The Sanctuary of Regret

Lunafox

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Fifty-Four

Jonas prowled Keeper’s control room and idly tapped at one of the com stations only to be rebuffed by an ear-splitting alarm. A menacing black and silver astromech rolled toward him.

The unit issued a shrill whistle and moved toward the station quickly enough to force Jonas to leap out of its path. It connected its tool arm to the console and deactivated the alarm.

After it withdrew from the station, it turned on Jonas and nattered at him in a series of angry beeps and toots. “This unit=now authorized for your use. Any attempt at unauthorized access=terminal force.”

“Kark, you’re not kiddin’ around are ya.”

“This unit=not programmed to respond to SIS jest.”

“I think you just did. What’s your designation?”

“You=spy. Designation=classified.”

“Oh switch off. You equal a pain in the neck.”

A flash of gray caught the corner of Jonas’s eye and he turned fully to face the entrance. Lana carefully descended the three illuminated steps into the control room. “Annoying the droids already, I see,” Lana chided.

“Shouldn’t you be in bed?”

“The doctor said I could return to light duty.”

“But your arm?”

“Oh, this?” She patted the sling. “Only for another three days. The bones will have knitted properly by then. I’ll admit it has slowed me down, but I’m far from useless.”

“A’right, but whatever you do, only use that station,” he said, pointing. “Or N1-CE over here’ll terminate you.”

“It looks harmless, but I appreciate the warning.”

“Yeah, well, never say I didn’t do anythin’ for ya.”

The droid’s dome spun around to address them and its eye flashed an angry red. “This unit’s designation does not=N1-CE. Nor does it=harmless. Unit=lethal.”

Jonas laughed. “Lethal, right. What are you gonna do, beat me with your tool arm? If you told us your designation, we wouldn’t hafta guess.”

“I don’t think it’s wise to annoy it,” Lana whispered behind her hand. “We may need its help.”

The droid made a noise that sounded like it was spitting hot coolant and rolled to the opposite end of the room where it scowled at them like an angry cat.

Jonas leaned against the half-wall partition and crossed his arms. “That’s better. So how are the others?”

“They’re recovering—our host installed them into guest quarters an hour ago.”

“Good to hear,” he said, watching her settle in at the station. “You sure you’re okay?”

Her shoulders sank and her eyebrows and lips puckered sternly. “Physically, I’m doing well enough, all things considered.”

“Then…what? You're making that face.”

“You haven’t realized it yet, have you? The explosion destroyed everything—the Chrono data, the counter-measures—it’s all gone. We have nothing.”

“Sithspit,” Jonas swore under his breath.

“Jonas! You know that’s offensive to me.”

“Yeah, yeah you’re right. Sorry. Sonuvabish though,” he roared. “We were this close,” he said, pinching his index finger to his thumb. “Unless Ilia made a copy for herself.”

“We can only hope, for all the good that does. We need that data now.”

He sank into the chair next to her’s and propped his boot against the console. Jonas shook his head like that would silence his internal mutterings.

Lana sighed. “I realize we’re back to square one, but I was thinking—if we put our heads together—we could figure it out. We’ve both spent hours analyzing it. Perhaps even my predecessor could be of help.”

“I dunno. Not sure I trust him.”

“Well, I do.”

“Yeah and we all know how good a judge of character you are.”

Lana stood. “I realize you’re frustrated, but to bring up past mistakes, is a low blow. Everyone makes mistakes and I’ll have you know I’ve learned from mine.”

“I just don’t trust him, that’s all.”

“Well, you’d better start. We need his help and he’s been gracious enough to rescue us, treat us and put us up.”

“Makes me wonder why. Did he tell you it wasn’t an explosion?”

“I haven’t spoken to him, beyond greetings. I had hoped to later.”

“Jadus attacked us. He leveled Raider’s Cove. Theron saw him powering up. I didn’t have time to get to you.”

“I see. That’s all the more reason to trust our host. He’s opposed Jadus before.” Lana dug the edge of her thumbnail against the swell of her lower lip. “Anything from Ilia or Vector?”

“Not yet. Theron should be in touch soon, he’s hot on Jadus’s trail—and before you ask, why he didn’t come back after the attack, it’s because I told him not to.”

“Good. I’m glad he listened for once. If he’d lost them, all our plans would be for naught.”

“He didn’t like it—he was beating himself up over it. I could tell.”

“No doubt,” Lana said quietly.

Jonas’s com chimed and he wasted no time answering. “Jonas here…”

Theron’s voice crackled over the device, in audio mode. “Hey, it’s me. We’re on Quesh for refuel, then on to Korriban.”

“Are you inside?”

“Yeah, laying low in the ventilation shaft. Is everyone okay?”

“Yeah. You find Ilia yet?”

“No, I’m working on it. Do me a favor and transmit to Vector. I won’t get another chance. Tell him everything I told you.”

“Will do.”

“Hey, have Liatrix and Scourge arrived yet?”

“No.”

“Not a word, got it?”

“Got it. We’re in the homestretch now buddy. Make it back in one piece and we’ll split my bottle.”

“Deal. Theron out.”

“Let’s hope everything goes according to plan,” Lana said.

“Yeah,” Jonas grunted.

The cloying smell of sugar-laced exhaust followed Theron on board the Invidia. He crept through the ventilation shaft, slowly, carefully, to avoid staining the front of his stolen Imperial lieutenant’s uniform. His elbows and the toe-boxes of his boots collected the brunt of the light soot coating the tunnel and with every meter, he advanced, he dragged a satchel full of charges with him—enough to start a chain reaction that would tear through the destroyer until little more than debris remained.

Unlike the time he boarded the Ascendant Spear he had no partners working in concert with him and for the briefest second, he smiled at the memory of Gnost-Dural and Teff’ith and wondered where they were now. Sadder memories budged the happier ones aside. Jace’s image formed clearly in his memory and fixed on the time they had dinner together and then the first time his father came to his apartment. It was a perfect moment.

He stowed the memories in the compartment where he kept everything he didn’t want to think about and focussed on the present. Working alone demanded the utmost care. He couldn’t afford to be caught and he couldn’t afford to fight.

He paused at the apex of the branching tunnels and chose to go left toward the engineering deck. The plan rolled in his mind like a movie, each step playing out in detail. Envisioning what he needed to do, he thought, raised his chances of success.

A feeling of dread came over him next and it was one he couldn’t account for with any excuse except nerves. It was a bad feeling—like something somewhere wasn’t right. The plan was going to hell but he couldn’t figure out how.

‘Now is not the time for cold feet,’ he thought. ‘It’ll work. It’ll work.’

Minutes later, he came upon the hatch that would deposit him into engineering. He cranked his arm forward to check his chrono. The shift change would begin in fifteen minutes and would be his window to gain access. His fingers hovered over the register grill. Cautiously he tugged the handle toward him, turning the vents his way to give him a view of the chamber below.

‘Fifteen minutes that would feel like a century,’ he thought.

Ilia stared at the door to the room where the child was kept. Her gaze shifted to the security panel and it drew her closer. Jadus’s duties and plans would keep him away for a time—she wasn’t sure for how long, but she hoped it would be enough.

