Hutt Ball type maps pops 2 out of 3 maps constantly

TrixxieTriss

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue a better way to queue would to not omit maps, but set preferred maps. For example, I really like hypergates (though they never freaking pop for me) and Civil War maps, so I would probably set those to desired. That would put those on the top in terms of what I am in priority for. Then the game tries to put together people with similar preferences first, and if that is not possible they do the majority. Then they could also add a shorter queue time + trash rewards for players who chose to not force a preference (ie the rewards for queuing for all FP/uprisings at once).

Now, this obviously means you would still get HB pops even though you don't want them, however, it also means that the system is pushing more for those specific maps when possible. Though can we please have rewards added to the challenge pvp thing, I don't want much, just something, maybe green jawa scrap?

I would argue a better way to queue would to not omit maps, but set preferred maps. For example, I really like hypergates (though they never freaking pop for me) and Civil War maps, so I would probably set those to desired. That would put those on the top in terms of what I am in priority for. Then the game tries to put together people with similar preferences first, and if that is not possible they do the majority. Then they could also add a shorter queue time + trash rewards for players who chose to not force a preference (ie the rewards for queuing for all FP/uprisings at once).

Now, this obviously means you would still get HB pops even though you don't want them, however, it also means that the system is pushing more for those specific maps when possible. Though can we please have rewards added to the challenge pvp thing, I don't want much, just something, maybe green jawa scrap?

I’ve another thread that could also provide a solution if you don’t want to play HB

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=961368

It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one who is tired of this Hutt Ball madness.

First of all: If I get a Hutt Ball pop, I'm instantly leaving it. I never liked Hutt Ball type matches and I never will.

With Hutt Ball pops having become the overwhelming majority of all random warzone pops (5-8 Huttball matches in a row are not uncommon these days) I find my self spending most of my online time with waiting for a warzone to pop up that I actually really want to play.

I so much would love to be able to queue for warzones I like, instead of constantly beeing thrown into warzones I simply don't want to play and will leave instantly anyway.

The current Hutt Ball cancer is so tedious that pretty often I just log off and do something else, while usually I would have spent the evening playing swtor instead.

Edited by Avianatorsparkma

The current Hutt Ball cancer is so tedious that pretty often I just log off and do something else, while usually I would have spent the evening playing swtor instead.

I wonder how many people do this now when forced to partake in activities they wish not to partake in? Options and choices are good. The more players are force-funneled into things the less enjoyable the ride is.

I’ve done a whole week of pvp tracking and I’m recording every map pop.

Preliminary stats are showing about 50% pop rate for total HB maps. But surprisingly, Void Star and Hyper Gates pop the most out of the other 8 man maps, then OPG (which I hate)

Sadly, arena actually pops the most of all because of the times I can play.

I will keep tracking until the 19th of March so I get a bigger sample (especially over the weekend)

One thing I have noticed and it might just be coincidence, but every HB match seems to pop two at a time. What do I mean by this? When it pops, I often check the “who” window for the map type to see if I know who’s on the other team. Most of the time there are two HB matches being played at once (usually same map). But the same can’t be said for other maps, where it’s usually only one. Which begs the question, is HB set as a priority?

Its nuts you can't choose which wz to play. Never understood this.

Imagine PvErs had to play Hammer station all day because flashpoints pops randomly.

That has also happened, 3 Hammers in a row... what a nightmare... but at least you can choose if you want to have it in the que or not... same should work for BGs... toggle the BGs you want to play

but i digress...

Just establish some kind of Battlemaster already, where we can choose the BG we want to que for ( you know... WoW style )...

Huttball really gets out of hand with the frequency it pops up.. i m an Odessen Proving Grounds fan, but wasn t able to play it more than one time last week...

As soon Huttball pops up (and it does a lot), i leave the BG...

totaly unneccessary... same with domination maps in GSF

Its nuts you can't choose which wz to play. Never understood this.

Imagine PvErs had to play Hammer station all day because flashpoints pops randomly.

