Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Arcann romance appreciation thread! Haters keep out please!❤

Iheaca
01.25.2019 , 04:01 PM | #5821
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
It's been awhile since I played through Khem's companion story, but my take away was that it was more about earning respect than domination. It felt like he and my SI grew to respect and care for each other over time.

My take away from his romance video is also different. It came across to me as Khem being lonely, not afraid. The bonding he is talking about sounded more like marriage than bondage to me. And I have no doubt Khem can please Mistress Death, so I wouldn't worry about that whole devouring thing.
Yeah... I do not know. Freedom overwhelming him, fearing to lose control (and consume the SI, then). OK, it may be "cute" to see him try to romance the SI instead of feeding on them, but isn't that still a bit creepy?

Anyway, my SI being the one who fell for Arcann, I believe that no one will be able to compete with Space Hitler anytime soon.
The Leviathan - Nyx-Nocturna, Ihrae, Del'Ihrae, Shanti-Adamanta, Ainlanna, Ijadyia
From Ashes We Will Rise - fanfiction

gamephil
01.25.2019 , 04:20 PM | #5822
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
What I find interesting/irritating is that so many people come down hard on anyone wanting to romance Arcann, but hardly anyone bats an eye at the people wanting to romance Vaylin. For me Vaylin is so much worse than Arcann! She kills for fun, as opposed to Arcann who kills for militarily strategic reasons. She has no remorse, as opposed to Arcann who deeply regrets his past. She doesn't want to change, as opposed to Arcann who wants to change and does.

I firmly believe that if Arcann was a woman and Vaylin was a man, everyone who is all down on "space Hitler" would be all gung ho for romancing she-Arcann and would be spitting on he-Vaylin's grave casting aspersions on anyone wanting to bring he-Vaylin back for a romance.
Oh, this again. Let's look at that. If I take Arcann's monstrous actions to be for "military reasons", that's actually WORSE. He kills millions or billions for a brief tactical advantage. He has half his knights and claims that it will "motivate" them. She was insane because of what was done to her, if he did the same and worse while in his right mind, he's a monster that should die. Not smiling doesn't impress me.

But I actually don't view him that way. I'm perfectly happy that he got his redemption arc. I don't think it was done well, but I did want it to happen, because to me he was another victim, just as Vaylin was. He just presented differently. He still did horrible things. He was in no way more rational. Before the ritual, Senya even said that without it, he would lash out at them, even after he had saved her life in a moment of clarity. He was broken, and he got help, and was then able to fully express his remorse for what he'd done, but it was after he got help, with the exception of some individual moments, similar to how Vaylin showed another side when she met fake Thexan.

And, while I'm not interested in it for myself, I am also happy all of you got your romance option.

As for if their genders were flipped? The only reason that the hate for Vaylin has died down is because they got what they wanted already in her utterly grotesque story. There has been every bit as much or more for her all along, the "bat---- crazy" comments, the "why didn't she go with Mom?" comments, the "b---- deserved it" nonsense. Probably, some would flip sides, but it isn't the pattern you seem to think, at least not from my observations.

Personally, I"d just love it if this contest about which one of these abuse and brainwashing victims was worse or deserved to die for it would die in a fire. They both should have been helped if we so chose, not one over the other, and I am deathly tired of hearing both about "space Hitler" and "psycho chick". They were both victims of an eldritch horror who was the only real villain here, both did wrong, but one of them we got to choose to help, the other we were forced to hurt more before killing her. That's it.

JakRoanin
01.25.2019 , 04:49 PM | #5823
Quote: Originally Posted by gamephil View Post
Oh, this again.
Easy, easy, my friend. As you know, I find both Arcann and Vaylin compelling characters, both extremely damaged and tragic. But it IS a fact that people who like the Romance with the Dark Prince are disparaged and mocked more often than those who wish to romance Vaylin. That is unfair and wrong.

The main difference between Arcann and Vaylin is that Arcann still had a small part of his emotional core intact, causing him to save his mother's life from Vaylin's attack. Vaylin's emotional core, and mind, were shattered beyond repair.

Ardrossan
01.25.2019 , 10:41 PM | #5824
Quote: Originally Posted by tahol View Post
With people like you around, why would I have to go there?
I lol'd. Also, if this guy thinks being called an edgelord is right up there with solo ranked, he hasn't done any ranked.