Her fingers played over the buttons without depressing them. Attempting to slice the lock could trigger a ship-wide alarm for all she knew. One wrong entry and she would likely find herself in the brig and as much as Jadus unnerved her, she knew it was better to be close to the devil and his good graces than to be locked away.

She scanned the room for something she could use. Something that might short out the panel. The tray containing what remained of her midday meal lured her to it. A mouthful of caf remained at the bottom of the cup. Czerka security systems were vulnerable to moisture and she hoped the Imperial version had the same flaw.

Without a second thought, she snatched up the mug and carefully drizzled the contents on the top frame of the panel. She blew on the liquid so that it would ooze down the narrow space between the wall and the panel. After dabbing away the excess with her sleeve, she returned the cup to the tray.

“C’mon,” she murmured.

Minutes passed before sparks emanated from inside the unit. The door popped open and Ilia froze in disbelief.

‘It actually worked.’

The chime announcing the end of the shift echoed through the chamber and when the room emptied, Theron shimmied through the hatch and dropped down, careful to avoid jostling the satchel.

He slipped into the chamber containing the fuel lines and pump. The pipes spanned the length of a Grav-ball field.

Strolling alongside them, he placed a charge on the underbelly of each pipe every five meters and armed them to respond to his detonator when the time came. He stuffed the empty sachel into the refuse bin and gave the engineering diagram a quick once over. Tracing the path to the level where the command quarters were located, he landed on the one that had to belong to Jadus.

Theron called for the service elevator and stepped onto the empty platform. Traveling this way was a risk, but it would take hours off his search than if he’d remained in the ventilation system.

From the elevator, he slipped into the service tunnels above the level and counted the vents as he crawled toward Jadus’s quarters.

Ilia gawped. Before her, the child rotated and hovered inside the containment unit. She bolted toward the device and pressed her hands against the field. It wriggled under her palms but remained intact.

She watched the boy inside—a child no more than eight, maybe nine, with messy brown hair that looked like it had been licked by several nerfs. A light dusting of freckles covered the bridge of his nose and spilled onto his cheeks.

“You poor thing,” she murmured and caressed the field between them. The boy’s eyes fluttered open and gaped back at her—the shade a golden brown she’d only ever seen in one other person.

A voice spoke inside her mind—the tremulous plea of a frightened child. ‘Help me, please. He hurts me.’

“I will, as soon as I get a chance, I’ll free you—get you off this ship for good. What’s your name, sweetheart?”

‘Deston.’

Ilia blanched and her memory took her back to the time she’d first met him—a toddler on the loose with his sister, playing hide and seek in Marr’s stronghold. ‘It all makes sense—he’s the Commander’s son—and he’s using him to get to her,’ she thought. ‘He’s Theron’s son too…he needs to know. This changes everything.’

“My name is Ilia. Where’s your sister, Deston? Sephna—wasn’t it?”

He gazed at her tearfully. ‘I don’t know.’

“Where were you all this time? We searched everywhere.”

‘Korriban, with Lord Harkun. We were his slaves.’

“Listen to me very carefully. We need to play a little game of pretend. We can’t let on that anything is different for a while longer. But I promise you, with everything I am, that I’ll get you off this ship. Can you do that for me?”

The boy nodded.

“Good.”

Above them, the ceiling rattled, and a rumbling sound moved closer. Ilia watched the air exchange grate above her and took a step back.

Theron peered through the grate. “Hey,” he whispered. “You okay? Is the coast clear?”

Ilia nodded. “Be careful.”

Theron ripped the grate out and wriggled through the opening.

“Don’t be afraid, he’s my friend,” Ilia reassured the boy.

Theron brushed himself off and tugged down on his tunic. “Everything’s in place. Now it’s up to Vector.”

Ilia pressed her hand over her lips.

“What’s the matter?” Theron asked, his gaze shifting to the unit. “Who’s this?”

Ilia swallowed. “He’s your son, Theron. That’s Deston,” she added gently.

Theron’s jaw dropped. Panicked, he faced the unit, his fingers sliding over the controls. “Why didn’t you let him out?”

She stilled Theron’s hand and shook her head. “Not yet. We have to bide our time.”

“We’re still docked. Change in plans—we take him and get the hell outta here—blow it when they release the mooring.”

“Jadus plans to use the boy to lure your Commander—Darth Incarnal. He wants me to kill her, which I have no intention of doing.”

“All the more reason to leave now.”

Theron looked up at the boy and met his gaze. “I’m your dad,” he said, eyes tearing. “We’re gonna get you out, right now.”

Heavy footfalls sounded outside the main door. “He’s back. Hide!” Ilia hissed and bolted out of the boy’s room. The door hissed shut behind her, but before she could distance herself from it, Jadus entered his quarters.

He said nothing and turned his back to her.

Ilia crept closer to the table where her meal tray was. “How was your day? Did you accomplish what you hoped?”

“Your pleasantries are wasted. I sense deception in you.” He whirled around. “What were you doing prior to my return? I would advise you not to lie.”

“I have no reason to lie, Jadus. I decided I wanted to see the prisoner for myself, and I did. If we are to work together, you must trust me.”

“Did the being in that room communicate with you?”

“Not this time.”

Jadus turned away from her and started for the door. “You damaged the security panel to gain access.”

“I wouldn’t have had to if you’d trusted me with the code.”

He forced the door and Ilia’s body tightened. She followed him and let out a breath when she saw the boy was still contained and Theron was nowhere to be seen. The chair in the corner had been pulled closer to the unit.

“Why is this here?” Jadus asked.

“I wished to sit, my lord.”

A sift of coarse debris sat on the floor next to the chair. “And this?” Jadus demanded, his attention lifting to the ceiling and the grate.

“That, I can’t account for. Perhaps it happened when we came out of light speed. It was a rather rough exit.”

Next, he examined the containment unit to find the settings intact. “Perhaps.”

“Would you like me to call maintenance for you?”

“That won’t be necessary.”

Jadus strode out of the room to his desk and Ilia trailed behind him. She pretended to pay him little attention and idly nibbled at the remnants of the roll left on her plate when he pressed the intercom button. “Admiral Ethos. Conduct a security sweep—all departments, all decks.”

“What should we be looking for, my lord?” Ethos’s voice crackled over the com.

“Intruders—sabotage—anything that would interfere with my plans.”

“Of course, my lord. Your will be done, Ethos out.”

Ilia glanced across the table at him. “You won’t find anything, or anyone, my lord.”

“You’d better hope that’s the case, agent.”

((to be continued…))

That was a fun little chapter. ^^

I liked the bit of humor with the astromech, Keeper has his toys well trained with some fun programming. I can understand Jonas' reluctance to trust Keeper but he did make the effort of saving them all and offering his home for shelter. On top of that, he has experience with the chrono and every incentive in the world to put a stop to Jadus even if that means working with the spy boys. I also liked Jonas immediately defending Theron to Lana, even if it seemed he didn't have to and I doubt Lana would have made a stink. She'd be more inclined to be angry if Theron had come back for them. Not sure how those two ever survived even one year of marriage.