I made this thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=961368 To give Bioware a plan on how they could do this without affecting pop times

I have no expectation they will do it, but I have asked Musco if he can pass it onto the team and acknowledge he has done so.

Unfortunately it seems he’s either not read the thread or hasn’t passed on the info if he has. I was hopping this “re-engagement” of communication would have warranted a yellow post by now.

I even went so far as PMing him on Monday to ask him to read the thread and make a yellow post once he’s passed it on.

I’ve not had a reply to my PM and there is no yellow post in that thread. So I’m wondering if he even read my PM or if I’m on his ignore list? (I hope it’s just because he’s super busy and not because I’m on ignore).

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

There has been some good discussion in thise topic about both how you believe our map selection works right now in matchmaking, and thoughts on where we can improve it. I want to add some clarity to the former, and then we can talk about the latter.

How does map selection work?

This is pretty simple on the surface. When a player (or players) queues for an unranked Warzone the matchmaker does two things (I am ONLY talking about map selection here, not about what the matchmaker does to work towards even teams).

1. Looking at what matches are currently active and the number of players in the queue, the matchmaker decides whether it will pop an Arena or a Warzone.
  2. The matchmaker then rolls in that game type pool for which map it will pop. All maps have the exact same weighting.

This means that Huttball and 3-pt control both have the highest odds of being selected since they each have 3 maps respectively (Novare could be argued that it is separate from Yavin/Alderaan though). But ultimately each individual map has the exact same chance of rolling here.

How can we improve this experience?

There have been a lot of great ideas in this thread, and definitely keep the ideas coming. This is a topic we have talked about a lot internally (allowing players to select exactly which Warzone they want to play, for example). There are some challenges with that level of granularity (queue times mostly). We have talked about adding exclusions as well, so a player could pick 2-3 Warzones they don’t want and then they fall into the rest of the pool. These changes are fairly large in what it would take to implement and so they would need to happen as a part of other large systemic changes. This in no way means we won’t ever do it, just that it would need to be in a large update and it isn’t currently planned on the schedule.

With that said, there are possibly some smaller fixes the team can do in the interim which they are discussing. We may be able to tweak the individual pop values on each map in the PvP queue which would give more weighting towards game type, then map, for example. I don’t have any specifics right now but the team is in active discussion on this topic and I will pass on more info as I have it.

Question for you all to give us your feedback on...

Matchmaking weighting could effectively work one of two ways.

• We can give even weighting to individual maps. As in, every single map has the same chance to pop so you see more map diversity. This is how it works today.
  • We can give equal weighting to each game type. As in, you will see less map diversity overall, but you are more likely to see each map type more often. AKA you will see Voidstar as much as you see Huttball.

Let us know your thoughts! Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming.

-eric

Hey everyone,

There has been some good discussion in thise topic about both how you believe our map selection works right now in matchmaking, and thoughts on where we can improve it. I want to add some clarity to the former, and then we can talk about the latter.

This is pretty simple on the surface. When a player (or players) queues for an unranked Warzone the matchmaker does two things (I am ONLY talking about map selection here, not about what the matchmaker does to work towards even teams).

1. Looking at what matches are currently active and the number of players in the queue, the matchmaker decides whether it will pop an Arena or a Warzone.
  2. The matchmaker then rolls in that game type pool for which map it will pop. All maps have the exact same weighting.

This means that Huttball and 3-pt control both have the highest odds of being selected since they each have 3 maps respectively (Novare could be argued that it is separate from Yavin/Alderaan though). But ultimately each individual map has the exact same chance of rolling here.

There have been a lot of great ideas in this thread, and definitely keep the ideas coming. This is a topic we have talked about a lot internally (allowing players to select exactly which Warzone they want to play, for example). There are some challenges with that level of granularity (queue times mostly). We have talked about adding exclusions as well, so a player could pick 2-3 Warzones they don’t want and then they fall into the rest of the pool. These changes are fairly large in what it would take to implement and so they would need to happen as a part of other large systemic changes. This in no way means we won’t ever do it, just that it would need to be in a large update and it isn’t currently planned on the schedule.

