Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR Deserves A Revival: More Funding, Resources and Manpower

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR Deserves A Revival: More Funding, Resources and Manpower
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
02.19.2019 , 08:13 AM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
This is what I don't get. Tthe SW franchise is growing everyday and more and more people are getting interested. Why not try to get fans to try out a FREE game and then work to convert them to paying members?
Honestly they just do enough to float it seems. BW has made Anthem their main purpose for the past many years since it began development and this game has been left to sit with little attention or care.

Thank goodness at launch this game came with so much polished and well-done content that the game literally can keep a new player busy for months maybe even years depending on what they like in a game. The stories of the original chapters are awesome, and hold a ton of material to keep you busy for a long time.

Most of the charm you find on this game was created before launch, that's the truth of the matter. Now, they have made some quality of life changes over the years which have improved upon the game, but they have also dumbed it down a bit too. That's pretty normal it seems on modern MMOs though.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

kodrac's Avatar


kodrac
02.19.2019 , 12:17 PM | #222
BW gets plenty of funding. Don't let the theories they don't fool you. They let the community's theory that they're underfunded float to give themselves room to breath. "Oh hey they think we don't have any money." "Let them think that and keep doing what you're doing." They've neither denied it nor confirmed it. It's blatantly obvious at this pint that the funding and manpower has gone to Anthem. I give them stick about Anthem on these forums because the neglect of this game as a result is a bane of contention.

I will, however, give them some slack because it's probably more fun to create your own IP and world building rather than having everything checked and approved by an outside rep. And a new engine is like a new toy and it's all their own than the the Frankenstein this game runs on. This game is probably the stepping stool crap job they put the new guys on to get experience (and it shows every patch).

I hear a lot on these boards that the Star Wars IP is a license to print money. They should be able to do so much more. They are. This game still exists solely as a means to generate cash, and that's all it is. I know people don't want to accept they're being milked, but we're being milked. I personally accept it for what it is. The only other place I can get my SW fix is from Battlefront II and I burned out on that fairly quick.

I also read a lot on here that once Anthem launches they'll get back to this game. Nope. Wishful thinking. Or that the studio will close if Anthem fails. Also nope. Anthem's success or failure will have no bearing on this game. This is the SW cash cow that will help fund further Anthem development, further Dragon Age development and further Mass Effect development. They're already making it easier to maintain and updates are slower and slower to come out. Expect more of the same.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I can say these things because I've already accepted them. I'll enjoy the ride while it still exists. I'll complain or praise as we go over bumps in the road too. Until then we get what we get.
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
Id find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
02.19.2019 , 12:46 PM | #223
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
BW gets plenty of funding. Don't let the theories they don't fool you. They let the community's theory that they're underfunded float to give themselves room to breath. "Oh hey they think we don't have any money." "Let them think that and keep doing what you're doing." They've neither denied it nor confirmed it. It's blatantly obvious at this pint that the funding and manpower has gone to Anthem. I give them stick about Anthem on these forums because the neglect of this game as a result is a bane of contention.

I will, however, give them some slack because it's probably more fun to create your own IP and world building rather than having everything checked and approved by an outside rep. And a new engine is like a new toy and it's all their own than the the Frankenstein this game runs on. This game is probably the stepping stool crap job they put the new guys on to get experience (and it shows every patch).

I hear a lot on these boards that the Star Wars IP is a license to print money. They should be able to do so much more. They are. This game still exists solely as a means to generate cash, and that's all it is. I know people don't want to accept they're being milked, but we're being milked. I personally accept it for what it is. The only other place I can get my SW fix is from Battlefront II and I burned out on that fairly quick.

