Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
05.16.2019 , 02:24 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

One of the things that has come up quite a bit since 5.10 is a number of Companion issues. I posted yesterday letting you know that one of the more prominent issues (ranged companions not attacking) was likely going to be fixed in 6.0. What I wanted to do was make a bit of a bigger post explaining what these issues are, their current status, and when they are likely to be fixed. Letís dive in.

Ranged Companions Not Attacking
This issue is a bit of an interesting case. The common belief is that this is a bug which was introduced in 5.10. That is understandable since it certainly became more noticeable with that update. However, this issue has actually been around since launch. After the reports we received from 5.10 we began doing a deep dive into what was going on. That is where we discovered a pretty substantial issue with how Companions were built which is causing this to happen. Due to this being an underlying issue with all Companions it requires a larger systemic change then just a standard bug fix which is the reason why the fix is taking so long.

An update from yesterday, I was being conservative in saying that it will be fixed for 6.0. Upon double checking with the team they believe that it may actually make it in before then in 5.10.4 in the summer. This is of course still dependent on testing and verification, but you may see it before 6.0 after all.

Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance
One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.

Companions are a critical part of SWTOR and so we take issues with them very seriously. We know that sometimes changes donít come as quick as you would like but know that we are working to get these types of issues resolved as fast as we can! We thank you for all of the reports around these issues as they were very helpful in isolating the root causes to work towards addressing them. And of course, thank you for your patience as we work to get them resolved.

Thanks everyone!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

kodrac
05.16.2019 , 02:38 PM | #2
Thanks for the info Eric. While we're on the topic of companions, any word on them getting their unique abilities back? i.e. Blizz's rocket launcher? There's a few others I just can't remember them off the top of my head.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Iíd find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

HoloTweed
05.16.2019 , 02:47 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Companion Ineffectiveness / Imbalance
One of the other issues that we hear about is that some Companions are ineffective in specific roles or imbalanced compared to other Companions. For 6.0 the team is making a full pass across all Companions to make a variety of updates. Most notably to address this very imbalance, update abilities, and more.
This is good news, but like most folks, I'm always willing to push things a little further.

When the team is doing its full pass for 6.0... is there ANY way that some of the original companions can get some of their original abilities restored? I know most people will cite HK-51's classic "assassinate" ability, but there were several others that were unique to certain characters in their classic roles, abilities that made those characters even more fun to play. (Ensign Temple had a minor force ability, as I recall.) If you're taking the time... might you restore some of those companion specific abilities to the proper role? Can Lokin turn into a rakghoul again?

These companions without some of their character abilities would be like Tharan Cedrax finally returning but unable to use Holiday. Is that why he's still gone?

I get that some characters might have different abilities post Eternal Empire... Guss Tuno having finally expanded his Jedi skills via story makes sense to now have Jedi abilities instead of his old smuggler-esque skills. But our other, beloved companions.. we miss some of the things that made them feel unique. I'm sure other forum members can list desirable abilities we'd love to see return better than I can.

In addition... I don't know the WHY behind it, but can you re-wire our companion's mouths to once again MOVE when they're speaking? It's a minor thing, but it's so immersion breaking to have a favorite companion look like a walking mannequin and talk without moving their mouths. What if we say "please" a LOT?

HoloTweed
05.16.2019 , 02:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Thanks for the info Eric. While we're on the topic of companions, any word on them getting their unique abilities back? i.e. Blizz's rocket launcher? There's a few others I just can't remember them off the top of my head.
Is this "great minds think alike" time?

kodrac
05.16.2019 , 02:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
Is this "great minds think alike" time?
Step Brothers moment.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Iíd find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

Estelindis
05.16.2019 , 03:05 PM | #6
What I wanted to do was make a bit of a bigger post explaining what these issues are, their current status, and when they are likely to be fixed.
Thanks, I have been curious about the causes of these issues. Your explanation makes a lot more sense than the idea that some sudden recent change had caused everything but you somehow couldn't just undo the change and restore things to how they were before.

At the same time... while I comprehend everything you've said... I very much do experience the bug as a recent thing. Until Ossus companions used to follow my characters around corners to find their targets, or would run to join my character if they were too far away. Now they do neither. I appreciate what you're saying, it's just hard to understand how this can be an issue since launch when it only seems to manifest itself this severely more recently.

Still, even if it makes little sense from the player perspective, it's good to get any insights into why things are the way they are. It helps us to understand why you make the decisions that you do.

Quote: Originally Posted by HoloTweed View Post
When the team is doing its full pass for 6.0... is there ANY way that some of the original companions can get some of their original abilities restored?

In addition... I don't know the WHY behind it, but can you re-wire our companion's mouths to once again MOVE when they're speaking?
Agreed on both fronts.
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~

PiiTarr
05.16.2019 , 03:13 PM | #7
Thanks for the update and explanation!

Elessara
05.16.2019 , 03:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
Thanks, I have been curious about the causes of these issues. Your explanation makes a lot more sense than the idea that some sudden recent change had caused everything but you somehow couldn't just undo the change and restore things to how they were before.

At the same time... while I comprehend everything you've said... I very much do experience the bug as a recent thing. Until Ossus companions used to follow my characters around corners to find their targets, or would run to join my character if they were too far away. Now they do neither. I appreciate what you're saying, it's just hard to understand how this can be an issue since launch when it only seems to manifest itself this severely more recently.

Still, even if it makes little sense from the player perspective, it's good to get any insights into why things are the way they are. It helps us to understand why you make the decisions that you do.

Agreed on both fronts.
I'd say my experience is the opposite of yours. Long before 5.10 I would notice that ranged companions especially would often NOT follow their targets if they got too far away or out of line of sight and ranged healing companions would not move closer to heal you if you got out of range. It seemed be kind of sporadic though ... sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. It just seemed to become worse more recently.

Jdast
05.16.2019 , 03:17 PM | #9
The common belief is that this is a bug which was introduced in 5.10. That is understandable since it certainly became more noticeable with that update. However, this issue has actually been around since launch. After the reports we received from 5.10 we began doing a deep dive into what was going on. That is where we discovered a pretty substantial issue with how Companions were built which is causing this to happen. Due to this being an underlying issue with all Companions it requires a larger systemic change then just a standard bug fix which is the reason why the fix is taking so long.
Eric, thank you for the update but two sources of concern.

1) It was much more pronounced in 5.10 -- but why? You say the issue has been around since launch, but I didn't notice it before 5.10. Like Estelindis said above, why did it become so much more noticeable in 5.10?

2) As others have pointed out -- it's not just range -- it impacts Melee LoS as well. In other words, even if they are 10m away, if an object or corner is between the companion and the bad monster, they will not respond to commands. As Yoda is my witness, that was not the case before 5.10.

I had not experienced (well, noticed) what one poster said about Vibrosword-using companions. Regardless, I'm happy you are doing a full review on companions for 6.0 so that there is some degree of equity (i.e., Treek not sucking and Shae not being overpowered).

Dasty

Estelindis
05.16.2019 , 03:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
I'd say my experience is the opposite of yours. Long before 5.10 I would notice that ranged companions especially would often NOT follow their targets if they got too far away or out of line of sight and ranged healing companions would not move closer to heal you if you got out of range. It seemed be kind of sporadic though ... sometimes they would, sometimes they wouldn't. It just seemed to become worse more recently.
Thanks, it's good to hear that others have had different experiences. Helps to make sense of it all!
|| My referral link || Trask Ulgo 🡢 The Progenitor 🡢 Darth Malgus ||
Let's Fix 6.0 Crafting
More love for class companions, please.
~~~Felix Iresso return discussion & fanfic~~~