that "one" thread started. So this exploit has been, just guessing, going on about 6 to 8 weeks. They were so focus on PTS, and (I'm not allowed to comment on the moderators perceived inaction) they let this "fester" and their solution is kinda scorch the earth remedy. I personally don't care as I didn't have "a lot" on the GTN. Maybe 40 items. But still, I see the points being made here.

All the same, I'm glad the exploiters are stopped.

You realize some of us pay real money in the Cartel Store for crates to sell, to make in game money, so at the end of the day, yes it is costing real money.

No. It did not cost you real money.

You bought crates for real money. You still have the crates.

Therefore it didn't cost you a single penny of real money.

No. It did not cost you real money.

You bought crates for real money. You still have the crates.

Therefore it didn't cost you a single penny of real money.

I think you missed his point, he used real money to purchase in game cartel market items from EA via the SWTOR store.

How does this work? Allow me to explain.

The real money was withdrawn from his account, his real bank account which holds real money that he earned from a real job. Once the real money is withdrawn out of his account, technically the ingame purchase did cost him real money seeing it left his account and got transferred to EA’s bank account.

Whether he has the ingame crates or not has no bearing on the fact that the fellow did indeed pay real money for the crates... no matter if the crates are in his possession or in another player’s from buying off the GTN or given to other players as gifts, it doesn’t matter. Real money was used for the purchase of said virtual items!

Hope that makes it less confusing for you!

Honestly for the negligible amount of credits lost to items being cancelled instead of expired isn't really going to have a massive impact. I'd rather they close an exploit than worry about a few thousands of credits.

I agree, wasn't complaining about losing credits, if even one of my items resell, i make back more, was just pointing out the *****torm that was (and did happen) which is why I sat down with pocorn to watch...lol

Also, I know it will take time to put all my stuff back up over the next few days, but i'd gladly do it to stop the exploits that were happening.

I think you missed his point, he used real money to purchase in game cartel market items from EA via the SWTOR store.

The real money was withdrawn from his account, his real bank account which holds real money that he earned from a real job. Once the real money is withdrawn out of his account, technically the ingame purchase did cost him real money seeing it left his account and got transferred to EA’s bank account.

Whether he has the ingame crates or not has no bearing on the fact that the fellow did indeed pay real money for the crates... no matter if the crates are in his possession or in another player’s from buying off the GTN or given to other players as gifts, it doesn’t matter. Real money was used for the purchase of said virtual items!

Think you missed his point, he was saying that he used real money to buy the items, but used game currency to list them, not real money ;), it was the game currency he lost due to the cancellation, not the itmes which were purchased with real money

I think YOU missed the point. Allow me to explain since you seem a bit befuddled.

He was claiming that having the items refunded back to his in-game mailbox from the GTN posting somehow cost him real money. As I said to him... it did NOT. The real money was ALREADY spent and had nothing to do with the GTN refund. Therefore, he it cost him NO Real Money for the GTN cancellation.

I hope you understand how you completely misunderstood the entire conversation. It's a learning experience!

I'm with Transcendent on this one. I find it difficult to believe that the in-game currency loss can't be made up by doing one 2 minute heroic on any planet (and there are plenty that take only [or less than] 2 minutes).

If indeed the cost is so much, come to my Hutt pleasure palace on Nar Shaddaa. I'll make you forget all your pain. :rak_03:

Dasty the Hutt

P.S. Welcome back Transcendent. Your voice of reason has been missed.

Edited by Jdast