I also read a lot on here that once Anthem launches they'll get back to this game. Nope. Wishful thinking. Or that the studio will close if Anthem fails. Also nope. Anthem's success or failure will have no bearing on this game. This is the SW cash cow that will help fund further Anthem development, further Dragon Age development and further Mass Effect development. They're already making it easier to maintain and updates are slower and slower to come out. Expect more of the same.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I can say these things because I've already accepted them. I'll enjoy the ride while it still exists. I'll complain or praise as we go over bumps in the road too. Until then we get what we get.
To your point once I started feeling milked, I stopped my sub. prior to that, when they altered the hypercrates to the present form of utter garbage I stopped buying those.

I used to buy 2-5 hypercrates some months, I feel ashamed thinking on it now seeing where my money went. Oh well, I save money now, and have more free time since all I use my paid time for is the forums now.

I ought to thank BW for their choice to neglect this game and let it fall to pieces. Since they really let it go, I stopped buying pixels, and I stopped my loyal 6 month prepaid sub money they religiously got every 6 months for the past 6-7 years.

They showed exactly how much they cared about my loyalty by changing the game I once loved to play into a form of that game that hardly resembles it anymore.

Sure, the outfits are awesome, and if I could bear doing the original stories continuously after over 6 years of doing it, I'd still log in. The problem is I am a PVPer first, the stories are just nice trim for me.

Gearing alts and PVPing on many alts was my favorite thing to do, now we are forced to gear one toon slowly at a time. A game that once encouraged alt-play now has turned into a one toon grindfest game.

I guess this is good for players who enjoy focusing on one toon only. Hopefully that crowd finds SWTOR to help it stay afloat, because people like me are leaving in droves.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

DavidAtkinson's Avatar


DavidAtkinson
02.19.2019 , 10:54 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
BW gets plenty of funding. Don't let the theories they don't fool you. They let the community's theory that they're underfunded float to give themselves room to breath. "Oh hey they think we don't have any money." "Let them think that and keep doing what you're doing." They've neither denied it nor confirmed it. It's blatantly obvious at this pint that the funding and manpower has gone to Anthem. I give them stick about Anthem on these forums because the neglect of this game as a result is a bane of contention.

I will, however, give them some slack because it's probably more fun to create your own IP and world building rather than having everything checked and approved by an outside rep. And a new engine is like a new toy and it's all their own than the the Frankenstein this game runs on. This game is probably the stepping stool crap job they put the new guys on to get experience (and it shows every patch).

I hear a lot on these boards that the Star Wars IP is a license to print money. They should be able to do so much more. They are. This game still exists solely as a means to generate cash, and that's all it is. I know people don't want to accept they're being milked, but we're being milked. I personally accept it for what it is. The only other place I can get my SW fix is from Battlefront II and I burned out on that fairly quick.

I also read a lot on here that once Anthem launches they'll get back to this game. Nope. Wishful thinking. Or that the studio will close if Anthem fails. Also nope. Anthem's success or failure will have no bearing on this game. This is the SW cash cow that will help fund further Anthem development, further Dragon Age development and further Mass Effect development. They're already making it easier to maintain and updates are slower and slower to come out. Expect more of the same.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I can say these things because I've already accepted them. I'll enjoy the ride while it still exists. I'll complain or praise as we go over bumps in the road too. Until then we get what we get.
Yes yes... but please make a new META because playing against the same *********** " I win" classes for three years is getting very boring now.

DavidAtkinson's Avatar


DavidAtkinson
02.19.2019 , 10:59 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
To your point once I started feeling milked, I stopped my sub. prior to that, when they altered the hypercrates to the present form of utter garbage I stopped buying those.

I used to buy 2-5 hypercrates some months, I feel ashamed thinking on it now seeing where my money went. Oh well, I save money now, and have more free time since all I use my paid time for is the forums now.

I ought to thank BW for their choice to neglect this game and let it fall to pieces. Since they really let it go, I stopped buying pixels, and I stopped my loyal 6 month prepaid sub money they religiously got every 6 months for the past 6-7 years.

They showed exactly how much they cared about my loyalty by changing the game I once loved to play into a form of that game that hardly resembles it anymore.

Sure, the outfits are awesome, and if I could bear doing the original stories continuously after over 6 years of doing it, I'd still log in. The problem is I am a PVPer first, the stories are just nice trim for me.

