Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

General Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
General Set Bonuses and Tactical Items
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
04.16.2019 , 10:09 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. This thread is going to be about a lot of new things, because this is about special effects for everyone. As a reminder, our goal in Onslaught is to introduce new Set Bonuses along with Tactical Items that can help you to play the way you want! For Disciplines, this is a bit easier as you pick your favorite part of that class and then try to do more of it. But when it comes to “everyone” that becomes a bit trickier as any set bonus or tactical has to be usable by everyone. That likely means that it can only affect a few different things:
  • Travel
  • Crafting
  • Harvesting
  • "Flurry” attacks
  • Rest and recharge skills
  • etc
For context:
  • Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Please use this thread to brainstorm any ideas that you have around what general set bonuses and tactical items you would like to see in the game. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

DarthEnrique
04.16.2019 , 10:17 AM | #2
Going with what I said here:
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthEnrique View Post
Here's a thought, how about a Tactical Item that boosts the defense of Inquisitors/Consulars so they aren't so squishy like they have been for years?
Trying to help my friend Ultimatedshadow out, please click his referral link. Thanks. http://www.swtor.com/r/5YzVTH

Stookydroid
04.16.2019 , 10:17 AM | #3
Give sorcs reflect plz

shyroman
04.16.2019 , 10:19 AM | #4
So this isn't entirely for everyone, but does apply to a lot of specs, specifically dot specs. As a tactical item, I would love an ability (could just be an entirely separate ability), that instantly does all of the dot damage on all targets at once. For example, if I applied a scorch to a target and used this ability, all remaining ticks of scorch that would have hit the target over the next X seconds would be applied instantly and scorch would be removed from the target. I would really make dotspread classes pressure with aoe too. If a madness sorc dotspread with deathfield and then immediately consumed every dot on all the targets that they spread to, it would apply immense pressure and would create some very interesting gameplay.

For balancing purposes, it might be worth making it so the ticks consumed with that ability cannot crit, so you'd be trading off overall damage for more burst and to prevent too high of damage hits (imagine if an entire scorch crit all at once). Also making the cooldown of this ability decently long, maybe like 1.5 minutes to make using it feel more satisfying and not just a rotational ability but still often enough where it doesn't feel like a 1 time ability like adrenals, kind of like recklessness. You'd want to use it as much as possible, but you'd want to time it correctly.
Ryann - Sniper | Ryannack - Sorcerer | Apophas - Marauder
Jesicca - Mercenary | Lindseey - Gunslinger
Origin - Honey Badgers
Star Forge

KendraP
04.16.2019 , 10:23 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Stookydroid View Post
Give sorcs reflect plz
I agree they need help defensively, but please no more reflects. That used to be my guardians thing. You know before another certain class took our identifying move.

no I'm not still bitter!

LeeThorogood
04.16.2019 , 10:34 AM | #6
Class buffs no longer have a duration, they last until "clicked-off" by the player or the player is defeated/killed.

FlameYOL
04.16.2019 , 11:03 AM | #7
Something that might increase the defense of a squishy class can be helpful, a set that increases critical chances for crafting and gathering/harvesting/mission crew skills would also be good to have.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Rockula
04.16.2019 , 11:16 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

-eric
I'm still unclear on what a Tactical Item looks like.
Is it a mod that I add to a piece of armor ?
Is it a consumable ?
Is it a 15th piece of gear ?
Does it have a cooldown ?

I'm also fuzzy on how these are different than the Utility system already in place.

Clarifications welcome!
Thanks,
Brian
Brian - cohost of The Bad Feeling Podcast
<Has A Bad Feeling> and <Loves Twi'Leks and Spice> guilds on Star Forge

Balameb
04.16.2019 , 11:18 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. This thread is going to be about a lot of new things, because this is about special effects for everyone. As a reminder, our goal in Onslaught is to introduce new Set Bonuses along with Tactical Items that can help you to play the way you want! For Disciplines, this is a bit easier as you pick your favorite part of that class and then try to do more of it. But when it comes to “everyone” that becomes a bit trickier as any set bonus or tactical has to be usable by everyone. That likely means that it can only affect a few different things:
  • Travel
  • Crafting
  • Harvesting
  • "Flurry” attacks
  • Rest and recharge skills
  • etc
For context:

Please use this thread to brainstorm any ideas that you have around what general set bonuses and tactical items you would like to see in the game. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric
Well, i was kind of expecting a little more than that. What you have described for tactical items, it looks just too close to some of the options we already have with some of utilities. Tactical items is probably taking a lot of work to the dev team and it seems a complete waste if the effect is something so minor as what is described (changing ONE skill).
My hopes for tactical items were more close to this:
* A considerable buff to one aspect in general(not limited to a single skill): Defensives / Single target Damage / AoE dmg / Healing / Range / Movility

About general bonus set, from those options i would say that one for Crafting/Harvesting sounds very interesting for me.

Now, all these set bonus and items options do came with a caveat: inventory space. I know its difficult, but are there plans to increase the character inventory? An specific tab for gear would be nice
Get 7 days as Sub and some free stuff --> Refferal link

Eloi_BG
04.16.2019 , 11:54 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rockula View Post
I'm still unclear on what a Tactical Item looks like.
Is it a mod that I add to a piece of armor ?
Is it a consumable ?
Is it a 15th piece of gear ?
Does it have a cooldown ?

I'm also fuzzy on how these are different than the Utility system already in place.

Clarifications welcome!
Thanks,
Brian
It's kind of clear in their post:
"One of the ways that we’re adding this depth is with an entirely new type of gear slot – Tactical items"

It is a 15th piece of gear. It is not a mod, doesn't have a cooldown (unless they work stuff in like clickable relics), it is not a consumable. It is in a way kind of like the utility system. However, utilities are not "build defining", these items will be. They modify how an ability works. Utilities buff some abilities, but don't (in nearly all cases) redefine how they work and when they are used. In essence though, I guess those items will be some kind of ultra-meaningful utility.

Another main difference is since it's gear, you got to obtain it (and utilities are just there to be selected).
Nemio the Acceptable Player