Marauder Ability, Tactical Item, and Set Bonus Feedback

EricMusco

The new ability will be great. Will definitely bump the Mara up, especially Carnage (which is currently 3rd worst discipline).

I'm thinking between the tactical items, I'll want Hyper. Almost every time I use massacre, I do it 3 GCDs while waiting for my other rotation to go.

Depending on the new ability, I can see Always Ferocious working well. Bloody Focus could work well for your PVP carnage mara, adding a DOT. Unstable Focus is the way to go if you want more AOE punch. Like I'd get Unstable Focus right now for VM Queen, but we'll have to see how the new ops will be on ads and AOE.

The default mara tacticals, eh. Apex Predator is meh, since you usually have Predation on its "no longer needs 30 stacks of focus/fury" with the self cleanse and reduced cooldown on Force Camo. I also usually use them at the same time, so that's just a 15 second gap it would open up for using Force Camo, based on CD differences. I don't see this one being useful.

And Hidden power could be useful if you stay in Force Camo the full time. But I only ever do that if I'm sneaking past a mob, and not fighting them. It's very rare for me to use it full cooldown in a fight, and usually is only when I'm low on HP.

Annhi I don't use enough to have an opinion on much. Exterminator seems good, and can help the Annhi Mara in leveling or farming dailies, but I don't see it doing well in MM FPs, Ops, or WB fights.

Fury, is *** and I will never touch it. It's a DPS with extra defense really, which as a Mara is an awful combo. Could work as a skank on PT, or Jugg, but not on a Mara.

Carnage is far from being bad... I am surprised how fast I can kill people in PVP with it.

My only problem with it is the lack of crowd control like fury has... I can be stunned, pushed all the over the place, same with Anni. Going in Arenas with these 2 specs is just too much gamble. Sadly Fury is just the perfect Mara PVP machine at the moment and I see this trend going into 6.0 as well.. It's the least favorite spec of mine tho, but you are kinda forced to play it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who plays Marauder in Solo Ranked, this is a bit too much. A 25% Damage increase for 4 abilities? The Carnage Marauder can already do upwards of 75k damage in the opener. If you increase this by 25% BEFORE Crit (Which means that you are essentially increasing the damage by way more), I wouldn't be surprised if a Carnage Marauder can kill someone from full in the span of a single stun.

Yes, damage buffs apply before Crit, which means your crit will modify it again. That makes a 25% damage buff essentially a 43% damage buff. That means we're going to see 40k+ Auto-Crit Devestating Blasts. Followed by a ~35k Gore (Also an auto-crit with Set Bonus), and then potentially a 25k Vicious Throw. This is assuming current gear and health pools, which I can only imagine will not scale up appropriately with the new levels (DPS has always outpaced Health Pools). I don't even want to get started with Fury maras and their ability to do more damage than Carnage (just less bursty but more sustained) with their increased control, survivability, and stun immunity.

And then we have Predation refreshing Camoflauge? Just... no. It's already a challenge enough to chase Marauders, now all they have to do is make sure they hit Camo FIRST, then hit Pred (Doesn't break camo), and speed off to their heal spot. Get chased? Camo is already back up. Wait until they're just about to turn the corner on you, and now hit Camo again and go run somewhere else. By then, they're out of combat and you can't find them using the map anymore.

Edited by Rogean

Why are the marauder tactical items so much stronger than the sorc and sin ones? They’re already one of the best classes in the game, they don’t need this at all.

Something we can completely agree on. The disparity between the items is ridiculous.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Vicious Saber - Vicious Slash applies all of your Deadly Saber stacks to its target at once and resets the cooldown of Deadly Saber.

I'm looking forward to testing this one. Are you aware, though, how drastically this will change priorities/rotation for the spec?

On a side note, I had the impression that the way legendary items did things like that to WOW specs was greeted with a lot of excitement at first, but people grew tired fast of having to adapt their priorities and rotation in a much higher frequency as a result of aquiring certain items than they had to when changes to the spec itself were the only reason to do so.

Edited by Ardarell_Solo

So, where is the information for the Guardian/Juggernaut set bonuses and tactical items that is to be a companion to this piece of information. You released Assassin/Sorcerer tactical item and set bonus information simultaneously, why not here as well?