Gearing alts and PVPing on many alts was my favorite thing to do, now we are forced to gear one toon slowly at a time. A game that once encouraged alt-play now has turned into a one toon grindfest game.

I guess this is good for players who enjoy focusing on one toon only. Hopefully that crowd finds SWTOR to help it stay afloat, because people like me are leaving in droves.
I seriously doubt you would have enough time to properly play all your alts... 2, 3 alts maximum. I play only one char/class for 3 years now in PVP and why should I bother with others ? I don't have the time to gear another nor do I want to. This week I will hit 258 full on my main and I will finally be free of this gearing misery that started with 5.10 for no reason at all.

Kryptonomic's Avatar


Kryptonomic
02.20.2019 , 07:00 AM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
BW gets plenty of funding. Don't let the theories they don't fool you. ... It's blatantly obvious at this pint that the funding and manpower has gone to Anthem.
As a point of interest, these are totally different cost centers. The funding between them is entirely different. Funding for SWTOR is based upon projections and how those projections hit revenue targets for that cost center. The same will be true of Anthem.

I'm not so much dismissing your point because, yes, Bioware Austin does get funding. So does Anthem. (Anthem has been getting funding from 2012 on.) The cost centers, however, are entirely different and that means just saying "we get funding" is not, by itself, meaningful. If I get (relative measures) one dollar of funding while someone else gets twenty dollars of funding, that obviously will have an impact on what I can do.

Quote:
I know people don't want to accept they're being milked, but we're being milked. I personally accept it for what it is.
There is truth to this, I think, but I realize it's an arguable point for many. While a lot of people put so much stock in Anthem -- and admittedly, it's a big thing for BioWare -- in the context of Star Wars people seem to be really underestimating how much is riding on Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. A game that is going to be in canon (which matters to some) and is trying to correct for some of the mistakes made by this game (as an MMO) and the Star Wars: Battlefront games.

On the broader point: SWTOR is currently not being used as a barometer at all regarding the success or failure of Star Wars games. It simply isn't. From an industry standpoint right now, it barely rates a mention. That even includes in earnings reports and future revenue projections as released during shareholder calls.

SWTOR is serving only as a very limited sort of learning experience because it ultimately doesn't (at least right now) matter all that much. The Battlefront series was a lot of learning because it showed a few missteps. The first didn't have a single-player campaign at all. The second focused initially on transactions but did have the story elements (including a tie-in novel).

Another learning experience came with the shutting down of Visceral's Star Wars game and then the shutting down of the "reboot" of that game by EA Vancouver. Some of those decisions, arguably, were driven at least in part by the perceived lack of success of SWTOR. But that's complicated by the fact that SWTOR started before EA took acquisition and it was based on a past series (Knights of the Old Republic) that fans generally did like.

So the only part of SWTOR that is being taken as a learning experience is the notion of a single-player game versus a more traditional MMO game (and perhaps versus a single-player game with some multiplayer elements). Now consider the type of game that Fallen Order is purported to be and you'll see why whether it succeeds or fails will have a large impact on whether a model like that of SWTOR is viable.

Quote:
I also read a lot on here that once Anthem launches they'll get back to this game. Nope. Wishful thinking.
Largely correct. Different cost centers. Different development teams. That being said, the alpha team tends to be dispersed after launch of a big game. That happened with SWTOR, for example. So that team from Anthem most certainly could be brought into SWTOR. Or they could more likely be moved into something like the next Dragon Age. A large part of that will be determined by those projections being made by product teams.

Quote:
Or that the studio will close if Anthem fails. Also nope. Anthem's success or failure will have no bearing on this game.
I also think this is largely correct. A "failure" an Anthem -- and failure is very relative, just like it is for movie studios with box office figures -- would definitely cause some internal shifting of resources and a re-alignment of assets. Regardless of what does or does not happen with Anthem, the "worst" that would happen is SWTOR's cost center stays the same for the duration.