So, Ilia's discovered Deston and he's talking to her but is it him or the Emperor assuming his identity? He'd likely have access to the boy's memories. It was odd that the boy reacted and spoke to Ilia but there was nothing when Theron showed up and revealed that he was his father, but if it's actually Vitiate then he'd probably find it much harder to play the long lost son meeting his dad. Poor Theron, what a way to discover and meet his kid though he kept himself brave, no time for heavy emotion or a lot of questions, especially not with Jadus on their heels.

I'd be surprised if Jadus bought a single excuse Ilia threw his way, that whole situation was far too suspicious and had 'bullsh.it' written all over it. Makes me wonder why he pretends to somewhat believe her unless he's just entertaining her lies while waiting for the right moment. Curious to see.

Nice addition to the story, glad you posted this week.

What could possibly go wrong?

Seems the old 'us vs them' mentality never quite goes away. Jonas never was big on trust, except with a few people, seems he'll have to put his issues aside and work with Keeper after all. Him and Lana, polar opposites and it shows. Loved the wordplay with the droid, and the acronym n1-ce. You go, Jonas.

Theron, up to his a.ss in vents and access tubes, just like old times. I really felt for him when he found out the boy is his son. It must have taken every bit of willpower for him to walk away, now we wait to see if he gets caught. Heaven forbid.

Not sure Jadus is buying into Illa's act even though she's playing the truth game. I do wonder if the Emperor is speaking to her instead of Deston, which I'm sure is the case. The Emperor is full of tricks and I'm not so sure a 7-year-old would be quite calm enough to simply 'ask for help', kids that age are more prone to fear and tantrums. I'm sure the Emperor has access to the boy's memories so would know about Harkun. Perhaps the Emperor held the boy silent when Theron told him he was his dad, it would only take a small outburst, and I doubt the Emperor would want that right now.

And so we wait again to see if Theron gets caught if Vector shows up and if Keeper can provide much-needed insight. Well done.

Happy to see this posted, hope the hand is better. Great read and addition to the story.

That was a fun little chapter. ^^

I liked the bit of humor with the astromech, Keeper has his toys well trained with some fun programming. I can understand Jonas' reluctance to trust Keeper but he did make the effort of saving them all and offering his home for shelter. On top of that, he has experience with the chrono and every incentive in the world to put a stop to Jadus even if that means working with the spy boys. I also liked Jonas immediately defending Theron to Lana, even if it seemed he didn't have to and I doubt Lana would have made a stink. She'd be more inclined to be angry if Theron had come back for them. Not sure how those two ever survived even one year of marriage.

So, Ilia's discovered Deston and he's talking to her but is it him or the Emperor assuming his identity? He'd likely have access to the boy's memories. It was odd that the boy reacted and spoke to Ilia but there was nothing when Theron showed up and revealed that he was his father, but if it's actually Vitiate then he'd probably find it much harder to play the long lost son meeting his dad. Poor Theron, what a way to discover and meet his kid though he kept himself brave, no time for heavy emotion or a lot of questions, especially not with Jadus on their heels.

I'd be surprised if Jadus bought a single excuse Ilia threw his way, that whole situation was far too suspicious and had 'bullsh.it' written all over it. Makes me wonder why he pretends to somewhat believe her unless he's just entertaining her lies while waiting for the right moment. Curious to see.

Nice addition to the story, glad you posted this week.

Thanks! :D I'm glad you thought so and I'm glad to see you're back posting on the forums! :) I thought given the weight of the rest of the chapter, a little levity with Keeper's droid would be cute. I think Keeper is quite serious about stopping Jadus and he's prepared to go to some lengths to do it. He knows he's a threat to the empire, the galaxy and to Ilia, so having him get dead would definitely be a plus. You're right about Lana, she wouldn't been more upset if Theron had given in to impulses and come back for them. For Lana and Jonas, I think there was the 'opposites attract' thing at the first, and then they got busy with saving the galaxy and finding the Outlander, that they really didn't address the issues between them. Work can be an effective way to distance, and I think they were both guilty of that, Lana in particular.

As for Deston and Vitiate, well, that would be telling ;) But Vitiate would know, given the boy's memories that Theron would be a stranger to him. They've never met. The one calling himself their father was Scourge and a little toddler wouldn't really be wise to the fact that he's not really his son. When he's a bit older, he'd likely be more like, 'why do you look different?'

I think the temptation for Theron was there, to take his kid and make a run for it, but logic prevailed, he had no idea what state the boy is in, if he can even walk or run. And getting out with a child in tow would be next to impossible. That and I don't think he's the sort to burn a colleague. I don't see him leaving Ilia behind to take the brunt, even though she sort of is.

I don't think Jadus believes her, it's a game of cat and mouse and it's something of a torture to keep someone so close, knowing they'd rather be anywhere but there.

Thanks again for the kind comments and thoughtful analysis. :)

What could possibly go wrong?

Seems the old 'us vs them' mentality never quite goes away. Jonas never was big on trust, except with a few people, seems he'll have to put his issues aside and work with Keeper after all. Him and Lana, polar opposites and it shows. Loved the wordplay with the droid, and the acronym n1-ce. You go, Jonas.

Theron, up to his a.ss in vents and access tubes, just like old times. I really felt for him when he found out the boy is his son. It must have taken every bit of willpower for him to walk away, now we wait to see if he gets caught. Heaven forbid.

Not sure Jadus is buying into Illa's act even though she's playing the truth game. I do wonder if the Emperor is speaking to her instead of Deston, which I'm sure is the case. The Emperor is full of tricks and I'm not so sure a 7-year-old would be quite calm enough to simply 'ask for help', kids that age are more prone to fear and tantrums. I'm sure the Emperor has access to the boy's memories so would know about Harkun. Perhaps the Emperor held the boy silent when Theron told him he was his dad, it would only take a small outburst, and I doubt the Emperor would want that right now.

And so we wait again to see if Theron gets caught if Vector shows up and if Keeper can provide much-needed insight. Well done.

Happy to see this posted, hope the hand is better. Great read and addition to the story.

Oh...just about anything and everything at this point :D

Yeah, I don't think Jonas will ever outright trust an Imperial, and I think that might've been part of the problem in their marriage too. He was never sure in his own mind about them. He works with Ilia but does he 100% trust her? No. Even though Ilia and Theron started out at odds back in Spy Vs. Spy, I think they actually trust each other more. There's a similarity between them, in that they do this work, but they're both really good people underneath who'd go to extremes for their loved ones. I think Lana and Balkar being such opposites worked to attract them to one another, but it wasn't enough glue to hold them together. I'm glad you enjoyed the acronym Jonas invented for Keeper's little droid.

That's our Theron, always sneaking around somewhere through vents and access tubes lol. I think he's snuck through something in every story he's been in lol. It did take a lot of willpower for him to leave the boy, but I think he realized that he didn't know what shape the kid was in and getting out with him would be tough, not to mention leaving Ilia alone to deal, wasn't kosher. She is alone with Jadus, but Theron is on board, working out new plans.

I don't think Jadus is buying what Ilia has to sell either. I think the truth aspect is a bit confusing, but he's just playing with her, like a predator does with prey. Just keeping her there with him, is a form of torture.

It would be telling about the boy and Vitiate ;) but yeah he's a lot stronger, even a gifted child with exceptional Force talents isn't going to be able to stand up to Vitiate.

