Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
I'm playing the story I want to, and i'm being punished for it

Hukhound
12.31.2011 , 12:39 AM | #141
one of the most unfortunate things about games like this is that there is limited content, especially in the beginning. While I do expect more content to be added (as stated above, someone said they plan to, but you can tell from the game world there are areas where content is meant to be added later), there's still only so much you can do. SWG was pretty good about adding stuff for neutral players in the end of its life, and hopefully game designers will take the whole "third faction" beef seriously and start making multi-faction equipment and content.

Until then, we play the way a game is designed or choose another game. I understand you plight and agree whole heartily, but as I said, that's the way the game was made and they did advertise that before launch.
Hukhound
Old SWG Characters - Is-Adah/ Deathseeker (Radiant)
Imperial Agent

Bird_of_Thunder
12.31.2011 , 12:43 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderAlpha View Post
Protip: If it bothers you that much, get Diplomacy as a mission skill. It lets you get more LS or DS points for endgame stuff.
Yay, more darkside points to make me more full-on corrupt than I already am!

I'm getting diplomacy.
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Favrus
12.31.2011 , 01:03 AM | #143
This issue is my only complaint about the game so far. But It is a big issue for me. Were given the ability to play our characters personality as we wish but can end up with a gimped toon if we dont do it exactly like this or like that. Not everything in life is black or white. There is just as much gray area. I don't want to be forced to play my character as a "goody two shoes" or a "maniacal lunatic" just so I don't have gear issues..

DieselCheezel
12.31.2011 , 02:14 AM | #144
Op nailed it. Dark / light restrictions are pointless at best and a giant pain in the *** at worst.

xeenoos
12.31.2011 , 04:19 AM | #145
im playing my trooper neutral not on purpose but because my charecter follows orders to the letter sometimes it leads to good sometimes to bad but the outcome is the same an interesting playthrough
im just a simple guy trying to make his way in the universe

Miyeko
12.31.2011 , 04:35 AM | #146
Personally , I think they should HIDE all light / dark points from your in the game and only reveal what your choices have done when you hit a light / dark level plateau - THAT would be more consistent with the Lore in SW, as people learn and grow as time goes on. Just my opinion.
I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in rage - jabantik

-Jayson-
12.31.2011 , 07:18 AM | #147
Heres something i find funney. For all of the options in the chat wheel is almost never what is said..

Ex.

Quest Giver Says:
The Replubic needs you to save the planet, are you with us

Chat Wheel:
1 I fight for the Replublic
2 Is thier any money in it for me?
3 Eat my shorts

Choosing 1

Charater says:
Yeah...

I agree with OP though, people should be able to make thier own choices and not be punished in a way that gimps your charater because of it. The System is Flawed atm. they need to patch in some items on the vendors for these people till they get the system worked out. [ Edited ] Items should be purely cosmetic if anything
Knowing you know nothing is the best knowledge of all - Bruce Lee

Kaisernick
12.31.2011 , 07:35 AM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Red_Vs_Blue View Post
BW said they will add more non-alignment gear. Furthermore, if you are playing this game with out picking a side, you are doing it wrong!
i find these comment funny, the choices you make in the game arnt allways black and white for example my jedi who is for the most part good has made some choices that have netted him dark side points as doing them could potentally strengthen the republic (weather these choices make a difference or not isnt the point its a story and it feels like these choices will make a difference)

hell my agent was for ths most part at the begining a very dark character yet as i have progressed througth the story i have found that the light side choices have made much more sence for my character so he has gone from dark side lvl 3 to lvl 1.

Tenor
12.31.2011 , 07:53 AM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Latorn View Post
I think I need to point out the difference between making a neutral decision in one scenario, and making a light and dark decision in two separate scenarios (leading to a neutral reading on the alignment scale).

Were talking about the second instance. If I choose to play a character who thirsts for revenge, but saves every innocent life he comes I'll end up making both light and dark decisions... and I'll be punished for it.
Just because you are denied access to aligned gear does not make it a punishment. It just means you are not being rewarded. A lack of reward does not constitute a punishment. Punishment would be if your stats suffered penalties because of your choices.

Besides, the Devs said there would eventually be gear for the neutral inclined players. Neutral meaning those who collect both dark and light side points. Patience, my friend.

stoopidboiy
12.31.2011 , 09:51 AM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by Tenor View Post
Just because you are denied access to aligned gear does not make it a punishment. It just means you are not being rewarded. A lack of reward does not constitute a punishment. Punishment would be if your stats suffered penalties because of your choices.

Besides, the Devs said there would eventually be gear for the neutral inclined players. Neutral meaning those who collect both dark and light side points. Patience, my friend.
This.

Still. I sort of agree with the OP to an extent. Most of the issues with alignment restrictions don't effect the majority of my characters in the long run, but at the same time I can still sort of see how it's maybe slightly unfair to reward certain people and not others. All I mean by that is this: while I don't feel as if I'm being punished, it still kinda sucks just a little bit that I'll never get to use some of those higher level relics on a couple of my toons because of the fact that my actual alignment rating will probably never go beyond rank 1 or 2 in either direction. I also think it's kind of just silly as all hell that I can't use a red color crystal 5 out of 7 days of the week simply because my Jedi's rating is generally Light Side I or maybe II, but I make enough Dark Side choices that I've dropped to Dark I at least once so far as well.

Also, to all the people who say if you're not fully Light or Dark you're not doing it right - really? Are you all robots?
"NO WAY! I will bet you all of my Star Wars guys... except Boba Fett. No matter how sure I am, I never risk the Fett-man."