Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Conquest Changes in 5.10

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
11.09.2018 , 11:36 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey folks,

With all of the Guild Changes coming in Game Update 5.10, we also wanted to make some changes to Conquests. As you will learn later today on PTS, Guild Leveling and Perks are tied directly into Conquests, so there is no better time than this update to make some changes.

Goals
Before we dive into the specifics we want to ensure that you understand what we are trying to achieve with Conquests in 5.10. Keep these goals in mind as you review the planned changes.
  • We want to continue to ensure you expect weekly consistency in Conquest Objectives. We are doing this for three reasons:
    • We heard your feedback from our first round of Conquest changes that you felt that there should be Objectives in every Conquest for most gameplay styles.
    • With Guild Perks, players will have the ability to add new Daily Repeatable Conquest Objectives to fit their Guilds playstyle.
    • Guild XP is tied to Conquest Points and so you need to know what to expect in each week’s Conquest reliably.
  • Create methods to allow players to earn more Conquest points.
  • Incentivize Guilds to commit earlier to prevent “planet sniping.”

Changes
  • The following Objectives have been added to every Conquest:
    • Complete any Chapter (repeatable)
    • Complete any round of the Eternal Championship (repeatable)
    • Complete Round 10 of the Eternal Championship (daily)
    • Defeat enemies anywhere, you must complete step 1 before you can complete step 2, etc:
      • 1: 100 Enemies (daily)
      • 2: 125 Enemies (daily)
      • 3: 250 Enemies (daily)
    • Obtain 8 badges in a Warzone (repeatable)
  • The following Objectives have been removed”
    • Defeat Imperial / Republic Guards
  • Guilds will now earn a small bonus on all Conquest points earned once they have committed to a planet. The team is trying to balance the bonus % between offering incentives to Guilds for committing early, and not “planet sniping” but we also don’t want to punish Guilds who don’t immediately commit. I am still working with the dev team on locking down the exact bonus but will get it for you next week.

In addition to the changes above, there are a number things that are a part of Guild Leveling and Perks which will also impact Conquest. Definitely take a look at those posts!

Please let us know your thoughts as Conquests are a big part of the Guild changes in 5.10. Thanks everyone.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

arunav
11.09.2018 , 02:23 PM | #2
The number of "kill" on planet objectives is too high.

50/100/150 is already quite grindy. Increasing this makes the solo aspects of the objective system worse.

Please consider many Conquest-oriented players do Conquest on their multiple characters, perhaps capping one per day, or sometimes even 2 if possible on certain weeks. It's already an extremely uninspired activity, to simply go kill mobs on planets, and increasing it only makes this flaw in Conquest worse.

Remember back in the pre-launch days when James Ohlen used to talk about quest design for SWTOR, and it didn't want to revolve around going out and killing 12 boars like in WoW?

This was for story purposes, but also in part for the general feel of playing the game. Even though Conquest doesn't carry a story, the same psychology applies in the sense the player feels the gameplay is lowered in the worst possible way, running around planets killing mobs of 3 or 4 for points.

This doesn't mean we don't appreciate the "kill" objectives - it allows for some solo-oriented play that results in significant point gains, alongside the group activities we can queue for.

But please keep Conquest kill objectives where they are. 250 kills per day to get it done is WAY too high, especially in areas that don't have a high density of mobs. Players will quickly navigate to areas of planets that do, and the result will be groups stealing kills from one another, or going somewhere that takes a really long time to get to 250 kills. Solo players that can't get in a group are put in a worse situation as well, as sometimes other people will deny invitations or offers to group up.

Either result, and the general design, isn't an improvement or something that helps retain players. Conquest in general does, but the tedious objectives need to remain reasonable. 50/100/150 isn't fun by any means, but we can accept it as reasonable. Increasing this to 250 is even more mind-numbing and really bad gameplay.

Please don't take this change live.
"In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

Free Inventory Slot, Character Transfer, and Subscription Time:
http://www.swtor.com/r/YpmgMVhttp://

ceciltaru
11.09.2018 , 03:41 PM | #3
There is nothing in here about returning some conquest objectives that could be considered alt-friendly, such as turning Craft an Invasion Force into a once per day per character objective, instead of the once per day per legacy it is now.

I brought this up during the last livestream because it was occuring what had previously been considered a crafting week for conquest on alts. However when the conquest changes went into place, alt-friendly conquest went with it.

Just to reiterate what we are seeing:
Daily repeatable quests like Inventor, or Heroic Mission, or Socialite i believe, give paltry 200-300 cxp per completion. When combined with the once per day objectives like Craft and Invasion Force, they can be a little more bearable, but you can only do those once per day per legacy. So if I have 10 alts and I craft an Invasion Force on each, only one will the 1500 cxp, the rest get squat

Can you please finally address the alt-unfriendly nature of most of the conquest objectives, ie. the once per day per legacy objectives.

LasagnaSurfer
11.09.2018 , 04:14 PM | #4
I do love that you added the Eternal Championship to conquest.

But as a primary tank player, I'm concerned I can't do enough DPS to get sprint champion after the nerfs.
Zwoop <Harbingers of Valhalla> & <Raiders of Valhalla> Satele Shan twitch.tv/zwoopity

TUXs
11.09.2018 , 04:18 PM | #5
Remove all legacy limits Eric...that's been requested from the start, not more crap to kill for rampages...with a single rampage per day at that...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Setokai
11.09.2018 , 04:24 PM | #6
Would it be possible to make daily heroics in terms of the objectives repeatable again?
http://www.swtor.com/r/xlcFwx
free stuff for a new or preferred status player

Katushe
11.09.2018 , 04:49 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
[*]The following Objectives have been added to every Conquest:
  • Defeat enemies anywhere, you must complete step 1 before you can complete step 2, etc:
The number of enemies is pretty much irrelevant, since with a low amount of gameplay you can do 250 a week easy.

However, the new things on the list are... simply the most unplayable things in the game. Chapters? Really? Eternal championship maybe, for strange ppl that like standing around while some lady shouts on the background but.. chapters?!?! Why!?!? I swore I shall never play them again, that boring the are.

Lord_Thorne
11.09.2018 , 06:01 PM | #8
I'm reasonably pleased with the proposed changes, though I will echo the call for removing legacy limits on conquest objectives. If the object is to encourage people to play all aspects of the game, then let us play all aspects of the game - which includes the ability to run multiple alts without overly penalizing our other alts.
Also, any changes to crafting objectives? (asked the crafter...)
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

laanie
11.09.2018 , 06:29 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

Changes
  • The following Objectives have been added to every Conquest:
  • The following Objectives have been removed”
    • Defeat Imperial / Republic Guards
  • Guilds will now earn a small bonus on all Conquest points earned once they have committed to a planet. The team is trying to balance the bonus % between offering incentives to Guilds for committing early, and not “planet sniping” but we also don’t want to punish Guilds who don’t immediately commit. I am still working with the dev team on locking down the exact bonus but will get it for you next week.

-eric
Can you clarify the section regarding adding 'Defeat enemies anywhere'? Is this in addition to the planet rampages already in the conquest system?

BattleAxMaeve
11.09.2018 , 08:37 PM | #10
The higher numbers of characters to be killed would be too much if it were like the present rampage where your only purpose on that planet is to kill your quota. If, under this new system, you chose to repeat a chapter, it would be hard not to kill 250 enemies. Run a flashpoint? or an Ops (if kills in Ops count)? Again, 250 would be easily reached. I, for one, like adding purpose to the rampage--and the chance for variety as well.

I think in practice this will turn out to be a wonderful change to conquest.