You're right, there's a lot to address still so hopefully I'll remember everything :D I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thank you for the lovely comment and observations. I've discovered that if I dont' move my hand a certain way it doesn't hurt, but sometimes I forget and then I'm ready to howl. It's slowed me down, but Thursday is doctor day, and I'll know what gives.

Finally got through reading all of these, very intriguing. Can't wait for the next installment.

P.S. I completely agree with how you handled Ashara. For a dark-sider-- "my teachings" - indeed... annoying...

I feel for Destron though. Vitiate is NOT the type to "share", and for a child to go through that....:(

Finally got through reading all of these, very intriguing. Can't wait for the next installment.

P.S. I completely agree with how you handled Ashara. For a dark-sider-- "my teachings" - indeed... annoying...

I feel for Destron though. Vitiate is NOT the type to "share", and for a child to go through that....:(

Thank you for reading :D I'm glad you're enjoying the story. And thanks for understanding about Ashara, she's always been mine and my SI's least favorite companion. Heck, Skadge holds more appeal than she does for me. Poor Deston, yeah, he's in a bad situation, as you say Vitiate is not into sharing and he's not a very good 'room mate.'

I appreciate the kind comment very much. Thank you again! :)

Sorry to hear this. The tone of the post suggests it's not too critical, and that is a real relief. Hopefully it'll get sorted properly. Here's to a speedy recovery.

I'm out and home! Thanks Eiter <3 I'm happy at least to know finally what's wrong with me. :) I have more appointments next week, so hopefully this will all get settled soon. Thanks for the kind note.

I reckon I'll put the next post to next Saturday night, so I don't have to rush things while I'm getting better.

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Fifty-Five

Liatrix and Scourge deplaned warily, lightsabers in hand. Rain and wind pummelled their faces, as they gaped at the ruin before them. What was once the heart of Raider’s Cove, was now little more than a muddy crater.

The buildings, including the hotel they’d stayed at during their last visit, had been reduced to charred, ashen heaps and the welcoming neon signs lay scattered and twisted at their feet.

“What the hell happened here?” Liatrix bunched the lobes of her hood to keep the cold and rain out. “Who would’ve done this?”

“You really need to ask?” Scourge paced, examining the site. “The pattern of the strike, the blast radius—Imperial weaponry did this.”

“Jadus,” she hissed.

“Yes—no doubt looking for you, or perhaps your allies.”

Without saying a word, she sprinted up the shuttle’s ramp and returned with a satchel brimming with kolto and medical supplies.

“Surely you don’t believe anyone survived?” Scourge asked.

“No. But—just in case,” she said miserably. “I’m not leaving here until we’re sure we’ve done all we can. He did this to them, because of me.”

Before Scourge could reply, she’d already started for the ruins. A pattern of rapping against the debris and calling out broke the steady rhythm of the downpour. When no answers came, she moved on to the next and the next. A sickly groan rose from behind a pile of debris.

“There’s someone buried under this,” Liatrix shouted over her shoulder. “Don’t be afraid,” she reassured the survivor. “We’re here to help. Hold still, we’re going to move this off you.”

Together, she and Scourge levitated the rubble off the aged pirate. “Can you sit up?” Liatrix asked gently. “I have kolto for you.”

The pirate’s colours identified him as a Corellian Run Scoundrel. “You’re one of Kai Zykken’s men aren’t you?”

“Yeah, but you’re still gonna help me, aren’t yeh?” The pirate croaked.

“I know your Captain, but don’t worry. Take this. It’ll help,” Liatrix said.

When the pirate hesitated, Liatrix added. “No charge, it’s free.”

The pirate accepted the packet of kolto, but the tremors in his hands kept him from tearing the foil open.

“Allow me,” Liatrix offered. “Do you know if there are any other survivors?”

“Mmm. A guy came ‘round, picked up some folks—but he didn’ hear me. Haven’t heard no one else since.”

“Do you know where they went?”

The pirate shook his head. “Couldn’t see ‘em. Jungles…mebbe? Speeder sounded like it was headin’ that way. You some sorta Jedie?”

“No, I’m not a Jedi. Are you able to stand…or walk maybe?” Liatrix asked as she finished tending his wounds.

Scourge turned away from them, the rain battering his face. His fingers choked the hilt of his lightsaber at the sight of an approaching Imperial astromech. “It appears we’ve been discovered.”

Liatrix shivered, her cloak drenched. “What’s a droid doing out in this?”

“It could be one of Jadus’s,” Scourge rumbled and raised his weapon.

“See what it wants.”

“It wants to mark our location.”

“We don’t know that. See what it wants, maybe it’s here to help.”

Scourge lowered his weapon but his thumb hovered over the switch.

The droid’s dome rotated and its eye flashed blue. A beam of pale blue light wriggled in the downpour to form a broad-shouldered male figure. “Hey, I sent this droid to pick you up.”

“Jonas?”

“Yeah, it’s me. Good to see ya. Storm’s scrambling the transmission—dunno how long I’ve got. Listen, our base is toast, but we’re holed up with a—uh—friend. The droid will bring you—just don’t ask its designation. It doesn’t like that.”

Liatrix smiled. “It’s good to see you too. But it’s not that simple. We found a survivor—one of Kai Zykken’s men. There may be more.”

“Our host rounded up everyone he could find—Doc is taking care of them as we speak. Blindfold him and bring him with you. Once this monsoon clears off, we’ll put together a rescue team, set up a clinic—maybe get the droids to put together a shelter. Sound good?”

“Yeah, sounds good. I’m glad you’re okay. I feared the worst. How’s everyone else?”

Scourge eyed Liatrix intently but said nothing.

“They’re fine we can have a reunion when you get here.”

“See you soon.”

“Yeah. Jonas out.”

The holo light winked out and Jonas’s image vanished. The droid summoned a black Czerka speeder and spewed a rapid burst of beeps at them.

“One moment,” Liatrix raised her hand to stall the droid.

Scourge hefted the scrawny old pirate to his feet and arranged him into the rear seat of the speeder. Liatrix removed her sash and covered his eyes.

“Sorry, we have to do this, but you’ll be safe and you’ll get the care you need. Trust me,” she said.

“Yeh didn’ hafta do this, so I trust yeh.”

“Good,” Liatrix patted the pirate’s wizened hand and settled into the speeder next to Scourge.

The droid warbled a command and the vehicle sped off toward the jungle and the darkening sky.

The crew of the Invidia scoured every deck, level, and service tunnel for the intruder and found no one.

Theron observed the crew from inside a gonk droid. Crouching inside the unit while performing its tasks in the hangar was a more awkward challenge than he would’ve liked. ‘I have to get back to them—I can’t leave without my son. Can’t leave Ilia to that monster either,’ he thought.

While the mechanics and deck officers searched, Theron sliced the ship’s com frequencies and transferred them to his implants.

He marched up the ramp of one of the Imperial shuttles. The cargo area had taken damage and he settled into work on the vessel and eavesdrop.

Theron tapped into the com in Jadus’s quarters and waited. He didn’t have to wait long before Admiral Ethos arrived.

“Report, Admiral. What did your men find?” Jadus asked.

Ethos cleared his throat and clasped his shaking hands behind his back. “We found charges placed along the pipes running from engineering to the fuel processing chamber. They’ve been removed and rendered inactive.”