With that said, there are possibly some smaller fixes the team can do in the interim which they are discussing. We may be able to tweak the individual pop values on each map in the PvP queue which would give more weighting towards game type, then map, for example. I don’t have any specifics right now but the team is in active discussion on this topic and I will pass on more info as I have it.

• We can give even weighting to individual maps. As in, every single map has the same chance to pop so you see more map diversity. This is how it works today.
  • We can give equal weighting to each game type. As in, you will see less map diversity overall, but you are more likely to see each map type more often. AKA you will see Voidstar as much as you see Huttball.

-eric

Hi Eric, thanks for clarifying things regarding how maps pop and what you guys have been discussing internally. If there's a way to make Voidstar pop more frequently but not to the point HB now pops that would be great, lol.

Honestly I like most maps, it's just frustrating when one map seems to rarely pop while others pop non-stop. If there's a way to add other maps into the pop rotation more instead of what seems to be mostly HB/OPG/Yavin I am for that.

Until you can consider letting people either choose their maps or choose maps to pull out of their own personal rotation which I think would be the best, then I'd prefer seeing a more varied rotation on maps than what we get right now.

Hey everyone,

-eric

Eric-

Thank you for sharing how this works and asking for our thoughts. Personally, i would love it if we could have a preference of 8v8 maps or 4v4. Not exactly meaning all our matches give us 4v4 or 8v8 but perhaps increase the chance for arena's. I know some people love 4v4 in regs, some people hate it with a passion. Being able to pick a preference would be great so they get more maps that they enjoy.

Next, i love the idea of being able to omit specific maps. With the current map pool i believe removing two maps people in my group or I hate would be perfect. Normally i play every match out for objectives and have fun, but sometimes it seems that we get one map way too often a night. Which brings up your question for feedback.

I believe right now weighting each map evenly (current set up) is not working the best it can be. Even though voidstar has the chance to get a hutball, there are three different hutballs and only one voidstar. So we can get different hutballs but players still get hutball fatigue. I feel it would be better if you weighted each game type the same it would feel more diverse. Switching between a hutball and three-node map could feel better.This does bring up the question, how will maps that are one-off work with this system? Odesson, voidstar, hypergate, all are their own type, or will they be thrown in as a group?

On a ranked note, can the devs bring back a re-que time lock-out window again? People seem to be leaving ranked matches early and then re-queing right away. It used to be that players had to wait 15 minutes (Just like group finder) to re que for a ranked match. Currently, this only works when people vote to kick.

Some nights, the map picking feels fine, others it feels like the same map over and over again. Personally, i would love to see a preference of type of map and ability to omit certain maps before diving into type of map pops. thanks for giving us some insight.

Hey everyone,

OPTION 2

-eric

Hi Eric,

I really appreciate you diving into this thread and topic, so thank you.

It’s great to get some insight on how the queue system works and it means we won’t have to keep trying to randomly guess or come up with theories.

If I had to choose between the two options you’ve presented to tweak the current queue system, then I would go for number two.

But with the nine current maps we have 3 Hutt balls, 3 control point maps and then 3 uniquely different maps.

My only concern is maps like Odessen or Hypergates or Void Star, which fall into their “own” category, would be given too much weight and they would end up popping more than any of the other 6 maps. Which leads back to a similar problem we see with Hutt Ball.

I get that we all have pet favourites and pet hates with the maps. But some maps and types are disliked more than others.

There is a large percentage of players who don’t even want to play the objectives and it’s hard enough trying to get them to play 3 point control maps or HGs or VS with out death matching, but at least you can sort of carry them if they don’t try to play the objectives because the combat vs objectives kind of balances out more.

The same can’t be said for Hutt Ball or Odessen. These maps are totally objective based and the team doing the most death matching will nearly always lose. Sadly this is the case in most matches because pvp for a lot of people is more about the fighting than the objectives.

From my experience, there are maps that have more people leave as soon as they pop. All 3 Hutt Balls fall into that category and so does Odessen.

I’m not sure if you can look at internal numbers to see how many people leave what specific maps before the match starts, but I’m guessing those 4 maps would be near the top.

