Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Set Bonus and Tactical Effect Feedback - Spoils of War

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Set Bonus and Tactical Effect Feedback - Spoils of War
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
05.30.2019 , 04:27 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

As we talked about on the Spoils of War stream, set bonuses and tactical items will have new, playstyle changing effects. Let us know your thoughts!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Estelindis
05.30.2019 , 04:39 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Example Effects that could be found on these items for....
  • Inquisitor - The cooldown of Whirlwind is reduced, also, killing an enemy before Whirlwind ends resets the cooldown of Whirlwind
  • Sorcerer - Activating Unnatural Preservation removes Static Barrier's Deionize effect from you
  • Assassin - Force Shroud also applies to any ally you are guarding
  • Lightning Sorc - Crushing Darkness’s damage over time is increased and the chance that Forked Darkness causes Crushing Darkness to double-tick is improved
  • Madness Sorc - Death Field does more damage to all targets and spreads Force Slows effects
  • Corruption Sorc - Revivification heals more for each ally it affects
My main's a consular, a healer specifically. That spec's the only one where I felt sufficiently expert to comment in the class forum thread asking for suggestions. One of the suggestions made there is that we could (via two different items) choose between making the AoE heal affect more targets or do more healing to each target - this is a way to achieve both! I really like the idea of the AoE heal being better the more people gather in it. It incentivizes people paying attention to what's around them (get in the healing circle if you see it!) and coordinating around timed drops of circles, but also it asks us to think about the dangers of everyone bunching up in an area (taking into account the particular enemy / environment). It could end up punishing some players in some situations, adding an element of challenge. Kudos for some creative thought.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo > The Progenitor > Darth Malgus ||
Satisfying returns for class companions!
Especially companions of the long-neglected consular...
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

Lakemine
05.30.2019 , 07:27 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
My main's a consular, a healer specifically. That spec's the only one where I felt sufficiently expert to comment in the class forum thread asking for suggestions. One of the suggestions made there is that we could (via two different items) choose between making the AoE heal affect more targets or do more healing to each target - this is a way to achieve both! I really like the idea of the AoE heal being better the more people gather in it. It incentivizes people paying attention to what's around them (get in the healing circle if you see it!) and coordinating around timed drops of circles, but also it asks us to think about the dangers of everyone bunching up in an area (taking into account the particular enemy / environment). It could end up punishing some players in some situations, adding an element of challenge. Kudos for some creative thought.
So like Alex's heal in Heroes of the Storm? sounds cool!
I love Star Wars.

Lakemine
05.30.2019 , 07:35 PM | #4
One thing I will ask is how will other classes be effected by this? Because the stim boost idea in the Uprisings may have been a "cool" idea, but its kinda lame because it throws off the rotation you do as a dps. So hopefully these bonuses and tac items don't do that, but just supercharge, make more effective or cause a double hit of something, instead of just "Spam your fav ability!".

Btw, that shadow/assassin tank idea is AWESOME (yes I know it will throw balance out the window, still fun), will the other 2 tanks have something similar to compete? Like the guardian/jug selfheal while taking hits can be passed to the guarded player? Or saber reflect is passed along? (then again if they are guarding a tech user, how would that work? ) Or VG/PT sharing......I don't know? They don't really have a lot of DCDs, so maybe adrenaline rush?
I love Star Wars.

sharkfishman
05.30.2019 , 07:50 PM | #5
Just 1 quick request, based on previous test server experience during a major class-balance change such as this one in another MMO (OUCD):

Can we maybe do a quick overview of all classes on PTS, rather than 2 Week Sorc, 2 Week PT, etc.?

I know you think September is really far away, but trust me, you're not ready for how much work balancing this is going to be.

It's just really sad when certain classes get 4 months of fine-tuning and the last 2 or 3 are just thrown together the best you can.

If you insist on doing it the other way, please start with classes in need of love in PVP, such as PT and Sin. (I main a sniper, but even I feel bad for those guys). I don't say Jugg, because that's more a defensive thing than anything else.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

sharkfishman
05.30.2019 , 07:53 PM | #6
One last thing about all of this ...