Hey folks,

[*]From the Shadows - Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

This set bonus is utterly useless both for pve and pvp. Mad dash isnt such a great damage ability + using it while campuflage makes no sense too. This must be reworked

Fury

•  
  • Obliterator - Using Obliterate with Furious Focus causes it to critically hit.

Obliterate is close-up ability. It is not intented to cause much damage so wasting furious focus stack on it is useless. Pretty weak tactical item.
  • Force Barter - Furious Strike refunds one additional rage after it hits, but refunds all its rage if you would have fallen to zero.

This is useless for fury spec since fury has no problems with rage generate rate anyway.

-eric

I feel like tactical items for annihilation and carnage are much better than for fury. Fury tactical items are. Mostly useless. + the last set bonus for marauder is a total joke.

So many other classes in here complaining. Go fix your preferred class not dog others.

What if you play all classes or most. Ie, I play all classes but I’ve 6 preferred classes an 9 preferred specs.

Playing so many makes it much easier to see all the strengths and weakness in these changes and the Mara’s ones are mostly OP (or nonsensical) compared to those other changes that have been announced.

Mara’s already one of the strongest classes in the meta, Sorcs are near the bottom and Sins are lower mid. So it makes absolute zero sense to make Mara’s even stronger and create an even bigger gap between them.

What if you play all classes or most. Ie, I play all classes but I’ve 6 preferred classes an 9 preferred specs.

Playing so many makes it much easier to see all the strengths and weakness in these changes and the Mara’s ones are mostly OP (or nonsensical) compared to those other changes that have been announced.

Mara’s already one of the strongest classes in the meta, Sorcs are near the bottom and Sins are lower mid. So it makes absolute zero sense to make Mara’s even stronger and create an even bigger gap between them.

Yup!! I play all classes but I excel at certain classes because I invested more time into them and due the fact I enjoy it more. Fury maras can completly destroy a deception sin because they are given much mroe to work with and their dcds are incrediblly good and viable. Bioware should have added a dcd instead of a root for sins but its too late for that now. So , instead we need to focus on the tacticals. We need to have a tactical for DPS sins that allows them to have 2 charges of force cloak within a 30-45 second timer. This one tactical alone will make sins very viable and would even out the disparity.

Edited by Delani

Wow what a *********** retarded changes. What is OP for maras? Their insane burst with 2 auto crit and their infinite cc immunity so what BW's developer team giving them more cc immunity and more auto crit with a damage 25% damage increase. BW developers are really useless. They are just adding abilites without checking what they have. Well if this is the same team that gave 3 f2h ability in same parct to mercs than we know they are just gonna add stupid ideas in game.

Forgive me for the length, but I wanted to tackle everything in one go.

Furious Focus sounds really intriguing. Whether or not it is too powerful is hard to say without testing it first sadly. I think keeping this off the GCD (perhaps give it a really small internal cooldown so we don't accidentally use more than what we intend to) would be best and allowing us to use stacks one at a time as we please would also be for the best. Odds are, nobody will really want to use 4 in a row as this is something that should be paired with the hardest hitting abilities to maximize its usefulness.

I think it would benefit Carnage and Fury far more than Annihilation simply because Annihilation gets the majority of its damage from DoTs and Annihilate (which is really going to see the most benefit from this as Ravage and Twin Saber Throw have too long of a cooldown while Vicious Throw is only execute. Granted, this specific issue with Vicious Throw is alleviated a bit for Annihilation with the proposed set bonus Dispatcher). Having the initial hit of Rupture and Force Rend hit for 25% is lackluster at best. Which means this will only ever see it's best use on Annihilate while Ravage (assuming the 25% increase of one stack applies to all 6 hits) and Twin Saber Throw will see some benefit but will be much harder to use effectively due to their long cooldown time. Carnage and Fury have the ability to use multiple stacks in a row effectively due to them having more hard hitting attacks. A 25% damage boost on Twin Saber Throw (this one is whatever since Ferocity has been changed to stacks and not time-based and it doesn't even gain the armor penetration bonus anymore) Ravage, Devastating Blast, and Gore while under ferocity is going to be incredibly powerful due to the hard hitting nature of these abilities and how they fall into the rotation. As for Fury, a 25% damage boost on Ravage, Raging Burst, Furious Strike and Filler is exciting on the first 3, but less exciting if the filler is Vicious Slash instead of Vicious Throw because you aren't in execute.