I think if you are going to look at the second option, then you need to keep it so that the 3 Hutt Ball maps are the only ones grouped together as one type. All the other maps should continue to carry the same weight as they do now or we will be back to square one.

There was a “poll thread” you created awhile ago to ask players what their preferences were with Arenas. Is it possible you could do a similar poll regarding 8 man maps to see what the players prefer.

I created a thread with some ideas on how to allow pvpers more match choices and how it could work so it wouldn’t overly impact on pop times. Here is the link : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=961368

If you could please get the team to have a look and let us know if something like this is even possible.

No one wants to see pop times slip too much, but I think you might be surprised that more than just some of us would be willing to wait and extra minute or two if it allows us more choice.

Anyway, thank you again for diving into this topic.

Trixx

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Hey everyone,

-eric

I'll put it in this way.

One night, recently, I logged in to do some wz, I had 4 HB's pops in a row and 5th was Vandin.

I resolved this by quiting the game and doing something else. I wasn't triggered or did a ragequit, it's just that this happens so often, that I lose my desire for playing SWTOR and most of the time I play Warzones.

Give maps an eqal chance of popping or give us an option to select which warzones we don't want to play.

I always liked HB's until it started popping like insane and in row's.

One time, few years back, I hated Voidstar 'cause every other wz was Voidstar, now I'm happy when I see one in 10 wz's, cause 5 of them are HB's/Vandin...

Hey everyone,

-eric

I'm voting for 2nd variant - less map diversity, more map type diversity. I'm definitely tired of huttbals of all sort.

But it's only about huttball map type. I'd like to see rest of 8x8 maps counts as separate type.

Edited by BlevatToshnit
/

Eric-

Personally, i would love it if we could have a preference of 8v8 maps or 4v4. Not exactly meaning all our matches give us 4v4 or 8v8 but perhaps increase the chance for arena's. I know some people love 4v4 in regs, some people hate it with a passion. Being able to pick a preference would be great so they get more maps that they enjoy.

This, exactly this. 4v4 and 8v8 are 2 completely different playstyles and while all classes/specs are fine for 8v8 that's not true for 4v4.

I think a lot of the problems with the objective (8v8) maps is due to people who just want to deathmatch. Let people que up for only 4v4, only 8v8, or both.

If it slows down the que times that's fine with me. I already stopped que'ing while levelling because only 4v4's pop. I don't care if it's only a 5 minute wait for a pop instead of 20 minutes when nothing ever pops that I want to play. When 4v4's pop for my 70s I insta-leave the warzone and stop que'ing.

Thanks for the breakdown. I personally think the % chance for each achievement-included warzone should hold higher potential to queue pop, as those actually have more value to many players beyond just the pvp they provide - which all warzones can provide. In addition, ive always viewed 4v4 unranked as extremely valuable as a transition from unranked to ranked play, so they need to still have a relevant frequency to queue pop to offer that. Perhaps a preference toggle/setting, similar to story/vet/master chapters is available, as previously mentioned would suffice for allowing each player to have more of what they seek [8s vs 4s), but maybe not letting players toggle/select specific maps to exclude. And again, due to the chance that the toggle selection creates a significantly high queue time, it should probably only be a preference, not a guaranteed queue type.

Eric,

I like where this is head and I like a future option of maybe deselecting say huttball.

As for the current fix, I agree with Trixx. I think the only maps that should be group are the huttballs as it’s really the unique outlier (well that and OPG). I believe all 3 huttballs combined weight should equal each one of the other maps. Personally from what I have heard and my own opinion, is that most people don’t mind civil war vs yavin. And with the changes you made to yavin it does have a little bit of different play than civil war. Besides I think people’s problem with yavin is just FPS drop due to the foliage.

-eric

My personal preference would be the second Option. And Having Novarre in it own group and not with Civil War and Yavin. I find Novarre to be very different even if it also 3 node cap.

This way there would be 6 groups:

1/6 for HB (3 HB options)

1/6 for (Civil War+Yavin)

1/6 for Novarre

1/6 Hypergates

1/6 Voidstar

1/6 OPG