Do you remember when healers were OP in PVP?

So... how are you planning on making certain moves EVEN MORE POWERFUL, without making us one-shot each other or turn into unkillable Gods?

Are you going to nerf the dps/heals/health we already have to compensate?
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

TrixxieTriss
05.30.2019 , 08:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Example Effects that could be found on these items for....
  • Inquisitor - The cooldown of Whirlwind is reduced, also, killing an enemy before Whirlwind ends resets the cooldown of Whirlwind
  • Sorcerer - Activating Unnatural Preservation removes Static Barrier's Deionize effect from you
  • Assassin - Force Shroud also applies to any ally you are guarding
  • Lightning Sorc - Crushing Darkness’s damage over time is increased and the chance that Forked Darkness causes Crushing Darkness to double-tick is improved
  • Madness Sorc - Death Field does more damage to all targets and spreads Force Slows effects
  • Corruption Sorc - Revivification heals more for each ally it affects
-eric
Edit : Disregard some of this post. The notes didn’t do the stream justice and it’s easy to misunderstand without listening to it.

The only thing I still think is still relevant is point 4 and point 3.
But it seems point 4 is supposed to have the effect I’m concerned about so it will be a very interesting time post launch with all the nerf calls.

End edit.

I know you said these are examples, but I feel I need to chime in, in case you are serious about some of these.

1. Whirlwind usually breaks on damage. So it would be impossible under the current system to kill someone before it ends. So this example is nonsensical unless you are making changes to how WW works?
2. Why would anyone want unnatural preservation to remove static barriers deionising effect? That would mean you would need to reapply it straight away?? Another nonsensical suggestion.
3. As much as it’s appreciated that you are looking at lightning Sorcs, crushing darkness is the least usable in pvp because it takes too long to cast if you have to continuously LoS. Adding more damage onto it is pointless for pvpers.
So I hope you have better ideas. AKA, the one you mentioned last month of making chain lightning only hit one target, but with higher burst.
Or if you want a crushing darkness one, make it activate instantly.
4. Madness Sorc. This is a great idea (if you are a madness Sorc), but I can already hear the nerf calls because of the “slow” affect being spammed on people when there are more than 1 madness Sorc in pvp. I think an ability like this will be similar to the force storm slow spam problem from a few years ago. It will make madness Sorcs a little OP for pvp.

Anyway. It’s great that you’ve given all this info to us, I just hope you guys are serious on taking our feed back on some things that might not be good.

DHTarez
05.30.2019 , 08:53 PM | #8
One thing I want to ask after watching the stream is why lock the set bonus to the shell?
That pretty much makes all existing legacy gear in the game worthless other than use an appearance.

Why not make the set bonus another type of slot in the gear that could then be moved to the whatever legacy gear you want to use as your "set" gear.? This would really help in identifying your gear sets the legacy bay when swapping or using gear on multiple characters.

Toraak
05.30.2019 , 10:04 PM | #9
I agree with the poster above this. I use specific Legacy sets for each spec (different for each one), by putting Set bonuses into Shells all of those sets (All 14 sets) become Obsolete except for appearance. You should make an extra slot in the gear solely for the set bonus (this slot adds 0 stats, just the set bonus)

Many of us spent Months/years getting all of these Legacy sets for all of our classes.
Referral Link: www.swtor.com/r/Q4Tp3P

TrixxieTriss
05.30.2019 , 10:20 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
I agree with the poster above this. I use specific Legacy sets for each spec (different for each one), by putting Set bonuses into Shells all of those sets (All 14 sets) become Obsolete except for appearance. You should make an extra slot in the gear solely for the set bonus (this slot adds 0 stats, just the set bonus)

Many of us spent Months/years getting all of these Legacy sets for all of our classes.
Valid point!! I’ve one and half cargo hold tabs of legacy gear, plus 150 collection outfits

Also what about CM gear? Do you really want us to stop buying it in favour of using in game shells?

Remember, not everyone opens outfit slots or plays space barbies. You will be alienating all those Cartel Market buyers and nerf your own income from the CM. Which I’m sure you don’t want to do