Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Significantly Less Choice Than I Expected

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Significantly Less Choice Than I Expected

lmpervious
12.31.2011 , 12:04 AM | #1
There are no story spoilers... at least not specific ones. I discuss how the BH is played and what type of missions he gets, but not any specific elements that could be ruined.

I suppose I should start by saying, yes I am disappointed in how my character is coming along, especially as of recently. I am playing a Bounty Hunter, and he was going to be my only Empire character, and then I was going to play the rest as republic, as I'm not a big fan of all the evil stuff.

Anyway, I was fine with playing on the empire side, because while I am not a big fan of all the evil stuff, I can definitely tolerate a bit... either way I planned on playing on the light side. However as I continue on I don't feel any different than a sith. I am a weapon for the empire, not a free agent bounty hunter. I don't seem to get many neutral bounties outside of my class story.

It just all seems to be about serving the empire. The class story (not surprisingly) seems to do a great job of making me feel like the character I want to play, but the planet quests don't as my only options are to either help the empire, or not do missions at all.

In retrospect I do see it is because I need to share the quests with the sith and the IA, but before I got this far I did not realize how little choice I would have within these missions. There seems to be nearly no choices to sabotage the empires plans, or simply get bought out by your bounty if all you are interested in is credits.

One quick clarification, I leveled for quite a bit, and I was fine doing things for the empire here and there, they seemed a lot more secondary, and I am not against helping the empire as a BH. It seems to have started bothering me when it started feeling like helping the empire was my primary goal, not taking down a wide array of targets and getting credits for it.

Well, sorry for the rant, but thanks if you read it all. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions.

krisslanza
12.31.2011 , 12:18 AM | #2
It's just one of the game balance things. As Bounty Hunter is an Empire class, all the quests will, well, benefit them. If there was a neutral faction, Bounty hunter would work better for that.

But I imagine they stuck Bounty Hunter as an Empire class because of Boba Fett who is often in the employ of the Empire, even if it wasn't his only employer.

lmpervious
12.31.2011 , 03:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
It's just one of the game balance things. As Bounty Hunter is an Empire class, all the quests will, well, benefit them. If there was a neutral faction, Bounty hunter would work better for that.

But I imagine they stuck Bounty Hunter as an Empire class because of Boba Fett who is often in the employ of the Empire, even if it wasn't his only employer.
Ya I understand what you are saying, but I just wish I had more choices, even when working for the empire.

I guess what I should have said initially is that I wanted to play a light side bounty hunter who usually did what was right, but sometimes was tough or cut corners. As it stands, however, I am pretty much dark side, while making some "good" decisions here and there, despite having many light points. It doesn't seem possible to truly be a good guy as a bounty hunter.

I don't mean always going easy on targets and letting them get away, I wouldn't play him completely soft, but helping to destroy the republic in many critical and personal ways over and over is not what I had in mind, especially with so few other options.

fettpett
12.31.2011 , 03:50 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post

agreed. Personally think they would have been better off making both the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler neutral to start with then allowing them to chose the Empire or Republic when they hit 10.

(I also find them not going analogs of each other kinda dumb but thats IMHO)