To make this better for Annihilation, I would recommend you change it so that not only does the damage boost apply to the initial hit of a DoT (Rupture, Force Rend and Deadly Saber), but every subsequent tick of the dot until the dot is refreshed early or falls off. Regarding Deadly Saber, if you consume a stack of Furious Focus on it, make it so the ticks at all 3 stack levels are benefiting from it please. If not, then only the one stack ticks will benefit, presumably, and that would be detrimental to the class.

Currently, that is a potential issue I see with this ability. As the explanation is rather vague regarding how it affects DoT abilities, some clarification would be greatly appreciated. After all, if it only affects the initial tick on the application of the DoT, it will be far less useful for Annihilation than the other two specs.

Regarding the set bonuses that are proposed: Dispatcher only benefits Annihilation since Fury doesn't use Twin Saber Throw in an optimal rotation and Carnage can use Vicious Throw on a target regardless of health because of a skill tree passive. From the Shadows on the other hand, is not really going to be useful in PvE or PvP. Mad Dash is just never used for dealing damage simply because it doesn't generate any stacks of Fury, moves you off your target and does poor damage. Given the defensive utility of Force Camouflage, it would be a waste to use it to strengthen Mad Dash given how little use Mad Dash has offensively.

Sadly, there isn't really any way to fix Dispatcher for Carnage that I can think of without changing the set bonus altogether. As is, Carnage cannot really spare the resource needed to use Dispatch more than once every other Ferocity window unless you take the Cloak of Rage utility in the skill tree, but you have much better choices as a Mara.

As for Fury, Twin Saber Throw is never used in the optimal rotation. the only time Twin Saber Throw sees use as Fury is when you are running towards an enemy and all of your gap closers are on cooldown which is a rare instance.

The only issue I can see with this for Annihilation is that your resource regeneration is somewhat RNG dependent and Annihilation uses a lot of resource. Other than that, this benefits Annihilation far, far far more than the other two specs.

Regarding the Tacticals:

Marauder Tacticals:

Apex Predator may end up being way too strong in solo ranked PvP. Hard to say without being able to test it currently. Perhaps make it have an internal cooldown of 1 minute or 1.5 minutes to help balance it if it is too powerful as is.

Frenzied Focus is not very good as 1 stack per 2.5 minutes (it's 2.5 because we will no longer have the current 4pc set bonus) is not going to be useful. Make it so it generates 4 stacks immediately (since you generate 4 stacks every 2 minutes) and perhaps and additional 4 stacks over 20 seconds. The latter effect could end up being too powerful, but the former should probably be how it functions.

Hidden Power sounds cool, but staying it will result in a DPS loss in PvE and wont really matter in PvP since Force Camouflage is just used to run away and heal in PvP.

Annihilation:

Exterminator is great for just experiencing story and playing casually, but it has no use in Operations or PvP.

Rapid Rupture won't be useful since the rotation for Annihilation is super strict and doesn't allow much variance for optimal DPS. Also, refreshing a dot before it falls off is just a bad thing to do unless you're lethality on an Operation boss (even then, you only do it twice unless your dots fall off altogether due to mechanics). Perhaps change it so that you get the double damage on the reapplication of the DoT and not refreshing it.

Vicious Saber is really cool in theory, but being tied to Vicious Slash is not particularly good when it could be tied to Annihilate which increases all DoT damage for 4.5 seconds after being used... I personally think changing it to Annihilate would be better or changing it altogether to something similar like Rupturing Scream and making it so Force Scream refreshes the duration of Deadly Saber would be much better.

Carnage:

Unstable Focus is really cool, but being tied to Furious Focus holds it back, but probably keeps it balanced. Maybe experiment with it so that it just always explodes first. If that is broken, then it can be adjusted as needed. There's no real reason for this to be tied to Furious Focus while Detonate for the Fury Mara is not... really unfair for Carnage.

Hyper is probably useful for more casual play, but would likely have no real use in Operations or PvP.

Bloody Focus sounds like what our Ravage was, until it was moved over to Fury in 5.0, except worse since it can only be applied to a Gore that is buffed by Furious Focus. If you are looking to give Carnage some sustained back I'm all for it, but being tied to Furious Focus is a drawback since it will likely be impossible for Carnage to save a stack of it every time you use Gore. Really cool concept that I think would be better as a skill tree passive honestly. Especially if the bleed isn't a decent boost to our sustained DPS.

