Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear Acquisition Feedback - Spoils of War

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gear Acquisition Feedback - Spoils of War
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
05.30.2019 , 04:35 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

As we talked about on the Spoils of War stream, gear acquisition is seeing some big changes. From drops being relevant to your item rating, being able to gear from your favorite content, deconstruction, crafting changes, and the new item vendors, a lot is changing. Let us know your thoughts!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

lord-angelus
05.30.2019 , 05:00 PM | #2
OK so just to clarify, you talked about different sets and bonuses for different disciplines. So for mara and sniper they have to acquire and carry 3 different sets with them?

Lhancelot
05.30.2019 , 05:04 PM | #3
So how will PVPers truly gear their way, then? Exactly what is going to change that allows players who want to gear solely through PVP to do it?

I will check out the stream soon when I got time to focus on it. It's nice to see you guys show some real zeal with upcoming additions to the game.

I really hope this expansion proves to be a nice success. I think not only would the game really enjoy some success, the people behind the game could really do for some positivity and success.

Godspeed to you and your team, Eric.
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
I've lost more SWTOR friends to excessive grind than to any other factor! Too many game companies think more grind = more player engagement = more player satisfaction - it doesn't. RNG is lazy, RNG is cheap, RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.

hillerbees
05.30.2019 , 05:14 PM | #4
I hope the materials for crafting will be widely available in the planets rather than in the operations. I was very disappointed to find the recent top end gear required items from operations which made the crafting suitable only to crafting ops players rather than crafters in general.

I have no problem highly desirable items should require lots of different crafting materials but not impossible to get crafting materials which make the crafting of the item prohibitively expensive in either time or resources.

hillerbees
05.30.2019 , 05:16 PM | #5
...also I get the feeling that, as per usual the crafted unmodable gear will be viewed as second rate to that aquired through play. This is a little disappointing, its been a while since crafters were made feel useful.

aerockyul
05.30.2019 , 05:34 PM | #6
This has been mentioned by others for a while now, but with the added ability to move more gear through legacy, will there be a chance you guys will add another Legacy Bay Inventory Tab? A lot of people are running out/have run out of space and this will only compound that problem.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Euphemia Rose, Selauna, Wrathiva, Maulyah Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx
Kharaava, Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire, Dani Clarke
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

Agenteaglestrike
05.30.2019 , 06:48 PM | #7
As far as Gear Acquisition goes - it was said that once you gain the "Shell" of a item, with the desired effect/modifier to your skill / abilities.

So on that, how do you make it so that we do want to upgrade the shell? Better Amplifier budgets? A better min-max budget? I ask in the spirit of getting the item once and then just upgrading it indefinitely, is going to limit the life span of gear hunting.

A solution (Whilst involved a whole new game system) would be items have a health/durability where you can use the same item to repair your equipped item, with each change / re-roll you do to an item deteriorates the parent gear piece.

Savej
05.30.2019 , 06:54 PM | #8
Currently, my main goal of completing conquests and getting money and doing pve is so that ultimately I can get my 7-ish main characters perfectly geared for PVP. That's a goal I will never meet and I'm fine with that - I have a couple that are there and legacy sets make the others very usable as I chip away at them. I'm not rushing.

But it sounds a lot like there's no reason to get gear for PVP anymore: watching this stream made me feel ill about half way through. If I don't see a reason, many more people will also figure the same thing (they tend to). I don't want to overreact, throw an internal tantrum and destroy over 8 years of investment (19 characters at 300cxp, over 50 at level 70, at least 10 with over 80 valor ranks), but 95% of this whole gearing system sounds pointless for me as a pvper. That extra 5% to get a tactical whatever or a set bonus I like sounds very finite and the idea of hoping for 1 random super rare item to drop and nothing else gives me flashbacks.

Dealing with wild balance swings yet again with the set bonuses and amplifiers (and new class abilities), also, not fun for me. It's not fun -having- an overwhelming advantage and it's certainly not fun fighting a fight I have 0 chance of winning due to experiments or uncaught bugs. The current bolster was being fixed years after release. This doesn't sound less complicated and the dev count is probably smaller than it was.

*Don't get me wrong I like the stories and the arcs but the idea of rolling yet another alt for any of the class stories and going through Kotfe/Kotet/etc/Ossus for the umpteenth time also holds 0 interest for me. They are not compelling repeatable content for me and most of those umpteen runs were OCD driven. I created so many characters to flesh out legacies on other servers back when servers were losing populations - I've not created any new ones since the merge.

sharkfishman
05.30.2019 , 07:37 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by hillerbees View Post
...also I get the feeling that, as per usual the crafted unmodable gear will be viewed as second rate to that aquired through play. This is a little disappointing, its been a while since crafters were made feel useful.
What I think is happening is there's a disconnect between crafters and devs (at least the way it appeared to me during the livestream).

Devs think: Crafters enjoy crafting and want to progress their characters by crafting gear for them.

Crafters think: We like money. Money, money, money. Nobody actually "likes" crafting devs. We do it to make money. If it won't sell, it's worthless.

Devs: No, no way. Why would anyone craft to make money? Obviously people do it because it's fun to loot nodes to gather resources and command your minions to do something you can't actually participate in. Crafting is FUN!
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

xSssoulx
05.30.2019 , 07:42 PM | #10
howdy
You mentioned during the stream that item rating will be the determining, what gear will be dropping form mobs, correct?
What happens if i go in full max gear(lets say 300rating) into sm operation will the bosses be dropping 300 rating pieces for me? or SM HM NIM operations will have more or less set loot? example SM 270-280, HM 281-290 and NiM 291-300?