Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hutt Ball type maps pops 2 out of 3 maps constantly

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Hutt Ball type maps pops 2 out of 3 maps constantly
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Avianatorsparkma
03.12.2019 , 06:55 AM | #31
It's a relief to know that I'm not the only one who is tired of this Hutt Ball madness.

First of all: If I get a Hutt Ball pop, I'm instantly leaving it. I never liked Hutt Ball type matches and I never will.

With Hutt Ball pops having become the overwhelming majority of all random warzone pops (5-8 Huttball matches in a row are not uncommon these days) I find my self spending most of my online time with waiting for a warzone to pop up that I actually really want to play.

I so much would love to be able to queue for warzones I like, instead of constantly beeing thrown into warzones I simply don't want to play and will leave instantly anyway.

The current Hutt Ball cancer is so tedious that pretty often I just log off and do something else, while usually I would have spent the evening playing swtor instead.

Lhancelot
03.12.2019 , 10:43 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Avianatorsparkma View Post
The current Hutt Ball cancer is so tedious that pretty often I just log off and do something else, while usually I would have spent the evening playing swtor instead.
I wonder how many people do this now when forced to partake in activities they wish not to partake in? Options and choices are good. The more players are force-funneled into things the less enjoyable the ride is.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

TrixxieTriss
03.12.2019 , 04:11 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I wonder how many people do this now when forced to partake in activities they wish not to partake in? Options and choices are good. The more players are force-funneled into things the less enjoyable the ride is.
I find myself doing it more and more.

TrixxieTriss
03.12.2019 , 05:18 PM | #34
I’ve done a whole week of pvp tracking and I’m recording every map pop.

Preliminary stats are showing about 50% pop rate for total HB maps. But surprisingly, Void Star and Hyper Gates pop the most out of the other 8 man maps, then OPG (which I hate)

Sadly, arena actually pops the most of all because of the times I can play.

I will keep tracking until the 19th of March so I get a bigger sample (especially over the weekend)

One thing I have noticed and it might just be coincidence, but every HB match seems to pop two at a time. What do I mean by this? When it pops, I often check the “who” window for the map type to see if I know who’s on the other team. Most of the time there are two HB matches being played at once (usually same map). But the same can’t be said for other maps, where it’s usually only one. Which begs the question, is HB set as a priority?

Banderal
03.12.2019 , 06:32 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
I wonder how many people do this now when forced to partake in activities they wish not to partake in?
<Raises hand.>

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Kinaputten
03.13.2019 , 04:33 AM | #36
Its nuts you can't choose which wz to play. Never understood this.

Imagine PvErs had to play Hammer station all day because flashpoints pops randomly.

Dimitir
03.13.2019 , 07:41 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinaputten View Post

Imagine PvErs had to play Hammer station all day because flashpoints pops randomly.
That has also happened, 3 Hammers in a row... what a nightmare... but at least you can choose if you want to have it in the que or not... same should work for BGs... toggle the BGs you want to play
but i digress...
Just establish some kind of Battlemaster already, where we can choose the BG we want to que for ( you know... WoW style )...
Huttball really gets out of hand with the frequency it pops up.. i m an Odessen Proving Grounds fan, but wasn t able to play it more than one time last week...
As soon Huttball pops up (and it does a lot), i leave the BG...
totaly unneccessary... same with domination maps in GSF

TrixxieTriss
03.13.2019 , 05:35 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Kinaputten View Post

I made this thread : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=961368 To give Bioware a plan on how they could do this without affecting pop times

I have no expectation they will do it, but I have asked Musco if he can pass it onto the team and acknowledge he has done so.

Unfortunately it seems he’s either not read the thread or hasn’t passed on the info if he has. I was hopping this “re-engagement” of communication would have warranted a yellow post by now.
I even went so far as PMing him on Monday to ask him to read the thread and make a yellow post once he’s passed it on.
I’ve not had a reply to my PM and there is no yellow post in that thread. So I’m wondering if he even read my PM or if I’m on his ignore list? (I hope it’s just because he’s super busy and not because I’m on ignore).

Zerileth
03.14.2019 , 04:38 AM | #39
Just being honest:

Wen: PVP night before On no lawn and cocernt. (edit: was I drunk? Wth did I just type? O.O)
/March 13

Hb
Hb
Hb
Yav
Odesen
Yav
Nov
Hb
Odes
Hb
Arena
Hb
. <--------just this little red dot

EricMusco
03.15.2019 , 08:52 AM | #40 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

There has been some good discussion in thise topic about both how you believe our map selection works right now in matchmaking, and thoughts on where we can improve it. I want to add some clarity to the former, and then we can talk about the latter.

How does map selection work?
This is pretty simple on the surface. When a player (or players) queues for an unranked Warzone the matchmaker does two things (I am ONLY talking about map selection here, not about what the matchmaker does to work towards even teams).
  1. Looking at what matches are currently active and the number of players in the queue, the matchmaker decides whether it will pop an Arena or a Warzone.
  2. The matchmaker then rolls in that game type pool for which map it will pop. All maps have the exact same weighting.

This means that Huttball and 3-pt control both have the highest odds of being selected since they each have 3 maps respectively (Novare could be argued that it is separate from Yavin/Alderaan though). But ultimately each individual map has the exact same chance of rolling here.

How can we improve this experience?
There have been a lot of great ideas in this thread, and definitely keep the ideas coming. This is a topic we have talked about a lot internally (allowing players to select exactly which Warzone they want to play, for example). There are some challenges with that level of granularity (queue times mostly). We have talked about adding exclusions as well, so a player could pick 2-3 Warzones they don’t want and then they fall into the rest of the pool. These changes are fairly large in what it would take to implement and so they would need to happen as a part of other large systemic changes. This in no way means we won’t ever do it, just that it would need to be in a large update and it isn’t currently planned on the schedule.

With that said, there are possibly some smaller fixes the team can do in the interim which they are discussing. We may be able to tweak the individual pop values on each map in the PvP queue which would give more weighting towards game type, then map, for example. I don’t have any specifics right now but the team is in active discussion on this topic and I will pass on more info as I have it.

Question for you all to give us your feedback on...
Matchmaking weighting could effectively work one of two ways.
  • We can give even weighting to individual maps. As in, every single map has the same chance to pop so you see more map diversity. This is how it works today.
  • We can give equal weighting to each game type. As in, you will see less map diversity overall, but you are more likely to see each map type more often. AKA you will see Voidstar as much as you see Huttball.

Let us know your thoughts! Thanks everyone, keep the feedback coming.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]