Quote:
This is the SW cash cow that will help fund further Anthem development, further Dragon Age development and further Mass Effect development.
That definitely won't happen unless they lay off the staff and stop any active development on this game. The cost centers generally don't cross boundaries. The revenues taken in are what are used for further projections to determine future revenue targets. That informs the hiring of staff (who then, of course, have to be regularly paid), retaining current staff (who also like to be paid regularly), what those staff are assigned to do, work on graphical updates (such as what happened with KOTFE/KOTET), etc.

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
02.20.2019 , 07:06 AM | #227
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
BW gets plenty of funding. Don't let the theories they don't fool you. They let the community's theory that they're underfunded float to give themselves room to breath. "Oh hey they think we don't have any money." "Let them think that and keep doing what you're doing." They've neither denied it nor confirmed it. It's blatantly obvious at this pint that the funding and manpower has gone to Anthem. I give them stick about Anthem on these forums because the neglect of this game as a result is a bane of contention.

[SNIP]

I also read a lot on here that once Anthem launches they'll get back to this game. Nope. Wishful thinking. Or that the studio will close if Anthem fails. Also nope. Anthem's success or failure will have no bearing on this game. This is the SW cash cow that will help fund further Anthem development, further Dragon Age development and further Mass Effect development. They're already making it easier to maintain and updates are slower and slower to come out. Expect more of the same.
Actually, I think you may be very right about this. There is a piece of information that I have come across that proved to be... more insightful than I expected. The piece of information that I have come across entails that SWTOR technically isn't part of EA and Bioware anymore and hasn't been for a while. Supposedly it's 100% seperate from both companies and any titles both have produced.

So that makes me wonder, whether they ever suffered from Anthem getting more manpower and whether indeed they're using the "we're underfunded" as an excuse to cut themselves some slack.
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Noerra's Avatar


Noerra
02.20.2019 , 08:06 AM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Actually, I think you may be very right about this. There is a piece of information that I have come across that proved to be... more insightful than I expected. The piece of information that I have come across entails that SWTOR technically isn't part of EA and Bioware anymore and hasn't been for a while. Supposedly it's 100% seperate from both companies and any titles both have produced.

So that makes me wonder, whether they ever suffered from Anthem getting more manpower and whether indeed they're using the "we're underfunded" as an excuse to cut themselves some slack.
Mind to share this peace of information/source where we can read it? Sounds interesting.

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
02.20.2019 , 08:15 AM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by Noerra View Post
Mind to share this peace of information/source where we can read it? Sounds interesting.
It's a screenshot of something that Eric Musco wrote on the forums: https://imgur.com/a/qSFaaC7. Funnily enough I can't find that post in the dev tracker, because I was hoping to find the wider context of it
The SWTOR Revitalization Petition
This MMO deserves a revitalization, by receiving more funding, resources, manpower and publicity. If you agree with this, sign the petition to EA and Disney here!
And here is my referral link.

Kryptonomic's Avatar


Kryptonomic
02.20.2019 , 08:22 AM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Actually, I think you may be very right about this. There is a piece of information that I have come across that proved to be... more insightful than I expected. The piece of information that I have come across entails that SWTOR technically isn't part of EA and Bioware anymore and hasn't been for a while.
if it helps clear things up, that's not accurate.

Were that the case, at minimum, all of the branding done around SWTOR, including on the web site, would be in violation of the law due to misrepresentation. (You can't claim your game is affiliated with a studio or a publisher, including the use of imagery, if it's not.)

Where much of the speculation has come from is the entire absence of SWTOR being absent from the last couple of earnings reports and shareholder calls. (That said, most people weren't making the distinctions between the 10-Q and the 8-K reports.)

What Eric was referring to in his post is SWTOR being a separate cost center; he just didn't word it that way. That cost center is influenced by the fact that it's a licensed product (i.e., Star Wars) which makes some of the logistics of that cost center unique among the other cost centers.