Damask_Rose
01.26.2019 , 02:24 AM | #5825
Oh, this again. Let's look at that. If I take Arcann's monstrous actions to be for "military reasons", that's actually WORSE. He kills millions or billions for a brief tactical advantage. He has half his knights and claims that it will "motivate" them. She was insane because of what was done to her, if he did the same and worse while in his right mind, he's a monster that should die. Not smiling doesn't impress me.
I strongly disagree with you here. There is a lot in game in various places to indicate that Vaylin was born broken. Even as a small child, well before there was any type of abuse, she was dangerously violent. She learned she liked to hurt people BEFORE there was any torture involved. Now, I'm not claiming that Arcann's military decisions were anything but extreme, but he didn't do them for fun. He did what he thought he had to do to win a war. Vaylin killed for fun. Vaylin was not insane in a legal sense of the word. Like all other sociopaths who discover they like to torture and kill, she knew right from wrong, she just didn't care.

As for if their genders were flipped? The only reason that the hate for Vaylin has died down is because they got what they wanted already in her utterly grotesque story. There has been every bit as much or more for her all along, the "bat---- crazy" comments, the "why didn't she go with Mom?" comments, the "b---- deserved it" nonsense. Probably, some would flip sides, but it isn't the pattern you seem to think, at least not from my observations.
I read these forums and Reddit on a daily basis and I have never seen the kind of hatred leveled at Vaylin as leveled at male NPCs like Arcann, Koth and Quinn. At least half of the people talking about her being bat---crazy think that is great and sexy. And I have never seen people carry that hatred over onto her fan-base and accuse them of mental illness because they like her, which I have seen done numerous times to fans of both Arcann and Quinn. For example, one Redditor has accused people who like Quinn as suffering from Stockholm syndrome then later saying he finds Vaylin to be his ideal candidate for romance.

Your theory that Vaylin hate died down because she gets killed falls down because Quinn hate is alive and well despite people being able to kill him. Here are two recent Reddit posts on them. One on Vaylin and one on Quinn. Do you not see how wildly different they are treated?

Seeing Arcann, Koth, Quinn and their fans treated one way while seeing Vaylin, Jaesa, Thana and their fans treated another way, looks pretty gendered to me.

Paulsutherland
01.26.2019 , 05:02 AM | #5826
I don't think gender of the characters plays any role in the hatred. It all comes down to the writing. Look at Lana ... requests keep popping up for an option to kill her / make her leave.

Female Arcann / Male Vaylin ? I'd preach!

Goreshaga
01.26.2019 , 05:53 AM | #5827
Quote: Originally Posted by Paulsutherland View Post
I don't think gender of the characters plays any role in the hatred. It all comes down to the writing. Look at Lana ... requests keep popping up for an option to kill her / make her leave.

Female Arcann / Male Vaylin ? I'd preach!
I think Lana's problem is that she's more or less the last companion standing and seeing her while not seeing other characters we may like more than her tends to get annoying for many people (me included, even though i actually like her and don't want to kill or exile her)

Female Arcann looks pretty cute, male Vaylin looks quite nice too, reminds me a bit of Loki, which is always good

witchglove
01.26.2019 , 09:09 AM | #5828
Quote: Originally Posted by Iheaca View Post
Funny, because shame is part of my new chapter.

From Ashes We Will Rise - The Slithering Snake - part 2
Yay, an update! I think this was one of my favourite chapters so far Really nice dialogue and dynamic between the two of them. I'd leave more kudos, if I could!

Goreshaga
01.27.2019 , 02:59 AM | #5829
Quote: Originally Posted by Iheaca View Post
Never be ashamed!!

Funny, because shame is part of my new chapter.

From Ashes We Will Rise - The Slithering Snake - part 2
yay, finally got some time to read it, and that's always nice to read a new chapter.

I too liked the interactions between the 2, Arcann's reaction to Indo, and Nyx staring while Arcann doesn't know.
I also like the setting, getting ti know more about Zakuul situation, and its relationship with her Alliance ^^

Iheaca
01.27.2019 , 11:02 AM | #5830
Thank you both.

I think that my favourite scenes in this chapter (in terns of headcanons, not that I wrote them particularly well ) Are when he entrusts her with his lightsaber, and the very last one.
The Leviathan - Nyx-Nocturna, Ihrae, Del'Ihrae, Shanti-Adamanta, Ainlanna, Ijadyia
From Ashes We Will Rise - fanfiction