Taris Bonus Series Can Become Non-Completable

Kryptonomic

I almost picked up the master mission for the bonus series on Hoth, but the context of the conversation made me second-guess...and guess correctly. Use guides and pay attention to the conversations and keep this thread on the first page until they fix the damn problem already. This is not an acceptable solution!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Terminology:

* Master mission = the "do the bonus series" mission you take, with objectives all of the format "do mission X for NPC Y".

* Component mission = the mission Xes that you do for the NPCs.

The problem, in all cases, happens when the character completes a component mission before acquiring the master mission. This makes it impossible to finish the master mission because:

* The master mission does not detect that you have already done the component mission.

* The component mission giver won't give it to you again.

Resetting the master mission won't help because it still doesn't recognise that you have already done the component mission, and the component mission giver still thinks you have already done it.

What should have happened *before this was ever released* was that the component missions should not be available if the character does not have the master mission AND that the master mission cannot be abandoned once at least one component mission has been acquired. (For simplicity, I'd make it "cannot be abandoned at all".)

To *fix* this, there isn't a totally satisfactory answer. My best suggestion is something like this:

* Remove the existing master and component missions from the game. Totally. Write off the fact that credits, XP, etc. have already been given out to some players.

* Create new component missions that can only be taken if the master mission is open in the character's log.

* Create a new master mission that cannot be abandoned once taken.

In this way, all characters will be able to do the *new* missions correctly, since there will be no way to complete the component missions before taking the master mission.

This is my analysis. Fixing this is not exactly simple. What I suggest above is, I think, more or less the only sane way to fix it, although since then I have had another idea:

* Modify the master missions so they reset the completion status of their component missions when taken, AND so that they cannot be abandoned or reset.

* At the same time, remove the master missions on all characters who already have them OPEN.

Either way, there will be some hairy things crawling around the edges of this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Same here, bug is still there. Got to a certain point in the quest where I had to speak to the Engineer, wouldn't let me no matter what I did. Reset the quest like they suggested, spoke to the first NPC again.. now I'm stuck as I can't talk to the person involving "Missing link".

Same here, bug is still there. Got to a certain point in the quest where I had to speak to the Engineer, wouldn't let me no matter what I did. Reset the quest like they suggested, spoke to the first NPC again.. now I'm stuck as I can't talk to the person involving "Missing link".

Of course it is still there. Read the patch note history - they have never announced a fix, so it wasn't fixed. (Given the noise this issue has generated over the years, it is not possible that they are unaware of it, and I cannot believe that they would fix it without saying so.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just to add, that Bonus Series, are bugged for me also. I couldn't complete Taris and Balmorra, Bonus Series quests. While I remember at some point, they were working fine couple of years back, now something seems to be making a problem, and they just glitch.

Just to add, that Bonus Series, are bugged for me also. I couldn't complete Taris and Balmorra, Bonus Series quests. While I remember at some point, they were working fine couple of years back, now something seems to be making a problem, and they just glitch.

They were *always* buggy, but in pre-4.0 "normal" play, pretty much the only ones you'd normally be able to *see* the bug on would be Pub Taris and Imp Balmorra, since those are the only ones that are "at" their planet's main story level. As I recall, for example, on Hoth, the mobs in the Bonus Series area were all level 45-47 or so, which is pretty much instasquish for a 37-40 player.

If you collect the "master" mission before collecting the "component" missions, they work fine. The bug is more prevalent after 4.0 because it's easier to do the component missions before you're even *eligible* for the master mission.

• 3 months later...
Balmorra republic side is buggy too - one of the component quests, "nowhere to run" from sergeant jojames is available when you're level 29, while the actual bonus series requires level 60

It seems when they changed the level requirements for all the bonus series after the first one to level 60, they created more problems. They should change them back to their respective levels.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

It seems when they changed the level requirements for all the bonus series after the first one to level 60, they created more problems. They should change them back to their respective levels.

It would be more effective to make the "component" missions only able to be taken if the character has the "master" mission open, with some sort of hand-wave for characters that are already "bugged".

A possible solution:

1. Remove all the current bonus series missions from the game.

2. Create new missions that are identical in all respects to the old ones except for the addition of the stipulation that the component missions cannot be taken if the character does not have the master mission.

It would, but I have to set my expectations low here. This bug has been present since launch, and it was only exacerbated when they changed the series level requirement to level 60 (except for Pub Taris and Imp Balmorra). They should also bring back the breadcrumb missions that directed you to them. People have complained they miss a few of these series. This would ensure people wouldn't overlook them. Edited by Tofu_Shark

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Just encountered this. It's now 2019 and no fix. How do you have a game around this long with a bug in it like this that you never even address? Completely unacceptable. If they don't address my support ticket, I'm pulling my subscription for the next billing cycle. Edited by Ripplemagne

Just encountered this. It's now 2019 and no fix. How do you have a game around this long with a bug in it like this that you never even address? Completely unacceptable. If they don't address my support ticket, I'm pulling my subscription for the next billing cycle.

Most certainly because they see it as a non-issue and consider all the planet bonus series abandoned content. This is in line with the increased overall xp gain and their decision to classify every planetary quest that does not relate in any way to the class/planet story or offer specific titles/codex entries "exploration missions". They are deactivated by default and can only be picked up if you manually activate them on your map.

So if this really is a deal breaker for you, I think they have lost a sub with you. Too bad.

Edited by Phazonfreak

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I checked with the team and we are aware of the issue and working on a fix. Unfortunately, addressing it is a bit more complex than we would like and so it is going to be a while until we can get it resolved. I wouldn't expect this to get fixed before 6.0, but we will look to have it fixed in a patch as soon as we can!

Thanks.

-eric