Always Furious is probably going to be the best Tactical item for the spec in most if not all situations. It's really awesome and possibly too powerful. Sadly, can't be tested yet to my knowledge.

Fury:

Detonate is so much better than Unstable Focus since it will always cause Force Crush to explode (I'm assuming the explosion is just the final tick of Force Crush since all of the other ticks would make this extremely lackluster). Amazing for AoE since this spec is kinda meh in that department despite the auto crit on Smash.

Obliterator is pretty cool and probably the way to go in single target fights as an auto crit that does 25% extra damage every 30 seconds is really powerful. The last thing Fury needs is more damage honestly as the spec is over performing currently in PvP and dummy parses (those don't really matter though)

Force Barter: I don't see this having any use as the Fury rotation gives enough resource where you should never have to use anything aside from Berserk and Battering Assault for resource. I would recommend changing this to something that would be more useful to the spec as this is clearly far and away the worst one for Fury. I was thinking of a rotation for Fury with this Tactical, but everything i thought of was just inferior to the current rotation. So this should be removed and changed to something else altogether.

Since we can ask for a Tactical Item we would like to see in the game...

(Carnage) Timely Slaughter: Ferocity no longer provides stacks, but instead lasts 3 seconds and gives you 100% armor penetration on all abilities used within those 3 seconds. Pretty please.

Fix underperforming classes don't bring the others down to their level or reduce their toolkit. It's an expansion, they can adjust what they need to. This game is super alt friendly nearly everyone plays multiple classes. We know classes aren't equal, there is already more homogenization in this game than I prefer. It's a dangerous line to tread imo.

Fix underperforming classes don't bring the others down to their level or reduce their toolkit. It's an expansion, they can adjust what they need to. This game is super alt friendly nearly everyone plays multiple classes. We know classes aren't equal, there is already more homogenization in this game than I prefer. It's a dangerous line to tread imo.

Yup!!! I agree, make the weaker classes stronger. And to be honest, dps juggs will be very vialbe in 6.0 thus far. A second ED and dmg reduct on threatening scream is all they needed.

Hey folks,

Let's talk about what Spoils of War has in store for the Marauder! Below you will find the Marauder’s new ability, the set bonuses that are planned for them, and a list of their new Tactical items. You may see bonuses which refer to charges. We are introducing new tech in Onslaught which will allow abilities to have multiple charges, meaning you can use them more than once (per charge) and the cooldown will simply add a charge up to the maximum.

You will note that compared to the Sorcerer, the Marauder has fewer set bonuses. The reason for this is that although the Advanced Class has less, the base class of Sith Warrior has more than the Inquisitor. It still results in 8 set bonus options overall.

Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change

New Ability – Furious Focus

Furious Focus has 4 ability charges and recharges every 30 seconds. Activating Furious Focus consumes all charges causing your next attacks to do 25% additional damage.. Ex: If you consume 3 charges, your next 3 attacks do 25% increased damage.

Set Bonuses

These bonuses will likely have the high end of piece requirements, such as requiring 4 or 6 pieces. The smaller piece bonuses will be more passive in nature (stat benefits, etc).

• Dispatcher - Using Dual Saber Throw with Furious Focus grants Dispatcher, finishing the cooldown of Force Charge and making your next Vicious Throw usable on any target.
  • From the Shadows - Activating Mad Dash while under Force Camouflage makes it critically hit and slows any targets it damages.

Tactical Items

This a new item slot coming in Onslaught. You can only wear one Tactical Item at a time.

Marauder

• Apex Predator - Activating Predation finishes the cooldown of Force Camouflage.
  • Frenzied Focus - Frenzy builds a Furious Focus charge.
  • Hidden Power - Force Camouflage generates 2 rage per second while active.

Annihilation

• Exterminator - Annihilate automatically kills standard and weak enemies with less than 30% health. Killing an enemy this way resets the cooldown of Annihilate.
  • Rapid Rupture - Refreshing Rupture deals double damage on initial hit.
  • Vicious Saber - Vicious Slash applies all of your Deadly Saber stacks to its target at once and resets the cooldown of Deadly Saber.