“And the intruder?”

Ethos moistened his lips before answering. “There’s no sign of an intruder, my lord. We’ve searched every square meter of the ship.”

“Those charges didn’t plant themselves, Admiral.”

“No, my lord. But I assure you, there’s no intruder…perhaps they escaped while we were moored.”

“I suggest you find whoever planted those charges, Admiral,” Jadus hissed with obvious menace.

Ilia scoffed from the corner, arms folded. “You’re wasting the good Admiral’s time, my lord. I told you there’s no one else aboard—that you’d find no one.”

Admiral Ethos whirled on her. “It was you then, wasn’t it? You set those charges. How else would you know?”

“It appears you’ve caught me. Yes, it was me. I did it,” Ilia said placidly. “It was only a matter of time before you’d figure it out—the chair, the debris on the floor. I’d only just returned when you did, Jadus.”

Theron’s eyes bulged inside the droid. ‘Ilia! What are you doing? He’s gonna kill you!’ He muttered a string of High Gamorrean and bashed his metal fist against a crate. ‘I can’t believe she’d just give herself up like that.’

“Admiral, you’re dismissed.”

“Shall I take her to the brig, my lord?” Ethos pressed.

“I said, you’re dismissed, Admiral.”

“Apologies, Lord Jadus,” Ethos rambled and shot out of the Sith lord’s quarters post haste.

Silence hung heavily between Jadus and Ilia before he spoke. “Why?”

“I’m surprised you have to ask. Insurance of course. I wanted to be certain Vector would be safe as promised, after I completed the assignment. It’s quite simple really if any harm were to befall my husband, I wouldn’t hesitate to destroy you. My feelings for you be damned.”

Theron shuddered inside the droid, bile creeping up his throat. ‘And I thought I was crazy. What the hell is she doing?’

His thoughts raced, searching for a way out, a plan, something to free them all from Jadus’s machinations and then a realization struck him.

Ilia had cleared the way for him to escape with the boy. She’d turned Jadus’s rage and focus onto herself and a nauseating pang of guilt bloomed within him; he’d thought badly of her even after he’d made his peace with her. He was at once impressed and horrified by what she had done.

“You scheme like the Sith, agent, but despite your ability, a mere human will never best me. I’ve given you my word, agent. Kill the Alliance Commander and Vector Hyllus and his Kind will survive.”

“Forgive me, my lord, but when you faked your death and left me behind, you broke my heart and my trust. How can I ever be certain you’ll keep your word?”

“With the same certainty, I have in you, agent.”

Theron winced at the exchange and shuddered inside the droid suit. ‘She’s got nerve, I’ll give her that. But Jadus? No way, she’d ever go for him. Urgh.’ Jadus’s voice pulled him from his thoughts.

“It appears additional motivation will be required.”

“Whatever you’re planning, Jadus, please. I’ll do anything—I’m begging you—don’t harm Vector. That’s all I ask.”

Jadus depressed the intercom. “Admiral Ethos, report to my sanctum immediately.”

Theron’s breath caught at the implied threat. ‘Gotta warn them—but how? They’re monitoring outgoing frequencies. If I warn Vector they’ll trace it to me and I’m no good to any of them if I’m dead.’

Jonas paced Keeper’s control room. The holocom unit chimed and a familiar frequency scrolled along the display. “Let’s hope it’s not trouble,” he muttered to himself and answered. “Vector! Tell me you’ve got good news.”

“We’re pleased to inform you, everything seems to be going according to plan. The nest has agreed to help us. While they do not understand the connection we share, they understand the necessity of protecting their own. Has Theron succeeded?”

“Yeah, last I heard he boarded the Invidia. He hadn’t found Ilia yet, but they were refueling at Quesh and after that, on to Korriban. Don’t worry, I’m sure he’s got everything under control,” Jonas reassured.

“Korriban—an unusual choice of destination. It makes us wonder what Darth Jadus is planning.”

“Your guess is as good as mine, but I think it’s as good a place to strike as any. It’s far enough away, that any backup will take a while to show up. Let’s end this…end Jadus.”

“Agent—we do have some concerns—he used Sith alchemy to forge a connection with Ilia. We’re concerned—if he dies, so will she. There must be another way. Surely you understand our worries.”

“Yeah, yeah, I understand.”

“We will bring it up to the nest. Perhaps they will have insight. In the meantime, it appears we are on our way to Korriban. Vector out.”

After Vector’s image faded, Jonas frowned. “I’d rather kill the bastard,” he sighed. “There has to be another way.”

He ran his hand through his hair and left the control room. “Guess I’d better see how Lana’s making out with restructuring the Chrono.”

Half-way down the hall, Jonas heard voices filtering out of one of the anterooms. Following the conversation, he ducked into a niche near the doorway and listened.

“Cipher Nine and Vector Hyllus are working in concert with the Killiks to sabotage the Invidia. If all goes as planned, Darth Jadus will no longer be an issue,” Keeper said.

Jonas dared a peek into the room. The image of a flamboyantly dressed Sith Lord hovered over the com unit and he smiled too much for Jonas’s liking.

“And what of Marr’s daughter and her Wrath?” The Sith asked.

“They should be arriving presently. Agent Balkar saw to their welcome—though it’s my understanding she’s been injured by one of the units. The models we had, have been destroyed. We require another—to develop the counteragent.”

“Excellent,” the Sith clasped his hands together. “It so happens one of our men has one of the units. Slightly damaged, but it should suffice. I’ll be in touch about the rest.”

Keeper bowed slightly. “Of course, Lord Vowrawn.”

After the Sith’s image fizzled, Balkar drew his pistol and marched into the chamber. “You wanna tell me what all that was about? I should’ve known you didn’t come up with these fancy digs all by yourself.”

“That would be where you’re mistaken. I learned early in my career to be prepared. Now lower your weapon if you wish to be briefed.”

“I don’t trust you.”

“That much is evident. Shoot me, or listen. It’s your choice, agent.”

Lana burst into the room behind Jonas. “What are you doing? Is that any way to treat an ally? Put your weapon down.”

“I’m not sold that he’s with us. I just caught him talking to a dead man—who looked very good for his condition.”

“If I wished to keep the conversation secret, I would’ve closed the door,” Keeper hissed. “Don’t be a fool agent. Put down your weapon or use it.”

“I’d prefer you didn’t,” Lana murmured and clasped Jonas’s arm. “You should both know that the Commander and Lord Scourge have arrived. The survivor they found has been escorted to the infirmary.”

“He knew Liatrix was hurt by the Chrono. How long have you been listening on us? Huh?”

“Jonas—I told him—just this morning.”

“Fine,” Jonas snarled and holstered his weapon. “So…talk.”

((to be continued…))

Liatrix is going to give me a whiplash, lol. One minute she's killing whoever she feels like, decimating Zakuul and its people while being cold as ice to almost everybody stranger or otherwise, and the next she suddenly frets over a no-name pirate with all the kindness in the world. Is it the accident, did that affect her temperament? Scourge lessons have helped at least, with the way she's strutting through the ruins looking for survivors.

