Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Exploit Maintenance Today

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
03.06.2019 , 06:02 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

Our maintenance this morning was ultimately to address an exploit that popped up in game. In short, this exploit would allow a player for a brief period of time (10-15 minutes) to be completely invulnerable to damage in most gameplay, even a Ranked Warzone.

Since it has been a while since we had an exploit out in the wild I wanted to post a few reminders about what to do with an exploit:
  • If you hear about the existence of an exploit, DO NOT TEST IT YOURSELF. You are risking action being taken against your account.
  • Immediately report the exploit to BW staff only, and privately. You can do this via in-game ticket and I recommend sending myself a PM here on the forums.
  • Do not post about any exploit on forums, it is against the forum rules and can lead to action being taken against your account.
Now that the exploit has been extinguished we will begin the process of looking into exactly who exploited, when, how many times, and to what gain. Once we have that information we will then take appropriate action against those accounts. I do want to thank all of you as both privately and in the forums (bad bad, don't do) many of you reported this to us which allowed us to work on addressing it.

One question that does come up around exploits is why we aren't more communicative about them as we discover them. Although I completely understand the desire for us to acknowledge them so that you know we are working on them, the truth is that as soon as we post about it publicly we greatly raise the profile of that exploit which then causes more players to "check it out" for themselves. For that reason we stay quiet, work to resolve it as fast as possible, and then report back.

Thanks everyone .

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Foambreaker
03.06.2019 , 06:52 PM | #2
Burn the witches!!!
Only bads need to defend PvP advantages...

FlameYOL
03.06.2019 , 07:09 PM | #3
Thanks for the update, Eric. It's good to know why we had a maintenance today. Good luck on dealing with remaining exploits.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

DzastinBiberi
03.07.2019 , 12:24 AM | #4
One question that does come up around exploits is why we aren't more communicative about them as we discover them. Although I completely understand the desire for us to acknowledge them so that you know we are working on them, the truth is that as soon as we post about it publicly we greatly raise the profile of that exploit which then causes more players to "check it out" for themselves.

There's also another side of this coin.

For example, some player could have activated this not knowing what happened and why and could get banned for it.

So yeah, it's better to inform us players so that if it happens, we could report it and write to you guys which actions in the game activated this exploit.

That could differ those players from ppl who used it on purpose and to their advantage.

DarthCasus
03.07.2019 , 02:53 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by DzastinBiberi View Post
One question that does come up around exploits is why we aren't more communicative about them as we discover them. Although I completely understand the desire for us to acknowledge them so that you know we are working on them, the truth is that as soon as we post about it publicly we greatly raise the profile of that exploit which then causes more players to "check it out" for themselves.

There's also another side of this coin.

For example, some player could have activated this not knowing what happened and why and could get banned for it.

So yeah, it's better to inform us players so that if it happens, we could report it and write to you guys which actions in the game activated this exploit.

That could differ those players from ppl who used it on purpose and to their advantage.
But let's be honest, most players would tell other players before sending in a ticket if it weren't detrimental and works in their favor.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop

UlaVii
03.07.2019 , 04:07 AM | #6
How many seasons of ranked PvP results are likely to be affected by this?

Is there any way you can factor this into the season 10 rewards?

Can you tell if any guilds were using this for their nightmare raid sales runs?

Can you tell us how widely it was used at all?

Is your only way to check this based on the 2-3 videos of people using this that were posted or do you have a way you can check globally for usage of this specific exploit?

Desplain
03.07.2019 , 05:43 AM | #7
Hi Eric,

I would like to know if the following behavior is exploit using:

WZ: Huttball / the pit

One member of the opponent team graps the ball. runs towards our goalline, jumps into the
pit and runs at full speed into the wall beneath the goalline!

Suddenly he starts to stutter (or what do you call this) and respawns at our goalline.

These players repeat the whole procedure till they have won the WZ.

I think this isn't a fair behavior and maybe you should look into it.
May the Force be with you.

merovejec
03.07.2019 , 06:31 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by UlaVii View Post
Can you tell if any guilds were using this for their nightmare raid sales runs?
I was for a brief moment of time and boss mechanics would still kill you. Any 0 damage hit would still kill the player.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 68130

Balameb
03.07.2019 , 07:29 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
I was for a brief moment of time and boss mechanics would still kill you. Any 0 damage hit would still kill the player.
Yes, but not everything is about avoiding instant 0 damage kills mechanics. If that ware the case you would practically not need healers, at least not two.

And about people geting it by accident, very possible. But from what i read not likely to get it sistematically by accident; logs can tell who used/abused it.
Get 7 days as Sub and some free stuff --> Refferal link

Loranae
03.07.2019 , 07:36 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Desplain View Post
Hi Eric,

I would like to know if the following behavior is exploit using:

WZ: Huttball / the pit

One member of the opponent team graps the ball. runs towards our goalline, jumps into the
pit and runs at full speed into the wall beneath the goalline!

Suddenly he starts to stutter (or what do you call this) and respawns at our goalline.

These players repeat the whole procedure till they have won the WZ.

I think this isn't a fair behavior and maybe you should look into it.
I noticed this myself, adding that most of the time they also use the run buff from the pit, combined with all their run bufs and run against the wall so fast that they are up on the wall after some secs, even when none of their team or my team is up on the wall to help them.
Anthéa-Kalystea-Ante'Alba-Miréio-Talhea-
Lumina Umbra : Et lux illuminat umbra
And the light illuminates the shade