Carnage

• Unstable Focus - Using Devastating Blast with Furious Focus causes Devastating Blast to explode, dealing damage to all targets in the area.
  • Hyper - Using Massacre adds Hyper stacks to you, increasing your critical chance by 10% and reducing the cost of your next Massacre by 1 rage per stack. Stacks up to 3 times. Last 10 seconds or until an ability other than Massacre is used.
  • Bloody Focus - Using Gore with Furious Focus causes its target to bleed.
  • Always Ferocious - Ferocity is active all the time, but only grants 50% armor penetration.

Fury

• Detonate - Raging Burst detonates Force Crush, dealing damage and slowing any enemies in an area around the primary target.
  • Obliterator - Using Obliterate with Furious Focus causes it to critically hit.
  • Force Barter - Furious Strike refunds one additional rage after it hits, but refunds all its rage if you would have fallen to zero.

As a note, if you are a Sentinel player, you can expect to see these bonuses mirrored for you as well, they are still in process.

Let us know your thoughts! Here are the types of feedback we are looking for. XX seems too strong or too weak. XX Set Bonus combined with XX Tactical seems too strong or too weak. I wish there was a Set Bonus or Tactical that had a specific effect or modified a specific ability not listed. Be as specific as possible in your feedback.

-eric

In the end, you guys must make so that marauders have greatest and fastest dps in the game. The reason is pretty obvious - dps is the only thing marauder can do. It has no guard or taunts to save his team mates, it is has no range 8 second mezz or cc as sin, merc or sorc have, it has no healing or super-save abilities (like bubble or reflect) so it is pretty squishy.

If marauder looses its great damage it will become utterly useless. No one will play it since besides its damage it has nothing.

In the end, you guys must make so that marauders have greatest and fastest dps in the game. The reason is pretty obvious - dps is the only thing marauder can do. It has no guard or taunts to save his team mates, it is has no range 8 second mezz or cc as sin, merc or sorc have, it has no healing or super-save abilities (like bubble or reflect) so it is pretty squishy.

If marauder looses its great damage it will become utterly useless. No one will play it since besides its damage it has nothing.

Maras are perfect, if you think they are squishy then you dont know how to play the class well

I was thinking on how to make Annihilation tacticals viable for endgame, this is what I came up with:

1) Using Annihilate on a bleeding target increases all damage dealt by 1%, stacks indefinitely. Bonus is lost on target swap or after 45 seconds (unaffected by alacrity)

2) When Rupture’s bleed effect falls off, it grants a 3 second buff. Reapplying it before the buff falls off increases direct damage dealt by 50% and bleed damage dealt by 15%. Stacks up to 2 times.

3) Using Annihilate on a target suffering from a 3 stack Deadly Saber refunds the rage cost and cooldown of Annihilate and makes the next Vicious Throw usable on a target with any health%. Effect can only be procced once every 18 seconds (affected by alacrity)

I know this is a complete overhaul, but the current tacticals don’t tie too much into how the spec is played. Just compared to the other 2 specs, Annihilation doesn’t benefit from any of them in endgame.

Maras are perfect, if you think they are squishy then you dont know how to play the class well

Perfect in games with healers. In 4 dps games if you get stun chained you die, if enemy has at least decent operative or sin they will chase you after camouflage and finish off in most situations. Marauder doesn't have any healing abilities or passive damage reduction abilities. Onces guarded by the force ends it will die.

Those who say that all mara has is their damage have a good point since without great focus on surviving in full dps games mara can be vanquished in few seconds. Yet indeed in healer games marauder is probably the best class who isn't that easy to be killed thanks to constant camouflages and obfuscates.

Mara needs to be most hard-damaging class. Loosing its damage means loosing class itself.

Perfect in games with healers. In 4 dps games if you get stun chained you die, if enemy has at least decent operative or sin they will chase you after camouflage and finish off in most situations. Marauder doesn't have any healing abilities or passive damage reduction abilities. Onces guarded by the force ends it will die.

Those who say that all mara has is their damage have a good point since without great focus on surviving in full dps games mara can be vanquished in few seconds. Yet indeed in healer games marauder is probably the best class who isn't that easy to be killed thanks to constant camouflages and obfuscates.

Mara needs to be most hard-damaging class. Loosing its damage means loosing class itself.

This is just a mara main blindly defending his class with misinformation. Maras are still the second best class in 4 dps games after mercs. Mara dcds are excellent. They have the ability to stealth out and heal to full every 45 seconds, which is usually possible even if people chase. They are not squishy at all.

Edited by JediMasterAlex