Ilia's playing with fire but I do admire her taking responsibility for the detonators. Along with the chair and vent, that's a far better excuse than what she originally came up with and hopefully, it'll buy Theron a chance. I do worry about her safety; she's special to Jadus but that doesn't mean he won't put her through a world of pain for this or worse, someone else, especially when she's more concerned about the others in her life than herself.

Silly Jonas stomping his feet and jumping to conclusions, though I can see the confusion with Vowrawn's bodyswap. He's being a little hot-headed but hopefully, Lana and Keeper will get to explain, especially now the others have arrived.

Nice to see you managed to post and good luck with everything.

Welcome back :D

Glad to see that Liatrix' more pragmatic side has once more emerged. I have the feeling that she'll need it in the days to come. Good thing Scourge is by her side to offset the eventual shock of seeing her children and to help her plan for any Jadus confrontations. He still seems a bit hesitant to fully trust her feelings though. Guess we'll see.

I must say I admire Illa and her quick mind and willingness to put herself in harm's way for those she loves. I dread to see what Jadus has in mind as a punishment. I agree, Theron, Urgh.

Same old Vowrawn with a new face, no wonder Jonas was a bit put out. I do love Keeper's reaction of 'shoot me or get with the program', so like him. The reunion of most of the crew and the plans they come up with should be interesting. A lot depends on Jadus' next move, what help Theron or Illa can be and let's not forget Vector. And I still haven't discounted Deston/Vitiate. Nox and the girl are just topping on the cake.

Happy to see your post and wish you well. Looking forward to more.

Liatrix is going to give me a whiplash, lol. One minute she's killing whoever she feels like, decimating Zakuul and its people while being cold as ice to almost everybody stranger or otherwise, and the next she suddenly frets over a no-name pirate with all the kindness in the world. Is it the accident, did that affect her temperament? Scourge lessons have helped at least, with the way she's strutting through the ruins looking for survivors.

Ilia's playing with fire but I do admire her taking responsibility for the detonators. Along with the chair and vent, that's a far better excuse than what she originally came up with and hopefully, it'll buy Theron a chance. I do worry about her safety; she's special to Jadus but that doesn't mean he won't put her through a world of pain for this or worse, someone else, especially when she's more concerned about the others in her life than herself.

Silly Jonas stomping his feet and jumping to conclusions, though I can see the confusion with Vowrawn's bodyswap. He's being a little hot-headed but hopefully, Lana and Keeper will get to explain, especially now the others have arrived.

Nice to see you managed to post and good luck with everything.

Except she's not killing whoever she feels like. Everyone she's killed is an enemy or someone who wronged her, including Zakuul, she saw them as the enemy, including Koth and his people trying to take the ship. This old broken down pirate never did anything to her and was hurt because of her enemies, so she helped. The Chrono did not affect her temperament--this is who she is, merciless to the enemy, decent to those who aren't. I find it interesting that Marr also wiped out a world in my stories, but no one thinks he's a lunatic :D. She just didn't see the guy as an enemy. She is also not strutting around, she was walking the ruins carefully. I probably should've made mention that she was wearing her mask and using her force sight, but I didn't think it was necessary as it had already been mentioned that she needed it, except for when she's sitting around doing nothing. But Scourge's teachings have helped, for sure.

I worry for Ilia too, after getting a few moments to think, she did willingly buy Theron an opportunity. Force help her if Jadus learns about Theron. She knows she has a certain value to Jadus, but even that can be pushed too far.

Jonas doesn't trust Keeper, and I don't think he's enjoying having to rely on him. Suspicions are running high on his part but I'm inclined to think once they really get to talking and comparing notes, he'll see they're all actually more or less on the same side.

Thanks for reading and the kind words, I appreciate it. :)

Glad to see you're back. Take good care of yourself! <3

I'm liking Ilia more and more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her and Theron, and I'm looking forward to the gathering on Rishi!

<3

Thanks <3 I am trying, but giving up so many things I enjoy and having to be so careful with the rest, is difficult and I haven't even started the Thyroid Meds yet...I've yet to find an endocrinologist. Tomorrow is Doctor day, so, hopefully, he'll have a referral for me.

I'm glad you like Ilia, she is truly a good person, I'd say with her temperament she's a bit of an anomaly in Imperial Intelligence--she's a patriot, but a kind person and I think this is why Keeper has always looked out for her. Thanks for reading and for the lovely comment. <3

Welcome back :D

Glad to see that Liatrix' more pragmatic side has once more emerged. I have the feeling that she'll need it in the days to come. Good thing Scourge is by her side to offset the eventual shock of seeing her children and to help her plan for any Jadus confrontations. He still seems a bit hesitant to fully trust her feelings though. Guess we'll see.

I must say I admire Illa and her quick mind and willingness to put herself in harm's way for those she loves. I dread to see what Jadus has in mind as a punishment. I agree, Theron, Urgh.

Same old Vowrawn with a new face, no wonder Jonas was a bit put out. I do love Keeper's reaction of 'shoot me or get with the program', so like him. The reunion of most of the crew and the plans they come up with should be interesting. A lot depends on Jadus' next move, what help Theron or Illa can be and let's not forget Vector. And I still haven't discounted Deston/Vitiate. Nox and the girl are just topping on the cake.

Happy to see your post and wish you well. Looking forward to more.

Thanks Misha, it means the world to be back. :) I think you're right about Lia, she was always pragmatic, but maybe not always obvious when met with enemies. Scourge is a bit hesitant still, but it is good that he's by her side in the days ahead.

Ilia is a good person and the sort to sacrifice for the greater good, or for others. I think she was always a bit of an odd bird in Imperial Intelligence, just because she is such a good and kind person. She does own a certain amount of sway with Jadus, but not so much that he'll forgive anything.

Jonas doesn't trust Keeper at the best of times, never mind, when he's holed up with him and dependent on him. And given that Lana trusts him, and the others have fallen in line with their responsibilities, he feels a bit alone, so suspicion is running high with him. Seeing Vowrawn anew was definitely a way to raise his ire. I love Keeper too, and his attitude is always so, almost blase in situations like that. He's seen it all and I think he's gotten a pretty good idea of who is actually going to act on their threat.

There are still quite a few balls in the air, so I hope everything will land the way it should. Thanks for reading and for commenting. I do appreciate the fuel to keep me going these days when energy is hard to muster. :)

I find it interesting that Marr also wiped out a world in my stories, but no one thinks he's a lunatic :D.

I never said nor implied she was a lunatic so I'm not sure where you're getting that from, why you would even bring that up or say the above. I was under the impression this was a 'fall of a hero/villain deconstruction' story, as you've often said and as it's labeled elsewhere, and her actions in this chapter read like the opposite of that. Heroic and altruistic so yes, they confused me and I did wonder whether the impact of the Chrono affected her in more ways than one. It has nothing to do with judgment or gender bias, something I hate just as much myself, and was far from intended as offensive.

I never said nor implied she was a lunatic so I'm not sure where you're getting that from, why you would even bring that up or say the above. I was under the impression this was a 'fall of a hero/villain deconstruction' story, as you've often said and as it's labeled elsewhere, and her actions in this chapter read like the opposite of that. Heroic and altruistic so yes, they confused me and I did wonder whether the impact of the Chrono affected her in more ways than one. It has nothing to do with judgment or gender bias, something I hate just as much myself, and was far from intended as offensive.

