Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The new matchmaker

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HrRav
08.07.2018 , 02:20 PM | #1
Tonight I have been playing gsf for a couple of hours on Darth Malgus, and matches have been poping very quickly. However, so far the matchmaker seems more or less incapable of identifying skilled players and mixing them into fairly even teams.

What is the experience from other servers?

Drakkolich
08.07.2018 , 06:07 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by HrRav View Post
Tonight I have been playing gsf for a couple of hours on Darth Malgus, and matches have been poping very quickly. However, so far the matchmaker seems more or less incapable of identifying skilled players and mixing them into fairly even teams.

What is the experience from other servers?
Wait you expected the matchmaker to be able to predict players skills on day one of a new system while it's either using information based on stats players have been accruing while the system wasn't in place?

It's going to take months of people playing for their stats to reflect what they need too for it to get it going.

The other possibility is they may only be taking into account stats being formed after this patch, which would mean other then requisition everyone started at the same level today and as we play games it's going to learn where to put us.

I'm super happy with how cross faction is making the queue's pop much faster though and that i can play whatever faction I want now.

I've been solo queue ing on Starforge this evening and it was fairly obvious it was struggling to matchmake my new Solo queue alt that only has like 20 games played properly. However other wise it's been a pretty good distribution of players. What was particularly interesting to me was even though I won all my games, my team had more 0 kill players that had very low damage/accuracy then the other team, which means it's definitely trying to off set something.

To me it's looking promising so far, but we're going to have to give it time to figure it all out.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

HrRav
08.08.2018 , 02:10 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
Wait you expected the matchmaker to be able to predict players skills on day one of a new system while it's either using information based on stats players have been accruing while the system wasn't in place?
Well, yes, I did indeed expect the system to be better at predicting player skills. They have months or years of data on most skilled players, but yet the system does not seem to be able to differentiate aces from skilled veterans and skilled veterans from average players. From the games I saw yesterday (and I do of course admit that a dozen games or so is a small sample size) it seemed as all these players were given the same ranking and mixed randomly, which frequently resulted in games with one team consisting of 1 ace, 4-5 veterans and the rest average players versus a team with 2-3 veterans and the rest average players. You could already at the line-up see which team would win and the games also mostly ended in three caps or 50-20 victories in deathmatch.

Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
I've been solo queue ing on Starforge this evening and it was fairly obvious it was struggling to matchmake my new Solo queue alt that only has like 20 games played properly.
This is also a shortcoming of the ranking system the matchmaker is using. We all know that and ace in stock ships will outperform average players and the ranking should obviously be based on legacy and not the stats of an individual toon (or maybe on weighted average of the two, where at least 75% of the ranking is due to legacy).

Maybe you are right and the system will improve its performance, but I suspect that it is going to require not just more data but also finetuning of the parameters evaluated by the matchmaker. In particular, I have a feeling that the ranking scale is capped too early and does not acknowledge the vast difference in skill between an ace and an average player.

However, I do appreciate that games are poping at a steady frequency. The past weeks (where you have had to wait up to half an hour between games even during prime time on the main European server) have not been enjoyable.

Stellarcrusade
08.08.2018 , 09:28 AM | #4
I had a few fast queue pops, but those turned out to be backfills. Then some very slow queue pops. The most of the wars I was in had a premade of aces on only one team, so the outcome was pre-determined and match-maker cannot do anything as it is to help that. So it will only work when there are no aces, or the aces are not all in 1 group, or there happens to be multiple groups of aces. One war had the 4x top-aces premade, and 2x additional aces, the other side had a few solid players, they put up a little fight but the outcome was never in doubt, maybe some work needs to be done.

I do like that I can play the faction I want. I do agree match-maker should examine legacy for stats.

If the goal is to try to make the teams anywhere close to even though, unless there happens to be two 4x ace premades, it would have to either split up premade or perhaps do something like a 4 vs 12 (or 8 vs 12 depending). Really, if there is no chance the 4x aces will ever lose, is it really balanced? I'd like to think the aces would like a challenge from time to time w/o having to wait for the rare case when enough other aces queue. It could work maybe with some tweaks like these.

JecVanguard
08.09.2018 , 02:22 PM | #5
Surely the only way to solve this is to remove the queue as a group option and only allow solo queuing...

HrRav
08.10.2018 , 02:35 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JecVanguard View Post
Surely the only way to solve this is to remove the queue as a group option and only allow solo queuing...
Premades are only a problem if there is only one premade group flying on a server and there are not enough solo queuing skilled players around to balance that group (or if the matchmaker incorrectly places the skilled pilots together with the premade).

I guess it depends on which server you are at, but on Darth Malgus I have not seen any problems with premades. The unbalance I have seen is simply because the matchmaker places too many skilled players in one team and too few in the other. The sad part is that this occurs in around 90% of the matches....

Anyway, although I am almost always solo queuing, I think it would be too drastic to remove the possibility to fly with a group of friends.

Enticy
08.10.2018 , 02:22 PM | #7
Flying around on Satele Shan, I've seen a lot of premades, honestly. Some of which are so obvious that people have similar names, or names based on an obvious theme (i.e., My Little Pony, ship type, Avengers, etc.). But, they don't pop up often enough to fully discourage me.
http://www.swtor.com/r/C5HCPD My referral link.

BretHoffman
08.15.2018 , 10:18 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey there folks -
I would like to clear up a little confusion about the match making changes found in 5.9.2. Here is the patch note for that:

Quote:
Galactic Starfighter matchmaking has been improved to better account for player experience along with their currently selected ship loadout.
  • Prior to 5.9.2 the match maker would build a game around the player who had been in the queue the longest. It would then try to add players with a similar loadout score (Loadout score being based around the best ship in a player's loadout for that match). Players were then sorted by faction or at random for same vs same matches.
  • After 5.9.2 the match maker still attempts to build a match around the player who has been in the queue the longest. It still attempts to build matches with players with a similar score, but that score now takes into account the player's GSF experience (Based on their number of matches played across their legacy) as well as their loadout score. The match then tries to balance out the teams to be as evenly distributed as possible.

The new system does not have a metric for skill. It does take into account the amount of GSF that player has played as well as how good their loadout is. The matches also now attempt to balance the rosters whereas previously they made no attempt to do so.

We will continue to look at the health of the game and the quality of the matches as we go and make changes as needed. Please continue giving feedback!

Thanks,
Bret

phalczen
08.15.2018 , 10:32 AM | #9
Thanks for the clarification Bret!
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

HrRav
08.15.2018 , 12:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by BretHoffman View Post

The new system does not have a metric for skill. It does take into account the amount of GSF that player has played as well as how good their loadout is. The matches also now attempt to balance the rosters whereas previously they made no attempt to do so.

We will continue to look at the health of the game and the quality of the matches as we go and make changes as needed. Please continue giving feedback!

Thanks,
Bret
The skill differences in GSF are huge and need to be considered to create interesting games. Number of played matches is not a sufficient measure. A simple solution---which at least could be worth a try---would be to multiply number of matches with the kill/death ratio.