Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why does Lana have FOUR different face models?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why does Lana have FOUR different face models?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheRandomWolf
03.10.2019 , 08:34 PM | #1
Lana Beniko was first introduced in the "Shadow of Revan" expansion. From what I could find online, her looks were poorly received by the community. During KOTFE's development, Lana went through a major overhaul but ended up being changed alongside Senya when KOTET hit the shelves. And just recently they added yet another overhaul (this time optional) to her character.

I'm just curious as to why this was the case. You can compare them down below:

https://i.imgur.com/VgLNRrP.jpg
I'm a content creator who makes general videos, tutorials, comparisons, trailers, and machinimas for SWTOR. Please show your support by using my referral link as I would be most grateful! You will gain seven additional days to your subscription and some other goodies! You can find more information on the following F.A.Q.

IoNonSoEVero
03.10.2019 , 09:22 PM | #2
To be fair I don't think the fourth one, which is horrible IMHO, was a deliberate overhaul of her character model. The Lana that appears in the game trailers and by default in cut scenes the game is still #3. It wasn't an "overhaul" but the devs being lazy and not bothering to make the dressable model exactly the same as the character depicted in the game.

They pulled the same thing with Senya and Koth; their dressable models don't look the same as the characters are seen in the game if you pull the customization from them.

FlameYOL
03.11.2019 , 12:43 AM | #3
Likely because the body model wasn't customizable so they made another one.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Seireeni
03.11.2019 , 07:29 AM | #4
I liked SoR Lana the best. Pity we can't have that one as a customization or something.

But yeah, I agree that the last change was likely due to needing to have another model so she could be customized. The other two look like they just tried to improve on her looks. Many people didn't like SoR Lana, and at least I think #3 is a huge improvement to #2.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Darth Malgus - And some alts on Satele Shan and Star Forge - The Firslay Legacy
referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/J24zRp

Rion_Starkiller
03.11.2019 , 10:34 AM | #5
They all look about the same to me, except #2. Could it be lighting/shadow?
Beruhl / Zenovia / Lobotomy / Sejanos / Warpunk
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

Lhancelot
03.11.2019 , 12:15 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
They all look about the same to me, except #2. Could it be lighting/shadow?
You know if you took 4 photos of your own face taken over a span of a few years, then lined the pictures up side by side you might look fairly different in each one too.

I agree with Rion_Starhealer. I think you guys are being too hard on poor Lana, she can't help that she has aged and her face has changed. Let's just chalk it up to poor lighting, shall we?
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

aerockyul
03.11.2019 , 12:52 PM | #7
3 is my favorite. I think they nailed the eyes when that was the main complaint from 1 iirc. But I hate the giant hulking armor she wears. So it's either keep her with that green trash bag or put her in something cooler but get a helmet or hooded armor to minimize looking at that hairstyle, which is my main problem with 4.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, SelaunaKahntara, Kaytee'roxx
Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire, Dani Clarke
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

CharlesBoyd
03.11.2019 , 12:54 PM | #8 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I don't recall a new face being added between KOTFE and KOTET, but it's possible someone went in and touched up the textures a bit and I've just forgotten. As others have mentioned, the transition from the first to the second was to show the passage of time - Lana is the first character you see when you're pulled out of carbonite, so having her very visibly different helps to convey that a lot has happened.

As for the final face, y'all already know it's to make her customizable, but I'll give a bit more detail there: KOTFE/KOTET Lana wasn't constructed the way our Player characters and most NPCs are made. She was a totally custom model like Arcann, Vaylin, Valkorion, etc. Customizable characters have different technical requirements and limitations, so in order to make her customizable, a new version of her head had to be made; those technical differences are the main reasons she looks a bit different in that version.
Charles Boyd | Creative Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

FlameYOL
03.11.2019 , 02:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
I don't recall a new face being added between KOTFE and KOTET, but it's possible someone went in and touched up the textures a bit and I've just forgotten. As others have mentioned, the transition from the first to the second was to show the passage of time - Lana is the first character you see when you're pulled out of carbonite, so having her very visibly different helps to convey that a lot has happened.

As for the final face, y'all already know it's to make her customizable, but I'll give a bit more detail there: KOTFE/KOTET Lana wasn't constructed the way our Player characters and most NPCs are made. She was a totally custom model like Arcann, Vaylin, Valkorion, etc. Customizable characters have different technical requirements and limitations, so in order to make her customizable, a new version of her head had to be made; those technical differences are the main reasons she looks a bit different in that version.
Thanks for explaining things, Charles. I always appreciate when you give us reasons as to why the changes were made!
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Darittha
03.11.2019 , 02:39 PM | #10
last one is still the best.that one is tied to customization.