Ok, maybe it was just how I interpreted the whiplash comment and what followed, the lunatic thing felt implied because she'd behave one way with some people and another way with others. It is a deconstruction of a villain, she's a fallen hero, and I'm taking a look at what made her behave in the ways she has been. Even villainous types have at least one good quality about them. She had no reason to be mean to the pirate and felt bad that he suffered because of someone trying to get to her. It maybe be confusing but good villains have some positives about them. Here's a link to an article that discusses villains, and she matches quite a bit of the villain characteristic checklist.

https://jerryjenkins.com/what-makes-a-good-villain/

But no, the Chrono didn't affect anything but her perception of the Force and the way she interprets it with her sight. Sorry that I took it wrong, I guess I was having an off day, so I took it negatively. Thanks for clarifying and I hope I was able to do the same. :)

Guess who forgot it's Thanksgiving this weekend. That's right, me. :o Between the bad health non-sense I've been dealing with and everything else, the holiday slipped my mind. Needless to say, I'm now freaking out trying to thaw a bird that should've already been in the fridge for five days as well as doing all the usual typical Thanksgiving-y things that need doing. Long story short, next chapter will be posted on the evening of Saturday, October 13th. Thanks for understanding and a Happy Canadian Thanksgiving/Columbus Day to you all. :)

The Sanctuary of Regret

Chapter Fifty-Six

Lana wedged herself between Keeper and Jonas but sharpened her focus on the younger man. “The Commander and Lord Scourge are waiting in the conference room. I think it best we apprise them of the situation and our plans.”

“Agreed,” Keeper said. “A briefing is in order.”

Jonas blocked the Imperial’s path. “You should’ve had Vowrawn send the schematics for the Chrono. Then we could’ve gotten a leg-up on the counter-measures.”

“That may well be the most useful thing you’ve said since your arrival, Agent Balkar.” Keeper pivoted his heel and strode toward the conference room. When they arrived, he indicated the entrance with an upturned hand, allowing the others to enter before he did.

The meeting room was comfortably appointed with a long oval conference table and upholstered chairs. The walls and floor were constructed of mottled grey stone panels and a black and red Corellian rug swallowed the room’s echoes.

Liatrix and Scourge eyed the doorway as Lana, Jonas, and Keeper filed in. Liatrix and Keeper shook hands and traded brief introductions, while the others took their places at the table. A service droid set a refreshment tray at the center of the table and left.

“I served your father for many years,” Keeper added after his introduction.

“It’s an honour to meet you at last. He always spoke highly of you and I’d always hoped I’d have the pleasure of meeting you.”

“It was quite mutual, I assure you, Darth Incarnal.”

“This is quite a facility you have here,” Liatrix said. “I understand that Doctor Kimble and his family have settled in. I appreciate the hospitality you’ve shown my people.”

“Something I would extend at any time, but especially during a crisis such as the one we’re experiencing now,” Keeper said.

Liatrix took a seat in the proffered chair. “Is there anything we can do to help the survivors?”

“All that can be done at this moment, is being done. Regrettably, we have larger concerns at this time.”

Jonas shifted his weight. “Now maybe you’ll tell us why you were talking with Vowrawn. What’s he got to do with all this?”

“I’m a patriot, agent. The state of the galaxy is such that those of a like mind must work together to defeat the enemy. We need to rebuild before others smell blood. We need to be ready for all comers—and you can guarantee the Republic is thinking similarly. The war with Zakuul depleted our resources and a prolonged conflict with Jadus would only bring further ruin to the Empire.”

Liatrix served herself a cup of black caf. “Jonas told us about the plan involving Theron, Cipher Nine, and Vector Hyllus.”

“Good,” Keeper said with a nod. “Regrettably the plan has a high probability of failure, but no better options were available to us at the time.”

“Theron and Ilia are sabotaging Jadus’s ship,” Jonas began, “so when Vector and his Killik buddies show up, they’ll get a head start taking Jadus out.”

Liatrix frowned. “And how are Theron and Nine supposed to escape?”

Scourge eyed her when she spoke the spy’s name, but sensed nothing amiss in her expression or her feelings. She gave nothing away. Reading her was like reading a blank data pad.”

“Vector is seeing to that,” Lana said.

Liatrix pushed her caf forward on its saucer. “Vector has a lot on his plate. I’d feel better if we had a backup plan. If the Killiks aren’t there, Theron and Nine would be stranded.”

“What’d you have in mind?” Jonas asked.

“Catch up to them, stay out of range, make sure everything goes according to plan. What’s their heading?”

“Korriban.”

“Then once we get fuelled up, Scourge and I will head that way—unless there’s any objection?”

“Fuel could be a problem,” Lana said. “The storm has all but demolished fueling stations, not to mention most were drained in anticipation of it. You may be stuck here for a day, two at most until we can secure what we need.”

“Do what you can, Lana. We need to find Jadus. I need to confront him for all he’s done.”

“Yes, Commander.”

The meeting continued for half an hour and after it ended Liatrix started for the door when a hand closed around her elbow.

“Jonas, did you forget something?” She asked.

“Just wanted to know how you were—and about this mask,” he murmured with a nod to the sleek ebony fabric covering her eyes.

“Scourge made it. He taught me how to see with the Force—the mask helps me focus.”

“Like the Miraluka, right?”

Liatrix smiled. “Yes, exactly.”

“Am I still as handsome through the Force?”

She laughed. “You never change.”

“Thanks—there is one thing you need to know. You can’t kill Jadus—he’s tied to Ilia somehow and if he dies, she might too.”

Liatrix sighed. “I wanted to end this once and for all.”

“And you can—just find a way to do it without killing him.”

“I’ll try,” she promised.

Scourge glowered but before he could interrupt, Keeper had already beaten him to it.

“There is a matter I wish to discuss with you in private, my lord.”

Liatrix glanced back at Scourge before answering Keeper. “All right,” she agreed cautiously and accompanied him down the hall to one of the private anterooms.

Jonas watched them leave and frowned. “I don’t like it.”

“Nor do I,” Scourge muttered.

“Hey,” Jonas smirked. “Did we just agree on something?”

“I doubt it,” the Sith snorted and stalked off.

Keeper closed the doors behind them and ushered Liatrix toward a desk and chairs. “Please have a seat.”

“What’s this about?” Liatrix asked.

“Your family.”

“You mentioned serving my father. Is it about him?”

“No—no, more precisely, it’s about your mother.”

“You knew her?”

“Quite.”

“I wish I had,” Liatrix gazed down at her clasped hands. “I don’t remember much—most of what I know, my father told me. I was just a child when I was abducted.”

“The Jedi stole your memories, yes?”

Liatrix nodded. “I’ve since learned that I wasn’t the first or only one they’d tampered with.”

“No, most certainly not.”

“You knew about it.”

“Information is security—protection for our Empire. It can also serve as a currency to be exchanged and sold to maintain our inviolability.”

“Is that how you got out alive?”

Keeper eyed her keenly. She had much of her father’s instincts and manner, but there was an unnerving sharpness below the surface; a maelstrom of dark water ready to tow the reckless to their death. “I refuse to be coy or deceptive—yes, I used secrets to secure my retirement.”

“Did you blackmail my father? Do you mean to blackmail me?”

Blunt on the surface but with a razor concealed inside. He answered carefully. “No. Never.”

“Where you afraid of what he’d do if he learned the secrets you’re keeping?”

“A logical assumption, but no. I spared your father certain truths because he had suffered enough. He’d lost his wife and child the day I learned the truth.”

Liatrix cocked her head and took her time before answering. “I’m not sure I understand why you asked to talk to me?”

“I’ve followed your career, my lord. I know the heights and depths of which you’re capable to achieve your ends—exemplary achievements others can only marvel at. But I’ve found in my experience that those who chase excellence, and especially those that catch it are incomplete.”

She smiled sadly. “I won’t deny I’m confused about my parent’s feelings for each other. Will you tell me about her? Please?”

The razor instinct vanished alongside the darkness within a blanket of humanity. She was capable of both depending on provocation, much like her father had been, Keeper thought.

“I have a data disk with the information I’ve compiled—every entry made in the journal she’d kept as well as everything I’ve accumulated over the years,” he said softly and withdrew the file from his desk drawer. “Portions of it won’t be easy for you.”

Keeper slid it toward her and she eyed the disc as if it might bite. “It’s strange—you’re giving me something I’ve wanted my whole life—and now that the answers are within reach, I wonder…”

“If you should know them,” he said, finishing her sentence.

Liatrix turned the disc over in her hands. The outside was unremarkable and ordinary, but the promise of what was inside was too much to resist. “May I read it here?”

“I’ll give you privacy,” he said, rising.

“No—if it’s all the same, I’d rather you stay.”

Keeper hesitated.

“Please.”

Keeper sat. “Of course. If you have questions…”

“Thank you,” she whispered.

Keeper made a show of studying this year’s storm forecast while Liatrix read. She’d removed her bandit’s mask and it hung loosely from her wrist. The aloof persona gave way to one more tender. Emotions passed like a never-ending train of magician’s scarves and when she finished she was pale and silent.

“I realize that mustn’t have been easy for you,” Keeper said.

“She was more complicated than I imagined. So was their marriage. I’m sorry Keeper, I’m going to need some time to process it all but I’m grateful to you for sharing it with me.”

“Take all the time you need—that knowledge is for you alone.” He rose and tapped at his com. “Personal archive—erase all entries pertaining and relating to Liaseph Teraan and Liaseph Marr.”

“You didn’t have to do that.”

“No, my lord. It was time. I’d kept it to spare a man I admired but when I learned you were alive, I knew that it was your right to know and my duty to inform you.”

“Do you have children, Keeper?”

“We haven’t spoken in years.”

“I’m sorry...”

“Don’t be,” he interrupted.

“When all this business with Jadus is over—may I come back and see you?”

Keeper cocked his head. “Why?”

“Because you know everything about my father—I miss him.”

“Knowledge of a man and his character does not the man make. I would be a poor stand-in for his memory and I can no more offer you his insights than he can.”

A moist sheen just shy of tears brightened her eyes. “I understand.”

“I am curious—how do you plan to proceed in terms of the Empire? Will you restructure?”

“My father had an idea of what he wanted the Empire to be, but he was always held back by the Emperor’s whims and grudges. I want what my father wanted—strength, stability, and superiority.”

Keeper’s gaze narrowed. The doors behind Liatrix burst open. “Commander, you need to see this,” Lana exclaimed.

“What is it?” Liatrix asked. “Has something happened?”

“It’s a communication from Jadus himself.”

Keeper returned to his com. “IC-FIN—transfer the transmission to this station at once.”

Scourge and Lana arrived first with Balkar on their heels. The wall-sized monitor flickered the words ‘stand by’ scrolling across the screen in Aurebesh.

“I wonder what he wants?” Liatrix mused.

Keeper frowned. “Put it through.”

Darth Jadus dominated the visual, but in the background, Ilia lay suspended against the angled interrogation table. Exhausted, her chin hovered over her sternum and her pert red hair lay matted over her eyes, wisps clinging to her cheeks.

Though Keeper remained cool, expressionless, and visually unmoved, Liatrix sensed his rage surging in his blood.

Beneath it, a flurry of quieter emotions—fear, worry, helplessness—love. The cipher meant something to him.

The visual fluttered and Jadus spoke. “At last, we speak. The time has come for us to meet.”

“How did you know where to find me?” Liatrix demanded.

“Your decaying spirit—the blight spreading through the Force allowed me to find you as surely as a beacon. Even incapacitated, you are an affliction rivaling that of our former Master. You are a disease that must be eradicated before the galaxy can be remade to my specifications.”

“You tried something similar once. You failed then—and you’ll fail now,” Liatrix declared.

“I will meet you on Korriban, at these coordinates, Incarnal. Do not keep me waiting.”

Lana whirled on Liatrix. “Commander it’s a trap. There’s no reason for you to walk into it!”

“She’s right. Don’t do it,” Jonas snapped.

“Your advisors are mistaken. There are many reasons to meet me, but only one to compel you.”

Liatrix scoffed. “Right, name it. Besides killing you and ending this.”

“Your son.”

She stiffened and Scourge set a hand on her shoulder, brows furrowed, his gaze uneasy.

“I don’t believe you. You didn’t need to make up stories. I’ll face you and you will regret it.”

“I thought proof may be an issue. Admiral,” Jadus gestured to someone out of view. Two officers pushed the hover device into the camera’s vista.

Inside the force containment field, a small boy with womprat hair, golden-brown eyes and pale tawny skin rotated.

The child appeared to be unconscious, but the display at the bottom of the unit indicated he was very much alive.

“Littlebean,” Liatrix whispered so faintly it might’ve been a breath.

The child’s eyes snapped open, urgent and pleading, at that moment, as if he’d heard the endearment and his left palm slapped the field.

“Increase the frequency,” Jadus ordered. The officers stepped in and altered the settings. The child flailed and fell unconscious. “I suggest you hurry, Incarnal. He is so very small.”

A thunderous boom sounded in the transmission and the ship rocked hard enough to seemingly unbalance even Jadus. The items around him tumbled to the floor and Ilia’s head jounced from the impact. One of the assisting officers gaped at the viewport, “We’re under atta—”

Jadus choked the officer’s admission before he could finish and the body fell to the floor with a thud. Another boom rocked the ship, ending the transmission, only to leave a black screen and static in its wake.

Liatrix paled, her body rigid and unmoving. “I have to get him.”

“That would be foolhardy. I forbid you to do it,” Lana cried.

“Lana’s right,” Jonas agreed.

“I’m saving my son and that’s the end of it. Don’t just stand there. Find me some damn fuel. NOW!” Liatrix roared.

“That won’t be necessary,” Keeper began. “You may use my personal vessel. It’s fully fuelled and stocked and at the ready. I trust you have some familiarity with the Phantom model? If you find any aspect of the vessel unfamiliar, engage the AI. I’ll have IC-FIN transfer command to you.”

“Thank you, Keeper—for everything. Liatrix pocketed the disc and replaced her mask. “I’ll do everything I can to bring them all back.”

((to be continued…))

Edited by Lunafox